PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite local restaurant

harry2
March 13th, 2013, 03:17
I should be very interested to know of the favourite restaurant of members, considering the following prerequisites:

1. Central Pattaya (not Jomtien, as I seldom go there.)
2. Little evidence of poor hygiene or food poisoning. In other words a very good chance we will survive the visit unscathed!
3. Excellent value
4. European menu (as well as Asian)
5. Excellent preparation and ingredients.

Finally, I am looking for a reasonably priced venue for excellent steaks.

My most important consideration? Cleanliness and hygiene.

Thank you.

francois
March 13th, 2013, 03:59
harry; can you give us your definition of Central Pattaya? That would help to narrow down recommendations. Beach Road and Second Rd from South Pattaya Rd to Central Road???

harry2
March 13th, 2013, 04:08
Yes, indeed any of those locations, including Sunee and Soi Day-Night areas.

francois
March 13th, 2013, 04:29
Oh, Day Night Plaza! Easy, go to Bordeaux although not necessarily for their steaks but it meets your other prerequisites.

For steaks at a good value, there is Enjoy Andre on the way to Jomtien about half way max between Pattaya and Jomtien and easy by Baht Bus or Motorbike.

http://www.enjoy-andre.be/restaurant.html

My Thai bf's fav restaurant, with European menu, in Central area is Cherry's which has a special menu each day of the week. Not an intimate setting but good and reasonable prices. You will need to go by car,taxi,motorbike.

http://www.cherrys-restaurant-pattaya.com/

lonelywombat
March 13th, 2013, 06:17
The steak side has been covered but might I suggest S&P in Tukcom South Rd entrance . Coffee cakes yes, but also main meals.

I often go there as it is air conditioned, I like the meals and the boys are watchable. However as they are trainees, this week might be different to next weeks

Call in for a coffee and they will give you the main menu to choose from.

Clean and spotless, excellent service I am sure you will return.

harry2
March 14th, 2013, 03:49
Thank you, Francois.

Yes, I will be certainly be trying Bordeaux again: enjoyed it last time I was in Pats. They once had curry-flavoured vol-au-vents as a starter and a very good fillet steak. Do you know if they still do them?

francois
March 14th, 2013, 05:23
Yes, they are still available.

Oliver
March 14th, 2013, 15:44
My boyfriend and I always enjoy Cucumber (opposite Tuc Com) for our Thai food. He enjoys the Thai sea-bass specialities in particular- there are also Western versions available. Dinner for two (generous portions) comes to about 600 baht before drinks. It seems to have a predominantly straight clientele (there's also a small hotel there, recommended on Trip Advisor). The staff welcome us warmly.

Narakmak
March 14th, 2013, 16:51
My boyfriend and I always enjoy Cucumber (opposite Tuc Com) for our Thai food. He enjoys the Thai sea-bass specialities in particular- there are also Western versions available. Dinner for two (generous portions) comes to about 600 baht before drinks. It seems to have a predominantly straight clientele (there's also a small hotel there, recommended on Trip Advisor). The staff welcome us warmly.
My last visit there I got their so called "special" a soft shell crab stir fried curry dish. It was atrociously poor. The crab was clearly from the freezer a long time and it basically was a big soggy mess on the plate. I mentioned to the server that the food was awful and she gave me a look, yes it is, what did you expect at a tourist restaurant like this, you silly farang. Yes I am well aware of what soft shell crab is supposed to taste like.

Surfcrest
March 17th, 2013, 06:27
Last time I mentioned this one, I got a lot of fluff from a few of the members here but in Thailand I quite enjoy MK restaurants....a chain that specializes in hot pot. Now this is one that both westerners and Thais can enjoy and involves more interaction with your date(s) because rather than just sitting there and eating, you both or all are participating in the experience. This makes it a little more fun and can stimulate more conversation, even if it is gestures or humor when there is some gap with languages between yourselves.

The food isn't necessarily western nor is it Thai. When I'm in Hong Kong, hot pot has always been a staple favorite, but it isn't necessarily Chinese either. Add this to the fact that in Thailand, the prices are really quite reasonable compared to hot pot elsewhere in the world and the food is actually quite good for you, leaving you feeling good after the meal.

M K Restaurants are everywhere in both Pattaya and Bangkok. It's been a few years since I've been to Phuket or Chiang Mai, but you may find them there and in other locales throughout the Kingdom. If you are worried about not knowing what you are doing, I've seen plenty of examples of their staff providing a helping hand. If you check out the one in Central Festival in Pattaya, you may get a dance from the staff during your meal.

Surfcrest

RatThai
March 17th, 2013, 15:16
When I am on holiday I tend to like to indulge myself; Top end try; Cafe des Amis; beautiful thai/international restaurant set in a bali style house. Eat indoors or in small garden setting. Extremely professional attitude to fine dining but relaxed atmosphere, superbly cooked food and great choice of wines. I love their rack of lamb, cooked pink to perfection. Second, Mata Hari, been around along time and still top notch. Wonderful restaurant, great service and Foie Gras to die for. I have taken my thai BF their on many occasions and these are the two places he will choose off the international menu rather than stick to Thai. I love helping him try new foods. He and I love red wine.
For everyday the best little cafe without a shadow of a doubt is the Bake and Brew Cafe. Well patronised by local ex-pats in the know and discerning visitors. Does some of the best thai food I have eaten and designed for both the local and western palette. Wonderful friendly staff. Food loyalty card. Easy parking, clean, fresh and comfortable small outdoor terrace as well. Free wifi. If I ever owned an eating establishment in Thailand this would be it. By the way the wife of the owner, both thai, does homemade cakes as well. And right next door to the best local massage, proper thai, and foot massages. 100 baht for one hour, you will not better. Also try the Food Loft in Central Shopping Mall, it's like a glorified food hall but food from all nations. Great views across the bay from the terrace. There are many others I can name. Eating out is one of my pleasures in life and I try new restaurants every time I come to Pattaya. Some of the hotels like the Hilton have superb eating establishments.

aot871
March 19th, 2013, 04:08
Where is bake and brew ?

Neal
March 19th, 2013, 04:29
I have heard a lot about this restaurant AuBon Coin from some fussy people. Not easy to find and this Russian restaurant Asiana just a few builings away. Both get great reviews from people. One day. Joe! Maybe we can go together. I hate eating alone. :crybaby:

Neal
March 19th, 2013, 04:33
Sorry Francois, you can come also. In fact if there are some other people who are interested that can give at least a 7 day notice and not on a Tuesdy, Thursday or Saturday night, just send me a PM. Let's get together!

francois
March 19th, 2013, 04:57
Merci, Neal.

francois
March 19th, 2013, 08:18
There is also Sugar Hut which is about half way to Jomtien from Pattaya. Exceptional setting and ambiance. The food may not match the encompassment but for a romantic evening it can't be matched. Prices are higher but not outrageous. Perhaps one could consider it the Thai equivalent of Cafe des Ami or similar to Cabbages and Condoms (Thai).

http://www.sugar-hut.com/restaurant.html