PDA

View Full Version : Qantas changes flight details to BKK

lonelywombat
March 11th, 2013, 10:23
At last some common sense. Qantas has shifted its daily flight forward to 0940, arrive 16.20

This means that those who are staying in Bangkok or other LOS cities, or for those catching other international flights, are now being considered. Also a big help for those coming in from Europe via BKK, to Australia

Great news for me , as I can be checked in prior to dinner in Pattaya.

Doofus
March 11th, 2013, 11:13
Is that from Sydney the flight being brought forward?

lonelywombat
March 11th, 2013, 13:17
Yes only one Qantas flight per day.

It has a daily Jetstar flight alternating from Sydney and Melbourne

Doofus
March 11th, 2013, 15:45
I did a quick internet search (Qantas website) and as IтАЩm from Brisbane I found that it goes Brisbane to Sydney 6:30-8:10 -> 9:40 to 16:35 for $1475
Doing another search $929 with China Air 23:05 -> 10:00 stopping in TPE.
Going the cheapest route I found Scoot $654 (inc luggage) but with scoot thru bulk head seats (no food, cant eat on air planes anyway) extra luggage and blanket it costs $900. (OON [Gold Coast] 9:00 -> 18:55 stopping at Changi)
My first (and only trip so far) to Pattaya in January this year I paid over $1000 buying a ticket a day before flying thru Thai Airways 14:20 -> 20:30 direct flight.
Yes, I found by the time I was in Pattaya it was late (traffic, checking in etc), and as I forgot to change money at airport, and doing a quick check of money change places (they where closed) I had no Baht! (Yes, my name is doofus....)

So next time I fly to BKK I will be getting an earlier arrival flight!

lonelywombat
March 11th, 2013, 19:41
Doofus I typed into google and got quotes from Melbourne to Bangkok return at half your rates. I fly Qantas because I like the fully laid down flat beds and use upgrade certificates.

The link is htm and I am not sure whether that works. Melbourne and Brisbane are about the same.

This was printed on the quotation page

http://www.farecompare.com/flights/Melb ... arket.html (http://www.farecompare.com/flights/Melbourne-MEL/Bangkok-BKK/market.html)

Popular Flights from Melbourne to Bangkok

Airfare from Melbourne to Bangkok on Royal Brunei from AUD769 round trip
Airfare from Melbourne to Bangkok on China S from AUD809 round trip
Airfare from Melbourne to Bangkok on Jetstar from AUD853 round trip
Airfare from Melbourne to Bangkok on Singapore from AUD885 round trip
Airfare from Melbourne to Bangkok on Malaysia from AUD952 round trip
Did You Know?

188 flights per week fly out of Melbourne, AU connecting to Bangkok, TH
Srilankan Airlines has 4 two stops or more flights between Melbourne, AU and Bangkok, TH.
Thai has the most nonstop flights between Melbourne, AU and Bangkok, TH.
295,891 seats are available per day to fly out of Melbourne, AU connecting to Bangkok, TH
Sydney, AU is the most popular connection for one stop flights between Melbourne, AU and Bangkok, TH.
The shortest flight between Melbourne, AU and Bangkok, TH on Qatar is 10,694 miles.
25 airlines operate between Melbourne, AU and Bangkok, TH
The largest aircraft operated by Air China flying between Melbourne, AU and Bangkok, TH is a 330 with 250 seats.

Doofus
March 11th, 2013, 20:54
I just did some quick searchers and the price difference between Brisbane (where I live) and Melbourne is astounding, Using Flight Centre for example the difference using a few different dates was an average $300 more. Using ITA (using whole month of April) there is $100+ difference....
Melbourne was cheapest, then Brisbane, then Sydney.

lonelywombat
March 12th, 2013, 07:24
The flight by Thai to BKK just under $1000 NON STOP is the best value. You can be in Pattaya early evening.

You made me remember when I used to spend all my Thai money before I left with nothing for the next trip. I now keep around 5000 baht in my pocket for next trip

Pays for taxi and first night out.

There are ATM's in arrivals foyer the opposite direction to meeting the taxi. I never bother as I always carry that cash with me now.

Tell me where you are staying and I will suggest 24 hour ATM's

Hmmm
March 12th, 2013, 12:31
0940 for QF23 is a horrible early departure time out of Sydney, particularly if you're not starting in Sydney.
As of April there will be the option of booking via Qantas the EK codeshare SYD-BKK at 1745/1845, but that gets into BKK at 0110.

QF23 now presents a very delayed connection for any longhaul pax wishing to connect with BA10 to LHR at 0020 which was the previous arrangement, and which may well be the real reason for this inconvenient scheduling .. ie forcing pax to choose the new route from Australia to LHR via Dubai with QF / EK.

lonelywombat
March 12th, 2013, 13:47
I am unsure of the logic of Hmmm re Qantas. My suggestion to you is fly Thai nonstop from Brisbane

The QF23 flys out of Sydney at 0940. I agree with that. I will fly that next trip.

The EK code share that gets into Bangkok at 0100 marries up with BA010 to London is a waste of time for you

Doofus
March 12th, 2013, 14:07
Many years ago when I traveled to Bali I took cash and cards. That trip I lost 3 cards in ATM's. My trip last year to Bali I lost 2 Cards. I tried using a card in Pattaya, declined, but the card was returned. (Yes, I informed the bank I was heading to Thailand, and I placed the notes into the system myself) I have bad luck using cards overseas, [yes my name is doofus].
I used credit card for hotel (I stayed at Copa), and cash for everything else as I made no large purchases.

I tried to keep some Baht for my next trip, but only ended up with under 1000 baht... :(

If I where to fly using Qantas I would need to be at Brisbane Airport 4am (three hours before flight) which would be a very early start.... flying out of Gold Coast 9:00 equals 6am start, plus the added journey time to arrive at Bangkok 18:55. Thai Airways leaves at 14:00 arrives 20:20... You want to get the best out of your holiday, not arriving to late but not waking up early... can't win at times I guess.

As my personal circumstances has changed recently I currently donтАЩt know when I will be heading to Pattaya again, however if certain things happen soon I will be doing the good old purchase ticket and fly the next day again тАУ who I fly with will probably come down to cost AND flight time.

March 12th, 2013, 15:13
Why would anyone fly to London via Bangkok if not stopping over? Emirates is uncomfortable for any aircraft except an A380? Service on Thai is ok. Qantas trolley dollies basically don't give a stuff and of course there's no through flight via Bangkok to London now anyway. I would be flying Cathay, Singapore Air or Thai.

lonelywombat
March 12th, 2013, 15:51
This is getting off the track, but many people have Qantas frequent flyers awards and /are also members of the Qantas Club.

The question was about the Qantas earlier flight from Australia.
Another was a followup re flying from Brisbane.
It was answered that the Thai flight direct was the best bet.

Hmnn raised the late flight to catch the 0100 flight to London. It was irrelevant to the thread.

Hmmm
March 12th, 2013, 20:16
Sorry if I was too obscure for you.

I am unsure of the logic of Hmmm re Qantas. My suggestion to you is fly Thai nonstop from Brisbane

I'm not in Brisbane.

The QF23 flys out of Sydney at 0940. I agree with that. I will fly that next trip.

It's too early for most people.

The EK code share that gets into Bangkok at 0100 marries up with BA010 to London is a waste of time for you

No it doesn't. BA10 leaves for LHR a hour before EK arrives from Sydney. That EK/QF codeshare is however another option for QFF SYD-BKK pax who don't mind a late arrival into BKK and a more civil SYD departure time.

BA10 was previously the main connection for QF23 pax flying onto London from SYD via BKK but the new schedule has made that too inconvenient for QF pax. That was probably Qantas' intention (so that LHR pax fly the new route via DBX), not the convenience of SYD-BKK pax (especially those looking to get to Pattaya for an early grope).

lonelywombat
March 13th, 2013, 07:43
Qantas has just released a press release following China Airlines competing with cut prices Sydney to London

"""Simon Hickey, chief executive officer of Qantas' international unit, said in an interview on Monday that the carrier still had a lot of capacity to fill on the aircraft flying to and from Asia.
One-way fares to Singapore, Hong Kong and Bangkok were cut to $350 each way last week, Qantas spokeswoman Sophia Connelly said. The fare discounts are effective next month.
тАЬWe've got a lot of capacity increase going through ports like Singapore and Hong Kong,тАЭ Mr Hickey said.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-new ... z2NNMex6Z4 (http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-news/qantas-caught-hopping-as-china-bargains-land-20130313-2fzaq.html#ixzz2NNMex6Z4)