PDA

View Full Version : The end of the piano, bar

aot871
March 4th, 2013, 15:32
I have just been informed by the pattaya grape vine, that the cafe royale piano bar is to stop all its nightly singing by the two thai girls , plus the guy playing the piano, at the end of this month. Is this the beginning of the drip drip drip, to its close down . due to lack of income , or just because the bar is almost empty most nights ? Maybe Tom or David , might like to give us some more info

newyorkgeorge
March 4th, 2013, 20:45
Well, i guess if the place is empty most nights, why bother paying for entertainment? to entertain who? David and the bartenders? I heard they are not selling now because the price was too cheap? 45 million baht (1.5 million US Dollars) cheap???????????

aot871
March 4th, 2013, 21:13
REgarding the hotel sale being cancelled , I just checked the hotel webb site , and the for sale info has been removed

stevehadders
March 4th, 2013, 22:22
To be honest, not surprised at all about the piano bar......makes sense as it wasn't popular at all with residents or others....end of an era but thats the way it is sometimes. The terrace was always more popular, and I will continue to use it.

newyorkgeorge
March 5th, 2013, 18:38
To be honest, not surprised at all about the piano bar......makes sense as it wasn't popular at all with residents or others....end of an era but thats the way it is sometimes. The terrace was always more popular, and I will continue to use it.
Yep! times change, and you have to move with them! Cafe Royale is a classic example of what happens to a business when you don't, and now there are many terrace bars in boyztown, some with shows, and all far cheaper than Cafe Royale, so why would you want to go in there? maybe now they will do something new with it? Any suggestions folks? :dontknow:

lonelywombat
March 6th, 2013, 05:52
I stopped going late night to Cafe Royale after the night manager Charlie died . When the late Ian was alive the place had a personality Charlie maintained that involvement until he also died.

It seemed to go downhill when David took over as manager and tried to run his own bar as well. The Thai partners were just there for show as well as their financial interest, but they contributed nothing.

The 24 hour kitchen may still be going, it should have been stopped years ago. The late night bar just had no interest when it became just another hole in the wall.

I often wonder what Punya would do if a package he could not refuse was offered to him?

dab69
March 6th, 2013, 07:40
Noom, the bar manager, will be missed.

Was always great to go down the stairs about 7:00ish to hear
the bright sound of their grand piano warming up.
I usually went in for a drink in the early
evening (actually coffee that early) just to show appreciation.
When the lounge singers showed up,
it was a signal to leave and check out
"other entertainment".

stevehadders
March 6th, 2013, 18:27
Are we sure the whole bar is closing, or just the singers/pianist is going, maybe it will change......I am sure Noom will stay, after all the waiters on the terrace need a "base bar" to get their drinls I imagine, and probably somebody to control the operation.

In terms of Charlie, I dont know/cant remember this person...I remember Mick Cockroft (I think that was hios surname) who was Night Manager a few years ago, he was a real life and soul of the bar, and was missed by many

frequentflier
March 7th, 2013, 07:52
l cant ever remember a night manager called Charlie and I stayed there many times.

paulg
March 7th, 2013, 08:20
That is my fault. I stayed in Yensabai on the same floor as Mick Cockroft.

There were others in the building named Mick so I called Charlie from his days as manager there That seemed to stick with our group.

pepperami
March 9th, 2013, 17:09
Their good at running events - so I think they should do it more often. I was there for the Royal Wedding couple of years back - and it was a blast (despite being humiliated by some American gentleman by my complete lack of British history).

I'll be staying their during Songkran this year - I hope they lay something on :occasion9:

newyorkgeorge
March 9th, 2013, 21:09
No disrespect, but i don't think they can rely on customers who visit once every 2 years? I can assure you NOTHING will be layed on for Songkran in that Soi, totally Taboo! well, historically anyhow, but now with new owners in some of the bars, hopefully things will be different for this year? :party

pepperami
March 10th, 2013, 01:53
I visit Thailand yearly, and plan to do so for the foreseeable future. I happen to think my opinion is valid...

I mention events, because its something I think they can do well - and by not doing them, they are maybe missing a trick. The royal wedding was a full house - and was full of hotel guests, and expats (though of course I have no idea how successful it was commercially).

What constructive suggestions do you have?