PDA

View Full Version : US Embassy Notary Letter for Income, Deadline

PattayaBob
March 2nd, 2013, 22:41
I went to the US Embassy Outreach Friday and was informed by the staff there that certain Immigration Offices are only taking Income Letters Notarized in 90 days not the previous 1 Year dating. Someone had checked with Chonburi Immigration and was told that the 90 day only was in effect. I did not hear this first hand, so please check ahead before filing for your Yearly Visa. Anyone else heard of the new rule?

Neal
March 2nd, 2013, 22:45
I am slightly confued about your question. When you go to the Embassy for your statement of income letter once a year don't you within a short period of time go to immigrtion for your 1 year visa? I don't understand what you mean by it is only good for 90 days.

PattayaBob
March 2nd, 2013, 23:05
Before you go to Immigration for your 1 Year Visa you must have a letter notarized by the USA Embassy stating your yearly income. Previously Immigration would take a letter dated within a 1 year period, now it must be dated withing the 90 days you apply for your visa. Clear on it now?

Neal
March 2nd, 2013, 23:10
OK that's what I thought you meant but needed to be sure. Now the next question is where are you getting that letter notorized in the US or Thailand? Am I assuming Thailand is correct?

Sooty
March 3rd, 2013, 03:35
You mean the Thais used to take what can actually be a bare-faced lie about your income notarized by an Embassy ie. not worth the paper it's written on, one that's up to a year old and now they'll only accept a bare-faced lie that's up to 3 months old??? The whole bare-faced lie scam is well covered in a e-book available from Amazon How to retire to South East Asia http://www.amazon.com/retire-South-East ... B007GSVXDW (http://www.amazon.com/retire-South-East-Asia-ebook/dp/B007GSVXDW)

francois
March 3rd, 2013, 06:06
Are you speaking from personal experience as a bare faced liar?

Neal
March 3rd, 2013, 07:56
No Sooty is talking about it from being a bare faced ASSHOLE as usual. :angryfire:

Sooty
March 3rd, 2013, 07:59
The Embassy simply certifies that you told them something. They don't certify that you told them the truth as they don't bother verifying what you told them. It's a scam.

Neal
March 3rd, 2013, 08:07
Now isnt that a more proper way to explain it. See you dont have to be an arse all the time now do you?

Narakmak
March 3rd, 2013, 09:30
I am fairly certain when using an income letter for retirement extension qualification in Thailand, you DO need a fresh letter every year at Jomtien and cannot use the previous year's one Within 90 sounds reason able. I does not need to be super fresh like the bank letter needed for those using a bank account method.

Neal
March 3rd, 2013, 09:38
Yes you are correct Narak. I think he is talking about getting the letter of income notorized by the local embassy and then taking that to immigration. I was just trying to get all those answers before I told him that his info was incorrect.
When getting a letter from your embassy here in Thailand you cannot use the same letter that you got the year before but actually that really is moot as they take the letter from you at Thai immigration office so therefore you don't have possession anymore.
If you get it in the states, yes, there will be other documentation you may need when going to the Thai Embassy. This is why it matters as to the Embassy you are going to and in which country.

Up2U
March 3rd, 2013, 14:41
The Embassy simply certifies that you told them something. They don't certify that you told them the truth as they don't bother verifying what you told them. It's a scam.
I suggest you learn how to use the word scam properly. You are right though, the embassy simply certifies that you, holder of an American passport states under penalty of perjury that your income is xyz. Now if someone wants to perjure and subject themselves to deportation or worse, that's their self inflicted problem.

Up2U
March 3rd, 2013, 14:48
I went to the US Embassy Outreach Friday and was informed by the staff there that certain Immigration Offices are only taking Income Letters Notarized in 90 days not the previous 1 Year dating. Someone had checked with Chonburi Immigration and was told that the 90 day only was in effect. I did not hear this first hand, so please check ahead before filing for your Yearly Visa. Anyone else heard of the new rule?

I was at the outreach and heard the same thing. A friend did an about face and decided to return at a future date since his permission to stay expires in November.

Neal
March 3rd, 2013, 15:35
Yes well I understand that but I guess what I don't understand is why someone would go now rather than going to one of the next Pattaya Outreach dates?
I will post a list of future dates for 2013 but I think it sensless and annoying to members if I sticky it for all of 2013.

Sooty
March 3rd, 2013, 15:43
The Embassy simply certifies that you told them something. They don't certify that you told them the truth as they don't bother verifying what you told them. It's a scam.I suggest you learn how to use the word scam properly. You are right though, the embassy simply certifies that you, holder of an American passport states under penalty of perjury that your income is xyz. Now if someone wants to perjure and subject themselves to deportation or worse, that's their self inflicted problem.I'm perfectly happy to scam the Thais. As for misleading the authorities of my home country, civil disobedience is one of my favourite activities and I doubt that there are any consequences whatsoever in this particular circumstance.

Up2U
March 3rd, 2013, 20:28
Yes well I understand that but I guess what I don't understand is why someone would go now rather than going to one of the next Pattaya Outreach dates?
I will post a list of future dates for 2013 but I think it sensless and annoying to members if I sticky it for all of 2013.

I can think of a few. They will not be in Pattaya for dates of the future Outreaches or they came to the Outreach with on March 1 not knowing that the policy had changed from one year to 90 days (true for most people there).

Up2U
March 3rd, 2013, 20:32
The Embassy simply certifies that you told them something. They don't certify that you told them the truth as they don't bother verifying what you told them. It's a scam.I suggest you learn how to use the word scam properly. You are right though, the embassy simply certifies that you, holder of an American passport states under penalty of perjury that your income is xyz. Now if someone wants to perjure and subject themselves to deportation or worse, that's their self inflicted problem.I'm perfectly happy to scam the Thais. As for misleading the authorities of my home country, civil disobedience is one of my favourite activities and I doubt that there are any consequences whatsoever in this particular circumstance.
Consequences?.....I nominate you to be our guinea pig.

francois
March 3rd, 2013, 21:12
Sooty may have good reason to "scam" the system as he puts it; however all the Americans I know who get letter of income from the US Embassy do meet the financial requirements and truthfully attest to that.

Neal
March 3rd, 2013, 21:31
I would think the US government my not do anything unless it was something that later on caused them any type of embarrassment or cost. I would also think that would hold true for just about all the countries.

Sooty
March 4th, 2013, 08:06
Consequences?.....I nominate you to be our guinea pig.I would be happy to do so up2u if you can suggest a foolproof way to verify the facts in my post when I report back.

2lz2p
March 4th, 2013, 11:07
An Embassy Warden here in Pattaya was also told at the Outreach visit by the Embassy staff there that they had had reports that the "income" letter had to have been issued within 90 days of your application for extension or renewal of extension. The Warden went to Chonburi (Pattaya) Immigration afterward to inquire if this was now the case and was told yes - they will only accept Embassy "income" letters that have been issued within the past 90 days at time of application.

When I first obtained my retirement extension and for renewal for several years thereafter, Pattaya Immigration did not take the original letter; only a photocopy. They allowed you to use another photocopy the following year - I used the same letter for 4 years and got a new one only because I had to renew my passport so the data in the letter had changed.

However, it appears that Pattaya Immigration was the only Office doing this and Bangkok HQ instructed them to start taking the original letter instead of a photocopy. So a few years ago, they started taking the original letter. Until now, they were accepting the letters up to one year old - that has apparently now changed.

Since the US Embassy ACS unit makes outreach visits quarterly, those of us that live here shouldn't have a problem - just get the letter at the Outreach visit preceding your renewal anniversary date (Chonburi/Pattaya Immigration will allow renewal applications up to 30 days before the current one expires - sometimes even more if there is a valid reason, e.g., will be out of Thailand on the expiration date and not returning until after the expiration date).

Some Embassies require proof of income before issuing the letter, others do not. I'm sure a few may perjure themselves by declaring a false amount; however I think the majority report accurately. I always have evidence with me (annual pension statement) when I renew; just in case Immigration might ask to see "proof" - so far, I have been retired here for over 10 years and never been asked; but I still have it just in case.

Sooty
March 4th, 2013, 12:12
If you read Thaivisa there are numerous references to "visa shops in Pattaya" where, so a friend tells me, for a fee they will provide the 800k evidence of funds both for the initial application and for the yearly renewal as well without the "funds in the bank for two or three months" rule being required. The scam involves a Pattaya branch of a well known Thai bank with impeccable connections and, presumably, someone on the take at Pattaya Immigration.