PDA

View Full Version : Gun control in Thailand

Sooty
March 2nd, 2013, 14:03
Just wondering if there are any issues about gun control in Thailand after everything we've been reading in the papers over the last few months about other countries. Are there many murders involving guns? Has any prominent Thai been assassinated or otherwise had an accident involving a gun?

Up2U
March 2nd, 2013, 15:07
Why do I think you know the answer to your question?

March 2nd, 2013, 17:11
Why do I think you know the answer to your question?I think Sootys being very very naughty again.

Khor tose
March 2nd, 2013, 17:39
Just wondering if there are any issues about gun control in Thailand after everything we've been reading in the papers over the last few months about other countries. Are there many murders involving guns? Has any prominent Thai been assassinated or otherwise had an accident involving a gun?

I suspect he knows too, but I love pussy cats. According to NationMaster.com Thailand with a population of 66 million had 20,032 murders with firearms which compares to the USA with 350 million that had 9,369. Still feel that you are safe living in Thailand?

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_m ... h-firearms (http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_wit_fir-crime-murders-with-firearms)

kjun12
March 2nd, 2013, 18:55
That is some amazing statistical data. I am somewhat shocked by it.

arsenal
March 2nd, 2013, 20:07
How many of those murders were Thai on Thai. The huge majority I would expect.

timmberty
March 2nd, 2013, 21:58
How many of those murders were Thai on Thai. The huge majority I would expect.
being as 95% + of the population of thailand is made up of thais. id imagine you might well be right.

cdnmatt
March 2nd, 2013, 22:05
Ummm, not sure if you know this, but Thailand has quite strict gun control laws. Thais can't just meander into a store and pickup a gun. And for farangs, it's even far more difficult. Farangs need PR status to legally own a firearm, and it takes 3 years of consecutive non-imm VISAs to even be eligible to apply, let alone a host of other things.

Not sure what point you're arguing. If you're trying to argue Thailand has lax gun control and a low gun violence rate, then you're not doing a very good job.

Neal
March 2nd, 2013, 22:08
being as 95% + of the population of thailand is made up of thais. id imagine you might well be right.

Where do you get that data from?

timmberty
March 2nd, 2013, 22:15

Where do you get that data from?
i didnt it was a guess ... i was going to say 90% but thought 95% would be closer ... why am i wrong ?
theres a first time for everything i surpose !!
altho now thinking about it a bit more .. i'd have a more reasonable stab at 75% then about 14% chinese and the rest whoever ... see it pays to do a bit of research.

Neal
March 2nd, 2013, 22:23
Well you say now 14% may be Chinese. Well there are no figures from you on that ither and if it is true last time I checked Thais were not "Chinese". So you see you may be talking about 60% Thai and the balance all sorts of falang and until someone digs up the research....Beachlover or Lonely.... we wont know what that ratio is. I'm sorry but i just want to make sure the stats are correct

timmberty
March 2nd, 2013, 22:25
ah ha but thats where you are wrong dear boy ... .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Thailand
and thats wikipedia ... so it must be true.
altho they have made a spelling mistake in the very first line of the ethnicity post .. they say ..Thailand's population is relatively homogeneous
surely they mean homo genius ??

Neal
March 2nd, 2013, 22:38
Well they also say Thai Chinese and I have no idea why you would mush two different groups of people together as the question is Thai on Thai. Second that data is not recent. So there LOL! :occasion9:

timmberty
March 2nd, 2013, 22:44
Well they also say Thai Chinese and I have no idea why you would mush two different groups of people together as the question is Thai on Thai. Second that data is not recent. So there LOL! :occasion9:
they all look the same to me so, why not mush em all in together !!!!
was that a tad racist ? its wasnt meant to be because i like thai's and i also like chinese ..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04QoA44c23A

Neal
March 2nd, 2013, 22:46
But one comes from Thailand and one comes from China. Enough on this.

arsenal
March 3rd, 2013, 07:32
timmberty: I was replying to Khor Tose who asked if people still felt safe living in Thailand. This figure probably also includes those engaged in the troubles in the south as well as those who conduct their business in the Golden Triangle and are therefore more likely to come into contact with guns. Perhaps you know the old adage
"There are lies, damned lies and statistics."

MARK
March 3rd, 2013, 09:38
The Numbers of murder involving gun would be much hire here in Thailand but for one major factor, Thais can barely aim and use a gun when they are sober, and as most of the crimes are committed by drunken youths most of the time they miss by a mile. Its not the person they are aiming at that has to worry its any one ells stood around. :evil4: :evil4: