PDA

View Full Version : Thailand signs peace deal with Muslim terrorists

Beachlover
February 28th, 2013, 11:32
This deal won't end the violence for good but it is a start...

The Muslim insurgency in South Thailand is one of the lesser known Muslim insurgencies around the world... yet it's still a fairly violent one.

The Philippines and Indonesia also face similar insurgencies in parts of their country. Mainland China too. Can't recall if any other Asian countries have the same problem.

------

http://www.smh.com.au/world/thais-sign- ... 2f83x.html (http://www.smh.com.au/world/thais-sign-historic-peace-deal-with-insurgents-20130228-2f83x.html)

Thais sign historic peace deal with insurgents

KUALA LUMPUR: Thailand's government has signed its first-ever agreement with a rebel group in its Muslim-majority south, pledging to work toward peace talks aimed at ending a festering insurgency.

The potentially historic deal was signed on Thursday in Kuala Lumpur between Thai officials and a representative of the Barisan Revolusi Nasional (BRN) rebel group ahead of a visit to Malaysia by Thai premier Yingluck Shinawatra.

Ms Yingluck was to meet later in the day with her host, Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak, for annual talks set to include the nine-year insurgency and the possibility of Malaysia hosting future Thai negotiations with the militants.

There has been a recent spike in attacks along Thailand's border with Muslim-majority Malaysia, where the nine-year insurgency has claimed more than 5500 lives.

The "general consensus document to launch a dialogue process for peace" was signed by Lieutenant-General Paradorn Pattanathabutr, secretary general of Thailand's National Security Council, and Hassan Taib of the BRN.

"Thank Allah we will do our best to solve the problem. We will tell our people to work together to solve the problems," Mr Hassan told reporters after the ceremony.

Mr Hassan was identified as the "chief of the BRN liaison office in Malaysia".

Officials involved in the ceremony otherwise offered little comment on the agreement and a text of the pledge was not handed out.

Barisan Revolusi Nasional or National Revolutionary Front, is one of several shadowy groups blamed for the unrest in Thailand. It remains to be seen whether other groups will fall in line behind it.

Prospects for peace have been dogged by the complex make-up of the insurgency and doubts persist over the level of control that older, exiled leaders known to Thai authorities exert over the younger fighters on the ground.

On Wednesday, Mr Paradorn said in Bangkok he hoped peace talks could start "soon" in Malaysia.

Thailand's southernmost provinces suffer almost daily gun and bomb attacks by insurgents fighting for greater autonomy, a demand Thai authorities have rejected.
AFP

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/thais-sign- ... 2f83x.html (http://www.smh.com.au/world/thais-sign-historic-peace-deal-with-insurgents-20130228-2f83x.html)

Surfcrest
February 28th, 2013, 12:57
"The Barisan Revolusi Nasional (BRN) is a separatist movement based in northern Malaysia and operating in southern Thailand. The group was formed in 1960 and remains active.
The group is divided into three main factions:
BRN Congress, led by Rosa Burako, is the military wing and the most active of the three groups, continuing to conduct military operations currently.
BRN Coordinate is a political wing, involved in activities in Malaysia but not active in Thailand.
BRN Uram is focused on political and religious activities and was previously led by Hajji Abdul Karim until his death."

There is no reference in the article to this separatist movement as "terrorists" and certainly Thailand and indeed the world will not start to live in harmony with one another by continuing to label the Muslim cause as such.

Surfcrest

February 28th, 2013, 16:21
"Muslim terrorists". A tautology surely?

thrillbill
February 28th, 2013, 17:50
It is a fact that all religions have their share of fanatics or extremists; however, in my life time it seems to be the Islamic extremists who like to blow themselves up or use violence to get their way. I do not like labeling a particular religion as "wrong" or "miltant" but to me it is safe to say it are the Islamic extremists (which there seem to be more of) cannot accept to live with people who believe differently. Sad, since 50 years ago many could . Unfortunately the silent majority of the Islamic faith have to keep quiet, or they will face punishment from the "big bullies with guns".

February 28th, 2013, 19:03
I guess I missed the part where it says the BRN has NOT resorted to terrorist activities. It appears that they are both separatists and terrorists. The fact that they are also Moslem would support kommentariat's comment.

Surfcrest
February 28th, 2013, 22:17
It is a fact that all religions have their share of fanatics or extremists; however, in my life time it seems to be the Islamic extremists who like to blow themselves up or use violence to get their way. I do not like labeling a particular religion as "wrong" or "miltant" but to me it is safe to say it are the Islamic extremists (which there seem to be more of) cannot accept to live with people who believe differently. Sad, since 50 years ago many could . Unfortunately the silent majority of the Islamic faith have to keep quiet, or they will face punishment from the "big bullies with guns".

Really thrillbill.....really?
I'm not sure where your exposure to current affairs comes from, but certainly you must have heard of the Arab Spring?
Are the families being shelled in their homes in Syria right this moment terrorists?
Have you heard about Lybia or Egypt......or?

I have spent a number of years living in Central America and I have seen the burnt out foundations of churches where whole villages of people, men, women and children were locked inside and burned alive by a government installed by the CIA in the name of cleansing out communism, when in fact these people's only sin was to be living on land better suited for growing bananas for the US fruit companies. I just turned 50 myself and clearly my perspective differs greatly from your's. No, I don't believe in terrorism but I'm educated enough to know that people don't blow themselves up for no reason at all and I am concerned that my government is engaged as to these reasons and taking all necessary measures not to repeat the pain and suffering civilzations have had to endure as a result of ignorance to avoid future senseless acts of violence or terrorism.

Clearly, Thailand is not signing peace deals with terrorists...and the article has been sensationalized by the OP despite the words terrorists or terrorism NOT being mentioned in the article provided.

Surfcrest

Marsilius
February 28th, 2013, 22:27
The BBC News website is very careful to call them "rebels" (rather than "terrorists" or anything else) throughout its report. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21611764

But the author includes in his report the statement that that "The rebels in mostly Muslim southern provinces are fighting for greater autonomy from Buddhist-majority Thailand and carry out almost daily gun and bomb attacks against civilians and security forces."

Are the gun and bomb attacks on civilians not an attempt to intimidate them by terror? Does that not make the perpetrators "terrorists"?

rincondog
February 28th, 2013, 22:40
One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

sclivejames
February 28th, 2013, 23:53

It's not only Islamic,have a look at the damage/maiming/murder so called "Christian" terrorist organisations have done in the past few decades in the West.

timmberty
February 28th, 2013, 23:56
One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.
nelson mandela springs to mind.

Marsilius
March 1st, 2013, 00:36
In his current state of health, I doubt very much if he's springing anywhere.

timmberty
March 1st, 2013, 00:38
In his current state of health, I doubt very much if he's springing anywhere.
i'd not be so sure ... i bet at his age he has to wear a diaper ...

Surfcrest
March 1st, 2013, 06:27
The BBC News website is very careful to call them "rebels" (rather than "terrorists" or anything else) throughout its report. ┬аhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21611764

But the author includes in his report the statement that that "The rebels in mostly Muslim southern provinces are fighting for greater autonomy from Buddhist-majority Thailand and carry out almost daily gun and bomb attacks against civilians and security forces."

Are the gun and bomb attacks on civilians not an attempt to intimidate them by terror? ┬аDoes that not make the perpetrators "terrorists"?

...and what did the BBC report in respect to the 1994 multi-party negotiations between the Provisional IRA that lead to the IRA declared ceasefire and the IRA decommissionment of all weapons that allowed┬аSinn F├йin be admitted to similar peace talks...and how is that really different than what Thailand is trying to do and what is / has been done around the world to end conflict.

Surely there are extremists that are involved in armed conflict or acts of terror and perhaps this is a two way street in the region when it comes to the violence.

Regardless, the article that the OP is trying to sensationalize or mislead us with does not mention either "terrorism" or "terrorists", that Thailand is specifically in talks with.

i'd not be so sure ... i bet at his age he has to wear a diaper ...

"Nelson Mandela served 27 years of his life in the Robben Island and Pollsmoor Prison for his cause (a very good one by all accounts) and has received international acclaim for his anti-colonial and anti-apartheid stance, having received┬аover 250 awards, including the 1993┬аNobel Peace Prize, the U.S.Presidential Medal of Freedom┬аand the Soviet┬аOrder of Lenin. He is held in deep respect within South Africa as the "Father of the Nation", where he is often known under his┬аXhosa clan name┬аof┬аMadiba."

I find your comment very disrespectful considering the personal sacrifices this man made toward making the world a better place.

You are the first and only on my ignore list.

Surfcrest

timmberty
March 2nd, 2013, 01:31
i would call you a pompous twat .. but being as you wouldnt see it i shant bother ..

Beachlover
March 6th, 2013, 10:16
Whoops! Unconscious substitution. LOL. :rolling:

Never mind... it's prompted an interesting discussion.

Beachlover
March 6th, 2013, 10:23
Anyway... Here's a couple more articles I read and saved in a taxi a few days ago if anyone's interested.

They go into more depth on the situation and dynamics present on both the Malaysian and Thai end of the situation.

Some of the reasons Malaysia is getting involved: http://www.smh.com.au/world/risks-and-p ... 2fbnh.html (http://www.smh.com.au/world/risks-and-potential-rewards-as-poll-nears-20130301-2fbnh.html)

Should be noted that Malaysia did broker a peace deal between Philippines government and Islamic rebels/terrorists last year.

Second article goes into more depth on the dynamics present in Thailand:
http://www.smh.com.au/world/thais-swall ... 2fbnj.html (http://www.smh.com.au/world/thais-swallow-doubts-on-malaysias-role-in-peace-talks-20130301-2fbnj.html)

Thais swallow doubts on Malaysia's role in peace talks

March 2, 2013

BANGKOK: It was to be a brazen attack, even for south-east Asia's most violent conflict.

Fifty heavily armed militants crept towards a fortified marine base in southern Thailand before dawn on February 13, unaware government elite forces had learnt of the attack and set a trap.

When the shooting ended 20 minutes later 16 of the militants were dead, a humiliating blow for insurgent groups fighting a jihad to establish an Islamic state in three Malay-speaking Thai provinces.

It appeared the decade-old conflict that has claimed the lives of more than 5200 people remained as intractable as ever amid an increasing number of bombings and shootings, including at government schools.

But what only a few people knew at the time, including those at the highest levels of the Thai and Malaysian governments, was that two weeks later an agreement would be signed for peace talks.

The talks would be ''facilitated'' for the first time by Malaysia, despite deep reservations by Thailand's military and other key agencies which have strongly resisted any foreign involvement in attempts to end the violence, all of which failed.

''We need to move forward as soon as possible,'' the Thai Prime Minister, Yingluck Shinawatra, said in Kuala Lumpur late on Thursday, where the Barisan Revolusi Nasional rebel group signed an agreement to take part in the talks.

''I have to say we are seeing a better direction in solving the problem, and I consider it a good start,'' Ms Yingluck said.

It is unclear whether other insurgent groups will agree to join the talks, which Malaysia's Prime Minister, Najib Razak, said would begin in Kuala Lumpur in two weeks, adding the signing was ''merely the starting point of a long process''. For the first time, insurgents have been recognised by the Thai state and for the first time they will have an open forum to discuss their demands.

The Asia regional director for the Geneva-based Centre for Humanitarian Dialogue, Michael Vatikiotis, said Malaysia's involvement was an important step towards resolving the conflict.

''Thailand needed to see the importance of Malaysia playing a role. The conflict was not going to be resolved without Malaysia's participation,'' Mr Vatikiotis said.

''This open process is something the [insurgent] movement will look closely at because it is a sign of sincerity on behalf of the Thai government. The movement is divided on dialogue, but its leadership will engage if Thailand shows sincerity.''

Anthony Davis, a Thai-based analyst at the security consulting firm IHS Jane's, said the talks were a ''major milestone тАж this is not just business as usual. This confers a level of legitimacy on the armed opposition in southern Thailand, from which realistically there is no going back.''

But the talks may face institutional resistance from Thailand's military, which has 60,000 troops in the south, enforcing a state of emergency. Udomchai Thammasarorat, the commander of the Fourth Army in southern Thailand, said the military had ''nothing to do with the decision''.

''We've opened up other ways to begin dialogue including giving insurgents an opportunity to turn themselves in and fight their case through the Thai justice system,'' he said.

Malaysia's involvement will be modelled on the way it helped broker an agreement between Islamic rebels and the Philippine government last year.

The violence in southern Thailand greatly worries Malaysia and has often strained its relations with Thailand.

The insurgency has long relied on havens and supply networks across the border in Malaysia, but the government in Kuala Lumpur denies funding, arming or providing any other support to militants.

The seeds for the agreement were sown in March last year when Thailand's most famous fugitive, the Prime Minister's brother Thaksin Shinawatra, flew to Kuala Lumpur on his private jet and secretly met insurgent leaders, including the senior separatist figure Hassan Taib, who signed the deal on Thursday.

''God willing, we'll do our best to solve the problem. We will tell our people to work together,'' Mr Hassan said on Thursday.

Mr Thaksin chooses to live in exile rather than return to Thailand where he faces two years' jail on corruption charges.

This week's agreement hung in balance for almost 12 months as Malaysian security agencies disagreed on what role Malaysia should play, sources said.

Analysts said one of the most difficult issues confronting Malaysia would be identifying the leaders of insurgency groups that blend a formal hierarchy with a diverse network of village-based cells.

Marc Askew, an expert on southern Thailand at the University of Melbourne, said that for a long time the Thai military and government figures had been prepared to talk with insurgent representatives but the movement has been ''highly splintered and on occasions individuals pop up their heads to claim a status they simply do not have''.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/thais-swall ... 2fbnj.html (http://www.smh.com.au/world/thais-swallow-doubts-on-malaysias-role-in-peace-talks-20130301-2fbnj.html)

latintopxxx
March 6th, 2013, 17:38
historical facts are not in doubt, Siam annexed (stole..occupied!!) these 3 Muslim states a 100 years ago, the people are not Thai, speak a totaly diffrent language and parctise a different religion.
Clearly the Thais should accept that they dont belong there. Took the British a few hundred years to exit most of Ireland and this will no doubt be the same, only a question of time.