PDA

View Full Version : Bordeaux Restaurant

harry2
February 28th, 2013, 04:15
Can anyone tell me if Bordeaux restaurant in Soi Day Night still exists?I had heard the Frenchmen who ran it had moved on. It was/is one of my favourites: I found the food excellent.

Can members recommend similar good-value-for-money restaurants not too far from South Pattaya, where the emphasis is not value for money, consistency and good food hygiene? I know of Bruno's.

Many thanks.

sclivejames
February 28th, 2013, 04:31
Harry,i recall there was a thread a few weeks ago about this restaurant.
Havent heard about the owner leaving though.As far as i know the restaurant is trading normally and i hear better than average trade.

As for restaurants,there are off hand about 5 in Sunee Plaza now.

Neal
February 28th, 2013, 04:43
Harry there is a search box in the upper right .Just put in Bourdeax but here is the link. I gave it very low marks for service, quality and cutomer service. I would not go back. New owner is very nasty, food to be desired and service slow.

post266865.html?hilit=bordeaux#p266865 (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/post266865.html?hilit=bordeaux#p266865)

francois
February 28th, 2013, 05:35
Can anyone tell me if Bordeaux restaurant in Soi Day Night still exists?I had heard the Frenchmen who ran it had moved on. It was/is one of my favourites: I found the food excellent,

harry2; yes Bordeaux still exists. There was a change of ownership about a year ago.
The food remains excellent and the prices reasonable. Another decent restaurant in South Pattaya/Sunee Plaza is Le Bouchon Thai.

Up2U
February 28th, 2013, 06:43
Can anyone tell me if Bordeaux restaurant in Soi Day Night still exists?I had heard the Frenchmen who ran it had moved on. It was/is one of my favourites: I found the food excellent,

harry2; yes Bordeaux still exists. There was a change of ownership about a year ago.
The food remains excellent and the prices reasonable. Another decent restaurant in South Pattaya/Sunee Plaza is Le Bouchon Thai.
When in south Pattaya we really enjoy this restaurant. If anything the food is better under the new owner and management. I still think the best french restaurant is Au bon Coin on Pratumnak hill.

danny99
February 28th, 2013, 11:34
. Another decent restaurant in South Pattaya/Sunee Plaza is Le Bouchon Thai.

Is this connected to Serge's long time Le Bouchon in Bangkoks little Patpong? If not it is a bit of a name rip-off?

Neal
February 28th, 2013, 12:14
Are both French? And even if they are not Le Bourdeaux and Le Bouchon and the names are miles apart.

Oliver
February 28th, 2013, 15:06
I like this restaurant; it's the only non-Thai one I use in Pattaya. I find the prices excellent, the service professional and the food delicious. Very gay-friendly, too.

lonelywombat
February 28th, 2013, 15:26
I also like Bordeaux not because it is pretentious but it is reasonable food, good wines compared to others same price range, better service than most at that price, and friendly.

The comments about that local soi restaurants can be viewed here

http://www.nickysgaypattaya.com/gay-pat ... urants-dn/ (http://www.nickysgaypattaya.com/gay-pattaya/daynight/restaurants-dn/)

I go to La Cuisine au Berre not as often, Grottos often and sometimes with friends for lunch at Salt and Pepper.

The S&P restaurant at the South Rd entrance of TukCom , you should also try, all or any meals great value.

If you look at the map on the left side of Tukcom is the best coffee you can get in Pattaya. I dont go every day as I start early at Grotti's.

Directly opposite Bordeaux is a newish Bar La Botte which I most certainly recommend.

sclivejames
February 28th, 2013, 15:43
Yes opposite Le Bordeaux is this Wine Bar..........must admit i've never seen anyone in there though.

francois
February 28th, 2013, 19:39
. Another decent restaurant in South Pattaya/Sunee Plaza is Le Bouchon Thai.

Is this connected to Serge's long time Le Bouchon in Bangkoks little Patpong? If not it is a bit of a name rip-off?

The full name is Le Bouchon Thai and I doubt any connection.

sclivejames
February 28th, 2013, 19:56
Here's one in Sunee,never tried it though,it's in the old TREET'S BAR.

gerefan2
February 28th, 2013, 22:20
sclivejames

Here's one in Sunee,never tried it though,it's in the old TREET'S BAR.
Dont bother. The chef/owner sits in the, usually empty,Restaurant with his friends smoking away non stop. Its awful.

stevehadders
March 1st, 2013, 14:07
I had been to Bordeaux 4 or 5 times, when I decided to visit again last year.I have to say, compared to previous visits, I was bitterly disappointed with the quality of food, and the service was standard at best. I love eating Thai food whilst in LOS, but twice a week at least will eat Western food, but when I do I like it to be a pleasant experience (after all I am on holiday), and I am afraid this was not. I maybe will give the restaurant another chance, as we all have an "off day", but I won't be rushing back there when I next visit in April.

Neal
March 1st, 2013, 15:00
See? And everyone was telling me I was wrng! The menu is confusing the service poor, the attitude fucked up and food medicore at best. You can try again but I will not. Owners attitude sucked when I was asking him why he did not have a popular French sauce. Bernaise

stevehadders
March 1st, 2013, 15:04
There was a real "dont give a damn " attitude....

lonelywombat
March 1st, 2013, 16:06
Great adverse advertising for Pattaya and its gay or gay friendly restaurants.

Neal, If you have negative opinions, Id suggest you sit on them

PattayaBob
March 1st, 2013, 16:10
Le Bordeaux is a very nice restaurant, both owners are always friendly and accommodating. I go there often, there is a wide selection of set menus to choose from at very reasonable prices and a very extensive selection of other entrees. The waiters are very courteous and helpful. They are always pretty busy so I guess they must be doing something right. Give it a try.

TOQ
March 1st, 2013, 16:14
It does seem like it is all hit and miss with this place. Some seem to love it others can not be bothered. That is pretty much the case with most restaurants in town. I for one have been there twice and see no need to return. I just did not like the food but I found nothing wrong the service or the owners. Not rude at all.

I agree with Up2U that Au bon Coin has to be the best in town. But as stated before, it is all up to individual tastes.

sclivejames
March 1st, 2013, 17:47
See? And everyone was telling me I was wrng! The menu is confusing the service poor, the attitude fucked up and food medicore at best. You can try again but I will not. Owners attitude sucked when I was asking him why he did not have a popular French sauce. Bernaise

and what did he say to make you upset dear? I'll tell you what,why don't we get everyone that goes there to ask the poor sod where the Bernaise sauce is?

I notice thet "Le Bordeaux ,open at 10am mornings now for breakfast............

Neal
March 1st, 2013, 18:06
Great adverse advertising for Pattaya and its gay or gay friendly restaurants.

Neal, If you have negative opinions, Id suggest you sit on them

On this board dah-ling I will not cover up what happened to a party of 5. When you treat customers like second class you get a reutation and other people are made aware. It has no bearing on Pattaya and as for "gay friendly" restaurant would be the same when someone complains about service in a bar.....does not get covered up. may I ask have you EVER complained about service in a bar or restaurant on this board? I am sure you have. I will not sit on it. :pain10:

sclivejames
March 1st, 2013, 18:48

I suppose it depends on how you asked him....in a polite way or another way?
I know Lonely Wombat ran a fine dining for a few years,so he would understand more than me about complaining diners but I guess its not easy trying to be nice to customers when you really dont feel like it.

Neal
March 1st, 2013, 19:06
OK last post from me on this. We sat down to this HUGE menu that was in French and English and all mushed in the same lines. Very confusing. I spotted Chateaubriand. The waiter asked what kind of sauce I wanted and I said bernaise sauce. He was confused and asked me 2 or 3 times to repeat. He left and came back with the owner who asked me to repeat what sauce I wanted and I repeated bernaise sauce. He said it was not made in the restaurant. I said you dont have bernaise sauce? It is the sauce on chateaubriand (look it up on the internet but I did not say that to him). I said it is a french sauce as common as ketchup is to USA. He said well there are a lot of french sauces and we dont make that. I took peppercorn sauce which is unheard of on chateubriand but wanted to get up and walk out but I was the guest of 4 others. The meat was tough and yet was supposed to be the most softest meat, the end portion of a tenderloin. Maybe he uses Thai beef I dont know but it was tough. 3 out of the 4 others were not happy with thier meals and th service. People who came in after us were being served.They also thought the owner was rude to me. We all went and said no to desert cause we just wanted to leave. Last comment. Run a good restaurant with quality food and I will not bitch. Ritz I gave a good review and they are an inexpensive restaurant and not an advertiser.

sclivejames
March 1st, 2013, 19:17
Dont know if I would have let him put me off the dessert..........speaking of dessert had my favourite Fried Ice Cream" at China Garden ,and I just found "bread and butter Pudding with ice cream" yum !

ultimo
March 1st, 2013, 22:49
OK last post from me on this. not an advertiser.

Went with a couple of friends a two weeks ago.
Very good value on 3 courses and the sweet was delightful.
As far as service was concerned it was well above average and the French owner, smallish guy with glasses ( I understand that the other partner is his boyfriend who I believe is Thai) came to ask us how the meal was and was very amenable.
Certainly would recommend it as a 'good value' option.

harry2
March 2nd, 2013, 04:38
Very interesting comments here.

Clearly the restaurant has changed, and the Frenchmen have gone: I thought they were pretty decent and ran a professional restaurant. Neal is not keen on the newcomers - quite obviously - and there are mixed reviews nevertheless: I think it is worth a go.

The Ritz? Neal is this a gay establishment?

March 2nd, 2013, 04:47
I wonder how many people make new friends on holiday in Thailand - I don't mean with the prostitutes we fuck - and go out to meals and so on with them? I've always thought the best number for dinner is two - myself and a damn good waiter.

lonelywombat
March 2nd, 2013, 05:58
The Ritz owner operates a girly massage bar just 100 yards away same soi. Claims he is homophobic have been met with defence from gay attendees.

You can get more info by doing a search, as there has been a lot of posts about it.

My friends like the Ritz mainly by the size of the helpings. I am not in favour of steamed vegetables with roasts, or other dishes. Usually go along with them, when they want big helpings.

The menu has not changed that I can see. but it has a regular stream of repeat business. Think price and size of helpings.

Up2U
March 2nd, 2013, 07:52
Very interesting comments here.

Clearly the restaurant has changed, and the Frenchmen have gone: I thought they were pretty decent and ran a professional restaurant. Neal is not keen on the newcomers - quite obviously - and there are mixed reviews nevertheless: I think it is worth a go.

The Ritz? Neal is this a gay establishment?

The new owners are French too. They kept the same menu design which is unfortunate because it is confusing to a "newbie". It is French on one side and English on the other. They use terminology which is confusing to many, such as entrees and plats. Plats is the main course and entrees are what many call starters. They also have starters to add to the confusion. The specials are on a chalk board which is carried over to your table. They still have the set menus which are a good value.

Sooty
March 2nd, 2013, 08:01
They use terminology which is confusing to many, such as entrees and plats. Plats is the main course and entrees are what many call starters.Only confusing to Americans who call main courses "entree" for some reason that completely eludes the rest of the world although this post may hint at an answer http://www.dailywritingtips.com/what-is-an-entree/

"plat" is a main course as it's from the French "plat principal" being of course "main (or principal) course". That's from the French ... and ... let me think now ... this is a French restaurant? Its owners are French?? The world does not revolve around America despite all those maps of the world purporting to show otherwise.

francois
March 2nd, 2013, 09:28
It is true, the layout and of the menu is confusing no matter what language one speaks.

Neal
March 2nd, 2013, 11:56
To say the least Francios but Sooty likes to put down Americans for anything. Sooty can take his snotieness elsewhere if he wants.

March 2nd, 2013, 13:45
To say the least Francios but Sooty likes to put down Americans for anything.A man of taste and discernment then! :party

Up2U
March 2nd, 2013, 14:12
They use terminology which is confusing to many, such as entrees and plats. Plats is the main course and entrees are what many call starters.Only confusing to Americans who call main courses "entree" for some reason that completely eludes the rest of the world although this post may hint at an answer http://www.dailywritingtips.com/what-is-an-entree/

"plat" is a main course as it's from the French "plat principal" being of course "main (or principal) course". That's from the French ... and ... let me think now ... this is a French restaurant? Its owners are French?? The world does not revolve around America despite all those maps of the world purporting to show otherwise.

So happens our dining group was mixed, some Americans, Brits and Europeans, but we were all non-French. No one heard of a plat. Looked it up later and yes it is French for "main course" but the rest of the non-French speaking world also uses "entree" for main course. You can see the confusion; from the restaurant menu:

starter+entree+plat+desert = 420 baht

On their website, they understood the confusion and now have changed the wording on the website menu. "Plat" is now called meal. The word "entree" has been changed to starter and starter (old) is now called "soup". ...Whew!!

March 2nd, 2013, 17:07
but the rest of the non-French speaking world also uses "entree" for main course.Not in Australia sport.

timmberty
March 2nd, 2013, 17:11
for some it may be better to go to an eaterie that has pictures on the wall. you can then point and say, i want that one
or as the french might say .. je veux que l'on..
or as an american might say .. givemeitall...

lonelywombat
March 2nd, 2013, 17:12
I agree with Brisbaneguy--not in Australia. How about the UK?

Oliver
March 2nd, 2013, 17:18
The menu is certainly large....but to be honest, I'd forgotten that; what I remember is that I enjoyed the dinner, even the sweet (I haven't had isles flottantes in a decade) and so did my boyfriend. And that is what counts. As well as a reasonable check-bin for three courses a la carte, wine and an aperitif.

paperboy
March 2nd, 2013, 17:45
whats all the fuss over all these French resturants :violent1: :violent1:
All the years ive been going to Thailand ive never met 1 frenchmen
Pattaya seems to have a lot of French resturants compared to other holidays towns

Neal
March 2nd, 2013, 18:04
Well I know they advertise here and many think I am just trying to give them a plug but the Cafe des Amis is a fine French restaurant. Get a starter, entree or plat or main course or what ever you want to call it, desert all for about 1,000 - 1,200 baht. A great atmosphere without having to listen to evreyone trying to talk over each other because of the acustics, a nice menu with fish, chicken, lamb, duck, Australian and and US prime beef, I mean you name it. Great service and linen atmosphere with a beautiful decor. Check em out and tell them you saw it on Sawatdee. Also click on thier bnner in the Gay Thailand Forum here and look at thier place and menu. See what you are missing. Open 4 pm til ? Closed Sundays. Now that's a plug!

timmberty
March 2nd, 2013, 18:11
a french resturant selling top quality australian and american beef in thailand .. !!!
can you not see whats wrong here ??

Neal
March 2nd, 2013, 18:35
No. A lot better than Bourdeax selling tough Thai beef. The beef that is sold is considered some of the finest in the world and its more about preperation, sauces and stuff. Not about where it came from.

timmberty
March 2nd, 2013, 18:41
well my thoughts are that a frech resturant should be selling french beef ... its ok if macdonalds sell whatever old shyte they can get hold of...
it brings to mind a conversation i had with a polish friend of mine .. he went on about how great this polish cafe was .. so i asked where the food was sauced from, he said its all english .. so i said what makes it polish food then, like you, he said it its made with polish hands its polish food ...
long story/short ... we got round to ... so if you shag your girlfriend with an english condom does that mean she is getting ragged by an english guy !!! confused ? i still am.

Neal
March 2nd, 2013, 19:36
Well its not a matter of just French hands and it has little bearing on where the meat and ingredients are from it is all in the way the food is prepared. Usually the difference is the length of time it takes to prepare the foods, many are prepard with roasing bones, simmering table scraps overnight and then clarifying it in the morning. There are many dishes and ingredients that take a fairly long time to prepare such as fois gras, pates, lamb shank and exquiste deserts. It seems to generally be regarded as very high-end and expensive but that all depends on what a person feels is expensive. I feel anything over 2,000 is starting to get pricey but 1,000 is still reasonable if the atmosphere is nice, linen table cloths and napkins not just a French owner, name and a menu with French words. And for gosh sakes make sure you are able to make French popular sauces!

timmberty
March 2nd, 2013, 22:01
the sauce is always the most important part of any french meal .. as it takes away the taste of the meat ...
fois gras is evilness personified ... tho i must admit it is nice .

francois
March 2nd, 2013, 22:34
for some it may be better to go to an eaterie that has pictures on the wall. you can then point and say, i want that one
or as the french might say .. je veux que l'on..
or as an american might say .. givemeitall...

I hear americans say "canIhave....."
As for the french a common expression is ...je prend du/de la ...( I take of the..)

I recall many Thai menus do have pictures so one can point to their selection.