PDA

View Full Version : Depression in Thailand

lonelywombat
February 27th, 2013, 05:22
Do you think putting down people with mental health problems is necessary?
It has nothing to do with your income.
My former Psychiatrist was situated in a City business area,near a Stock Exchange,I use to see guys with Armani suits in the waiting room.
A lot of people are sufferer's ,have you heard of organisations such as Beyond Blue?

I had to "jump through hoops' to qualify for the Disability Pension and that meant seeing umpteen Psychiatrists ,many of whom try to look for some inconsistencies to say you can work at least some hours a week,but I was a lot smarter than them. :evil4:

Recently there has been remarks on depression in various threads.I have taken this post from another to open a new thread
The winner of the Oscars made a statement about the film she just won an award for. What facilities are available for farang in Pattaya?
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/si ... 6586029872 (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/silver-lining-oscars-darling-jennifer-lawrence-may-save-lives/story-e6frg6n6-1226586029872)

Jennifer Lawrence speaks out on mental illness
Oscar winner wants to "get rid of stigma"
BeyondBlue: Lawrence's comments "will save lives"
JENNIFER Lawrence's comments about mental illness at the Academy Awards "will save lives", one of Australia's top advocates has said.

Lawrence, the new darling of the film industry after she won the Best Actress gong at the Oscars, said she was on a campaign to change the public perception of mental illness after accepting her award.

She was recognised for her role in the David O. Russell drama, Silver Linings Playbook, about two troubled people who find connection and stability with one another.

She used her moment in front of the cameras to address the issue with authority.

"I don't think we're going to stop until we get rid of the stigma for mental illness," she said. "I know [director] David O. Russell won't, and I hope that this helps.

"It's just so bizarre how in this world if you have asthma, you take asthma medication. If you have diabetes, you take diabetes medication.

"But as soon as you have to take medicine for your mind, it's such a stigma behind it."

BeyondBlue CEO Kate Carnell says Lawrence's comments were incredibly poignant, with one in four Australians still believing that people with serious mental illnesses should simply "suck it up".

"It's just fantastic that somebody as high-profile as Jennifer is, at a time when she's winning an Oscar, takes time to address mental health," she told news.com.au.

"It will help, it will save lives.

"Stigma is still a very real problem. It's something that's incredibly detrimental to people who have depression and anxiety and can lead to suicide."

Lawrence isn't the first famous face to address serious issues and help drag them into the public discourse.

Elizabeth Taylor and Princess Di were two of the greatest campaigners of AIDS awareness in the 1980s. Likewise, Bob Geldof gave a spotlight to third-world poverty through Live Aid in that decade.

Despite his recent drug confessions, Lance Armstrong's LiveStrong foundation managed to give cancer a global fundraising platform, and a strong brand to drive it.

And Matt Damon has toiled to bring Africa's sanitation and water supply crisis into the mainstream view.

Sometimes it takes a glamorous public figure like Lawrence to give a traditionally unglamorous issue like mental health its time in the sun.

"We'd like more people in high places, or people who have influence, to talk about the issue of mental health," Ms Carnell added.

"It helps that Jennifer made the point that mental illness is just the same as physical illness."

Lifeline agrees it is "definitely positive" to have a celebrity talk to the issue of mental illness.

"We have always leveraged off people with high profiles. If it's done in a constructive way, like in this case, it's definitely a positive," Lifeline spokesman John Mendel said.

"Our view is that it's very healthy to have a conversation around mental illness and suicide because that's the best way to overcome the stigma and taboo.

"It serves as a bit of a gateway for people to seek help for themselves, or to encourage others to seek help."

If you or someone you know may be at risk of suicide contact Lifeline 13 11 14, beyondblue 1300 22 46 36, or Salvo Care Line 1300 36 36 22.

Read more about mental illness with news.com.au's Lifeline series here.

Follow @christoforpaine on Twitter

Dodger
February 27th, 2013, 05:34
How depressing.

February 27th, 2013, 05:49
Mental health issues including Depression was for years swept under the carpet...cause of the stigma...people felt they couldent talk to their friends and family about it so suffer'd in silence....its only in the last few years that thier is more education and people are starting to understand it more...its as bad an illness for those affected as any physical illness...the mind and the body work together..people have to stop being so judgmental...and show a bit more love and kindness

catawampuscat
February 27th, 2013, 06:40
Fortunately many cases of depression are easily treatable with anti-depression medications ...

ikarus
February 27th, 2013, 08:44
I thought the thread is about economic depression. Fortunately, Thai economy is booming and probably one should talk about inflation in this context.
As for OP, (and without reference to any concrete poster), the number of disability cases in US grew dramatically recently. There is no doubt that some people abuse the system and get disability benefits without actually qualifying for it. I call this guys "Obama Eagles". New American reality definitely encourage people to go after
various government handouts, increasing in this way Obama's electorate base...

Neal
February 27th, 2013, 08:59
Well I think we need to decide if we are talking mental depression or economic and sperte off a thread if both. My annoyance is that recently as i have lost my insurance benefits people told me about applying for SSI Disability. I have to guilty feelings fo applying as it is the money I put in all my life and it is obvious I will not be around come 62 or 65 so give it to me now. Well what annoys me is that the website and information states that renal failure (kidney failure have no idea why everything has to hve two names these days) is an automatic approval. i mean you can't fake that easily can you. :sign5: If you are dialysis 3 times a week you have renal failure. Anyway it is supposed to be automatic. I applied in July 2012 and my hearing before the disability board is not until April 2 just for a decision!
Maybe the paperwork is wrong and they can reject it for more months! They wont even look at it and it is an automatic approval. Why dont they have heaings for stuff like this that is 1,2,3 approved rather than mental depression or physical disabilities can often be exaggerated? I will keep you posted about what they sy April 2

sclivejames
February 27th, 2013, 10:08
In answer to your question Neal maybe your Social Security Dept want proof your condition is "permanent"

Have a look at this appeal case from Australia ,where the applicant was appealing against the decision to REFUSE him a disability pension because the Dept of Social Security said his kidney failure couldnt be classified as "permanent",in other words they said he can work?

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/cases/cth/ ... 2/896.html (http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/cases/cth/AATA/2012/896.html)

Neal
February 27th, 2013, 10:18
Yes they have all those records and have had hem from Bangkok Pattaya since July.

Manforallseasons
February 27th, 2013, 10:21
Fortunately many cases of depression are easily treatable with anti-depression medications ...

Medications that are banned in the U.S. such as "Redux" where they were banned for causing depression are sold here.

Khor tose
February 27th, 2013, 12:48

Medications that are banned in the U.S. such as "Redux" where they were banned for causing depression are sold here.

It did more then cause depression. A friend of mine was taking it for obesity for awhile and she experienced severe back pain and found herself unable to sleep for days at a time. Definitely NOT a safe drug.

February 27th, 2013, 21:40
I'm convinced that as we learn more about how the mind works we are going to realise that criminals are not "morally deficient" but in fact have their brains wired that way, so eventually prison will be less and less the right answer. I'm quite sure that pedophilia for example is a mental illness not a "lifestyle choice".

timmberty
February 27th, 2013, 22:51
neal, there is a very very very simple anwer as to why it takes loads of people loads of goes to get your benifits sorted out .. they do it first time, how many are out of a job ?? but if you owed them money, its one look and pay up ..

sclivejames
February 28th, 2013, 00:23
I'm convinced that as we learn more about how the mind works we are going to realise that criminals are not "morally deficient" but in fact have their brains wired that way, so eventually prison will be less and less the right answer. I'm quite sure that pedophilia for example is a mental illness not a "lifestyle choice".

Interesting ........I do believe there are Psychiatrists who do believe the same thing......it's hard to know.....other Psychs would differ in opinion.

I remember a few year's ago I was seeing a Psychiatrist who told me he didn't believe in Multiple Personality Disorder ......I always wondered about that after seeing that movie "Sybil"......."oh it's a load of bunkum" i remembered him saying.

Khor tose
February 28th, 2013, 08:16

Interesting ........I do believe there are Psychiatrists who do believe the same thing......it's hard to know.....other Psychs would differ in opinion.

I remember a few year's ago I was seeing a Psychiatrist who told me he didn't believe in Multiple Personality Disorder ......I always wondered about that after seeing that movie "Sybil"......."oh it's a load of bunkum" i remembered him saying.
What did your other three personalities have to say about that. :dontknow: I just kidding Clive. :happy7:

latintopxxx
February 28th, 2013, 10:04
..mental illness or not...no one...no one has the right to abuse minors...keep it all between consenting adults.....

sclivejames
February 28th, 2013, 11:10
One threatened to sue..............i wont say which one... :jok:

But funny how sometimes you cannot see everyone with Depression,often after someone's suicide many will say they werent even aware of that person being depressed.

timmberty
February 28th, 2013, 22:55
depressed people go out of their way to show how happy they are when in the company of others, its only when they are alone does in show. thats how i feel .. im not a super depressed person, but i have bouts of it.
do you know i sometimes get fed up with laughing because it just feels so fake !!

latintopxxx
March 1st, 2013, 05:56
I'm sure the rates of depression have risen due to MTV ......people now days think that unless you live in a palace with 6 bedrooms, 8 bathrooms, 3 lounges, a pool and have at least 3 impossibly thin gorgeous girls friends draped over imported luxurt performance cars then they must be failures....and as for facebook...have you noticed...seems like the whole world does nothing but party and go on holiday .....like thats the real world.

paperboy
March 1st, 2013, 06:36
Latintopxxx, yes its the real world
i work hard and play hard, just back from Brasil now off to gran canaria.
Trip all booked for 6 weeks in may-june. Thailand, cambodia
so yes, its all work play and holiday for me
The pink pound, euro, baht, dollar goes a long way, no wife, no kids, morgage paid, great biz up and running
and im no where near 50 :party
bring it on

March 1st, 2013, 08:43
..mental illness or not...no one...no one has the right to abuse minors...keep it all between consenting adults..... There's an original thought - someone with a mental illness that includes compulsive behavior is simply exercising their rights or in this case doesn't have a right to exercise their rights. Do you understand the concept of mental illness? I'm assuming that a kleptomaniac who goes shoplifting is merely exercising their right (even though it's illegal) according to your logic?

kjun12
March 1st, 2013, 09:46
Have any of you had any experience with Thais and mental illness. It is very difficult to talk with them about this. They cannot deal with mental illness in any form.

I once tried to get my boyfriend to go to marriage counseling and he would not hear of it. It required threats of divorce to get them there and he told the psychiatrist that I was totally wrong and that there was nothing wrong with him. This could even be true but it was the way he told the Dr. about it. He was frantic in trying to convey that there was nothing wrong with him.They have a serous aversion to admitting or acknowledging that they have anything that could be actually or construed as a mental problem. I don't know if other Asian cultures have this aversion or not.

kjun12
March 1st, 2013, 10:04
Have any of you had any experience with Thais and mental illness. It is very difficult to talk with them about this. They cannot deal with mental illness in any form.

I once tried to get my boyfriend to go to marriage counseling and he would not hear of it. It required threats of divorce to get them there and he told the psychiatrist that I was totally wrong and that there was nothing wrong with him. This could even be true but it was the way he told the Dr. about it. He was frantic in trying to convey that there was nothing wrong with him.They have a serous aversion to admitting or acknowledging that they have anything that could be actually or construed as a mental problem. I don't know if other Asian cultures have this aversion or not.

Khor tose
March 1st, 2013, 10:13

I've been told that repeating yourself is one sign of mental illness. :hello2: Khun12 the x at the top will erase a message you don't want.

Seriously, I am not an expert on all Asian cultures, but I have read where mental illness is something that Asians do not deal well with. I have seen some of that attitude with my Thai friends. We had a clinic near my house that specializes in children's medical problems, but will see anyone for medical problems, but the doctor who runs the clinic is a psychiatrist who cannot get enough customers in his specialty so just works the clinic as a medical doctor.

March 1st, 2013, 10:17
People, not only Asians, don't hesitate to say that someone else has a mental problem, but it is often impossible to get those with problems to understand that they themselves have problems. According to this article, there are 2 million Thais with untreated mental problems:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted 2012-09-20 12:26:42 Thailand sees growing numbers of mental patients

PHITSANULOK, Sept 20 -- Public Health Minister Surawit Khonsomboon said Thailand currently has more than 3 million mental patients, but only one-third of them are receiving treatment, at the countryтАЩs 17 mental hospitals nationwide. By 2070 when Thailand becomes more urbanised, society in general will be more fragile and more people will consequently suffer from mental problems.

Urbanisation will be more intensified in eastern Thailand and family size will be smaller, while more women will become family leaders, Dr Surawit predicted. The World Health Organisation (WHO) has been concerned with the increasing number of patients from depression worldwide, he said. Depression has moved up from the fourth rank in 1990 to the second, after heart problems, among five most serious ailments. If nothing is done, depression may contribute to a higher suicide rate.

In its development plan on mental service for 2013-2016, the Public Health Ministry will expand service to all age groups including children, women, teenagers and elderly people. According to the ministryтАЩs goal, 70 per cent of Thai people of all ages will be free from mental problems and the emotional quotient of at least 70 per cent of young people will not be lower than the universal standard. The suicide rate must be less than 6.5 persons per 100,000 persons.

The public health minister on Wednesday received a donated plot of land in the northern province of Phitsanulok to build a mental hospital. (MCOT online news)

latintopxxx
March 1st, 2013, 10:47
kommenteriat.....i must be having a slow week....I simply dont understand your comment...

kjun12
March 1st, 2013, 11:20
..mental illness or not...no one...no one has the right to abuse minors...keep it all between consenting adults.....
You are simplistic if nothing else.

Unfortunately, it would appear that there are only two "cures" for pedophilia. Those are death or confinement for life. I have studied this topic extensively and even many pedophiles admit that they cannot be cured. Psychiatrist who are knowledgeable about this topic say much the same. Still, you are correct,even if it is an illness we cannot allow these people to prey on children for whatever reason.

timmberty
March 2nd, 2013, 01:15
i think most young gay thai men have mental illness .... why else would they hang out with us lot :lam:

latintopxxx
March 4th, 2013, 03:02
paperboy...apologies for the late reply.....but been working.....I too tried early retirement 6 years ago....lasted 9 months...the "good life"...bored me....I need to interact with real people..doing real things....good luck...and enjoy...hope you manage to retain your sanity.

Khor tose
March 4th, 2013, 07:28
i think most young gay thai men have mental illness .... why else would they hang out with us lot :lam:

Because we are intelligent, kind, charming, sweet, caring and sophisticated. By the way ,if you are delusional does that mean you are mentally ill? :help:

Sooty
March 4th, 2013, 08:15
I'm sure the rates of depression have risen due to MTV ......people now days think that unless you live in a palace with 6 bedrooms, 8 bathrooms, 3 lounges, a pool and have at least 3 impossibly thin gorgeous girls friends draped over imported luxurt performance cars then they must be failures....and as for facebook...have you noticed...seems like the whole world does nothing but party and go on holiday .....like thats the real world.As US Secretary of State John Kerry said recently "The fact that most people are too stupid to know how dumb they really are is the fabric holding our society together" ... Or something like that.