PDA

View Full Version : Matzo ball soup,who loves it?

sclivejames
February 26th, 2013, 14:09
Where can I get good delicious Matzo Ball soup..........hadnt had it since my mother made it for me last time.......
I heard there is a restaurant called "The Place" S oi Buckhao) but have never tried it..........anyone been there?

I love my soup with chicken broth and carrots and garlic,maybe a lot different than the way others have it,but it gets rid of any colds and nasty bugs.
Anyone here good at making it?

Narakmak
February 26th, 2013, 14:27
Where can I get good delicious Matzo Ball soup..........hadnt had it since my mother made it for me last time.......
I heard there is a restaurant called "The Place" S oi Buckhao) but have never tried it..........anyone been there?

I love my soup with chicken broth and carrots and garlic,maybe a lot different than the way others have it,but it gets rid of any colds and nasty bugs.
Anyone here good at making it?I am a Jew and have been to The Place several times. They have Israeli food -- middle eastern food. Hummus including topped w/ spicy meat very good, Baba ghanoush, Israeli Shakshuka (like huevos rancheros), homemade soups, meat and rice platters, etc. Oddly, no Falafel . They don't have typical foods associated with Ashkenazi Jews or American Jewish food. No New York deli type meals. They do have Sephardic style cholent on Saturday mornings, called hamin on the menu. No place in town is serving matzoh ball soup. The soups The Place does have includes bean, lentil, and chicken (no balls). Sorry.

sclivejames
February 26th, 2013, 14:37
No place in town is serving matzoh ball soup. Sorry.

mmmmmmmmmm I see.........maybe a business enterprise in this then?

Narakmak
February 26th, 2013, 14:40
No place in town is serving matzoh ball soup. Sorry.

mmmmmmmmmm I see.........maybe a business enterprise in this then?
I think mostly western Jews (Israelis not so much) like this and not very many Jews in Thailand. Matzohs are sourced only from one place in Bangkok only during Passover season. Otherwise, there is no retail store in Thailand selling matzohs or matzoh meal for ball making.

arsenal
February 26th, 2013, 14:50
sclivejames: As you are going back home to live with your mother perhaps she can make some for you when she has finished making up your room.

Will this be going on much longer?

Narakmak
February 26th, 2013, 15:04
I should also mention as this is a gay board that sometimes you will find some stunningly handsome and macho young Israelis eating at The Place. Not always but it keeps it interesting. I doubt they're off-able though, well, not usually.

Speaking of ethnic food and ethnic men, I do know that many gay Iranians holiday in Pattaya. They are often easy to identify on baht buses because they take care about the fashion of their eyebrows, a big cultural thing in Iran. I am wondering if there is a specific hangout for gay Iranians here.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 03009.html (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/gallery/2010/02/14/GA2010021403009.html)

sclivejames
February 26th, 2013, 15:51
Can't say im really into Iranian boys..........nor Arabic boys.

Narakmak
February 26th, 2013, 16:33
Can't say im really into Iranian boys..........nor Arabic boys.
Forbidden fruit. I like to talk politics with them. Ha ha.

sclivejames
February 26th, 2013, 17:28
Do we have any other Jews on this board with the exception of myself and Narakmak? Hasidic or other ? lol

Neal
February 26th, 2013, 19:39
And the owner of he board? :sign5:
I make one hell of a chicken soup, well used to and now sit and watch as I have my cook do it so it is done to my specifications. I havent found a good matzoh ball recipe yet for floaters but the package inside Manishevitz matzoh ball soup is a floater mix. The soup sucks so all I do is use the ball mix. I would like to find a good recipe for floater balls pardon the pun!

Neal
February 26th, 2013, 19:44
Oh and believe it or not I have taken off the web a pretty good stuffed cabbage reciepe and the Ambiance makes it for me when I want it. I order in advance a coupe of days and about 8 of them. I am sure my cook here could do it but he already does so many things to pack away for me for the week. He only works 4 hours a week.

Found a dynimite recipe for New York Cheesecake. So creamy and smoothe and he makes one for me sometimes. Today it was a strawberry cheesecake. Not this crap here that they whip up as a no bake

catawampuscat
February 26th, 2013, 22:17
I recall that a deli style restaurant opened in Boyztown a few years ago, with corned beef, pastrami etc.

It flopped apparently, so a matzo ball restaurant in Pattaya might have a tough time making it work.
The former deli
owner now makes excellent tasty pies and cakes which are available by the slice in Friendship Market on PattayaTai rd.

Neal
February 26th, 2013, 22:19
The fomer owner? And who was that?

February 26th, 2013, 22:35
If memory serves (and it might not): That would have been in 2011, Street Life Restaurant, Manager Richard, Owner Steve.

I recall very good chopped chicken liver and also good pastrami.

Neal
February 26th, 2013, 22:41
Yes but as Richard ran Amor into the ground he also helped with steve...yes I said with Steve... run Street Life in the ground. they never had Mazo Ball soup although it was a recomendation that they serve half sandwiiches with a cup of soup. It was the concoction of making a Corned beef sandwich wit a smear of chicken liver that grossed me out. Who in the heck ever heard of that? Its either a corned bee or corned beef pastrami sandwich or a chicken liver sandwich but not a combo. Well anyway I am still looking for someone who has made matzoball soup and hmade it with floaters.

February 26th, 2013, 23:24
I was also surprised by their combo sandwich. Having grown up in the NYC area, I had never heard of mixing corned beef with chopped chicken liver or mixing chopped liver with anything.

Neal
February 26th, 2013, 23:36
Well I sent a good friend over cause he said he was not very hungry and said well you can pick up 1/2 sandwhich there. He came back madder than hell. I asked what was wrong and he said he tried to order 1/2 a chicken sandwich and Richard told him hat they ONLY SERVED pastrami or corned beef sandwiches cut 1/2.
He ruined Amor and he helped ruin Street Life. Some people never learn

sclivejames
February 26th, 2013, 23:42
I think that Business could of succeeded,mind you the location wasn't very good was it,neither the name.

Not sure about Richard though,he was very friendly to me,in fact i could say he couldn't do enough for me.
I think it was a combination of things re its downfall ,location,and prices too were near Western Prices as i recall,but I loved the corned beef sandwiches.

Wasnt there a place in Jomtien that opened? I will have to chexck the Jomtien deli out?

Neal
February 26th, 2013, 23:52
ichard was very friendly and that seemed to be one of hs problems. Many said he was too friendly and would not let them eat dinner in peace. He was friendly to me and I did not care about his hovering I just could not stand his constant rguing with me. "I will hve a slice of Key Lime Pie". We dont have key lime pie. I said, yes its right there on the menu. Really? You see key lime pie? I look again. Oh Lime Cream Cheese pie. Well yes we have tht. Richard you know what I meant.
Richard I went buy and had dinner there last night. Oh really? Wht did you have? I had the stroganoff. Oh really? Did you hve the pork stroganoff, the beef, the chicken? Just say thank you aand stop! He was a pain. Yes it was in a difficult spot but it was near Steve with his New Orleans restaurant which he no longer owns,
and a loction tht was very chep.Thats why he opened it there. The items were expensive becue they were the finest meats and cheeses which is not cheap and very healthy portions.

Yes there was on on Jomtien which did ok but failed because there were three owners and a falling out between the three.

Narakmak
February 27th, 2013, 10:24
Street Life deli food was sub-par.
The Jomtien deli food was fantastic (and many felt overpriced). Sad about the Jomtien place closing.

sclivejames
February 27th, 2013, 10:28
Where was the Jomtien one located? Did they sell similar to Subway with just sandwiches or was it a real deli with hanging meats ,cheeses,chutneys,sausages etc for sale?

Narakmak
February 27th, 2013, 11:10
Where was the Jomtien one located? Did they sell similar to Subway with just sandwiches or was it a real deli with hanging meats ,cheeses,chutneys,sausages etc for sale?
It was called Deli-zza Soi 8.
It was run by some very friendly Midwesterners. They produced their own corned beef and pastrami and it was excellent. Very small menu, deli sandwiches and also good American style pizza.

Neal
February 27th, 2013, 11:12
Narak are you talking about deli-izza?

sclivejames
February 27th, 2013, 11:26
All this talk about pastrami is making me hungry...........is "subs n suds" sandwiches still open......last i heard the gay guy owning it was selling it?

Well where else can i get a pastrami and cheese sandwich right now if not subs n suds? Subway i suppose?

Neal
February 27th, 2013, 11:37
I am sure you all are as that was where it was located. They were not midwesterners they were from Chicago and the place was not pizza deli it was Deli-izza run by three partners, John, Sean and a third silent money guy. The money guy was the one that gave them problems and they tried to seperate. Probably legally a fight started up and they still tried to do things out the door. The sanwiches and quality of the corned beef was awesome, huge in fact. Not like MJ Smokehouse who smokes the corned beef but a genuine NY style corned beef! I haven't spoken to John in months. He used to do corned beefs for me. I will try and see if he still has the phone number in a minute but yes, he was not in a good location and it was not his cash. Pizzas were ok but not NY style. No one seems to be able to do them. the best one which is not something to write home about is a double meat lovers on thin and crusty with double cheese from Pizza Company. Good but not NY.

Just spoke to John and he is alive and kicking. He went to the states for awhile to have batteries changed on a defibulator that is inside him. He is talking to someone who may do a corned beef dinner at their place for St Pattys day and will advise so he can make extra. He is looking for a new money man that will not string him by the balls. We will probably do some talking on this so don't count John out just yet!!

sclivejames
February 27th, 2013, 12:04
Is he looking for a partnership?

Neal
February 27th, 2013, 12:08
He is but he is looking for a very silent partner as you can see what the last partner did to him. If he does not get the right partner before next month and my extra money comes in next month I will start talks with him.

Khor tose
February 27th, 2013, 12:42
come to Chiang Mai as we have two excellent delis. However, the best is hard to find and not the nicest looking.

http://www.diningguidechiangmai.com/201 ... g-mai.html (http://www.diningguidechiangmai.com/2011/12/mighty-moes-new-york-deli-chiang-mai.html) Good-great place to sit and eat

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pickles/271354959578904 Best and biggest sandwiches---take out, as has little dining space and no atmosphere. Also hard to find.

Neal
February 27th, 2013, 12:50
Too bad Pickles doesnt have a page like Moes does. Moses looks like a good enough reason or me to move to Chaing Mei!! Hmmm dialysis machines, NY style deli, massage boys and bars, what the freak am I doing still in Pattaya? I hate the beach, gossippie queens and no space to live. Contract due for renewal in October.... :idea1:

Mickp
July 17th, 2017, 06:05
Just rehashing an old thread by sclivejames what a great poster he was !
Certainly dont get posters of that calibre anymore !

Well do we have any updates ?

Im wondering if we still have the Matzo Ball soup places?
The New York Reuben sandwiches ?

I went to a place in Jomtien last year Deli Diner I think it was called , clean, great decor but was a lil expensive, I think the price was 399 bsht for a salami and cheese sandwich !!!

What a disgrace ! After throwing my hands in the air in disgust I ve vill not pay these prices ! I shouted

Offered them 300 but they wouldnt budge so ended up at the Aussie Pie place down on the corner in Jomtien complex

Just cant get a good Matzo Ball soup in Pattaya ! Disgusting !

Always love a good Matzo ball soup just like my Mum used to make.
If your sick this soup will make you better.

lonelywombat
July 18th, 2017, 15:04
Many of us that have been here for a long time have always been certain the sclivejames was our old fat friend BBB.

Look who has dredged an old post to give a new lease of life. BBB

Mickp
July 18th, 2017, 15:34
Oh look what the cats dragged up... if it isnt the dishwasher from Melbourne !

arsenal
July 18th, 2017, 15:44
Mickyboy (sweetheart) wrote:
"Oh look what the cats dragged up."

That's what we say about you.

lonelywombat
July 18th, 2017, 17:29
Remind us again how you persuaded your mother to sell her house before she died ,so you could get your siblings share for your self.

I used to love your stories about Goulburn Jail.