PDA

View Full Version : Observations from a recent Thailand visit.

newalaan2
February 25th, 2013, 03:54
I always appreciate when others post their experiences of visits and updates of the gay scene in Thailand and so always try to post some kind of info after a visit. I visited over the last month and did notice some changes here and there.

Arsenal brought up the subject not that long ago of XBoys/men Pattaya giving back min Bt50 change when paying the bill, they are still following this policy. But actually worse than this is Tangmo Gogo, Paradise, Patong. When I handed over Bt1000 to pay Bt200 bill I received only Bt100 notes...this is now the policy. The mamasan I have known for years admitted that it is deliberate and that they expect/hope for Bt100 tip on top of the Bt200 for the Bt40 worth of beer served. Success rate of Bt100 tips? very high according to the mamasan as there was alot of asian visitors due to chinese new year and they are well known for taking the easy route when faced up with possible contentious issues such as not having reasonably small notes to give as tips, so most just leave the Bt100. So a one drink visit for many was Bt300 for water/coke/beer etc..inc tip.

Outrageous claimed I to the mamasan, but he said most asians will not, unlike westerners, have the strength of mind to take the change in Bt100's from the folder and replace it with a smaller tip from their wallet/pocket. I found it very easy as the policy gave me the motivation, they were lucky to get Bt20 given the blatent attempt at gouging. Drinks at Tangmo Bt200 inside, which was fair enough given bars with shows in Pattaya are now at that level and Bt140 out on terrace.

Phuket was as usual great for a short break. Booked with Nokair a good while back so about Bt3500 return. Paradise was very busy all nights I was there but that was over a weekend. Every outside bar with terrace was packed, on the Sat night at 10pm hardly a seat to be had in the main soi. I was surprised that Tangmo has a fuck show now, and despite the drink/tip costs it was packed every show. In fact on the saturday had the mamasan not seen me and managed to carve out a seat at the front i would have been turned away...unheard of on previous visits. MyWay was ok until (as usual when there is a crowd)the owner took the mic and from then on it was downhill all the way and a case of finishing the drinks as quick as possible and out.

Of the other bars, visited Passport for the first time in years, it was awful, half dozen boys who dance on 2 small podiums 2 at a time when a customer enters, if a boy is not taken to sit within a minute the boys just lazily plonk themselves on a sofa and virtually ignore the customers, unfortunately a couple did try to engage me, but they were tattood-covered mean looking types who held no interest for me but even when this was conveyed they persisited, one in particular was without doubt high-as-a-kite, exaggerated movements, wide eyed stares, nervous repetitive leg, arm movements. But I smiled drank up and got out, good enough reason for another 5 years before a visit.

Kiss bar is now closed but Boat Bar very busy as usual outside, Chic bar nice decor, Sundowners lounges great places to people watch, Connect terrace too was busy. Went to SoFa(r) club/disco prev Galaxy, was ok...but enjoyed the smaller club next door "Sanuk" which had a live band segemnt and the DJ played popular rather than dance tunes, backed up with a good few screens with an accompanying video of the song. Nice cute waiters, mixed gay/straight with waiters def more gay in mannerisms. Also had an evening outside Paradise to soi bangla etc.. Tai Pan and some smaller mixed places, there was a good vibe around the nightlife there.

No incidents whatsoever during the days we were there, (Note:Kjun12) used Tuktuk only the night we went to the clubs at Bt150 for 3 of us from Paradise. Tons of young attractive western gays in Paradise, but mostly in their own company pairs/groups and all bar owners/mamasans said they were not offing boys from the bars. Few Russians in Paradise so no controversial incidents to report compared to previous visits.

Pattaya.
Stayed at Baan Dok Mai for first 3 days, then Mosaik. Again repeating previous reports on these places but just to update that Baan Dok Mai remains a great value accommodation, top floor rooms large with balcony, the day I arrived there was a problem with water heater which had to be replaced, Warwick the owner was happy to hurry to find someone to install it instantly, but it was very hot and cool shower for a day was fine, so I said next day would be ok, and as per promise new heater installed and running perfectly by the time I got back from the beach next day. Good food at attached eaterie and very reasonably priced drinks. Still highly recommended.

Mosaik, was very busy so had to take a Studio Deluxe rather than a larger Prestige Studio but as usual pristine with everything working perfectly, microwave and coookware on request. Security looked after pickup outside Mosaik. Usual high quality of apartments and service.

Managed to get round a few of the agogos this visit as I made an early visit to Happy Place and 'M' the owner and sometime showman said he had stopped appearing in the shows and was keeping a close eye on the running of the bar but has good trusted staff and although steady the night i visited was not wildly busy at 10.30pm so when I said I was visiting a few of the pattayaland bars he was happy to get a break from his bar and accompany me around a few giving him a chance to 'check out' the opposition while keeping in touch with his bar by mobile. We went to Funny Boys first, nice usual welcome here, and very busy, how they manage to get a consistantly large stable of guys here I do not know, and some very cute, nice guys in the mix. Next Toyboys, M's old haunt, great welcome from the mamasan known to us for many years and insisted on covering our bill, which was a very generous gesture. As per my last visit here 3 months ago, a good number of guys here and a couple of stunners, very attractive boys. They certainly have found their 'groove' again as it was well attended even at 11.30pm. They have been very consistant over the last year. Good to see.

Wild West boys had show in progress and was just ok. Not that many boys available here, but we had a good laugh with the waiters who were on good form. Then a surprise...a visit to ABomb where I have not been for 5 or more years, but still a couple of old friends here. But just as I remembered it, manly-men catering to a few asian females, but caught up with friends, so a worthwhile and enjoyable visit....but doubt if i'll be back, the guys there just not my style and no show to attract. Checked out a few places around Walking St after 'M's bar closed and finished off a great night around 3am.

On another night a visit to BzBzBz was a pleasant surprise, it's a bar which i usually find nothing to interest me and only go at the request of others,... but this time the much updated show was excellent in parts, there was a Lady Gaga and rap-style segments which were very proffessional and upbeat and rightly got a loud ovation from the quite large audience for the later show. Drink price set here at Bt200 for standard drinks. My visit to Xboys/men old Davids was disappointing as it was outwith showtime and boys here not of interest to me, but waiters were good fun, so tips to them and Bt20 to the folder to replace the min Bt50 denominations change inside. Point of principal.

The BT terrace bars were all busy too, even later in the evening, Panorama had a few new (to me) waiters, and Oscars had the usual few very cute waiters, Serene which i did not sit at was packed with Russian types the nights we went to BT and looked quite busy. The showbar next to Panorama was also well attended with show in progress.

Late night venues....Made my first visit to TamNan Issan in Pattaya and had Beer tower here and great fun night, packed with gay boys and a few straights, whereas the Bkk version was packed with mixed/straight and although alot of gays not as big a percentage as Pattaya. Good band, singers etc... good food and fun waiters, great night! Also on the subject of Issan music we also attended the saisam/3rd road outdoor Issan show. We went about 10.30pm, again my first visit to a Pattaya Issan concert, (have attended many around Thailand) The skies had opened earlier in the evening about 8-9pm with torrential rain, so we were fearing the worst regarding the ground conditions, entrance Bt120 each with free stool, and although there were large pools of water the rest of the ground was not as wet/muddy as I expected to find, and plenty places to park our stools, beer inside Bt50 per can of Leo, didn't try any of the LaoDong Ya alcohol though. A few fast food carts and excellent atmosphere, with the largest collection of gay/femme/katoey boys I have seen in one place. There were a few westerners here all appeared to be regular visitors as they seemed to be comfortable with their surroundings, but did see some westerners obviously new to the scene. Many boys from the sunee beerbars here so lots of interaction and fun was had. Great night. Songtaew outside back to Wat-chai Bt120 at 1am.

NAB was my first visit since it's refurbishment and apart from the moving of the entrance, not too much change inside. Got a good table and we did enjoy ourselves due to a combination of the company we were with and interaction from those around us and who knew the BT mamasan who joined us after work. But as per another thread where "thrillbill" mentioned the pricing here, we did think the bill steep at Bt3300 for one Red/nibbles/ice/mixers for four of us, not grudging it as we had a great time just a tad surprised. The visit to Tam Nan Chon was a let down though, we had been drinking beer at some of the BT bars and my bf and 2 friends all wanted a beer tower as they couldn't look at whiskey, very few tables at 1am but we found a great table on the front raised part, but even though the waiter took our order for a beer tower some management jobsworth said the table was slightly larger than the very rear ones and so was only for whiskey! But we always buy lots of food as well as the beer tower which we would probably have 2 so we need room! but he was awkward with one of our friends and would not budge with the whiskey-only lark so we left, and headed almost next door at Tawan Daeng, beer tower no problem any table, great food, with the place busy, good band and a mixed crowd, excellent waiters. Made up for the TamNanChon disappointment.

Enough already. I'll post sunee and other stuff later. I'll PM back the guys who asked questions from the other thread on Sunee/clean up.

a447
February 25th, 2013, 15:32
Thanks. Great report as usual. :)

anonone
February 25th, 2013, 18:36
Looking forward to the rest of your report, when you have the time to post it.

Thanks for the updates.

colmx
February 26th, 2013, 02:05
Thanks for the report Alaan
I have give up on writing them... They drpress me to remember what i am missing out on!
But glad that someone still takes the time and effort

Phuket:
We had a great time in Sanuk Phuket on a visit last October... just a pity it closes so early... we had a gang of Phuket guys with us and none of them knew any place to party on once the lights came on there.... Patong is definately not a 24 hour city like Pattaya!

Pattaya:
The venue that you called Tawan Daeng is now called Pleurng Mai... BF used to be a big fan of Tum nan chon... but prefers Pleurng Mai these days
They also have very tasty breaded chicken strips... for those of us that can't stomach Thai food!
Its run by the people that used to have Kampun on 1st road and has many of the same musicians

Sounds like you may have arrived to NAB late, they have a 2000B charge for 1L JWR whiskey after 2. Of course only f you are not a regular (which i am not) and it seems like a complete scam to me as i know others (Martin911) that go late and don't get charges that rate!

Dodger
February 26th, 2013, 07:06
Thanks newalaan2,

Great report and always appreciated. Sitting in my office staring at snow covered trees and icicles hanging from the gutters is a bit depressing and reading updates like this is uplifting.

Always glad to hear the latest happenings in Sunee when you get a chance.

newalaan2
February 26th, 2013, 21:06
have give up on writing them... They drpress me to remember what i am missing out on!But glad that someone still takes the time and effortPhuket:We had a great time in Sanuk Phuket on a visit last October... just a pity it closes so early... we had a gang of Phuket guys with us and none of them knew any place to party on once the lights came on there.... Patong is definately not a 24 hour city like Pattaya!Pattaya:The venue that you called Tawan Daeng is now called Pleurng Mai... BF used to be a big fan of Tum nan chon... but prefers Pleurng Mai these daysThey also have very tasty breaded chicken strips... for those of us that can't stomach Thai food!Its run by the people that used to have Kampun on 1st road and has many of the same musiciansSounds like you may have arrived to NAB late, they have a 2000B charge for 1L JWR whiskey after 2. Of course only f you are not a regular (which i am not) and it seems like a complete scam to me as i know others (Martin911) that go late and don't get charges that rate!
Yes I know what you mean in regards to writing reports colmx, i see from the links to my reports from previous years they are very similar with only current updates info different. I does become more difficult to find new things to report, but I appreciate a447, Bob saigon and all the others who make the effort so do it becuase of that.

I was not even aware of the time "sanuk" Phuket closes, but of course for you and your 3-6am peak time activity it's vital, however normally our 3-6am peroid is for winding down, sex and eating. But we did enjoy "after Sanuk" fun this visit as we continued the session back at Chic Bar, Paradise as we had a senior staff member with us. So it was shutters down and an interesting array of after-hours folks, 4 playing pool, a couple overseeing the much quieter than usual music box, various friends, bfs, Giks, girlfirends and mamasan from another bar all paying below-normal-rates for drinks of which I paid for very very few...sometimes the "its not what you know but who...." break turns up.

I had a feeling the place reported to me as Tawan Daeng had either changed name or was never T.Daeng in the first place, so thanks confirming it was "Pleurng Mai" and now I understand why I felt so comfortable there and enjoyed it, as Kampun was a favourite venue from early 2000's until they shut shop, and although I know quite a few musicians who play in and around Pattaya (have lent my acoustic guitar to a few) I didnt recognise any of the musicians up close. But excellent band, also much praise for the food here, the "hoy" shellfish being described by all who ate it (not me) as the best ever tasted...a seriously massive compliment.
About the back of 2am a troup of 8 gay camp/extrovert guys arrived and fairly livened up the place even more.....where was your bf on the night of....?

As far as NAB is concerned we arrived plenty time at 1am, it was only our mamasan friend who arrived nearer 2am so no problem there, trouble is with a group is sometimes the waiters can be sneaky (intentional or not?) and do not always ask the principals who are paying the bill, me and bf, if others ordering mixers, nibbles, ice etc.. is ok......unless some of the company needs me to be more strict than usual and then will tell the waiter to ask bf first before taking an order. Of course i dont know the price of a single item in the clubs as the bf sees to all that, i cant be bothered with a chit every time a bowl of popcorn or 2 sodas have been ordered. I didn't even know they upped the price for whiskey after 2am...that's a bit of a scam sure enough.

newalaan2
March 28th, 2013, 07:17
Couple more snipits from Jan/Feb trip, had it half-written a while ago so thought i'd post it anyway.

BKK:
Small update regarding Tarntawan Hotel, stayed there as usual for the last couple of days before returning home. The rooms now have an in-room safe which was one of the few irritations about this place, it was a nuisance having to go to reception and wait to have your 'box' opened on the counter in front of everyone, i'm assuming all rooms now have them........as well as the new flat screen TV relpacing the old large outdated models. Tarntawan remains a favourite of myslef and bf, food both Thai and western is excellent, only 30-40 mins from airport by taxi and nice place to wind-down before heading home.

Also gave the OmYim Lodge another try at the start of my visit, I like to try different places each trip when I can and give custom to gay promoted places, the staff here remain excellent, the rooms however are deteriorating, looking just a little bit more shabby now with things like gaps in doors and fittings, bits falling off here and there, but in truth when visiting around Thailand i'm prepared for the worst in hotels and 'resorts' so no big deal for me, but some might find a difference between website photos and reality.

SUNEE:
Sunee remained my favourite place for a relaxing evening drink. It's down to the wide choice of bars and laid back easy-going demeanour of the waiters and staff, I pop into the agogos now and again just to see 'what's up'.

Visited Ouds Cafe/bar next to Forest Bar this trip for the first time ever. Found it to be quite a fun place with lots of interaction from the owner and staff with many various boys from other bars stopping by for a drink from the waiters bottle at the front of the bar. Stopped in by here for a coffee at first which was excellent, also had a couple of their sandwiches which are huge and come with fries and nice salad. The pulled-pork was delicious but far too much for me with all the trimmings. A 'new discovery' for me after many years of passing it by!

AllofMe along with Colonial were the busiest bars during my visit. AllofMe, every evening most tables taken, some nights all tables outside full. It's probably because apart from the great staff its a great place to see the comings and goings around the area. Yaya was steady as was Corner Bar (which i believe closed for refurb a few nights after I left Thailand) and Sky bar next door was very busy most nights. I did sit at other bars here and there but these i enjoy the best.

I visited Krazy Dragon with a waiter friend from Crazy Pub, but as already stated by some, it's such a big bar to get atmosphere going. I don't know of they should maybe have boys 'dancing' like the other agogos on the small stage where they used to have shows, for those who dont like the 'in your face' dancing on the podiums, i find it easier to see the boys on tables further away than craning your neck for the one right in front of you. Having boys on the stage would give lone customers at least interest while there and maybe keep hold of customers. My experience there is.......if you dont invite a boy to sit once they all have 'passed your table by' they seem to disappear and you are left with nothing to focus on, so many just drink up quick and leave. Just my own feeling about the place. I would probably stay a little longer if there was dancing rotation on stage.

Dropped in by MicMy, already subject of another thread, and it was no surprise to see a targeted raid here after I got home. I just dont understand the mentality of the owners, if they completely got rid of underage, or at the very least...obvious underage, I really dont think it would affect the customer numbers, i have a gut feeling the customer numbers might actually increase as long as the have a good number of boys like Nice Boys next door had on the one time i dropped by. Didn't visit any of the 'screened bars' also subject of another topic on the forum, I just don't 'get this' either...what is the point of closing down those bars like Goodboys and MicMy and New sawatdee which really dont help the reputation of Sunee then allow these bars with screens only a matter of millimetres from anyone being able to walk up and see exactly whats going on in there. Why dont they just shut these damned headline-attracting-for-all-the-wrong-reasons dumps down for the good of the area and gay press. I know many like the sleaze joints but that's just too much 'in your face' for me. Happy Boys has it about right....if you want sleaze head upstairs! i understand the bars is about sex and taking guys for sex, but back in your room, a private massage place or somewhere out of sight of the general customers who dont really want to witness others 'engaging' is where the actual action should take place.

JOMTIEN:
Fairly quiet even for February, but again nice laid-back friendly waiters at all the bars, and yes they do have steady custom but not in huge numbers, it's clear that those who live or have their hotel around the area certainly support the bars as I saw the same faces on the early evening/late afternoons after the beach on the days I visited. Dropped by most of the bars, but Queston Mark, Dolce Vita, Ganymede and Pour House all had enthusiastic waiting staff without being overbearing.

March 28th, 2013, 09:40
You didnt off any one?

newalaan2
March 29th, 2013, 07:22
You didnt off any one?
Certainly did. Why do you ask? Did you want even more detail.....wasn't the post long enough already?

Krazy4thai
March 29th, 2013, 13:18
Arsenal brought up the subject not that long ago of XBoys/men Pattaya giving back min Bt50 change when paying the bill, they are still following this policy. But actually worse than this is Tangmo Gogo, Paradise, Patong. When I handed over Bt1000 to pay Bt200 bill I received only Bt100 notes...this is now the policy. The mamasan I have known for years admitted that it is deliberate and that they expect/hope for Bt100 tip on top of the Bt200 for the Bt40 worth of beer served. Success rate of Bt100 tips? very high according to the mamasan as there was alot of asian visitors due to chinese new year and they are well known for taking the easy route when faced up with possible contentious issues such as not having reasonably small notes to give as tips, so most just leave the Bt100. So a one drink visit for many was Bt300 for water/coke/beer etc..inc tip.

Lat year I noticed a similar practice becoming common in Sunee, however with smaller notes and coin. Oten I received 5 or even 10 X 20s instead of 100s and also up to 60B in 10 B coins. Once I cottoned on to what they were doing I stopped just leaving all the coin and took what was above the tip I would probably have left ( often less 10B) and pocketed the rest. They'd end up with 30 instead of the 40 I probably would have left. Call me petty , I care not. I know many guys cant be bothered with coin and would just leave it all (within reason) Always handy to have a few 10Bs on hand for songkaews . I'm not tight I just dont like underhandedness, especially when it's so blatant.

Captain Swing
March 29th, 2013, 14:16
Sorry, I don't understand. It seems that in the first instance you're complaining that the place gives you only 100 baht notes, nothing smaller, in hopes of encouraging a 100 baht tip. And in the second instance you're complaining that they gave you smaller bills, and coins, rather than 100 baht notes in a (not unreasonable) attempt to make it easier for you to leave a tip. What is it that they should do, in your opinion? What exactly is so underhanded?

newalaan2
March 29th, 2013, 18:23
Sorry, I don't understand. It seems that in the first instance you're complaining that the place gives you only 100 baht notes, nothing smaller, in hopes of encouraging a 100 baht tip. And in the second instance you're complaining that they gave you smaller bills, and coins, rather than 100 baht notes in a (not unreasonable) attempt to make it easier for you to leave a tip. What is it that they should do, in your opinion? What exactly is so underhanded?

Of the two paragraphs posted by 'krazy4thai' only one contains his comments. The first paragraph is a quote from my original post where Krazy has for either not used the quote feature or it has not worked. It is I who noted that Tangmo is giving only Bt100 notes as change. What is underhand? Well rather than give you a choice of how much to tip by giving Bt20's in the change which is the 'norm', by giving only Bt100 notes they expect/hope you will either not notice or be too embarassed to replace the Bt100 note for a smaller denomination. For me that is taking the piss. Likewise with X Boys.

Regarding coins, it is underhand because they deliberately place four Bt10 coins tucked away underneath the notes and in poor light of agogo bars most do not realise there are Bt40 of coins 'hidden' underneath the notes so they leave a 'normal' Bt20 which turns into an unintentional Bt60 tip. This is standard practise in the Soi Twilight agogos. I cant talk for Krazy, but for me what they 'should do' is just stick to the 'standard bar practise' of having Bt20 notes in the change. If the bill is an odd amount I imagine most just leave the Bt10 coin with a Bt20 as tip. Which is fine because there has been no attempt to decieve. I usually also give out tips as well as bill folder so it's not the actual amount of money which is the issue, it's the whole principal of someone attemtping to decieve you or taking you for a fool, accepting or falling for what essentially is a method to trick you.

I'm not sure what Krazy's problem is with getting more Bt20 notes in place of Bt100's, like you say not unreasonable, and can be quite handy for tips here and there. It doesn't stress me out or anything, but when I get 4 Bt10 coins I thank them for being thoughtfull in providing them for the songtaews, with the Bt100's or Bt50's I make the point of asking where the Bt20's are and replacing the Bt50/100 with a single Bt20.... But as I said above in the OP for every one of me.....there is 5 (especially Asians) who either dont notice or dont care about being considered a gullible fool.

March 29th, 2013, 19:36
Couple more snipits from Jan/Feb trip, had it half-written a while ago so thought i'd post it anyway.
SUNEE:
Sunee remained my favourite place for a relaxing evening drink. It's down to the wide choice of bars and laid back easy-going demeanour of the waiters and staff, I pop into the agogos now and again just to see 'what's up'.

Visited Ouds Cafe/bar next to Forest Bar this trip for the first time ever. Found it to be quite a fun place with lots of interaction from the owner and staff with many various boys from other bars stopping by for a drink from the waiters bottle at the front of the bar. Stopped in by here for a coffee at first which was excellent, also had a couple of their sandwiches which are huge and come with fries and nice salad. The pulled-pork was delicious but far too much for me with all the trimmings. A 'new discovery' for me after many years of passing it by!

Likewise I always walk pass Ouds Cafe/Bar, I can't explain why I've never tried it,especially given the fact I do not venture too far from this area when visiting. In view of your recommendation I will definitely try it next time. Ta.

The board quote feature is driving me nuts!

Neal
March 29th, 2013, 19:44
I fixed it for you. Using the quote feature once you know how is so easy. Anyone having difficulty, PM me. MAybe I will do a thread tomorrow or next day.