PDA

View Full Version : To retire in the Land of Smiles

RatThai
February 24th, 2013, 00:49
I have been visiting Thailand for holidays over a thirty year period and I am now thinking of retiring from work within the next five years. Naturally, I am thinking of the merits of moving to the LOS. However, I would seek guidance from SGT expats living there as to their views. My initial thought would be to start by spending the European winters in Thailand, given that living somewhere for a prolonged period is very different from holidaying there for a couple of weeks each year. I would rent initially rather than buy for this reason. But is this fair on my BF who I know is keen for me to live year round - I am wise enough to know that love is probably not his prime motivation. I also wonder what I would do for much of the day? Would most of you suggest living in a main resort like Pattaya despite the higher costs? I cannot see myself living out in the rural areas unless you can offer some suggestions. I read with interest the lives of you who live here and I would pleased to learn more. I love Thailand, it's people, culture, food, and the Buddhist outlook on life, and yes the hot, tight, fit Thai lads, especially those caramel Isan men. Your thoughts much appreciated. :withstupid:

February 24th, 2013, 01:30
I want to do the same as you in the future...but limited by my budjet.....my bf wants me to live in isaan with him because he realise's it would be very hard for him to be to get visitor visa for uk....my next trip to his village will be my 5th time...but we want to be together so much

sclivejames
February 24th, 2013, 01:44
Bluechris,have you lived in Isaan for long periods?
Do you think you will get bored there? I didn't think you were of retirement age?

But yes to both of you,do it,if you don't do it you'll never know,I done it,still doing it,but will "get out of it " soon.
Maybe a long break away from Thailand then 6 months here,6 months in my home country until i reach 50 then i may come back full time.

February 24th, 2013, 02:23
Thanks...i'm a type of person who allways has a goal...and i do like isaan..i'm usually there a month at a time and got to know all his family and extended family and friends...me and my bf talk online every day on facebook...and i even talk to his friends on facebook regular......i dont seem to get bored when i'm there..we allways find things to do
i've built up a good friendship with his circle...and love going round to different houses on his motercycle drinking and playing music and every week go to an isaan concert ...i love dancing and they are the same...very high spirited

sclivejames
February 24th, 2013, 02:31
Sounds great ,but just take into account when you live here things are not the same as the holidaying mode .
Of course if your BF and you split up as me and mine did then plans go differently dont they.

I always always believe it;'s better to have some sort of security ,house etc left in your own homeland just in case you need to go back.

February 24th, 2013, 02:42
Yes Clive your right ..all these things i've thought about....and not rushing into anything....but i cant stop this burning desire to be with him..not in holiday mode..just living a simple life...i'd be happy with that...all my friends in manchester think i should go for it

sclivejames
February 24th, 2013, 02:46
I take it you still work?If that's the case can't you take 12 months off without pay ,then try living with your BF to see how things go.
Of course once you live here on limited income,then the drinking dancing partying tends to slow down a lot.

February 24th, 2013, 03:15
I work for myself and rent my place with a housing asociation..dont have any family ties and i'm buddist ha ha
but still realise it wont be easy but sometimes you get a reward for making the effort

RatThai
February 24th, 2013, 03:34
Bluechris when you move to Thailand and live with your Bf do you intend to set up home together or live with his family. May I ask does your Bf work and will he continue to do so? I have told my Bf who is some 20 years younger than me that I would not expect him to become a layabout. He will need to work in some capacity for his own dignity or am I being a fool. He likes the good life when I am on holiday but I have told him it cannot be party time every day when I am retired. It will be interesting to see how this relationship works out. They say there is no fool like and old fool and I like to indulge him and maybe living together will prove how strong our relationship is.

February 24th, 2013, 03:39
Bluechris1 - If you could live together with him in Thailand whether it be Pattaya or Issan or wherever for 2 years, and keep it documented - he would then stand a reasonable chance of getting a UK Visa based on that.

Now it may well be that after 2 years you'd have no reason or desire to return to the UK with him but it's always another option - but remember you'd have to have had, say, rent books in joint names, photos, joint Thai Bank Account and any other documentation you can think of to prove the relationship. And, of course, you'd have to be able to prove Income of around 18K in UK to support him (but there are ways around that).

Worth remembering at least.

To Rat Thai asking about jobs - if it were me I'd be trying to carry on my existing occupation, rather than try to get a work permit based on an occupation I could demonstrate no skills or experience in :dontknow: But other people will advise you better - I freely admit I'm guessing!

February 24th, 2013, 06:39
Thanks Scottish and Ratat....for the advice....i did a lot of research online and it was the same as you say

February 24th, 2013, 06:55
Sorry i spelt your name wrong ....should have read Rathai.....
I first met my bf when he was working in a bar ..over 2 years ago.....when he became my bf..he stoped working the bar cause he said he did'nt want to meet anyone else or have sex with any one else...so he went home to Isaan to work on his family's farm and sometimes goes down to work in factory in bkk.....he is very inteligent and speaks and writes very good english
he went to university and says he would like to work in banks..which a friend of his says could get him a job... he likes having a good time but he is a hard worker when he has to

Dodger
February 24th, 2013, 07:50
RatThai...

Every person here has his own unique lifestyle preference and budget to consider when planning for retirement...no two being the same.

For years I split my time in LOS between Pattaya and the rurals which worked well for me. As much as I love both environments I can't say that I'd want to hang my hat permanently in either place. I'm a person who enjoys being in the country and found life in Isaan very adaptable, but after a month or so I found myself getting bored and longing for the bright lights and action back in Pattaya. I can only assume that when I reach retirement age I will want to same balance, although the priorities that my hobbies have will probably shift from beer...bars...and boys - to green tea...home movies...and boys.

February 24th, 2013, 08:11
I work for myself and rent my place with a housing asociation..dont have any family ties and i'm buddist ha ha but still realise it wont be easy but sometimes you get a reward for making the effortWhat do you mean when you say you're a Buddhist? Isn't Buddhism about transcending desire because it's desire that makes us unhappy? Is "getting a reward for making the effort" a Buddhist concept? I'm thinking about becoming a Buddhist myself but doubt I can give up desiring boys.

February 24th, 2013, 08:23
DonтАЩt invest any more money in Thailand than you are prepared to lose. This applies to housing, motocy, weddings, buffaloes, etc. Consider having at least a temporary tattoo which says "Rent - Don't buy".

Buddhism? More of a philosophy than a religion. More superstition than faith in most "Buddhist" countries. Nevertheless, familiarity with the Buddhist teachings and how they are observed locally is always a good way to come to terms with the Thai culture.

sclivejames
February 24th, 2013, 08:27
You hit the nail on the head Bob.
Rent don't buy,wish I had taken the advice,this studio im in now will be hard to sell,i see there's 7 other's in my building selling too.

There's that many many condo's being built here.Who is going to live in them?

witchhunt
February 24th, 2013, 09:15
sclivejames where is your building and what prices are being asked for sale . Studio or max one bedroom.

sclivejames
February 24th, 2013, 09:23
I am told NIRUN CONDO has cheap studio's and i know personally several expat's wanting to go back to the UK,and want to sell from 600,000 baht i believe.

sclivejames
February 24th, 2013, 09:27
Of course if i had my time again i would do it all differently.

Yes a hobby,some sort of clubs to join etc.

I would buy a bigger room rather than a studio,i would buy in a quieter area,

cdnmatt
February 24th, 2013, 10:01
I've travelled a decent amount, and without question Thailand would be at the top of my list as a retirement location. Regretfully though I've never made it to deep South America (Chile, Uruguay, Argentina, etc.), as I think I might really enjoy it down there. For the rest of this message, it's to each their own, so I can only give my personal opinion.

I wouldn't bunk down with an Issan guy, but if you did, I'd be very strict and very willing & prepared to leave him. Simply because you are already hesistant as to whether or not he'll continue his lazy ways, and hoping someone is going to intrinsically change usually doesn't work out very well. That, and for all the reasons bluechris mentioned he loves Issan. He's right, that's all they do -- literally. You don't want to find yourself stuck in an environment like that, as it'll start a downward spiral to the point you can't see the forest for the trees, and it's hell. However, it does give you a whole new perspective as to why perpetual poverty exists in our world.

Where to live is completely up to the individual and their personality. Maybe travel around the country for a couple years, checking out the different cities, then decide. For me personally, I wouldn't want either Pattaya or Phuket, as they're too touristy. I wouldn't want Bangkok as it's too large and crowded, not to mention is supposed to be under water by 2030. I wouldn't do Issan again, as already been there and done that, and it gets boring quite quickly.

Chiang Mai might be a good bet for you, but again, it's completely dependant on who you are as an individual. Nice city, big enough to have everything you need, but not massive like Bangkok. Weather is better for us white guys, there's no shortage of expats so you can still meet people rather easily, etc.

However, Thailand is an excellent place to live on the whole. Weather is great year round, good bang for your buck for standard of living costs, it's extremely safe, Buddhist societies are great to live in for a wide variety of reasons, infrastructure here is developed more than enough to be comfortable in all aspects of life, etc.

February 24th, 2013, 12:30
Excellent advice. So then NOT Pattaya, Bangkok, anywhere in Isaan, Phuket, maybe Chiang Mai but anywhere else really because it's safe. Hat Yai perhaps? Oh no, that's where the bombs are. Hmmm. At least it's good to know that it's only Thais from Isaan who'll rip you off and are generally lazy so-and-so guys and girls.

timmberty
February 24th, 2013, 12:41
i was going to say the same komm ... matt loves thailand .. he just seems to dislike thais,and the places they live..
he hates there lazy ways even tho he moved there ... they didnt move to him ..
for the past year we read thais are lazy, dont want to learn, wont do this, wont do that.
yet still he is there, to lazy to move out ?? perhaps hes caught the thai lazy gene without realising it !!
its funny, we read about the lazy thai farmers .. you know the ones who work 12 hours a day breaking their backs trying to make a pittance to raise a family, yet cant be arsed to go to university after work and learn how to be successful bankers, insurance brokers etc .. prefering to sit in a group having a laugh and a drink whilst trying to take away the pain they must be suffering ..
i bet they just love the smart ass sat by his computer waving his money in their faces telling them they aint worth the snot off his nose .. :notworthy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON-7v4qnHP8 matts holiday video.. give it a minute .. totally boring after that ..

sclivejames
February 24th, 2013, 13:12
Do you think that's necessary Timmberty? Everyone has different views and what they see,this board is for everyone,i dont think you need to be nasty.
Im surprised at you actually on what you wrote,i didnt think that you personally could be that nasty.
I know sometimes you have your bad days though where you seem to change.

pong
February 24th, 2013, 14:57
for me the half year change-EUR summertime, TH ''winter''time works best indeed. Just set that silly idea out of your head you have to buy. I have decided to not stay in Th permanent-due to the oppressive wheatehr starting from late march, rainy season- and that Songkran and all that (try it once-decide after).
Make sure that IF you have some special rent in homecountry- that they do allow you long times off- and likely no subrent is allowed. But this varies per country.
I have serious doubts about Pattaya myself to be based in. But I am a bigcity person, still like BKK-Chmai would be 2nd choice.
Good and personal advice from our cdnmatt- but his ideas about ARg and URU (perhaps a bit less CHI) are, I am afraid, a bit overenthusiast. Most of those countries out of the capitals are just as plain boring-even more if you are not used to Spanish customs(way of living)- as Udorn or khKn. Plus that even there out of capital it is much more 3d world as westerners would want to believe. Plus all the 7-year cycles of money-inflation, restrictions, rebellions and uprisings and weeklong general strikes and then fall of govmts.

fountainhall
February 24th, 2013, 16:25
You hit the nail on the head Bob.
Rent don't buy,wish I had taken the advice,this studio im in now will be hard to sell,i see there's 7 other's in my building selling too.
There are 2 guys from Britain in my building who have been trying to sell their condo for over a year now. In that time, precisely two people have come to look at it! Their problem may be that it is a double unit and so very large. But it's central and has parking. They hope to sell and move into something smaller. But unless they get the existing one sold, they have real problems.

Neal
February 24th, 2013, 16:27
they should list it here under the buy/sell forum

fountainhall
February 24th, 2013, 16:41
I'll suggest it. The only problem I foresee is that the cost is likely to be way above what most expats will be looking to pay - like well over Bt. 10 million.

Neal
February 24th, 2013, 16:46
Ouch! Well when he is broke he will reconsider.

kjun12
February 24th, 2013, 17:18
I'm not sure Bob is 100% right but he does have a good point. I've lived here over 5 years and I sometime regret the move. Usually I just have to read the news to understand why I left the US. Additionally,living costs are a bit less in Thailand but they are rising steadily.

RatThai
February 24th, 2013, 19:30
Guys your advice has been thought provoking. I suspect change in Thailand will accelerate as it becomes a richer nation. Those in the know tell me that Cambodia is slowly becoming a good place to live, but I await with interest. It is a beautiful country and lovely people hard to think they were murdering each other some thirty plus years ago. I will move to Thailand when I retire but initially only for the winter months here, I own my own house so always have a boat hole. I would never sell in case I fell I'll or something. I accept some expats live on limited pensions but hopefully I will come out with a good pension. I will take advice to explore the country in greater detail, there are still many parts I have not yet visited. As to the BF I remain sceptical as to whether living together for anything longer than prolonged holidays will work, we will see. I head the words of these wiser here and not to fall for the short term charms with the long term pain. But hey life if for the living and the man who ever made a mistake never made anything. Keep your thoughts on living in LOS coming. Thanks

sclivejames
February 24th, 2013, 22:08
Yes Rathai...................glad to see your doing ok. :ink:

neoncrusade
February 25th, 2013, 02:38
I'll be retired in Thailand in less than a year now (fingers crossed). Already decided that renting is better than buying. I've decided to go the whole hog and sell up in the UK, so will have nothing to come back to. There is no way I'm coming back to the UK to end up in an old fogeys home or care home....not after seeing the way some of my relatives were treated in them.
When I get too old or ill or all the money runs out, I will either pop the cyanide pill I hope I can get in Thailand, or maybe do it a bit more theatrically....like booking a spot in a boy bar that does a show, and turn up dressed as Cleopatra and clasp an asp to my bosom...much better to pop off surrounded by applause and hysterical booze filled laughter than alone. :alc:

February 25th, 2013, 02:44
What a way to go.

If I happen to be there on your demise, I undertake to have you stuffed and mounted and placed on the LCR terrace.

:party

sclivejames
February 25th, 2013, 02:45
I suppose if your older enough 60 plus and are financially stable you dont have to show as much caution in selling your house in your homeland,doubt if i would do it though.I would be scared of getting sick or some other reason you may have to go back.

Can i just ask you neon,did you spend long periods of time in Thailand to get the feel for living in this wasteland permanently?

Do you plan to move here to Pattaya or somewhere else?
Best of luck to you.

February 25th, 2013, 02:47
Well, if you get old and sick and have to come home to the UK - let the council find you a house and pay the lot I say.

:occasion9:

sclivejames
February 25th, 2013, 02:55
I hear people from England are not so lucky........i think they dont get increases in their overseas Govt pension's ?
I think they dont get free medical if they're out of the Country 6 months ?

I think if i lived in England I'd want to get out too.
Is there still an England? I hear "there aint no England anymore"

February 25th, 2013, 03:02
Returning to the UK after a period of time living away?

If you go anywhere abroad for more than three months, either for a one-off extended holiday for a few months or to live permanently for several years, but then return to the UK to take up permanent residence here again, then you will be entitled to receive free NHS hospital treatment from the day you return. So will your spouse, civil partner and children (under the age of 16, or 19 if in further education) if they are also living with you permanently in the UK again.

nationalarchives.gov.uk

I believe sclivejames is correct that no state pension increases are paid to you if you are not resident in the UK, but you can come back to be treated FREE and I think you would get the current state pension at that point, and of course you have a right to Council accomodation which would be FREE if you had blown all your money on rentboys and booze.

Sounds like a plan! :alc:

neoncrusade
February 25th, 2013, 03:13
Nice idea Scotty. As I intend to have fun in Thailand for at least the next 20 years being stuffed and mounted, I have no objection to the practice carrying on when I'm dead. I've seen plenty of people being stiffed in BT so it's certainly the place for it....dead or alive.

sclivejames - you can call me neon...I like to think I shine a light in the darkest of holes. Been coming to LOS for about 16 years and I'm early 50's so lots of life in me at the moment....always like to plan ahead though.

I've decided to rent in Pattaya for 6 months initially, do a little bit of travelling about the country and see if I find somewhere that tickles my tutu. I always like Kanchanaburi so might fetch up there. I can always go to Pattaya or Bangkok when I feel a flesh feeding frenzy coming on.

kjun12
February 25th, 2013, 05:51
There are 2 guys from Britain in my building who have been trying to sell their condo for over a year now. In that time, precisely two people have come to look at it! Their problem may be that it is a double unit and so very large. But it's central and has parking. They hope to sell and move into something smaller. But unless they get the existing one sold, they have real problems.
Yes, what you say is true but I know the area where you live and there is no BTS or MRT nearby and this makes selling, or even renting, difficult.

Beachlover
February 25th, 2013, 06:57
I wouldn't bunk down with an Issan guy, but if you did, I'd be very strict and very willing & prepared to leave him.
I agree with this comment except instead of "an Issan guy" it should be the "the type of Issan guy you're describing"...

You're right about not bunking down with the type of person you're describing but don't put all Issan guys in the same boat. I've dated two Issan guys and both were smart, genuine, hard working guys with lots of integrity and a strong sense of responsibility.

You just have to be selective about who you date. There are plenty of middle-class Thai guys I wouldn't consider dating too.

you are already hesistant as to whether or not he'll continue his lazy ways, and hoping someone is going to intrinsically change usually doesn't work out very well...
Couldn't agree more...

it does give you a whole new perspective as to why perpetual poverty exists in our world.
Yeah... now you know why the local middle class have so little sympathy for the poorer Thais. One of my ex-boyfriends had a very poor start to life and even he has very little sympathy for the poor. Of his parents and family he says "they useless" and "no hope"... however he does love them and they are good people, which can't be said for everyone in the poor boat.

cameroncat
February 25th, 2013, 09:55
Interesting article on ThaiVisa this week about some Expats actually returning home because of the ever increasing strength of the Thai Baht. It's certainly not the bargain it was 10 years ago. It's likely the Baht will continue to strengthen against Western Currencies. This can be disastrous for expats on a fixed income. I know it has lessened my desire to retire in Thailand.

stkyricesf
February 25th, 2013, 10:09
This is probably the best thread I've seen. Great insight and good information. I think we all have had the urge to move and live in Thailand LOS. :old:

sclivejames
February 25th, 2013, 10:12
Yes, My next door neighbour "Glitterman" ,he's the one with the gold clothing riding around on his bike.......well he's returned to England ....he was also on a Disability pension because of various probllems.

fountainhall
February 25th, 2013, 12:07
Yes, what you say is true but I know the area where you live and there is no BTS or MRT nearby and this makes selling, or even renting, difficult.
It's true the nearest MRT is more than 1 km away. But I don't agree that this makes selling/renting difficult. If that were true, why have 9 new condo blocks opened nearby in recent years with virtually full occupancy? I am told there is a lot of demand in the area because it is close to several international primary schools and some of the main embassies. I suspect the reason for the large apartment not selling is that it is just considerably bigger than most people are looking for, especially Thais.

cdnmatt
February 25th, 2013, 13:55
Excellent advice. So then NOT Pattaya, Bangkok, anywhere in Isaan, Phuket, maybe Chiang Mai but anywhere else really because it's safe. Hat Yai perhaps? Oh no, that's where the bombs are. Hmmm. At least it's good to know that it's only Thais from Isaan who'll rip you off and are generally lazy so-and-so guys and girls.

I think you're forgetting where I said things like "For the rest of this message, it's to each their own, so I can only give my personal opinion." and "For me personally".

If he isn't set on a place to live yet, then I'd definitely recommend travelling around Thailand for a couple years, and see if he finds a place that suits him. Other than maybe Bangkok and Phuket, no reason he can't pickup a decent, comfortable 2bdrm furnished house in any city for 20k/month on a 6 month lease, or even cheaper if he really wanted. Won't be anything fancy, but more than comfortable enough. If he wants a Western style kitchen though with cupboards up top, a 4 burner stove with oven and things, then he has to up his price to around 35k/month. Western style toilets don't seem to be a problem though, and they're everywhere.

Dodger
February 25th, 2013, 14:32
neoncrusade wrote:

I always like Kanchanaburi so might fetch up there. I can always go to Pattaya or Bangkok when I feel a flesh feeding frenzy coming on.

Yes, I have also been kicking Kanchanaburi around in my mind for a place to retire one day. It's a great town and I really like the geography with the old train station on the river banks, mountainous background and winding roads...it's very picturesque. Plenty of Thai guys with a university in town...stores for shopping a plenty...a few late night karaoke's, a large fairly modern looking hospital and a bus line which services Bangkok every 2 hours or so 24/7 for about 150 baht (from memory). I did a little research on the town a few years back and the cost of housing was about half that of Pattaya or Bangkok which also makes it attractive, especially with the streghtening of the Thai baht going forward.

Another town that seems to be a good prospect for retirement for those who want an option other than the major cities (or rurals of Isaan) include Uttaradit (north central), also a university town with a disco and plenty of gay action and similar to Kanchanaburi in regards to its infrastructure, i.e., plenty of stores for shopping, movie theater, Karaoke's, open-aire markets, national parks/water falls, and of course an ever so-popular Tesco Lotus. Housing is again half that of PTY or BKK.

Both Kanchanaburi and Uttaradit have developed infrastructures and have a lot of value to offer a retiring farang. I prefer Kanchanaburi for the mere fact that I love the mountainous scenary and the river, although the temperature can get pretty HOT especially during April through July. Uttaradit, being up North offers a bit cooler climate which I know I would appreciate and a disco where the gays hang aound at night would be nice to have around.

Up2U
February 25th, 2013, 16:05
There are several posters here who are so fortunate that they can retire relatively early in life. If you are of a more typical retirement age, university towns, with gay discos, karoke bars, etc. is not a high priority, in fact, goes right to the bottom of the my list. When you are older having access to 5* doctors, hospitals, other expats with similar interests, ease of transportation, convenient shopping is all a higher priority.

Dodger
February 25th, 2013, 16:59
Up2U wrote:

When you are older having access to 5* doctors, hospitals, other expats with similar interests, ease of transportation, convenient shopping is all a higher priority.

You may have a point there as I don't recall seeing any wheel chair ramps in the disco's I visited.

kjun12
February 25th, 2013, 18:17
It's true the nearest MRT is more than 1 km away. But I don't agree that this makes selling/renting difficult. If that were true, why have 9 new condo blocks opened nearby in recent years with virtually full occupancy? I am told there is a lot of demand in the area because it is close to several international primary schools and some of the main embassies. I suspect the reason for the large apartment not selling is that it is just considerably bigger than most people are looking for, especially Thais.
Well, you may have heard it, but have you tried to rent or sell? I have and have not fared well. A two bedroom condo very near where you live has been up for rent for over a year and no luck yet. Take that smarty pants. :sign5:

Impulse
March 1st, 2013, 08:35
So much negativity about buying. What will you do if rents start going up? Thailand economy is booming, and when China has the world reserve currency it will help rise all the surounding countries with it.

Just make sure you buy in the right location and a decent place. Pattaya is a perfect spot, as Bangkok sinks there will be a great demand for property there.

latintopxxx
March 1st, 2013, 10:44
rocket...u clearly are very much in lala land...the chinese are pirate parasites...they will suck all they can out of the rest of asia before withdrawing......they look down on all non chinese asians...under exactly which rock have u been hibernating for the last 20 years...or r u just clueless...

Khor tose
March 1st, 2013, 11:02
rocket...u clearly are very much in lala land...the chinese are pirate parasites...they will suck all they can out of the rest of asia before withdrawing......they look down on all non chinese asians...under exactly which rock have u been hibernating for the last 20 years...or r u just clueless...
They are all this way? Gee maybe all the taco jokes are all true too.

kjun12
March 1st, 2013, 11:57
They are all this way? Gee maybe all the taco jokes are all true too.
I think he's just an ass. His assertion that he is Latin is probably a lie.

Up2U
March 2nd, 2013, 08:09
So much negativity about buying. What will you do if rents start going up? Thailand economy is booming, and when China has the world reserve currency it will help rise all the surounding countries with it.

Just make sure you buy in the right location and a decent place. Pattaya is a perfect spot, as Bangkok sinks there will be a great demand for property there.

I have bought a condo and I am glad I did. I have friends who have bought in Pattaya and they are happy too. I can understand why some posters are apprehensive about buying in a so-called third world country because they have recently got burned in real estate in their home countries (like me). Most financial planners will recommend that in retirement you want the costs of the roof over your head to be a fixed cost and not at the whim of local inflation or the foreign currency exchange markets.

March 2nd, 2013, 13:50
I haven't seen a condo building in Thailand older than ten years that didn't look as though it was about to fall down - jerry built and poorly maintained seems to be the general rule. (Note: I'm a building inspector by trade).

Up2U
March 2nd, 2013, 13:56
I haven't seen a condo building in Thailand older than ten years that didn't look as though it was about to fall down - jerry built and poorly maintained seems to be the general rule. (Note: I'm a building inspector by trade).

If your opinion were 100% true, then home construction is even a lower standard in Thailand. I suggest you go to Bangkok for example, there are many older 5* condominium buildings that have been properly maintained.

gumblebee
March 2nd, 2013, 17:55
I'll suggest it. The only problem I foresee is that the cost is likely to be way above what most expats will be looking to pay - like well over Bt. 10 million.

Wow, that's the price of a reasonable condo in some of the capitals in Europe. Just to be curious, what do you get for that price in Pattaya? Unobstructed sea view? central location? quiet area? surface area? celing height? aircon everywhere? finishing level? 24h security? swimming pool (shared or private)? concierge service?

cameroncat
March 7th, 2013, 13:41
Being a current Condo owner in the U.S., I can say that I will never, ever buy another Condo in any country. You definitely want to rent so when things go bad (and they usually due after about 10 years or less), you can get the hell out.

latintopxxx
March 7th, 2013, 14:37
I own properties in 2 different countries and thats more than enough...renting gives me the flexibility to experience different neighbourhoods...for a while thought about cape Town but am glad I didnt invest.....rather rent for a month or two at a time and move on..

Surfcrest
March 7th, 2013, 18:02

I'm curious, as a building inspector by trade how many inspections you've done in Thailand? My building here in Jomtien is essentially cement rabbit hutches and so not much to inspect or to go wrong. The plumbing electrical is all common and so if something goes wrong the building looks after it. I am concerned though with some of the concrete moulding coming off on the outside in places, but am unaware what the impact would be to the building's overall health and life span if it goes unattended.

Buying property here has it's risks and whether it's an investment or somewhere to hang your hat when you are here, you need to invest wisely. Good things turn sour and the sour sometimes turn good if you know what you are doing and have a little luck on your side. When they built View Talay 7 in front of us back in 2006..many (myself included) became very disillusioned with how things work here and several dove for the exits. Others seized the opportunity to snap up the vacancies at then, very attractive prices. In a few short years, rent has gone up from 10 to 12 000 baht / month to 16 and 18 000 / month and there now is a waiting list of up to 4 months to get in for a minimum rental of one month. There is a very healthy rental demand for 6 to 12 month leases and this isn't just with this property (albeit it helps that the property is very well run). Some friends in the area have also invested in Jomtien, including the older View Talay properties and rent / demand has been strong and healthy there as well. Property values have been very good lately and so those of us who snapped up additional units when times were tough are now in an excellent position to sell.┬а

Will the promising market down here sustain itself? I'm not so sure. I've already discussed in the Jomtien Beach thread the uncertain future of the beach and the future tourism market going forward. I've already planned out what I'm going to do, given these variables which is why I'm back for an extended period of time to work this all out.

┬а

Wow, that's the price of a reasonable condo in some of the capitals in Europe. Just to be curious, what do you get for that price in Pattaya? Unobstructed sea view? central location? quiet area? surface area? celing height? aircon everywhere? finishing level? 24h security? swimming pool (shared or private)? concierge service?

These are all very good questions, but with complicated answers. What's more important than aircon is the ability to keep the unit cool without. Running an aircon unit continually will cost a heap of cash and so a good natural breeze is far more important. I could write a book on unobstructed sea view...actually I have, search the SGT for the infamous View Talay 7 thread. Combine the unobstructed sea view question with centrally located and again you've got problems. Jomtien is not centrally located, if you take a baht bus you'll know the challenge getting one in either direction during rush hour. If you were centrally located downtown with an unobstructed sea view, would you appreciate using the beach downtown? Probably not. Pollution and noise is also an issue downtown and even out here with the occasional karaoke night, the noise is a nuisance. Quite a few of your other aren't a big problem in Pattaya, ceiling height (mine are 12 feet), 24 hour security (with cheap wages for security, most have it), swimming pool ( by preference...I like mine big and rectangular for lap swimming), concierge / reception etc...most have adequate services (unless you expect more than they are paid to do or if you are looking to break the rules or he law). Again, these are all things that vary somewhat but are reasonable expectations for the Pattaya condo market.

I hope this has helped the discussion out somewhat. I have no experience with the 10 million baht properties referred to in fountainhall's post, I'd be fascinated to see what you get though and why the need for something that lavish here.┬а

Surfcrest

Impulse
March 13th, 2013, 01:19
I hope this has helped the discussion out somewhat. I have no experience with the 10 million baht properties referred to in fountainhall's post, I'd be fascinated to see what you get though and why the need for something that lavish here.

That was for a double, so 5 million baht is not that expensive. I'm sure it would have all the trimmings at that price, granite countertops, wood floors, a great view etc.