PDA

View Full Version : China Garden

sclivejames
February 23rd, 2013, 18:23
Had dinner at the China Garden restaurant a few night's ago with a lady friend ,great to see a madam from Boyztown also there.

China Garden is situated up at Soi Lenkee up near Soi Buckhao area.

Of course Chinese food ,but I wouldn't say it was the best,I had short soup/won ton soup 120 baht followed by sate beef 180 baht,which the meat was tough in some places and then followed by my favourite dessert fried ice cream.
All in all I wouldn't rate it highly,i have tasted better,also small portions,but the service was outstanding.

My own meal,won ton soup,sate beef,coffee,coca cola drink and fried ice cream came to 680 baht.

Its hard to fdind good chinese food in Pattaya,there is also chow soy in soi chaiyapoon but not really great.

Neal
February 23rd, 2013, 19:00
And I have not heard good reports on this Chow Box or Chow Mein Box or whatever on the right side as you are going towards Jomtien Beach a red chines looking place I thingk was near Soi 11. Anyone else hear anything about it?

sclivejames
February 23rd, 2013, 19:04
........i heard its actually great food there.

Neal
February 23rd, 2013, 19:21
I think he reviews where ever I saw them were that it took well over 1 hour to be served, the stff could not remember who had what, soe of the food was cold and I forgot what else. Did anyone else see those revies or has been a cutomer there so we can get some accurate reviews? I am sure if they have fixed things and are better people here need to know.

Oh and they said that they did not have egg foo young and was told that was a usa dish. No matter if people want to order it, no?

sclivejames
February 23rd, 2013, 19:30
you saw these on gb's board

Neal
February 23rd, 2013, 19:36
Thanks I thought I saw these comments around somewhere. I really wih someone would open up an merican style Chinese restaurant. I have heard of UK style chinese food and UK this and that and while I am sure many may appreciate it, I rememeber when I visited London and had the meals there especially breakfasts and what I thought of them :pukeright: which may be what they think of various styles of American food but there are many many people here that are from that neck o the woods.

RichLB
February 23rd, 2013, 20:49
I suppose it's all a matter of taste (pun intended) but I've always found the food at China Garden quite tasty. I love their hot and sour soup (a meal in itself) and special chow mein. I don't remember the pricing, but I've never found it unreasonable - about the usual bill as other restaurants around. My only complaint is that the air conditioning seems to work overtime and it can get pretty chilly in there.

Neal
February 23rd, 2013, 20:57
Well that sounds promising. Thank you Richlb and now I am set to try them but I wish they would so egg foo young also!

Narakmak
February 24th, 2013, 00:08
The so called Hot and Sour Soup at China Garden is not Chinese style soup. It's a Thai soup. If you want real Chinese style Hot and Sour Soup, try PAO on Pattaya Klang. It is made with real Chinese vinegar flown in personally from Hong Kong and not sold in Thailand. Without a doubt the best place in town for Hot and Sour soup. You can also have the soup filled with hand made fresh noodles, large stuffed shrimp/pork wonton, or what they call a Chinese ravioli. Prices have been raised but still better prices than China Garden for sure.

Neal
February 24th, 2013, 07:17
Thanks for that but I want Chinese food like we have in USA. Lomein, egg foo young, dim sum, chines style ribs, all those dishes. We know about Pao but this thread is about China Garden.

timmberty
February 24th, 2013, 12:11
neal you got more money than most of these super stars that fly their hair dressers half way round the world for a cut ..
why dont you do the same with your famous new york chinese food ... and if ive exagerated a bit to much there .. find out who one of the stars hairdressers is, and ask him/her to bring a chinese out for you ...
by the way when did the world become so bastardized that the bext chinese food you can get comes from new york ?? :tongue3:

Narakmak
February 24th, 2013, 13:26
Thanks for that but I want Chinese food like we have in USA. Lomein, egg foo young, dim sum, chines style ribs, all those dishes. We know about Pao but this thread is about China Garden.
Trust me. The hot and sour soup at Pao is MUCH CLOSER to a good USA version than what's served at China Garden. Hot and Sour soup USA style is actually very close to authentic. China Garden's version is not close at all.

If you want good dim sum, go to Marco Polo at the Montien Hotel (off 2nd road). Also have heard good things about the dim sum at Zign Hotel in Naklua but I haven't been.

Nobody in town does American style egg foo young. I like that dish too. Contrary to general assumption, there is an original regional Chinese version of egg foo young that was popularized in the USA.

Neal
February 24th, 2013, 14:36
Thanks for those suggestions Narak. I have heard you tal many times about Po but seems to me it is in a place that would be hard to park, no?

Narakmak
February 24th, 2013, 14:58
Thanks for those suggestions Narak. I have heard you tal many times about Po but seems to me it is in a place that would be hard to park, no?
Yes it's hard to park. Some people park on 3rd road, not that far. They might be planning to enter the WOW delivery program. Starting this Monday, they will be closed for about 10 days but then reopening to their normal schedule. Daily 7 Pm to 1 Am, closed Monday.

Neal
February 24th, 2013, 15:04
They were just closed for a few months! Seems like they are closed more than they are open and with my poor and unbalanced walking it is an impossibility to park somewhere else and try to manuver. Can't be bothered with a place that it is hit and miss if they open or not. Guess I will cross Pao off my to do list good food or not!

sclivejames
February 24th, 2013, 15:06
We all should catch up for a Sawatdee dinner one night perhaps over at China Garden ?

Narakmak
February 24th, 2013, 15:14
They were just closed for a few months! Seems like they are closed more than they are open and with my poor and unbalanced walking it is an impossibility to park somewhere else and try to manuver. Can't be bothered with a place that it is hit and miss if they open or not. Guess I will cross Pao off my to do list good food or not!
Yes they close a lot. It is a low volume restaurant and some have called it a hobby restaurant. But the chefs are passionate about the food they do put out when they are open, and the frequent trips to Hong Kong means they always have the specially imported ingredients that other local places won't have. I understand people who don't get the specialness of this place. But for those who are more tolerant of eccentricity, you just have to take advantage of the place when they are open.

timmberty
February 24th, 2013, 17:09
my idea of flying it over wasnt much use then !! i'll skip the dinner invite clive .. i really cant stand chinese food .. make it an indian tho and i'll come along.

Neal
February 24th, 2013, 17:18
There is a man that goes to dialysis on the same days as I His name is Grover. He owns an Indian restaurant on Beach Road I think he said between 6 and 7th or 8th. He said if I go there he will make sure that extra care is taken in preparing the food and will make sure it is done any way I want. I have been wanting to go there but want some people to go with me.

sclivejames
February 24th, 2013, 17:21
mmmmmmmmmmmm can we wear wear shorts and a t shirt ?

Neal
February 24th, 2013, 17:23
I have never seen it but from the outside it looks small and I would sy yes.

timmberty
February 24th, 2013, 17:24
well im back in pattaya start of april*** edit *** i mean the start of may .. altho grover doesnt sound indian, i guess he could be .. ill join you for sure.

peeseua
February 24th, 2013, 22:20
I think he reviews where ever I saw them were that it took well over 1 hour to be served, the stff could not remember who had what, soe of the food was cold and I forgot what else. Did anyone else see those revies or has been a cutomer there so we can get some accurate reviews? I am sure if they have fixed things and are better people here need to know.

Oh and they said that they did not have egg foo young and was told that was a usa dish. No matter if people want to order it, no?

Egg Foo Yong isn't a US dish, Neal. It's a Cantonese dish but any Chinese restaurant worth its name should be able to prepare it in less than 5 minute. It's basically just a very large omelette with bits of vegetables, prawns and meat (usually in the form of charsiew) mixed into the batter, and seasoned with light soy sauce.

I've even seen it being sold by the hawkers along the road behind Sunee Plaza.

Narakmak
February 24th, 2013, 22:36
No, that's impossible. There are no Thai hawkers in Pattaya doing anything an American would recognize as Egg Foo Young. Maybe you mean Thai omelets. Not the same thing at all. Also it has been reported that Chow Box will not cook egg foo young and the egg foo young at China Garden is more like a western omelet than Chinese or Chinese American food.