PDA

View Full Version : pattaya marathon.

timmberty
February 23rd, 2013, 02:31
not this year but next, i am thinking very much of running the pattaya marathon with regards to raising some money for the pattaya street kids ... i dont know how many bar owners read the board, but id be intrested to know if any would put a sponsorship form in their bars to help me to make as much as possible ..
also some of the regular members might want to sponsor me .. wether its to finish .. or to drop dead half way around .. either is good ..
just putting out a few early feelers ...

sclivejames
February 23rd, 2013, 04:28
Well I say good on you Timmberty, wish i could have the same motivation.Great idea !

There are a lot of charities to support.

Count me in to sponser you,although i probaly wont be in Thailand when your running.

Hopefully other guys on this board will get involved and run with you or sponser you.

Great if you could get a team together and get sponsored together? Im sure there must be other runner's on this board,just you'll have to plan to get together at the same time.
What do other's think? Do you think it can be done? Who will sponser him or can he get a team together? Anyone here run marathons?

TravellerDave
February 23rd, 2013, 09:32
Pattaya Marathon ? it's a tough one in the heat even at 4 am. I've done quite a few full marathons in my time and did the Pattaya half marathon a few years ago That was hard enough. I remember struggling over the small hill between Jomtien and Pattaya thinking about packing in and jumping on a taxi but I didn't and the medal is part of my collection.
Don't let me put you off and put me on your sponsorship list !. Now I just do a bit of jogging to help keep the weight off.

christianpfc
February 28th, 2013, 14:45
I am playing with the thought of participating in the Pattaya Marathon (July 21st 2013). My current level is half marathon, I am not sure if I can get to marathon level.

sclivejames
February 28th, 2013, 17:10
I recall LWombat saying he used to run in marathons?

Hopefully a lot more join up,should be a great event.

painai2
February 28th, 2013, 18:21
I ran in the Pattaya marathon 2012, and plan to run again in 2013. It's not easy (though I'm 64, so a little harder for me I guess). Still if you plan to run, you have to train and train in the heat of Pattaya. It really was a lot of fun, with the mayor shooting the starting gun. They even had cheer leaders to cheer you on. All in all, worth it but do train for it.

Neal
February 28th, 2013, 18:36
Who knows maybe I will have a team of boys push my wheelchair.

TravellerDave
February 28th, 2013, 19:37
African athletes have won it for the last few years. They are professionals and tour the world looking for prize money, which the Pattaya marathon provides to a modest degree. Farangs and Thai runners however win prizes in the supporting events - the half marathon and the quarter, which should be no problem for your average jogger, which includes me these days.

timmberty
February 28th, 2013, 22:47
i wont be able to do it this year as i'll not be in pattaya when its run ... but next year i'll be giving it a go ..
a team would be great .. especially if we all get to take turns sitting on neals lap !!
going back a few years i used to do a lot of running i ran about 5 miles every day, by the end of the week i was a long way from home.

Khor tose
March 1st, 2013, 07:14
i wont be able to do it this year as i'll not be in pattaya when its run ... but next year i'll be giving it a go ..
a team would be great .. especially if we all get to take turns sitting on neals lap !!
going back a few years i used to do a lot of running i ran about 5 miles every day, by the end of the week i was a long way from home.

I could be on the team to run the maraton. Don't you need someone to hand you a water bottle as you go by. :dontknow:

christianpfc
March 1st, 2013, 15:30
Still if you plan to run, you have to train and train in the heat of Pattaya.

Can you elaborate on this? Three years ago, I ran about 20 km once per week when I was studying in England. I started running again recently (now in Bangkok), 30 min in the evening or 5 km in a fitness studio (aircon) is no problem. In England, I had problems to get above 25 km. I would estimate it takes one run to increase the distance by 2 km, so from 25 to 42 km it would take about 8 runs, which is quite an investment of time. What are your experiences, in Thailand or elsewhere?

timmberty
March 2nd, 2013, 01:25
I could be on the team to run the maraton. Don't you need someone to hand you a water bottle as you go by. :dontknow:[/quote]
but how do you get from water station to water station ?? there is no transport !!!! but thanks for the kind thoughts.
:alc:

painai2
March 2nd, 2013, 08:27
I'm sure Christian will be ready for the marathon. I like to jog on Phraumnak Hill (Buddha Hill) in the early evenings in Pattaya and Lumpini Park in Bangkok. During the Pattaya Marathon, there are many water stands where you can grab a cup of water and keep on going. What really was weird was on the day of the Marathon, I arrived at 4:30am to race. I had to walk through Boyztown to get there, passing guys on the soi still partying from the night before!

TravellerDave
March 2nd, 2013, 17:58
I remember when competing in the half marathon, running (or staggering) down Walking St towards the end of the race. It finished in front of the Pattaya Center Shopping Mall. Plenty of drinks around the course in fact too many as there is A constant temptation to keep stopping en route.

anonone
March 2nd, 2013, 18:28
Still if you plan to run, you have to train and train in the heat of Pattaya.

Can you elaborate on this? Three years ago, I ran about 20 km once per week when I was studying in England. I started running again recently (now in Bangkok), 30 min in the evening or 5 km in a fitness studio (aircon) is no problem. In England, I had problems to get above 25 km. I would estimate it takes one run to increase the distance by 2 km, so from 25 to 42 km it would take about 8 runs, which is quite an investment of time. What are your experiences, in Thailand or elsewhere?

If you are serious about it, there are numerous training schedules out on the internet. Most of them involve regular short runs throughout the week (to get mileage on your legs) and one increasingly long run a week (to train up for the stamina). Here is just one example, this one geared toward a beginning runner...

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51137/Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program

I have done numerous half marathons. Long enough run to feel challenged and a sense of accomplishment. It really takes a lot of time to gear up for the full marathon, which to me is just not worth it.

christianpfc
March 4th, 2013, 21:27
The website of Pattaya Marathon is in Thai and the English version is hidden somewhere (I found it indirectly by googling the registration fee).

http://pattaya-marathon.net/

English version:
http://pattaya-marathon.net/pagetemplateen.html

Registration fees:
http://pattaya-marathon.net/Blanken.html

timmberty
March 4th, 2013, 21:38
christian .. are you running for a charity of any sort ? or just for fun ?

Neal
March 4th, 2013, 22:02
OK OK Sawatdee-Gay-Thailand.com .....me....will sponsor a few racers from this board. Let me know how far this maratn is and I assume I sponsor my the distance you accomplish?? and when is it?

timmberty
March 4th, 2013, 22:22
sunday 21st july ... 4.30 am start ... you be there to see the guys off ??

Neal
March 4th, 2013, 22:26
In the USA we usually sponsor someone per kilo that they accomplsh. Is that the same way on this one?

timmberty
March 4th, 2013, 22:35
i guess as long as you give some money it dont matter how it works ... but that sounds a good idea.

Neal
March 4th, 2013, 23:04
OK let's see how many SGT members plan on running this and I will figure out how I want to do this. Please post or PM me.
I guess if you can get up at that unGodly hour of the am to run it, I think the least I can do is get my fat ass down there to see you off right? :crybaby:

christianpfc
October 21st, 2013, 19:44
This subject has been brought up in a chat with a friend.

While I had serious intentions to participate in the Pattaya Marathon, I did not take part. I had to make the following decision:

Increase running distance from 20km to 45km, run at least twice a week, over some months, at night alone in the dark.
OR
Go out to bars, discos, sightseeing, restaurants, meet friends.

How would you have decided? I thought so. Thanks for your support.