PDA

View Full Version : Siem Reap - what currency?

harry2
February 21st, 2013, 23:59
Can any one tell me what currency I should use in Siem Reap please?

If anyone would like to share any info about the best cruising areas then do please PM me. Is Pub Street the main focus of gay action?

Are ATM machines as accessible as they are in Pats?

Many thanks guys.

Harry

Khor tose
February 22nd, 2013, 09:29
Do a search on this web site and a lot of information on Siem Reap will come up. Start by scrolling down and you will see past posts on the subject. Yes, atm's readily available, but they love USDs.

lonelywombat
February 22nd, 2013, 10:58
You do not show where you are from. I can give you is my Australian experience.

ANZ bank operates in Seam Reap and in Phnom Penh

In my case I went to ANZ bank and arranged a travellers card that pays in US dollars [which is the most used currency in Cambodia] and Thai Baht.

I would do a bank search on google to see what banks operate in Cambodia as a start.

Neal
February 22nd, 2013, 11:31
I am not sure but that sounds like a difficult answer. If you have a visa or mastercard or a debit visa or master card which you have verified with your bank will work in foreign ATM machines then everything is fine. There are several in downtown Siem Reap but not as many as Pattaya and the usual currency they spit out is US dollars. Diec was correct. Just look at SE Asia and scroll down and look at the Siem Reap threads as they are very current. Open them up, have a good read and should answer every question about Siem Reap you have and if it does not, just ask again.

Khor tose
February 22nd, 2013, 12:54
Are you calling me Diec?

Neal
February 22nd, 2013, 13:10
:sign5: Sorry! Yes Khor Tose is correct and I would go back and correct that but someone will scream at me. Sorry Khortose. Forgive papa I was rather indisposed at the time.

Janus
February 22nd, 2013, 13:44
In Siem Reap you should use USD. And in fact all over Cambodia. Amounts under one dollar is paid in Riel. 1$ = 4000 Riel. 25 cents = 1000 Riel. I try to always carry enough 1$ bills to to pay the Tuk Tuk the exact price, make a decent tip or to make the payment in small local shops.

ATM's are no problem in Siem Reap. In most ATM's you will be asked to choose between Reil and Dollars.

There are no cruising areas in Siem Reap or Siem Reap is a cruising area. I am sure your trained eyes will spot the potential wherever you go - and the potential is there. Maybe not in Pub Street as it is the main tourist "must walk" area.
Siem Reap will never be like Pattaya is/has been but more and more have discovered this way of earning a "little extra" within the last two years as more and more "farangs" are visiting. Go to Planetromeo and you will also see a lot of "potential".

Neal
February 22nd, 2013, 14:23
I would like to add some to Janus"s report. No Siem Reap is nothing like Pattaya but it isn't a ghost town for potential either and it is not difficult at all. There are gay bars and hotels there and I could have had any of the tuk tuk drivers outside. I could have had bar staff, hotel staff and more. Most of the boys have regular jobs and do not rey on pulling tricks. Pulling tricks would be extra cash. I found the river banks or the water area in town with benches a cruisy area at night.

As far as Siem Reap ever being like Pattaya sure I will agree as I don't believe it will ever be full of go go bars but I would say that in about 5 yers it could be like Chaing Mei. A few bigger clubs and boys working at night doing some shows and or massage parlors.

Anyway that is my prediction.

harry2
February 22nd, 2013, 16:04
Many thanks guys for all the useful advice.

What's the latest on Dengue fever risk in both Pats and Siem Reap? Anyone know?

Harry

Khor tose
February 22nd, 2013, 18:00
High when walking around at night. I recommend repellant with deet.

lonelywombat
February 23rd, 2013, 06:42
In both Pattaya and in Seam Reap the biggest problems I have are with mosquitoes. Wearing shorts and thongs/runners at night, is inviting attention.

When there is rain and the roads, gutters, the river as well as around the pools , you are a target.

You can buy spray to bring in with you in suitcase. Often too late when they start biting.