PDA

View Full Version : Siem Reap - any medical precautions?

February 18th, 2013, 16:28
I am planning to visit Siem Reap and wondered whether one should take any additional medical precautions. I've never taken malaria protection in Pattaya but it may be different in Siem Reap.

What's the gay scene like. Is is comparable to Pats years ago?

Thanks.

harry

Neal
February 18th, 2013, 17:26
For some great information, scan the threads downwards and in the last 12 threads you will see several all Siem Reap. Have a start there nd it will tell you a lot.

Janus
February 18th, 2013, 20:22
I have been going to Siem Reap frequently during the last 2 years, and have never taken ekstra medication all though several web sites tell you to.
My advise would be to be avare of where and what you eat. But I think you are familiar with stomach problems and how to protect or cure your self.

If you are open and observant you will see the guys just in front of you in bars, restaurants, shops or massage places. They all know that "barangs" comming to Siem Reap must have more money that they will ever see, so they do expect a tip.

A "normal" job might give a monthly income between 70 and 160 USD. But many have to take care of a family for less.

Beachlover
February 19th, 2013, 05:30
I am planning to visit Siem Reap and wondered whether one should take any additional medical precautions. I've never taken malaria protection in Pattaya but it may be different
It's ok to ask other travellers/expats what they do you really should be taking this question to a medical doctor too. Once you've had medical advice, it's a personal choice and you have to weigh up the benefits and risks.

I was told Siem Reap is a malaria zone and recommended that I should take anti-malaria tablets, especially as I was going a bit further out of town than most. When I got there, I chatted to other travellers and local expats and found most of the expats don't take them unless they're going further into the countryside. About a week into taking them, I started getting some side effects so I chose to stop taking them.

One thing the locals told me is dengue fever is what they're more worried about there... so be sure to cover up and avoid being bitten regardless of whether you're taking anything.

goji
February 21st, 2013, 04:39
The first time, I took anti malaria tablets. On more recent visits, nothing at all.
Pack some good insect repellent & condoms.