PDA

View Full Version : So what are you looking for in a gay modern bar in Pattaya ?

MARK
February 15th, 2013, 09:00
So what are you looking for in a gay modern bar in Pattaya ?.

Its a general question open to any one, would be nice to get intelligent replies, and things that are actually possible to do here in Pattaya with out giving all the takings to the police every six month after being plastered all over the Tv news.

Suggestions that are legal would be nice. :idea1: :idea1: :idea1: :idea1: :idea1:

I am looking for something to do so am interested in your replies.

Mark Retired owner Krazy Dragon. :occasion5: :occasion5:

Manforallseasons
February 15th, 2013, 12:04
Without being factious my suggestion would be to sell, always easier to sell during high seasons.

anonone
February 15th, 2013, 18:17
Hi Mark.

Good to hear from you. I hope you are enjoying your free time...but now sounds like you may be getting a bit bored and looking for some new challenges.... :bounce:

You pose an interesting question, but I want to think about it a bit before really responding.

February 15th, 2013, 18:32
1. Reasonably priced drinks e.g 120B for a beer, 150B for spirits.
2. Cute boys obviously - appealing to a wide range.
3. No mamasans
4. No boys asking for a drink.
5. Music aimed at the customers, not the staff !!
6. Nibbles available free (e.g. small dish of nuts/crisps - the salt encourages you to drink more anyway so pays for itself)
7. Snacks (e.g. toasties, onion rings) available at a price.
8. Management visible on the premises at all times, to keep things in order

:occasion9:

February 15th, 2013, 18:57
You hit the nail on the head with the word - "modern" bar - something that doesn't have whicker furniture, nice shiny (clean) modern surfaces would be nice, perhaps a small jukebox ( either free or paid) so the customers could select music in quieter times, decent decor in general and not dirty walls covered in a shoddy paint job and then re painted rather than washed down. Tables that don't wobble where the waiter doesn't have to stick coasters under it. get shot of those horrible ( dirty) knitted coaster things than keep sticking to your glass anyway. a more open "bar" feel where you CAN sit and talk to other farang or boys without it being a big deal, less tables where it's each to their own and everyone sitting around looking at each other, As Scots say a small selection of hot food nibble food to keep you there such as chicken wings etc (chargeable), the ability to actually GO to the bar and get served without it becoming a major issue and all sorts of drama with cheque bins when you're buying ONE beer, choice of proper drinks brands and not always the rip off stuff ( which ends up being charged at full price anyway), a decent sized glass for spirits and not a tiny glass with a half vodka in it and a "splash" of coke where after three mouthfuls it's empty only for a boy to try to refill you every two minutes - it might be profitable but nothing makes me leave a bar faster, NOT a lot of waiters ( I accept it depends on what sort of bar your thinking of here) but lots of guys standing about waiting on your every mouthful can be as off putting as NO staff .....oh I could go on :-) but basically something along the lines of telephone / Balcony bar etc where you can just go in a sit in a bar and shoot the breeze and it's NOT all about screwing you over, forcing you to drink at a pace more than you want to ( not that that's ever a problem for me), no raft of boys all looking for an off ( again depends on the type of bar of course) oh and clean and modern glass wear and not something that looks like it was bought in 1953 and is still being used....as I said I could go on :-) But to me the one thing gay pattaya lacks is a good sociable chatty drinking bar where when you're tired of the boys for a while you can go and sit and have a bit of crack - a bit like Cheers I guess :-) .....and if such a bar exists and I'm just not aware of it in Pattaya then do please someone feel free to point me in it's direction ! Oh and the most important thing of course - 100% FREE DRINKS 24-7 ! - actually screw all the above bits, just concentrate on the last part and I'm sure your bar will be full to bursting every night - for about two months until you're bankrupt I guess !!! :-)

Motel69
February 15th, 2013, 21:11
I spent some time in Pattaya over New Year's. I was surprised at a big change. There were a lot of young-ish Western tourists hanging out in the beer bars of BoysTown.

And I was surprised again last week when my Thai quasi-boyfriend sent me a picture of himself and a bunch of other early-20s Thai men hanging out and seeming to have a great time in BoysTown.

What I'd like to see in a modern gay bar in Pattaya is a modern gay nightclub. Forget the beer bar model. There are plenty of those. Forget the go-go bar model. There are plenty of those, too. And forget the Dave's and NAB model because, well, if you have a choice, who really wants to buy an entire bottle of whiskey first thing upon walking in and then stand at the same table all night?

Open a proper nightclub. One with plenty of open space for mingling, dancing and strutting. Open a nightclub that can attract some proper electronic dance music DJs. If the place has the proper vibe, it'll attract gay men who just wanna have fun. It'll also then attract the cute guys who wouldn't mind flirting with older gentlemen, since they spend all evening doing that anyway on gayromeo.

Help nudge Pattaya in the direction it already seems to be going. Nighclubs are fun. And it seems everyone just complains about the quality of Pattaya beer bars and go-go bars, anyway.

cdnmatt
February 15th, 2013, 23:50
1.) Reasonable drink prices. Not 300/beer, forcing people to go on a quick one drink in-and-out mission to grab a boy.

2.) Music at a decent level. When I goto a bar, I like to meet & talk to people. When the music is too loud to hear anyone, I tend to leave.

3.) Tables / booths.

4.) Nice, open lighting.

5.) Menus at the table, with food I can order. Not 5 star food or anything, but basically just pub food type of thing, and some platters of finger food.

6.) Free wi-fi.

7.) Shirtless waiters.

That way I can take my laptop down, hang out in comfort, check in on work, invite some boys to sit with me, have a few drinks together, maybe order a platter or two of finger food, etc. At the end before I realize, it's several hours later and my bill is 4000 baht. That's better than being in-and-out within 15 minutes.

greenteaman
February 16th, 2013, 00:32
I have been a regular visitor to Pattaya for 14 years , -----I recon Jimmy Lumsden is the champion of coming up with the best ideas and modern themes in demand , he was the nucleus of boys town , now his resort , folk like every thing in one place , room, food, bars ,pool , he does cabaret at baan suay ,i havent been yet but i can feel the mood having been looking at recent pictures of valentine night, why not add a night club , saves all the hassle of going into town ,

February 16th, 2013, 01:08
Well I haven't been to Baan Souey (or whatever it's called) either - but if what you say is true, why is the BBB offering 30-40 years out of date ( I assume he's still running that?)

:dontknow:

loke
February 16th, 2013, 01:54
I have been inside a Gentlemans night club in Jomtien with straight friends, in soi watboon ,its very classy and men go there to find cute ladies of course, on stage and some shows going on .
Very nice decor , and the music was good , not too loud.

I am sure Pattaya need something like that , a Gay night club , a bit different than the rest , but still relaxed , and no mamasans, drink prices dont have to be on the low side as long as the club itself gives you a good experience.

A club that you want to stay in for hours ....

February 16th, 2013, 02:06
Yes.....some good ideas....it would be great if ther were gay dance clubs in pattaya like the ones in Vauxhall, London

joe552
February 16th, 2013, 02:15
pardon my ignorance, bluechris, but where have colmx, NIrish Guy and martin911 been spending the early hours of the morning? :dontknow:

February 16th, 2013, 02:33
yeah to be fair Joe Dave or Nab are a million miles away from Vauxhall......the sleezy cess pit of gay clubbing that it is :-)) And I say that in a loving way towards vauxhall of course ! ....as I take it you WERE referring to the seedy sweaty dancy flesh pits of Vauxhall there Bluechris ....or maybe we're thinking of totally different clubs - but I doubt it :-)

February 16th, 2013, 02:52
I'm into Hard house music...so travell down from manchester some weekends to dance at some of the clubs..their like supersize clubs..great dj's,They mix their own music..so you wont hear it anywhere else.....i have a Dance club tattoo on my left arm....Trade club logo....in my opinion the greatest gay dance club of all time
it would be great to go to a place like that in Thai.....i put my TRADE cd's on for the thai lads somtimes and they love dancing to it

joe552
February 16th, 2013, 02:59
so you want a place that is a sleazy cesspit, NIrish? words fail me :dontknow:

February 16th, 2013, 03:02
I didn't say that joe .......although now that you mention it ! .... :-)

February 16th, 2013, 03:05
No i think you have not seen them recently.....thier very professional'y run places and sometimes have as many as 3,000 people there .....i'm well known gig and dance club promoter ..so know what i'm talking about

jaydonny
February 16th, 2013, 03:22
A scaled down version of http://bedsupperclub.com/ :party

joe552
February 16th, 2013, 03:37
In a sense it's a flawed question. There is no one "type" of gay man who either lives in, or visits Pattaya, so there will always be people who want different things from their bar. The younger crowd might want a particular type of music, while us old fogeys want a quieter place to spend time. I find enough bars that I enjoy spending time in, so I don't have any complaints. If the object is to attract a younger crowd, I'll leave that to others to answer. And just for the record, I've just turned 57.

colmx
February 16th, 2013, 07:29
Castro Bar in the old Amor premises seems to be getting a good number of vsitors.
Its pretty much aa balcony/telephone clone (without food)... but seems to especially draw younger farangs (20s, 30s, 40s) in numbers...
Interestingly i rarely see these guys make it to the clubs... guess they are more concerned with working on their sun tans!

CoffeeBreak
February 16th, 2013, 07:48
Two of the most successful places in BKK are DJ Station and Babylon. Does anyone have the resources to open similar establishments in Pattaya in the right locations, and would such establishments attract the customers?
What I would look for in a modern Pattaya bar is not the likes of snacks, juke boxes or mama sans but to be surrounded by cuties who are worth getting to know.

Jellybean
February 16th, 2013, 09:28
Mark IтАЩm a great fan of тАЬThe SopranosтАЭ TV series and one of the backdrops to this programme is the Bad Bing Club, a bar with big busty pole dancing females (nearly typed pole vaulting females!) gyrating, bending over suggestively, exposing their private bits and flirting with the male, straight customers.

The dancers were wearing either bikini bottoms or G-strings. The bar is square shaped with customers sitting around all four sides and the girls dance in the middle. As the girls move round the bar customers give them money so there is a financial incentive for the girls to dance provocatively.

As IтАЩve watched the programme IтАЩve often thought if they were men dancing and bending over displaying their private places theyтАЩd have my custom if there was a gay bar equivalent in Bangkok or Pattaya!

In the Bada Bing Club there is also the option to pay the girl to give you a private dance with extras.

IтАЩve never been to a pole dance bar, but I have a vague memory of a friend saying he encountered such a club in Canada and my friend saying it was great fun, especially the private dance part.

I suppose Happy Bar does something broadly similar, but IтАЩm not sure if the boys dance suggestively, behave in a sexy manner and entice you by giving you sneak peeks of their private bits. ItтАЩs been a long time since I was last at Happy Bar, but I donтАЩt recall ever feeling aroused watching the boys, in fact I think I may have even felt the exact opposite, i.e. feeling irritated by their girlish behaviour.

Something along the above lines would be infinitely better than watching a group of bored boys shuffling about on a stage, as they mainly do in the Bangkok bars with which I am more familiar. The boys would quite obviously have to be given formal, sexy dance training similar to strippers. And, as mentioned above, there would be a financial incentive for the boys to put some effort into their performance by collecting tips, which in some instances could amount to a sizeable sum of money.

The price of a drink is also a major factor, although Pattaya is definitely a lot cheaper than Bangkok. For example, last week I bought 5 drinks in a bar in Hua Hin, one for me and four for the boy! The drinks cost a reasonable 120 Baht each. But there is no way I would have bought 5 drinks in, say, Dream Boys bar in Bangkok, well not without remortgaging my apartment! : )

Given your previous expertise in this area, do you think this is a viable suggestion, taking into account the legal restrictions placed on bar owners by the police in Pattaya, or am I simply whistling in the wind?

-0-

I see that some members have broadened out the question to include nightclubs. IтАЩm with bluechris on this one as an original member of Trade, the best gay club in the world. : ) Bluechris I still have a black bomber jacket with the original Trade logo on the front and the Trade baby on the back that was sold to me by one of the two club promoters. I wonder if it would fetch anything on eBay? I was too shy to get a permanent Trade tattoo and occasionally used the temporary ones when, for example, I went to Trade at Manumission in Ibiza. : )

But yes, a nightclub as defined by the rest of the world, i.e. one with a dance floor, would probably attract a younger gay crowd, but I fear ThailandтАЩs draconian drug laws would prevent the young gay club going fraternity from considering Thailand when there are so many other, less restrictive, locations nearer to home.

lonelywombat
February 16th, 2013, 09:33
Myself and 6 others had breakfast to welcome back one of our group that returned overnight from Pattaya. All of us have been recently or plan to soon, bar one
I raised this question with them and got no answers worth recording.

Some 15 minutes later it came up again from a friend who has been to Miami Florida a number of times. He stated that sitting in the cane chairs was like the streets in Miami
where retirees sit watching the world walk past. Not many people walking by and nothing to drink. He replied that the cane chairs and lounges were his favorite hate.
His preference was to sit at a bar where he could chat with others or at least the barman. They dislike all cane chairs and the individual tables, and prefer to drink at the bar..
BTW this is pre dinner or sometimes after dinner when not doing a show.

There was agreement on this and two bars were nominated as preferred. Colonial and Sky Restaurant and Drinks.
Colonial was preferred but there are one or two clients who arrive about 7.30 take over the TV control most nights, to watch their own preferred shows. They will then leave, if by themselves.
They have also moved to straight bars, where there is local action ,like football.

The second was meals One of the boys had thought of bidding to take over the kitchen of Don Plaza, and to arrange for meals to be ordered by phone from any bar and delivered to the bar.
In Seam Reap I have had meals delivered to the Wine Bar and enjoyed the service and had my preferred wines ,which were better than on offer elsewhere.
It was suggested that there is a man that bakes and delivers pies from a cart, which are superb. My friend from the UK raved about one of his pies, not sure which one. [Cornish Pastie]
Here at home many small bars have eliminated kitchens and put in pre cooked frozen half size pizzas. They sell for Australia $5. I am sure they could be done for cheaper than that in LOS.
Easy to put into microwave for 3 minutes , no staff, plates or washing up

Staff. One of our friends avoids Corner Bar even though it has changed hands several times. He walked in early , sat at the bar or stood and asked for a drink.
The female? behind the bar ordered him to go and sit down,
He is obstinate and does not like getting orders. No body will serve you until you sit down. He gave up and found Sky next door
The ability of the bar attendant to talk english was considered important. A non english speaker is a let down.

Their comment is if I find a bar that I liked I would make that my regular station. If they upset me I will find another.

Music. This flows over to bars, go go and disco. Who picks the music. One of the reasons they are so so about The Venue, is the songs are not familiar.They might appeal to those who are teenagers,
but almost all the songs were new to them. The songs are picked by the performers for their own fun, not for visitors.
Copa ,Boyz3 and WWWboys are not as bad but at times they feel like walking out of them as well.

These guys go out for dinner and see a show, or have a massage and have a drinking night.

The question was about a gay modern bar. What was not raised by anyone was the price of drinks.

If the above points are satisfied they would be happy.

But is there anybody interested.

MARK
February 16th, 2013, 09:42
Please Do not jump on me from a grate height because I am not sure if things have changed. But several years a go I looked in to opening a disco and was quite quickly told LEGALLY, so that's not to say it does not happen, but you are not allowed an open style dance floor. This is the reason that all the so called discos and night spots have the stand up tables every where.
:dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

francois
February 16th, 2013, 10:20
As IтАЩve watched the programme IтАЩve often thought if they were men dancing and bending over displaying their private places theyтАЩd have my custom if there was a gay bar equivalent in Bangkok or Pattaya!

In the Bada Bing Club there is also the option to pay the girl to give you a private dance with extras.

Jellybean; What you describe is basically available at Happy Boy Bar in vicinity of Sunee Plaza not to be confused with Happy Place in Boyztown area both in Pattaya. And yes, they do have a lounge for one-on-one private "dance" with extras. I also believe there is a Happy Bar but that one is a girlie bar.

Beachlover
February 16th, 2013, 10:37
A scaled down version of http://bedsupperclub.com/ :party
That would be nice but it's never going to happen... there might be scaled down STRAIGHT version of Bed Supper Club eventually but the gay segment in Pattaya doesn't have the size or the right demographics to justify such a place. I don't think it's possible for any substantial-sized gay nightclub or bar to survive in Pattaya unless it's underpinned by prostitution.

Two of the most successful places in BKK are DJ Station and Babylon. Does anyone have the resources to open similar establishments in Pattaya in the right locations, and would such establishments attract the customers?
What I would look for in a modern Pattaya bar is not the likes of snacks, juke boxes or mama sans but to be surrounded by cuties who are worth getting to know.
I think it's more about commercial viability than having the resources. Having the resources doesn't make it commercially viable.

The closest thing to DJ Station I know in Pattaya is NAB and the offering staff that customers can "off" is critical to it being profitable. It's arguable that without that, it wouldn't exist.

Pattaya probably doesn't have the demographics to support something as big and busy as Babylon either...

Jellybean
February 16th, 2013, 10:44
Jellybean; What you describe is basically available at Happy Boy Bar in vicinity of Sunee Plaza not to be confused with Happy Place in Boyztown area both in Pattaya. And yes, they do have a lounge for one-on-one private "dance" with extras. I also believe there is a Happy Bar but that one is a girlie bar.

Thank you Francois. I meant Happy Boy Bar not NealтАЩs former bar and certainly not a girlie bar. And if anyone alleges IтАЩve been in one, then itтАЩs a damned scurrilous lie! : )

a447
February 16th, 2013, 10:54
Jellybean, I also like your idea of a strip club - the raunchier the better. (a sleazy cesspit, even) :sign5:

Francois, the problem I have with Happy Boy is that, as Jelly pointed out, the boys are all fem and that is a turn-off for me. I want strong masculine guys and would definitely patronise a club like that. Drink prices don't really matter all that much if there is a very entertaining show to go with it.

And snacks and a private room where we could get to know each other better would also be welcome. In fact anything to get away from the bored-looking boys shuffling on stage would be welcome!

lonelywombat
February 16th, 2013, 12:49
The request was for a gay modern bar in Pattaya.

Does a gay disco like DJ station fit what is being looked for,

Maybe an indication of what actually is being asked

A strip bar, something like Happy Boys with what??

More go,go, more nudity, more dancing . Maybe some guidance between fanciful requests and anything different to what is here now?

Maybe the OP can give some guidance after two pages.

aot871
February 16th, 2013, 17:55
[quote="MARK"]Please Do not jump on me from a grate height because I am not sure if things have changed. But several years a go I looked in to opening a disco and was quite quickly told LEGALLY, so that's not to say it does not happen, but you are not allowed an open style dance floor. This is the reason that all the so called discos and night spots have the stand up tables every where(.unquote)
I might be wrong in thinking but im sure that the DJ station has a open dance floor in bkk, as has G.O.D

February 16th, 2013, 18:17
I always thought the no dance floor thing eas just a local Pattaya law thing no? Or if not then DJ etc must be paying through the nose for the pleasure ? Which i guess as well as the drugs issue is why GOD is opened and closed more than a farangs wallet at a go go boy convention ! :-) Anyone know for sure ?

aot871
February 16th, 2013, 19:50
Can any one explain to me why the its against the law in pattaya to have a western style dance floor as i have always wondered

cdnmatt
February 16th, 2013, 20:03
Can any one explain to me why the its against the law in pattaya to have a western style dance floor as i have always wondered

Crime, I would imagine. Pick pockets, stabbings, etc.

Honestly, I never even knew it was against the law. I thought it was just a cultural thing, because you don't see Western style dance floors anywhere in Thailand, really. Bangkok sounds like it has a couple, but that would be about it.

February 16th, 2013, 20:12
Like yourself Matt I assumed it to mainly cultural, or perhaps some old laws there once which are still on the statute books perhaps but it was the cultural reasons behind it keeping then in place ie that basically a western style dance floor isn't very Thai ( or isn't Thai at all of course) and why would such a beatiful country want their citizens thrashing about like a load of uncivilised western fools ( I don't disagree with them on that point actually ) - however the most annoying thing is that even though its not their culture etc my god Thai guys can dance ! Man I could stand and watch them for hours, they have no inhibitions that most westerns have, they are out to dance like its their last night on earth and have the maximum fun and if they can add a whole dollop of sex appeal in there too while they're at it they'll excel at that too ! Which I guess is perhaps why the government don't want to promote or tolerate such low class western behaviour for such a gentle soft people ( and I'm bring serious when I say that) - but my god can Thai guys ( and Asians generally) dance - the buggers ! :/) Ha sorry the very thought of all those hot Thai guys up dancing took me totally off topic, apologies to the Op !

anonone
February 16th, 2013, 20:42
First...have to agree with NIrish. I have a real thing for Thai dancers, and have several as friends :evil4:
Nothing better in my opinion.

As for Mark's original question, a lot of the replies are more geared toward running a "good" bar under the current set-ups more than re-imagining the whole idea.

If the intent is to attract younger crowd of tourists, I don't think any incarnation of either a beer bar, gogo bar, or disco is the way to go...especially in Pattaya.

As someone mentioned before, as gays are more accepted at home, there is less need to see Thailand as an escape where sex is easy and available.

BF and I occasionally venture to the straight discos, usually when we don't want to get a group together for a NAB/Dave trip. There are gays there as well as straights, just dancing and drinking, not necessarily looking for hookups. I bet this is where a lot of the young gays end up at night, rather than BT, etc. and I should mention the Mix club (near the pier) has an open dance floor as well as table setup, so it is possible in Pattaya.

There are a couple of viable options for a new type of gay bar. I would love to see a GOOD day bar, either host or not....actually I would prefer hosts. :sign5: Giving everyone a good alternative to hanging out at the beach could be a real draw. Assuming there are not overwhelming zoning or police obstacles, it also makes good money sense. Longer open hours to offset rent and other fixed costs, etc. The right staff would also be important, just like at every bar, and I acknowledge this could be challenging to staff during the day.

I think the idea of an upscale gogo bar might also be popular. Exotic dancing, shows, private rooms, etc. I just think it might need to be too expensive to support the level of tea money needed, and certainly doesn't meet Marks original request about the type of bar.

BeginnerMind
February 16th, 2013, 22:45
A few posters mentioned that it's essential to have a constant stream of attractive boys in your bar. I agree.

I've noticed that there is a type of business that finds it easy to get attractive boys in the door. Such businesses are located all around south Pattaya. They don't pay the boys, the boys pay them! I'm talking about hair dressers. The most attractive boys will often start their night out there having their hair touched up for a small fee. It's mostly a simple operation taking a few minutes with a bit of a comb and a spray.

It's a bit off-the-wall, but if I opened a bar in Pattaya, I'd twin it with a hair dressers. I'd have very low prices for the hair and maintain a queue for the services with a distinct waiting area visible and close to the main bar. I'd give discounts to anyone who buys a drink or has a drink bought for them. I'd expect a constant stream of attractive boys, and customers to enjoy the show. Not sure if or how I'd ask for off fees though.

February 16th, 2013, 23:21
Welcome to the board - but you may be missing a trick with your idea.

If you stocked up on lemon pledge, yellow dusters, and wig shampoo - you could do the punters "hair" as well as the boys.

[attachment=0:2w178z4c]bald.jpg[/attachment:2w178z4c]

February 17th, 2013, 01:03
So, the one person we haven't heard from is Mark himself !

So, Mark whilst I know this tread was for you to hear others thoughts etc what do you, with your years of experience now behind you, think would work well on Pattaya and is this something you're actively looking into or is this just a pipe dream to give yourself something to mull over on the dark nights as after your last bar which was such a success it will be interesting to see what you can do with somewhere new perhaps when you don't have the shackles of it having to be a go go bar perhaps ? I look forward to visiting it if you do for it ! :-)

Doug
February 17th, 2013, 03:59
One night I was in the old JimJimmyJames Gogo. A very skinny guy was having problems keeping his oversized boxers up. This created much fun for the other boy and great amusement for the customers. Finally one of the more active guys grabbed the back of the boxers and pushed his one leg then the other inside so that both boys were in the now overly stuffed shorts. They attempted to dance like that...pressed together so. The roars of laughter filled the bar and tips flowed generously from the customers. The other dancers started little hi-jinks of their own which contributed to the enjoyment of all. Customers stayed for additional drinks, many boys were invited to sit with customers and a couple of bottles were bought (1 by me) for the staff.

I look for a bar where the boys seem to be having fun together. If their happy, in a good mood, "playing" then I'm very happy and will stay. This playing is not staged but spontanious. How does this occur? Here's a few of suggestions:

1. There must be a mamasan who manages the boys and the activity NOT the customers.
2. The music needs to inspire the boys but not at a deafing level...maybe on occasion of a popular song but not all the time.
3. A few mirrors encourage the boys.
4. The more active boys require inducements from both the customers and management.
5. Fem-boys and boy-boys must mix on the stage .
6. Off stage fun needs to be encouraged.
7. The guys need to learn how to tease the customers.....not be blatant or reclusive.

My favourite bars from the past were JJJs, Kaos and Sundance, (now Yaya's).

Beachlover
February 17th, 2013, 08:43
I always thought the no dance floor thing eas just a local Pattaya law thing no? Or if not then DJ etc must be paying through the nose for the pleasure ? Which i guess as well as the drugs issue is why GOD is opened and closed more than a farangs wallet at a go go boy convention ! :-) Anyone know for sure ?
I never thought having a dancefloor was against the law either... Is that true?

It's definitely not a local Pattaya thing because nightclubs all over Thailand, including most in Bangkok are like that, with everyone dancing round individual tables.

A lot of nightclubs I've been to around Asia do the same thing in term of having individual tables but they will always still have a central dance floor. Thailand's the only place I can recall, which has a lot of nightclubs with tables and no dance floor.

BF and I occasionally venture to the straight discos, usually when we don't want to get a group together for a NAB/Dave trip. There are gays there as well as straights, just dancing and drinking, not necessarily looking for hookups. I bet this is where a lot of the young gays end up at night, rather than BT, etc. and I should mention the Mix club (near the pier) has an open dance floor as well as table setup, so it is possible in Pattaya.
Yeah, that's generally what I do with my BF when I'm in Pattaya these days. Though it has been several months since I visited. Don't go to any gay bars or clubs anymore... Usually just mainstream bars to hang out. If I was single and looking to hook up I would go to the gay nightclubs though.

Neal
February 17th, 2013, 08:45
I assume but not sure they are legal but would require yet another license and have more laws associated with it.

MARK
February 17th, 2013, 09:31
LoL sorry guys you are asking the wrong person for a view on the future of a gay venues or a modern new gay venue for Pattaya. I have spent the past 2 years going over severely options most have which have been covered here and long term would not be financially sustainable.

If any thing new large and exiting is going to happen in the Pattaya gay front it will be by a Russian millionaire with nothing better to do marketed for the younger end of the market.

I know many disagree but they are here they are here to stay and they are catering for them selves and the Russian market.

The odd go go bar male and female will survive but more as tourist attractions, if the local government has its way.

The Russian tourist industry is a floating market they spend on average 10/15 years holidaying in the latest hot spots before slowly moving on and out, of course I am referring to the country as a whole not individuals.

So back to me not sure what to do LEARN Russian? :bounce:

February 17th, 2013, 16:03
When i'm in Pattaya ..i go to straight clubs too...like Mix Discotheque at the top of walking street......and they have open Dance floors like in the west...so is it someting just in gay places in Pattaya ?

BeginnerMind
February 17th, 2013, 18:48
Another type of hybrid I think could work well is a massage shop/bar. Nice to be able to relax with a drink and chat before choosing a masseur.

a447
February 17th, 2013, 21:05
I think that option may already be available at the Up2U massage/bar in Sunee Plaza. Although come to think of it, I believe it was closed when I visited in the afternoon a couple of trips ago. Maybe someone has some updated info on the place.

lonelywombat
February 18th, 2013, 03:52
Another type of hybrid I think could work well is a massage shop/bar. Nice to be able to relax with a drink and chat before choosing a masseur.

When I first started to visit Bangkok my first sauna was the Albury where you could have a meal or drink and watch the boys perform in the gym. From memory the boys were numbered and had ratings as to what they did and what they did not do. Not sure if it still allowed but it was a great idea.

I had asked about the two massages near Tukcom which are big enough to have a bar, why they had not done so. Blue House and Royal House . I still think it is an option for them to consider.

I think a cool drink in the bigger places while considering the boys, an excellent idea.

The cheaper small massages around Tukcom have lower prices, you shower by yourself and a happy ending is the best you can expect. Their english is straight from the farm.

BeginnerMind
February 18th, 2013, 10:28
Thanks a447 - I'll have to check that place out during my next visit.

When I first started to visit Bangkok my first sauna was the Albury where you could have a meal or drink and watch the boys perform in the gym. From memory the boys were numbered and had ratings as to what they did and what they did not do. Not sure if it still allowed but it was a great idea.

Sounds like a fine establishment - addition of a gym would further enhance the experience.

I had asked about the two massages near Tukcom which are big enough to have a bar, why they had not done so. Blue House and Royal House . I still think it is an option for them to consider.

I think a cool drink in the bigger places while considering the boys, an excellent idea.

The cheaper small massages around Tukcom have lower prices, you shower by yourself and a happy ending is the best you can expect. Their english is straight from the farm.

I must say I greatly prefer these establishments. The way to best enjoy the experience is to arrive insisting you want nothing more than than an oil massage and gradually allow the masseur to convince you otherwise. With the right sort of attitude you'll find all sorts of things on the menu.

I've had nothing but disappointment in the higher fee / 'minimum tip' type places. An unsexy massage, followed by a unenthusiastic performance. The guaranteed tip together with the structured nature of the thing takes away all the incentive and excitement.

anonone
February 18th, 2013, 18:28

Not quite accurate, in my experience. But it does depend on the customer....agree it is not a "sure thing'

latintopxxx
February 19th, 2013, 02:57
No pressure to offa boy...or invoye a boy to sit next to you so you can buy him drinks....just leave me alone and in my own good time I will decide. Currently in the Atlanta in the US enjoying the long weekend (presidents day weekend) with a friend.
We hit 3 gogo /stripper bars.
BJ Roosters;boys in underwear dance on the bar, you reach up feel their privates/arse in exchange for a USD1.00 tip, yes one dollar, and they are happy, for USD10 they will give you a lap dance in a private booth where you can fully explore their bodies.
Bliss; at any time there will be 3 guys stripping on different stages, they pole dance and strip compltely nakes and swing their junk all over the place, again when you walk up to give then a 1 dollar tip you graba good feel of their junk. later in the evening, like after midnight, while strippers are on stage other guys walk among the audience naked (audience sit at little tables) and agin for one dollar tips you can grope to your earts content.
swinging richards, same a bliss.
I spent close to a 100 dollars in the 3 places in total and only had 5 beers, the rest was tips; had heaps of fun; groped at least 20 guys.
Now wish Thailand had the same...but being THAIland....only better.

In early Jan visited St Louis...one stripper bar, cant recall the name, it was the best, on the wrong side of town, economically depressed, and the strippers really allowed one to fondle them at length for a dollar or two...

Beachlover
February 19th, 2013, 05:45
I have spent the past 2 years going over severely options most have which have been covered here and long term would not be financially sustainable.
You're probably right...

Here's the sobering thing... All the sexpats and sex tourists talk about wanting this and wanting that but it doesn't look like this segment as a whole is prepared to PAY a premium for any of it.

Many or most of you sound like you're flat out paying anything past 120 baht for a drink. That's about $3.50. Talk about a tough market to please. What Neal delivered with his last business is probably the extent of what you're going to be able to buy for that and he was about as proactive as a bar owner can get.

Where I am, most bars and clubs are charging around $8 to $11 per glass for spirits. The nightclub I went to on the weekend was priced at a premium, around $12 to $15 a glass for spirits. But it's more high end. Place is beautifully decked out. The DJs are awesome. There are less obnoxious morons and fewer douche bags. Toilets are the sort you'd find in a 5-star hotel. Service staff are plentiful and top notch. Never have to wait more than a minute to buy a drink. You get the picture. We have an awesome night every time we go there. The reason this place is financially sustainable is here, there's lots of people prepared to pay a premium for that level of service.

There are some markets where sufficient people are prepared to pay a premium for higher value service and some markets where people aren't. And in the market Mark is talking about, it's pretty clear if you build that sort of place and charge a reasonable premium for it, people won't come. It won't be economically viable.

People need to stop dreaming of the "ideal bar" and accept that their desires (or the desires of their group as a whole) aren't aligned with their affordability or willingness to pay. Just be happy with what you've got...

goteed1
February 19th, 2013, 07:09
In early Jan visited St Louis...one stripper bar, cant recall the name, it was the best, on the wrong side of town, economically depressed, and the strippers really allowed one to fondle them at length for a dollar or two...

That would be Boxers and Briefs! The only reason I look forward to traveling to St Louis for business. That bar could really teach Thailand a thing or two about how to seduce their customers.

dab69
February 19th, 2013, 08:03

That would be Boxers and Briefs! The only reason I look forward to traveling to St Louis for business. That bar could really teach Thailand a thing or two about how to seduce their customers.

Think Latin mentioned it before, so I had looked this up. $75 special dance in the VIP room. Other charges may also apply.
Clothed lap dance $25. admission + VIP room admission (unless you are getting a dance and have a $150 VIP card- good for one year unless revoked for bad behavior).

http://stlouis.gaycities.com/bars/1118-boxers-n-briefs
http://www.boxersnbriefs.com/

goteed1
February 19th, 2013, 08:19
I have never been in the VIP room, because I've had enough fun out on the regular room. They do try to upsell you to the VIP room and that's where you have the fun. Try harder to convince me!

latintopxxx
February 19th, 2013, 18:20
The web advertised prices do not correlate to reality...lotsa fun to be had for less, and all the "boys"are stunners, not a single fat/ugly one....and yes it was boxers and briefs....had to drive through a pretty rough part of town to get there.all very friendly...no aggressive hard sell...

dab69
February 20th, 2013, 07:10
still wondering if it would be worth a five hour drive and overnight stay.
Maybe when it warms up a bit here next month.

Feel like TH/Pattaya has spoiled me forever :)

latintopxxx
February 20th, 2013, 10:45
well business brings me to evansville....so apart from trawling the local trailer park for white trailer trash there isn't much else to do....and st louis is only a 2 hour drive away....so well worth it.

lonelywombat
February 20th, 2013, 11:26
I am sure this St Louis will get lost in the main thread of "gay modern bar in Pattaya"

Maybe it could get back on topic and the US /ST Louis contents saved for future reference.

It will be some months before I am in the US again and would like to find this again.