PDA

View Full Version : Central, South America

May 30th, 2006, 00:41
Having tired a bit of Thailand recently I've decided to try somewhere new, and have decided on South America. Latin guys are beautiful.
Problem is, which country to go to. I've read that homosexuality isn't looked on too kindly, as the guys have their macho image to uphold (I remember being told something similar about Arabic guys before I went to Tunisia, Morocco and Egypt....let's just say that they were the randiest guys I've ever encountered...in one place I stayed they were almost forming a queue to get a bj :faroah: )

Any ideas where I can have fun and culture at the same time..?

Shiva

Abuelo-old
May 30th, 2006, 02:01
Hello. I wish I had more concrete details for you but would love to hear the results of your research. I find the men of SA very attractive. Just last week I have purchased a ticket to Lima and am researching that location with a lot more diligence. Bogota and Caracas both also hold an attraction to me at the moment too. None of those places will be as "in your face" as Thailand but I can speak Spanish far better than I could ever hope to speak Thai and it should be quite an adventure.

May 30th, 2006, 03:21
If you are young and hot, any big SA city.
If the typical out of shape older Thailand style farang, try Rio (sex workers in the saunas) and Lima, avoid Buenos Aires.
Buenos Aires is even a hard nut for the young and the hot; these guys aren't interested in foreigners and you won't understand them even if you speak Spanish; otherwise, a fantastic place to visit.

May 30th, 2006, 04:09
There was a thread about this on the old Sawadee Board and a search may prove productive. I remember it only because of one utterly irrelevant piece of information - the hookers in PR are known as 'buggarones' (or perhaps they are the customers?)

yaraboy
May 30th, 2006, 11:36
Many great venues in L America. You did also mention culture....Hard to top Mexico City. Also about 200 bars and clubs. Certainally not a Thai scene. You will not find many money boys per say but its interesting how expensive taxi fares are to far flung areas of the city after the subway stops.

Havana is of course great for talent......probably the hottest boys in the world and all available for $ 20 (regardless how young or old you are)

Quito. San Jose Lima Rio and I could go on !

May 30th, 2006, 11:51
I found Mexico City too crazy dangerous. Going to a disco, everyone is patted down for guns. Even in the Zona Rosa, I always felt on the edge of a crime. Once a shoe shine guy kicked me in the shins because I declined a shine on my unshinable shoes.

San Jose Costa Rica I found very friendly and easy to meet people, especially in the saunas.

Actually, in South America in general you have to really aware of the crime. I found Buenos Aires the least scary, but people say in Quito you have to take a taxi everywhere, no walking around and exploring, and I hate that.

May 30th, 2006, 16:07
Probably not on your radar! I once met and spent some pleasurable times with a gorgeous guy from Ecuador. He was a bit of a poser but was a complete stunner. When I asked if everyone back home (we were both in the US) was as handsome as him, he replied 'No, they are all ugly, I don't know what happened to make me so beautiful'.

May 30th, 2006, 16:43
Another vote for Costa Rica here!

I visited Costa Rica a few times -- both when I was young and svelte (please be kind!), and many of the nicest beach areas had no electricity, and, a bit older, when it became more developed. San Jose is old, dusty and full of character, and the Pacific beaches (ie. Manual Antonio) are great. There are quite a few web sites to google on the subject... If you go, avoid the Caribbean coast -- the beaches are too dangerous to swim (strong undercurrents) and the night life is even more dangerous, unless you are an expert in self-defence.

yaraboy
May 30th, 2006, 21:59
Different strokes..................... San Jose is a polluted small town with no culture. Sure the boys are Ok but is that all you want. I have been to Mexico City 20 times.and while there is an edge there have never encountered any violence. Once pick pocketed though..be very careful on subway.

May 30th, 2006, 22:45
I agree with your assessment of San Jose CR but it does have a fun social life.
Mexico City has never caught on as a fun tourist destination because of the pollution and crime, but is worth at least one visit for the incredible cultural offerings. Also, good luck bringing anyone back to your hotel in Mexico, except at an exclusively gay hotel like found in Puerto Vallara. The first time I tried this, they banged on the door every 10 minutes (how romantic) and threatened to call the police.

cottmann
May 31st, 2006, 08:33
..... The first time I tried this, they banged on the door every 10 minutes (how romantic) and threatened to call the police.

Trying to get in - or out?

May 31st, 2006, 10:11
..... The first time I tried this, they banged on the door every 10 minutes (how romantic) and threatened to call the police.

Trying to get in - or out?
This was back when I was younger and cuter, what dya think?

yaraboy
May 31st, 2006, 12:10
Glad everyone thinks Mexico City is polluted and crime ridden........less competition as I get older! Never have problems with Mexican Hotels but then I know how to slip off $5 when necessary

Davey612
May 31st, 2006, 22:54
Colombia is a country that I had the least interest in given the bad press. But I may be wrong. See this blogger's experiences: sangroncito.blogspot.com/ (http://sangroncito.blogspot.com/)

Surfcrest
June 8th, 2006, 21:31
Mexico seems to have become less intolerant of the gay scene with every visit. Yes there are some dangerous areas in Mexico City but doesn't that apply to many big cities, especially in North America? I find the Zona Rosa itself to be quite safe. Getting to the subway at night has its risks though as some thugs have been known to hang out around the underpass. Having a good handle on the language certainly makes a big difference. I don't find Mexico City to be any more polluted than Bangkok. The foul air usually hangs on the upper ridges where usually the poorer barrios are. If it weren't for the fags and the cruise ships, PV would have died when Cancun became the jewel of the country. As in Thailand, there are plenty of places that allow you to bring company home with you at night. You simply need to know where to stay or how to work around the rule$. Mazatland and Manzanillo were good places to meet boys when I was there last, but thatтАЩs going back some years. I know there are a few members here that recall the good old days in Acapulco at the house up in the hills.

I lived in Guatemala for a year some 15 years ago and have been back several times since. Guatemala City is ten times more dangerous than Mexico City and slightly more polluted. Again this is in certain areas and the Zona Rosa just gets better with each visit. There have always been a number of great places down in Zona 1, bathhouses, theaters and parks for cruising. Antigua and the large population of gringos has created a more gay-friendly environment. Some of the Mayan boys with less distinct features are extremely handsome and can be found throughout both the Highlands and in certain areas of the Peten. I have found blonde Guatemalans in Coban (North of Guatemala City) whose families settles here after the second WW.
Lago Atitland is one of the most beautiful lakes on earth, lined with volcanoes and small villages full of very handsome people.

El Salvador is one big notch up in the danger scale from Guatemala. There are some very beautiful and rich people in the Zona Rosa. I prefer Los Blancos, just south of the airport and on the coast. Every weekend the families and young folk from the city come to rent huts or sleep outdoors in hammocks while they enjoy the coast during the day. IтАЩve found the outdoor palapa style bars to be loads of fun and easy to meet boys. While it really helps to have a basic understanding of Spanish in Central America, understanding the dialect in El Salvador is very difficult.

Honduras is much safer than either Guatemala or El Salvador. Cruising is the name of the game there. I find the country away from the Caribbean coast to be quite barren and ugly. The coast and especially the Cayes or Islands people are darker than the rest of the country (Garrifuna / Creole). The same applies in Guatemala (Puerto Barrios) and Costa Rica (Limon). ItтАЩs not uncommon to see young naked teenagers swimming along the coast with their big appendages in view. The sand fleas though spoil many if not most of the Cayes.

I havenтАЩt been to Belize since it has become popular with tourists so I canтАЩt really comment on the scene one way or another. ItтАЩs a great place to go to get back to speaking English again and has some of the best (although expensive) diving programs on the reef. When I was there last, the reefer business was bigger than that of the reef itself making both Belmopan, Belize City and the coast up to Chatumal Mexico somewhat dangerous. That was a long time ago though, while the civil war was still going on in Guatemala making the land journey between Belize and the Peten very hazardous.

Costa Rica has more of a gay scene of the countries in Central America. Manuel Antonio along the coast, although crawling with gringos has many gay / lesbian places to stay and you will find plenty of fags. I have never like San Jose all that much. There is an incredible water park in Alajuela that is well known for picking up boys or just hanging out to watch all that brown shiny skin. Some of you may remember the farm in Puntarenas, although that is long gone.

IтАЩve passed through the Panama Canal and IтАЩve taken a limited stop in Panama City. There was a war happening the only other time I had planned on passing through the country and was advised on the border not to enter. Although it is still on my list of places to check out (all be it far down the list) I have never heard any gay related information about how it is.

This is my fairly abbreviated account of Central America. I usually spend most of my time in Guatemala and can relate more about that country than all the rest combined. I am planning a Cuban trip right after hurricane season to Cuba this year with another Sawatdee member and my boyfriend this year. If you want to know more about Guatemala, please ask.