PDA

View Full Version : Siem Reap. Driver and car

Janus
February 12th, 2013, 18:53
Young driver

As I have had more drivers when I make the trips arround Siem Reap I would like to recommend the one I now use every time: Mr. Khim. He is a young man about 25 years old who tries to make some money as he is also studying english at Angkor University. He drives very considerate unlike most other cambodians and is a very nice company which I find important -also on the longer trips. At least I feel very comfertable when he is driving me arround. And no, he is not ... . He has a very nice girlfriend.

:thumbleft: Call him: +855 974 838 960 and make your inquiery. You will save a lot not not to have an agency or a receptionist to do that for you.

paperboy
February 13th, 2013, 07:02
hi

thanks for the info, im going in may-june
has he a email address???

Janus
February 13th, 2013, 12:00
Hello paperboy

Yes, it is: peakhim@gmail.com

:mail1:

Janus
March 21st, 2013, 11:01
Make your appointments about trips directly with the driver whether it is a TUK TUK or a car. It is very easy.

Both the tuk tuk driver and the car driver can give you the best price. The car driver can also recommend a tuk tuk driver and vice verse.
If you book through the hotel reception you will have to pay about 25% -50% more.
Ex. as I know of: The hotel charge you 140$ and pay the driver 100$ for the trip. The hotel charge you 65$ and give the driver 30$.

destiny
March 24th, 2013, 13:36
I don't know what kind of car that is but these prices you mention are ludicrously overpriced for REP. Maybe suitable for " we have no clue about anything" - dummy tourist from China and India.

Oh, and a TUKTUK should be no more than 15-20$ a day.

there is a gay TUKTUK driver in REP too, he even has a webiste which someone set up for him, but I forgot his details. Maybe uncle Google can help with that one.

Have to agree with Destiny as Tuk Tuks were in front of Mens-Resort and the charge was $3.00 an hour. Took a van from Poipet to Siem Reap with a stop for 2 hours at B's mother's house and the total bill was $100. They were more than happy. Sorry to intrude upon your post. Neal

Janus
March 25th, 2013, 11:02
Yes, a Tuk Tuk for a day trip to temples on the small circuit and the great circuit is about 15$.
Remember to invite your driver to have lunch with you if you eat in one of the many restaurants in the Angkor Park - he will then eat for free or have some commission in return.

If you choose a Tuk Tuk when going further away - ex: Banteay Srei, Beng Melea, Phnom Bok, Banteay Samre or to one of the floating villages at the Tonle Sap Lake you will have to pay more. Remember to agree on the price before you go.The number of persons in the Tuk Tuk can have some influence on the price.

If you book a tour through the hotel reception or an agency you will pay more than mentioned above and the driver will get less.

For trips further away - ex: Preah Vihear, Phnom Kulen, Kbal Spean, Koh Ker I would take a car. The gasoline prices in Cambodia is the highest in South East Asia so the distance you go will have a great influence on the price. Again you can save a lot by making a direct contact to the driver. It can be during your pick up from the airport.

Yes, if you stay only 3 days once in your life time you wouldn't know about the prices. That is why I try to make some points here.

:old:

Krazy4thai
March 29th, 2013, 15:46
If you're planning Phnom Kulen ( river of a thousand lingas and Kulen mountain falls) it's a longish trip and the road is dreadful, I was in a car and that was bad enough. A tuk tuk would be a nightmare I think. As far as the free meal for drivers goes, I'm not 100% sure if that would apply to a regular tuk tuk driver, I had a guide and driver, our driver ate for free, but I paid for the guide. There are many guides (both tuk tuk and car) with web pages. I went a different route tho, because in my experience in a few countries is that you don't always get what you're paying for. Most of them have glowing references from their past customers, I chose what I believed to be a safer route. I went with Purple Dragon, just me, a guide and a driver, no surprises . .From the tenor of the posts here I'm guessing the cheaper option is what's being looked for here. PD was cheaper than and more leisurely than a similar group tour would be, I'd never do a group tour. I chose my own place to stay which knocked a couple of hundred $$$ off the cost, I'm not a tout for PD, just sharing what was a fantastic experience for me considering I'll probably never have another chance to see Angkor Park and surrounds again. I met other tourists who made their plans using the web and advice from previous travelers who were very happy with their experience. Most tuk tuk drivers I observed didn't accompany their passengers into the various complexes, whether this is because they are not all government accredited , I'm cant say for sure, although my guide did indicate that was the reason.
I'm just sharing my experiences here however if I was going to give advice it would be along the lines of if you contact a guide via the web, pump him for as much information as you can so you know exactly what to expect. At first I looked at websites for tour companies and tried to plan my own itinerary using them. The only problem with that was I didn't know the logistics involved in incorporating the temples I felt I really wanted to see.
It's well worth paying a couple of $$$s extra for a car (air-con) IMHO as walking/driving around the temples is a tiring,hot experience. I would suggest trying to allow at least 3 full days to view the temples at a reasonably leisurely pace, you dont want to feel like you've been rushed through the experience.

Janus
March 30th, 2013, 12:54
The free meal goes for the Tuk Tuk driver as well. I always make sure he is eating for free everytime I have a meal. And I invite him to sit with me. That gives an opportunity to have a chat you can not have when driving. You can get to know him and the khmer way of life.

I have never had a guide on my tours. I have bought the latest guide book and try to prepare for my trip in advance. As I have made several visits now, I know where to spend most time and what to look for.

Inside the Angkor Park I always use a Tuk Tuk as I like the more natural "airconditioning" it gives you when driving. Going further away I would use the car just to save some time, but it is nice to go to the Roulous Group by Tuk Tuk.

I can fully recomend : Focusing on the Angkor Temples by Michel Petrochenko. It came on the market in 2011 and is now out in 2. edition. It is the most updated guide book you can get and it is very detailed in a way that makes you able to go on you own without missing the "must see" parts. 22USD.

If you want your tuk tuk driver to accompany you on site you just ask him to join as your guest. Then it is OK for him to go even if he is not licensed as a giude.

For a quick glance of the most important temples inside the Angkor Park 3 days is OK. I will recommend a 7 days trip to Siem Reap as it allows you go to the places further away: Kbal Spean, Beng Mealea, Bantaye Srei and one of the floating villages. You will also have time for a "look" at the night life which is not so "quiet" as you would think from only 3 nights.