PDA

View Full Version : Jomtien beach changing fast

Shuee
February 12th, 2013, 15:03
The beach is not same anymore as used to be, many sections (well in gay area near toilets & whitehouse) have lots of layback seats some upto 50% of their section now, its obviously a case of supply & demand, i see many families & breeders in gay section now & russians im assuming as they are the new fashion for the thais, but my point is why our section or is it same all over the beach now from end to end?

ainamor
February 12th, 2013, 22:16
I am sure it is pure economics.

If there was enough income from the gay community for the vendors to make a decent living they would have been happy to keep the beach area as it was. But when some farangs eke out one beer to last them all day it is understandable why the vendors look for income from a more free-spending source.

February 12th, 2013, 23:04
For what people are saying, it seems clear that there is not enough gay custom to keep Dongtan beach the way it was, not enough gay custom to keep the Soi 3 hotels the way they were, and the gay bars are having to adjust to an increasingly mixed crowd.

At the risk of inviting the usual "BT is dying" comments - it just doesn't look good, does it :dontknow:

If we put it (even partly) down to the economic situation, half the gay punters will be dead by the time it turns round - the UK at least is now in a triple-dip recession.

Neal
February 12th, 2013, 23:16
No it does not. I had a dinner meeting last night with a part owner of a gay friendly complex and were talked about it for hours. He has hopes and I (?) well let's say I think the best years of Pattaya were yesterday. His plans are for revitiltalization and my visions are that it ill be very difficult. I believe we need to adjust to the fact that the numbers while non existant for gay people is that the figures are no longer the same and bars, hotels need to adjust to the fact that area may not be "exclusively gay". Sure there will still be some that will be able to hang on while others go to a mixed crowd. There will be those that staying gay while others trnsform will be more popular now because of this. But to keep the number of bars, beach sections, and hotels etc exclusively gay will be very difficult. Numbers go down, changes must be made unfortunately. No Pats will not die but it will change with the time.

My "prediction" is that more people may find anothe locale like Siem Reap but then in 5 years it may boom same like Pats and then another 10 - 15 years be destroyed like Pats. Who knows? Nobody has a crystaal ball. Enjoy it for what it is.

TravellerDave
February 13th, 2013, 11:02
Yes I very much agree with the contributions here. During my regular visits to Pattaya I am often on the Dongtan gay beach, sometimes alone and sometimes with my boyfriend "du jour" and have seen over the years the encroachment of families, couples and even single females onto OUR beach. A few years ago if this happened the "offenders" would quickly realise their error and relocate. But of course like everyone else I realise that Pattaya is changing and there is now a huge number of Russian visitors and Asian tour parties.

Up2U
February 13th, 2013, 14:38
I live on the beach and my view is that of a full time resident. Yes, I agree those sections that one defines as the "gay" beach has incurred erosion with families and straights, but I see this as a high season phenomenon. In just a few more weeks all should return to normal. I sit near the"white house" and Samboon's and the incursion there is much less. The sections there fly the "gay" flags but many of the Russians seem clueless where they just located or don't care and it is the Thai nature that all are welcome. One of the more recent changes is the number of young gay Thais looking for farangs is diminishing. Seems like connections now are made on Grindr, Jack'd, Gay Romeo, etc. and there is no pressing need to go fishing at the beach. I must say there are a lot of rather young attractive gay Russians that sit nearby and are quite easy on the eyes. They stay to themselves, travel as groups and they sure love the earlier mentioned white lay-back chairs.

Marsilius
February 13th, 2013, 17:30
If we put it (even partly) down to the economic situation, half the gay punters will be dead by the time it turns round - the UK at least is now in a triple-dip recession.

Not so. A triple dip recession will only have occurred if the current quarter, ending on 31 March, records negative economic growth.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busin ... 89228.html (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/tripledip-recession-fears-ebb-as-activity-picks-up-in-regions-8489228.html)

February 14th, 2013, 00:00
My apologies, you're correct - I jumped the gun - the UK has only had a double-dip recession and is currently only half way to a triple-dip recession.[/b]

The great news today is that the completely politically unbiased CBI says it looks like the UK might avoid a triple-dip recession by the skin of its teeth.

When this news reaches Pattaya, I'm sure LCR will put on a buffet in the Soi, hang out the Union Jack bunting, and lead the crowds in rousing choruses of "Land of Hope and Glory", followed by "There'll Always Be an England"

Rejoice! Rejoice!

:occasion9:

Diec
February 14th, 2013, 01:46
The sections there fly the "gay" flags but many of the Russians seem clueless where they just located or don't care and it is the Thai nature that all are welcome.

What a silly thing to say that this is Thai nature that all are welcome. As a businessman, if my part of the beach is only half full, am I going to reject money because someone is not gay and wants to sit in my section? No, all will be welcome because money is the bottom line. If the beach vendors could replace us gay folk who only pay minimal at half full, with straights who fill up the entire section and pay minimal, what do people think they will do? They will say goodbye to us homosexuals and we will need to find another place on the beach to fill up.

February 14th, 2013, 02:18
You're right Diec - but isn't it strange how many people think a bar owner should be content with his bar being only 1/2 full with gay customers and will attack him if he allows/encourages str8 customers to come in and spend some money to keep the place open!

Up2U
February 14th, 2013, 07:14
The sections there fly the "gay" flags but many of the Russians seem clueless where they just located or don't care and it is the Thai nature that all are welcome.

What a silly thing to say that this is Thai nature that all are welcome. As a businessman, if my part of the beach is only half full, am I going to reject money because someone is not gay and wants to sit in my section? No, all will be welcome because money is the bottom line. If the beach vendors could replace us gay folk who only pay minimal at half full, with straights who fill up the entire section and pay minimal, what do people think they will do? They will say goodbye to us homosexuals and we will need to find another place on the beach to fill up.

Better read my post again; we are saying the same thing, never have I seen people turned away at any of the beach sections because they didn't fit in, all are welcome.

Your example using gays or straights I don't buy. Beach vendors do not perform a sexuality-preference test before assigning chairs, so gay or straight, it doesn't make a difference to them. My section (gay-owned, btw) promotes themselves as "gay" and as noted, again, all are welcome. Many gays sit in the non-gay sections. My bf and I would be just as welcome if we choose to elsewhere.

Up2U
February 14th, 2013, 07:24
You're right Diec - but isn't it strange how many people think a bar owner should be content with his bar being only 1/2 full with gay customers and will attack him if he allows/encourages str8 customers to come in and spend some money to keep the place open!

Really don't see the parallel between a public beach concession and a business that promotes itself as a "gay" bar. If the "gay" bar owner has revenue problems he needs to revisit his business plan and how he markets it (e.g., is this a "gay" bar, a "straight" bar or a "mixed" bar?).

Diec
February 14th, 2013, 10:45
If the "gay" bar owner has revenue problems he needs to revisit his business plan and how he markets it (e.g., is this a "gay" bar, a "straight" bar or a "mixed" bar?).

I agree, all gay venues should be shut off to anyone who is not gay. I wonder how people will feel when I have my restaurant opened and the sign says for straights only. I don't want any confusion as to which clientele are allowed to enter my premises. Yes, if the gay business plan does not work and I don't make money I will 'revisit' my business...then what will you do? Unfortunately, the gays in Pattaya are not enough to support the entire city so it is unfortunate that we will at sometime have to mingle with the straights as abhorrent as that sounds. I guess it called tolerance.

TravellerDave
February 14th, 2013, 12:41
When I visit the gay beach when alone I like to sit near young Thai boys. Eye candy !. There are fewer visiting for the reason already stated. I wonder if concession owners should encourage more to turn up by making no charge for their seats or even giving free food. Maybe this would generate more gay trade ?

Up2U
February 14th, 2013, 14:44
If the "gay" bar owner has revenue problems he needs to revisit his business plan and how he markets it (e.g., is this a "gay" bar, a "straight" bar or a "mixed" bar?).

I agree, all gay venues should be shut off to anyone who is not gay. I wonder how people will feel when I have my restaurant opened and the sign says for straights only. I don't want any confusion as to which clientele are allowed to enter my premises. Yes, if the gay business plan does not work and I don't make money I will 'revisit' my business...then what will you do? Unfortunately, the gays in Pattaya are not enough to support the entire city so it is unfortunate that we will at sometime have to mingle with the straights as abhorrent as that sounds. I guess it called tolerance.

I am not going to get in to a discussion of breeders and women in gay bars/sex venues because that is the direction it is headed and this has been debated thoroughly on the gay forums. What you call tolerance, I call respect. I respect the rights of breeders to have their own bar/sex venues, for lesbians to do the same, or women to have a girls night out at Chippendale's. In turn, I expect the same respect that I showed them. If there are too many gay bars competing for too few gay customers then the marketplace will decide who survives.

Up2U
February 14th, 2013, 14:47
When I visit the gay beach when alone I like to sit near young Thai boys. Eye candy !. There are fewer visiting for the reason already stated. I wonder if concession owners should encourage more to turn up by making no charge for their seats or even giving free food. Maybe this would generate more gay trade ?

You are asking concession owners to think outside the box and that's not going to happen. Even hire cute staff?....forget it.

Marsilius
February 14th, 2013, 15:22
Actually, you are incorrect in that final remark. It was noticeable that, at my last visit in January, beach concessionaire Ritt had dismissed all his long time and rather long-in-the-tooth staff - at least one of whom had been there since my first visit in 1993! - and replaced them with much younger, cuter and more flirtatious boys. The change of policy seemed to be successful, judging from the customers' reactions...

Up2U
February 14th, 2013, 16:11
Actually, you are incorrect in that final remark. It was noticeable that, at my last visit in January, beach concessionaire Ritt had dismissed all his long time and rather long-in-the-tooth staff - at least one of whom had been there since my first visit in 1993! - and replaced them with much younger, cuter and more flirtatious boys. The change of policy seemed to be successful, judging from the customers' reactions...

Good for Rit!!! I suspect the changes were dictated by reasons we are not privy to. As a gay tourist, I remember returning to Rit's section year after year after year; it was like a homecoming, everybody remembered my name and what I liked and where I liked to sit!! I think a lot of gay tourists have a comfort zone. They like to stay in the same places, visit the same bars, eat at the same restaurants, re-kindle friendships with boys from the previous trip and can be disappointed if things too much.

Neal
February 14th, 2013, 16:17

Give who free food? Cusomers?
Free chairs? And free food? And make some money how??
Giving away free chairs and then those cheap charlies who bring thier own food and sometomes thier own drinks in a cooler bag?
Giving away free food when all they make is a lousey 10%?
Without trying to talk condecending or belittling, next you might well suggest that the different bars might get more cutomers by having a free beer and booze party. Of course they will! :tongue3:

Join sawatdee-gay-thaiand.com and Happy Place in section 12. Almost 100% gay customers 4 nice cute service boys, a very thankful mama who runs to help customers herself also and free wifi. There are also sections on either side of us that are run well. You have a choice.

anonone
February 14th, 2013, 17:33
Neal ---I believe TravellerDave was suggesting the idea to give young Thai guys free chair or free food...really any type of idea to get some "eye-candy" back at the beach. I don't think he was suggesting giving falang customers some freebies....

I enjoy Jomtien beach for a couple visits during each trip. It is nice to sit in the SGT section, meet some fellow members, and catch up with Neal. Free wifi means BF will not be (too) bored.

I agree that there is less eye candy...and far less available Thai guys...at the beach then previous years.

I would suggest that if you are looking for someone during the day, it might be a good time to try out Gay Romeo. Plenty of free wifi options at the beach now and all the guys will know how to get to the beach to meet up with you, so you can meet in public/open place before committing to hotel room. Just a thought....

February 14th, 2013, 17:51
Anonone I think you're spot on there and that could be a way to safe guard the beach concessionaires future income, absolutely give free or greatly reduced seats to Thai guys - assuming they are vacant seats left every day anyway every time except at the peak of high season because as you say most areas now have wifi and most Thai guys and many farang are ALREADY using their phones to chat and arrange meet ups at the beach or more often having a quick chat and doing the "where are you sitting" thing which then gives both parties the chance to check out each other without any commitment.

I have ALWAYS wondered why the beach chair guys DIDN'T let - no not let but actually actively encourage ! local Thai guys / hustlers to come and sit on their sections, even with an unofficial nod and a wink that its only for a hour or two maybe and then rotate with other chair areas - this to me would be a win win situation for EVERYONE or have I missed something ? And I know Thais being Thais they will probably moan about lose of income ( even though half their chairs would have been empty anyway), but if thats the case I know I for one would happily pay more to subsidise the Thai guys chairs as I'd much rather be surrounded by hot Thai guys playing in the surf all day rather my kindred farang brethren !

Dodger
February 14th, 2013, 17:57
The boys I knew who used to visit the beach regulary now prefer using Gay Romeo to offer their wares which is much easier...covers a much broader scope of potential customers...with less direct contact with their arch enemy..."the sun".

Fewer boys = fewer gay customers.

The working Thai girls have never used the beach for the purpose selling themselves like the boys used to which I imagine is one reason that the decline in str8's visiting the beach is less dramatic. Gay Romeo is a gay consession owners worst nightmare which Ritt may have realized, which would explain the recent hiring of cute young boys to hold up the umbrella's.

Another interesting trend is the increase in farangs using the services of the many local internet shops, which, when you consider the dynamics involved with the way the boys are changing their methods of communication, would be perfectly understandable as well.

More boys on the computer = more customers on the computer.

It's kind of like the Arab Spring.

Neal
February 14th, 2013, 18:14
First I will say to TDave that if that is what you meant, I apologize. Not first time I dont understand what you meant although free food is still quesionable unless it is some of what they cook themselves.

Many sections try to hire cute boys and many sections try to steal away cute boys. Some sections just don't feel they can pay staff and have a reputation and the boys just stay away. Obviously you don't or shouldn't open a bar and staff it with unattractive boys. Same goes for the beach chairs as they are in a similar business.

TravellerDave
February 15th, 2013, 01:02
Neal . Yes I was suggesting that Thai boys be given free drinks and/or food, not Farangs, many of whom could benefit from a period of abstinence from calorific input. However my contribution could have been worded better - I use an IPad now and I'm finding typing on it a little tricky.
I'm looking forward to taking up my usual seat on the beach ready with the iPad and maybe Find a boyfriend via GR. I found in November that given the slow responses to text messages the best procedure was to get their phone number and sort locations etc that way.
I can't wait to feel those warm breezes after 11 weeks back here in England being alternatively frozen and then battered by wind and rain !.

Diec
February 15th, 2013, 12:11
Neal . Yes I was suggesting that Thai boys be given free drinks and/or food,

What a silly thing to say that the vendors should supply free food to the transient trade who roam the beach. Why cannot we as wealthy farang purchase food for these young men and the vendors will still make money? Cheap Charlie anyone?

anonone
February 15th, 2013, 18:15
Diec.

I don't think anyone is implying that. It was more along the idea of having a way for the owners of the beach concession to get some Thai guys to visit them on the beach, which should in turn bring in more falang business....like freelancers at a gay bar.

I have often invited friends of BF to join us on the beach...and have of course paid for drinks and food for us all. I should also tell you how much fun it is, as these friends are on the prowl for customers during these visits. Being on the "inside" as the boys discuss potential customers, egg each other on, talk about their trade....good times.

TravellerDave
February 15th, 2013, 21:00
I don't think that the free food suggestion of mine is silly. I believe that this strategy has been used by one of the most successfull new businesses in Pattaya - The beer garden near Walking Street. The boss there by the name of Pete provides free food and drink from his kitchen to freelancer girls who, appreciating this gesture, attract str high spending customers.
I visited a couple of times in November (not for the girls I haste to add) and the place was very busy.

Neal
February 15th, 2013, 21:06
The problem is that you are back to the vendors and we have no control nor are they making enough profit during most of the year to pay for so many extra mouths. On the other side you are suggesting that the customers do so many of which bring thier own food and drinks or dont buy anything at all and refuse to pay more than 500 baht for short time. I can see them buying beers and food for them. :dontknow:

Surfcrest
February 15th, 2013, 22:03

Actually, you too are incorrect. Nun cashed in his pension and is living high on the hog in his country estate, after making millions off us in tips :tongue3:
What makes you think anyone was "dismissed", and do you really think Ritt is better off?
Ask him sometime....he'll tell you!
You guys think the beach is like your fridge light, where everything is exactly the same every time you swing the door open and the light comes on again? Things change, new opportunities come and go with the boys....as does misfortune, parents get old and sick and sometimes the kids have to go home and look after them. It's the way things work here.

Surfcrest

Marsilius
February 15th, 2013, 23:02
Ritt himself told me that he had dismissed his old staff. Please double check before assuming that I did not.

rincondog
February 15th, 2013, 23:47
Most of the chair sections have added WiFi which adds to their costs. In Ritt's case some of his new boys are Burmese, not even Thai. Their Thai and English is quite poor. This idea of giving free food and drinks is ridiculous, you would have every deadbeat Thai hanging around for the free stuff even though they wouldn't be appealing to many farang. The beach is not a gogo bar.
I'm sure the investment in the new lounge chairs is also an expense that needs to be recovered as well.

loke
February 16th, 2013, 01:28
I agree completely with rincondog. Turning the beach into a gogobar is a ridicilous suggestion .

Instead we should just bring a bf . from GR or wherever you find him . Or bring all his friends. Problem solved.

Surfcrest
February 16th, 2013, 16:56
Ritt himself told me that he had dismissed his old staff. Please double check before assuming that I did not.
Are you suggesting Marsilius that Ritt dismissed all, most or some of his staff? When did Ritt tell you he did this?
To be quite honest with you, "dismissed" seems to be a very big word to be coming out of Ritt's mouth with his very limited grasp of the English language.....perhaps he related this to you in Thai.

Anyhow, there is only one on Ritt's team that had been here since 93 and that would have been Nun. Nun and I have been good friends over the years and has done a little work for me on the side. I haven't checked it out with him yet, but if you were at the beach on Friday just before sunset, you would have seen Ritt and I enjoying a beer together (a rare sight since Ritt rarely drinks anymore)...having a chat about this very topic, including the Burmese language barriers he's having with the new staff.

In the many years I've been coming and going to Jomtien, there is always change. If you are there for long enough periods of time you'll see it happening for yourself right before your eyes. Only the old cigarette lady is a near guarantee to be seen, except for the years she was in prison for knocking off her husband. Unless you have something invested in it, you can only do it for so long unless you have nothing else. There's a cute young man selling corn on the cob who looks like he's aged 20 years in the past 2 years slugging that around in the hot sun for virtually nothing.

Back in 93 it wasn't the Russians, but rather the Germans everyone was complaining about. Big old fat ones sitting in the white chairs bouncing sweet little things on their laps. Today it 's the Russians...tomorrow who knows? Maybe the newly wealthy Brazillians or the mainland Chinese? You'll wish the Russians were back after you get a load of them.

Back in 93 (before and after) Tours To Paradise were bringing groups of Americans to Thailand and many came back or settled in. If it weren't for the cheap Charlie's amongst us, that business might still be thriving today bringing a fresh influx of rice queens to Thailand....but that died out in the 90's and many of those folks are getting past their prime and don't make it to the beach so much anymore. Thoses were the days, when business at the beach was good....enough of us to keep it gay.

Back in 93 Rabbit Resort and the Sugar Palm were the only things down here, but in the 2000's all that changed. The development down here has been crazy and many, if not the vast majority buying in or even staying at these new developments are straight. I've been waiting for them to move us farther out again. We used to be much closer to the police box, almost in front of where the Sugar Palm was (not sure what that is called now). The people staying at these resorts are going to go to the beach, in front of the resorts where they are staying so it just makes sense there are going to use the beach here.

Personally I don't mind who's at the beach. As long as they financially support it so it's here when I come back next, I'm happy.

Surfcrest

Marsilius
February 16th, 2013, 18:36
I can only reiterate that Ritt himself told me that he had dismissed (he may have used another word, but it was certainly a synonym) the old staff in favour of new cuties. He told me that at some time in December 2012 when I was a daily visitor to his section of the beach.

If we have been offered different accounts, I suspect that Ritt - like many Thai people - simply tells his customers what he thinks, from the way that the conversation is going, that they expect to hear.

Surfcrest
February 16th, 2013, 19:04
I can only reiterate that Ritt himself told me that he had dismissed (he may have used another word, but it was certainly a synonym) the old staff in favour of new cuties. He told me that at some time in December 2012 when I was a daily visitor to his section of the beach.

Sorry Marsilius, I meant to ask when this happened, when he dismissed his old staff, not when he told you.
You would think a sudden staff changeover like this wouldn't go unnoticed.

Up2U
February 16th, 2013, 19:25
I don't think that the free food suggestion of mine is silly. I believe that this strategy has been used by one of the most successfull new businesses in Pattaya - The beer garden near Walking Street. The boss there by the name of Pete provides free food and drink from his kitchen to freelancer girls who, appreciating this gesture, attract str high spending customers.
I visited a couple of times in November (not for the girls I haste to add) and the place was very busy.

I give Dave credit for creative thinking but like others I don't think the idea is workable for a beach concession. The beach concessions are not like the old Howard's that invited free-lancers. The beach concessionaires seem to be flourishing as it is technically still high-season and there is no need for free food or letting free-lancers occupy needed chairs for the paying public. Perhaps, it might make sense to have a surplus of cute shirtless staff (in speedos?) and have an un-publized off fee structure (to avoid potential problems).

anonone
February 16th, 2013, 20:20
I have often wondered why no one has merged the idea of a beer bar with the beach concession. Plenty of staff "available" for companionship, buy the staff drinks, etc.

I do realize the obstacles. Guys not wanting to work during the day, wanting to stay out of the sun, plus not sure how it would be looked on by police....but in low season I could see it being possible and profitable.

Or maybe just wishful thinking on my part. :tongue3:

February 16th, 2013, 20:25
I have often wondered why no one has merged the idea of a beer bar with the beach concession. Plenty of staff "available" for companionship, buy the staff drinks, etc.

Likewise I've often wondered why no one has tried an actual "Beach bar" ( subject to getting all the necessary permissions etc of course if they were available). You know the sort thing they have in the Caribbean etc where you can sit at a nice grass roofed bar bamboo bar, watching the hotties going past all day, I personally like the beach but can get so bored lying on a sun bed all day and a nice wee beach bar would be a lovely place to relax to for a beer and a chat with some nice guys- and we can implement your staff drinks idea there too then ! :-) There you go Mark, you were saying you were looking for something to do - Pattaya's first gay beach bar !!! :-)

or maybe just wishful thinking on my part. :tongue3:
Alas I fear the same on my part :-(

anonone
February 16th, 2013, 20:46
Yes, like they have at koh samet.. Also, could you imagine the fun if we opened up a disco on the beach like Silver Sand?

:party

TravellerDave
February 17th, 2013, 01:56
I note that most of the concessions at Dongtan have wireless. I now have an IPad and will be taking it to Pattaya to use. I know the procedure in hotels - sometimes it's free and sometimes there is a charge. You are issued with a password.
What happens at the beach ? On finding a chair do you ask one of the boys for the pw or do you go to the cashiers table to obtain it ?. Presumably I will be able to identify which wifi signal corresponds to my section.

Marsilius
February 17th, 2013, 02:21
On Ritt's section, you let them know you have an iPad or whatever it is and they will take your device and plumb in the necessary details for you.

After a month in the chairs and having had several Internet crashes (apparently caused by too many customers trying to log on at once), Ritt finally entrusted me with the username/password combination as if it were a state secret!

February 17th, 2013, 03:03
I note that most of the concessions at Dongtan have wireless. On finding a chair do you ask one of the boys for the pw or do you go to the cashiers table to obtain it ?.

Either is fine Dave - works just like a hotel, when you search for a wifi signal they'll ususally tell you the wifi signal name to look for ( Ritts beach wifi etc) and then they'll give you their password to enter, personally I just hand my phone to the boy and let him work away as they can usually fire through most phones setting far faster than I can away and it saves them going and writing down the password for me.

Neal
February 17th, 2013, 03:14
At the section that is sponsored by Happy Place and Sawatdee-Gay-Thailand.com just ask them for the wifi card and they will gladly give you the paper with the password on it. The username is: section12

February 17th, 2013, 04:21
And the password is SO original, you'd never guess it in a hundred years, right Neal :-)

joe552
February 17th, 2013, 04:41
now that's very unfair NIrish - you're leaving Neal open to all sorts of comments there. I was tempted to suggest a few passwords, but will restrain myself. maybe others aren't so caring though.

February 17th, 2013, 07:06
Is it a 5 letter word starting with "W" and ending in "E"?

:sign5:

Up2U
February 17th, 2013, 08:26
On Ritt's section, you let them know you have an iPad or whatever it is and they will take your device and plumb in the necessary details for you.

After a month in the chairs and having had several Internet crashes (apparently caused by too many customers trying to log on at once), Ritt finally entrusted me with the username/password combination as if it were a state secret!
Yep, the pw is not usually not given out but entered by staff. They don't want people sitting at adjacent sections to use the service.

Neal
February 17th, 2013, 08:31
In Sawatdee-gay-thailand.com and Happy Place section 12 we just change the password every two months or whenever.

Surfcrest
February 27th, 2013, 17:50
The beach is not same anymore as used to be, many sections (well in gay area near toilets & whitehouse) have lots of layback seats some upto 50% of their section now, its obviously a case of supply & demand, i see many families & breeders in gay section now & russians im assuming as they are the new fashion for the thais, but my point is why our section or is it same all over the beach now from end to end?
I'm not so sure the plastic layback chairs are all that new, but relatively over the last few years. For some, this change is an improvement as it allows you the opportunity to tan your backside without removing the chair and putting something down on the ground to lay on. For some, with size or mobility issues, the old wooden fold up chairs were problematic and in past the chair vendors weren't always allowed to bring in a different chair type for these folks and essentially excluding them from enjoying the beach. The only nuisance I find with them is not knowing where my chair section is by color when I'm out there swimming the length of the bouyes.

Probably the biggest thing I've seen over the past few years impactng the future of the beach is the weather. Not all that long ago you could depend on clear warm weather during high season, between say the beginning of November to the end of March. I've found since about 2010 or the last La Ni├▒a we've been getting rain or unpredictable weather when we usually shouldn't. This has lead to an increase in mosquitos, especially at night or in the shade or anywhere near wetlands. I find them especially bad on the Walking Street at night and in the Jomtien Complex area. This week, for the very first time ever I witnessed sand fleas at the beach. Thailand is just too hot to wear a layer of bug repellant and not be terribly uncomfortable with your skin being unable to breathe or release body heat.

The next big problem is the pollution at the beach and especially in the water. Tuesday of this week was especially bad, making the water feel as though one was swimming in a toilet or a urinal. I'm sure it doesn't help that many won't shell out a measily 5 baht to use the toilets opting for the sea instead. On many occasions there are people that don't even pretend they aren't peeing and just whip it out and go with their dick hanging out above the water surface. I see one fellow just standing up to his knees in water and peeing through his bathing trunks or sitting on the shore and just going. This is not only going to increase the bug infestation but also attract rats and the unsanitary conditions that come with having them around.

As usual, the amount of plastic and garbage on the beach is a big concern, both to the image of Dong Tan from a tourism perspective but to the birds and marine life in the Gulf of Thailand and beyond. There are many chair vendors that don't even put trash pails out leaving tourists, especially the oblivious ones little option but to add to the already big problem.

One thing that I personally don't like are the recreational vehicles around the beach area. If you've ever swam near the bouyes or near the jet skis you've probably had a mouthful of gasoline residue. With so many Thais carving out a living from the beach business, it saddens me that the water is being spoiled for the benefit of the few that operate or rent out jet skis. I think that in a time when gasoline prices are dangerously high for the people that rely on fossil fuel to move goods and people by necessity, that competition for fuel shouldn't include businesses that are essentially wasting it for the sake of recreation.

It has already been mentioned that many Thaiboys, that used to make the beach more interesting by their presence aren't down there so much, opting to stay out of the sun and heat by being online instead. Essentially then, with the exception of the great service we enjoy down there, there isn't going to much to draw people to the beach moving forward into the coming years. The outlook appears bleak...and again we've already covered the invasion of the straight people and families down there and the Russians that some take exception to.

Are there solutions to these challenges threatening the future of the gay beach or indeed Jomtien beach as a whole? Absolutely. Will local government be proactive and address the problems before we see a significant decline in number of us enjoying the beach and the magic that it once was, not all that long ago? I wouldn't bet on it, considering the other problems affecting Pattaya as a whole (traffic for one).

Surfcrest

Surfcrest
February 27th, 2013, 18:14
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MN8JYhByVYg

sclivejames
February 27th, 2013, 19:25
Interesting comment re the Thai boys not choosing to be at the beach.
I asked a GR boy about this today and he commented that there were" less gay farangs and it's too hot".

MiniMee
February 27th, 2013, 19:49
I asked a GR boy about this today and he commented that there were" less gay farangs and it's too hot".

Tut, tut - when will those beach boys learn to speak English properly? I suppose he meant to say there were "fewer gay farangs and it's too hot" - didn't he, sclivejames?

sclivejames
February 27th, 2013, 19:53
Yes he did MiniMee LOL thankyou for correcting that lol :violent1:

Surfcrest
February 28th, 2013, 06:12
Interesting comment re the Thai boys not choosing to be at the beach.

Actually, these last few weeks it has been quite busy and there were lots of gay farangs but again (not to beat a dead horse) they all seemed more into each other than any of the Thai Boys. This week there hasn't been too many Russians in the Section, as compared to last week. Interesting that we are only into February and already it is too hot.
Wednesday, with the wind....it was as though we had a thai-phoon :)

Surfcrest

latintopxxx
March 4th, 2013, 23:40
...funny...I have no problem picking up good commercial sex off the beach....I can pick and choose...

be true
April 3rd, 2013, 12:55
Sorry my friend, things changes. Nothing stays the same. You have to live with it whether you like it or not.