PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened to Silom store renovations

adman5000
February 10th, 2013, 08:44
When I was in Silom last year 2011, many buildings were being renovated and many changing.

Has anything gone in where Robinson's Department store was?
Is the McDonalds still there?
Was the shopping center at Saladaeng BTS reopened and is Central still there or has it all changed?
Is California WOW Fitness near Soi Convent still open?

Have there been any other major changes in that area?

Jellybean
February 10th, 2013, 14:33
I could understand the question, тАЬWhatever happened to Baby Jane?тАЭ on a gay message board, but тАЬWhatever happened to Silom store renovations?тАЭ ??? Are you sure you are a friend of DorothyтАЩs adman5000? : )

As it happens I can help you with one part of your question, which I did happen to mention on one of my posts. dt├вng-jai ├а-naa-k├│t khun adman5000 (pay attention in future!) : )

The shopping mall by BTS Sala Daeng, Silom Complex, has been beautifully renovated and, in my opinion, looks fantastic. The Central Department Store also looks great and looks infinitely better than before. There is still a TOPS Supermarket on the ground floor, which I use for purchasing everyday items when I am living at my condo. My only disappointment was that the Thai cafeteria style food units on the top floor, which was a great place to obtain cheap and tasty Thai food, with no frills, were no longer there when I visited in early January 2013. The escalator to the top floor was roped off, so whether they have been added since I canтАЩt say. The units were very popular with khon thai and fa-r├аng alike.

Sorry canтАЩt help as regards Robinsons Department Store and California WOW Fitness Centre.

PS Now were you last there in 2011 or 2012 thatтАЩs the question I would like answered. : )

gregvc
February 10th, 2013, 18:47
there are only a few WOW left after they went bankrupt. Silom has been closed for a few months.

adman5000
February 10th, 2013, 19:56
Thanks.
McD's and status of Robinson's is still an open question for anyone to comment.

Mr. Bean- I was last in BKK Dec 2011-Jan 2012 but was unable to visit this season (and missing it terribly). Thank you for the info. :salute:

February 10th, 2013, 21:27
@ adman5000 - lol I gotta ask - so is seeing if McDonalds is still open due to McDonalds being a big part of your usual trip or is your interest in it's current existence purely a passing interest just perhaps as it seems such a random thing to enquire about when the city is coming down with western burger joints :-)

adman5000
February 11th, 2013, 07:36
NIrish Guy- I NEVER go to McDonalds in the states and I RARELY go there in BKK.(If I do is is mostly for the fries.) But I have this vague recollection of it closing when I was last in BKK and not much interesting in the adjacent store. So I wondered what happened to the whole things as they were kind of joined as I recall.

But maybe we can talk Neal into starting a whole thread on favorite restaurants in BKK!

Neal
February 11th, 2013, 08:28
:sign5: What? Yer fingers broken there? :sign5:

adman5000
February 11th, 2013, 08:57
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... t7mOdzGbxQ (https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSeUXlot_s_CUxl_u_S0d-lC375HNofQNDdAb5TCJ9Kt7mOdzGbxQ)
Not broken, just fat. :sumo:

I thought you said you were planning a trip to BKK so it would be ideal to start a discussion on new or favorite restaurants! Of course, anytime is good to start such a discussion.

Neal
February 11th, 2013, 09:35
Hmmm! When did I say I was going to BKK? Shit my mind must really really be going. When I go to BKK as my walking is only one soi I usually only eat at the Shangri-la Hotel as most members know. The Thai restaurant there is one of the best and since I do not know genuine Thai, I assume it is a falang Thai restaurant. By saying falang Thai I mean have you ever gone to some Thai restaurants with your b/f and really liked the food and your b/f tries to hide his disappointent but says it is a falang thai restaurant. That means it is thai for us. Not really the way they would cook it and they really don't like it. I really enjoy the buffets at the Shangri la and not so that I can gorge myself as some of the more rude people would say but to try many different wonderful new things. That's why I love buffets. Oh and the Shang Palace also in the hotel has the most wonderful Chinese foods along with Peking and Hong Kong style duck. I asked them one time if they served a lot of them and she said it was thier specialty seving about 40 a night! I have not yet tried Angelini which is the hotel's Italian restaurant. Nope, you need to start this thread yourself cause when I go to BKK there is no reason for me to eat anywhere else. Beautiful rooms, pool, food and outstanding service. We only leave at night time to get a few boys! Oh and yes, you can bring them back to the hotel as long as they don't look like you scraped them off the sidewalk and there is no joiners fee but the rates can be steep for some strting at about 5,000 baht per night.

Jellybean
February 11th, 2013, 09:51
adman5000 if you cannot find an alternative to California WOW Fitness Centre in the Silom area and you are prepared to travel one stop on the Sky Train to BTS Chong Nonsi, please PM me and IтАЩll pass on the details of the commercial gym in my apartment building. They say itтАЩs the best in Bangkok and it is, I am sorry to say, a little bit expensive.

And hey! No need for the formality of тАЬMrтАЭ we are all friends here, just call me Jelly! : )

Up2U
February 11th, 2013, 11:10
Thanks.
McD's and status of Robinson's is still an open question for anyone to comment.

Mr. Bean- I was last in BKK Dec 2011-Jan 2012 but was unable to visit this season (and missing it terribly). Thank you for the info. :salute:
McDonald's is open 24/7. Robinson's is closed with no published plans for that location.

Zyxel-old
February 11th, 2013, 11:22
Crush Fitness has replaced California Wow Silom. Only 2 floors, completely renovated, and all the good machines, dumbbells etc from California gym are there. Steam and sauna still not switch on but operational. Not many people yet but the number is growing slowly with quite few ex California members and some trainers working freelance. The entrance is now inside the building, there is a bank where California had its entrance. 1700Baht/month I think.

Mancs
February 13th, 2013, 04:33
For anyone who misses the cheap foodcourt on the top floor of the old Silom Centre:here's an alternative-turn right as you leave the front entrance of the new Centre, take the first soi on the right (Soi Sala Daeng), walk 5 minutes until you come to a covered market on your left. The foodcourt there is jammed from midday onwards on weekdays-a good plate of food can be had from 30 baht. Large shared metal tables mean that you can chat to local office workers. For a cheap laundry service in the same area try Dad Laundry-keep walking past the foodcourt, turn left on to Soi Sala Daeng 1-the laundry is near the junction with Rama IV. It moved to this new location in February 2013. Only 30 baht per kilo wash, dry, fold; ready in 24 hours. They told me that ironing takes 3 days so I didn't bother with that.