PDA

View Full Version : Getting a Thai Driving License

Jellybean
February 8th, 2013, 14:59
About 3 or 4 years ago I thought it was about time I got myself a Thai driving license (bai-k├аp-k├мi thai). All the expats and semi-expats I knew at the time said it was a simple procedure and I had nothing to worry about. I would also save myself having to remember to go to a Post Office in the UK and buy an International Driving Permit (bai-k├аp-k├мi s─Гa-gon) every year.

Coincidentally I had one of the waiters from Hot Male Bar in Bangkok spending a long weekend with me in Hua Hin and he agreed to accompany me to a hospital where I needed to obtain a Thai medical certificate as a precursor to getting the license.

So the first stage was to see a doctor, but before I could see the doctor the nurse told me I had to be able to read a series of numbers on a set of cards. She then brought a ring binder with several laminated cards, on which was a set of coloured circles made up of small coloured dots. I was then asked to say what number I saw. Crikey, in most cases I couldnтАЩt see any numbers at all! I asked my waiter friend if he saw any numbers. The nurse interjected and said I couldnтАЩt get any help. I said I wasnтАЩt asking for help, I just wanted to know if he saw a number. Yes, he could see a number. I gave up, okay what is the number? My friend and the nurse said тАЬ16тАЭ. Damn I still couldnтАЩt see any number! We went through a whole series of numbers and in almost every case I couldnтАЩt see a number. I had failed and therefore I could not see the doctor. What? CanтАЩt I just pay whatever and get the certificate? тАЬNo, I couldnтАЩtтАЭ the nurse probably said, and quite emphatically if I remember correctly! Damn!

We tried another hospital and, sadly, the same result, so much for being told it was a simple procedure, I never even got to first base! I never tried again, until recently.

I was reading a topic on another board (I know, such heresy!) : ) on the subject of getting a Thai driving license. Two things surprised me. It was said that an International Driving Permit (IDP) is only valid for up to 90 days. Well, if that indeed is the case, then IтАЩve flouted that rule/law many times. It was also said that my insurance may not be effective after the 90 day period if I still have an IDP and no Thai driving license. Of course none of this is of any consequence as long as you donтАЩt have an accident, but have an accident and the police get involved then, presumably, everything changes. I donтАЩt know if any of this is true, but it disturbed me and prompted me to have another attempt at getting a Thai driving license.

FIRST STAGE

I visited the Bangkok Hospital in Hua Hin, it is a relatively new hospital and it was the first time I had visited it. Hmm . . . very plush I thought, so much nicer than any hospital IтАЩve visited in the UK.

Shortly after arriving I was called by the nurse, I felt certain degree of trepidation; would I get to first base this time? My weight and height were measured and my blood pressure and temperature taken. Hooray no colour test!

After waiting just over an hour I was seen by a doctor, who seemed very interested in my previous illness and its side effects. He listened to my chest and back then he said he wasnтАЩt sure if I could drive in Thailand with one eye. My hopes sank . . . oh, no! Actually, I have two eyes, but one is next to useless, it has a cataract and the muscle is scarred following radiotherapy and, over the years, it has gradually lost most of its movement. The doctor said he would have to consult his manager. I was asked to wait.

The doctor returned and told me to go to the nursesтАЩ station. I duly turned up as requested and the nurse told me to follow her to the cashiers where I was asked to pay 300 baht. Had I been given a medical certificate? Yes, I had, no problem the nurse said . . . hooray, IтАЩd reached first base!

My certificate said the following, тАЬThis patient is physically and mentally free from defect and does not appear to have symptoms of drug and alcohol addiction.тАЭ Hmm . . . all very reassuring!

STAGE TWO

The next stage was to visit the Immigration Office (or dtaw maw in Thai for short) and obtain a Certificate of Residence. I looked up the Immigration DepartmentтАЩs website and noted I needed to complete form TM.18, which I did and printed it off. I found that I had received a Certificate of Residence several years ago, but the requirement is that it must not be more than 3 months old, so I took it with me thinking it might speed things up. I also took 2 photos, copies of the main page of my passport, my departure card and recent visa pages. I also took a recent electricity bill with my address on it.

Oh, such good luck, only two people ahead of me! I was called within 15 minutes, but was then told I was in the wrong room, Certificates of Residence and 90 day notifications are now dealt with in another room. Drat! Nothing ever remains the same for long in immigration matters! Good, no other applicant was in the other room. Ah, I had completed the wrong form, they had their own local version, which I was given and told to go outside, where a very helpful lady helped me to quickly complete it. I had to say where I was to have the test, тАЬPetchaburri or PranburiтАЭ she asked. тАЬPranburiтАЭ I said. тАЬFor a car or a motor bike?тАЭ she asked. тАЬCar,тАЭ I said. тАЬ500 BahtтАЭ she said! Crikey, I thought the Internet had said it would cost 300 Baht, ah well, no matter!

I handed in all my documents. They wanted only 1 photo not 2 and within 5-10 minutes I was given my Certificate of Residence. So all done within 30 minutes. Thank God I wasnтАЩt doing this at the Bangkok office I thought, it probably would have taken me 2-3 hours!

STAGE THREE

On the other board it was recommended that you take a Thai person with you to the Transport Office. I therefore popped into the office of the Thai lady who helps me renew my road tax and car insurance. Yes, they also assist foreigners to obtain a Thai driving license. She checked my papers and confirmed that everything was in order. She then asked me to be at her office at 8.00am the following morning. Good Lord, a bit early I thought. : ( She said we needed to be at the Transport Office by 9.00am. Then she crushed my hopes by saying I would be given the colour test at the Transport Office . . . oh no, I hadnтАЩt escaped the colour test after all! Suddenly I felt sick in the stomach, so near, yet so far I thought.

STAGE FOUR

I turned up at 8.00am, rather bleary eyed and feeling terribly anxious. My car agent told me not to worry, I would not be shown any cards, what I would be asked is to say whether the lights I saw were either red, green or yellow. Oh, that sounded easy!

When we arrived at the Transport Office I was so glad I had the Thai lady with me, all the signage was in Thai and I would have had no idea where to go. Upstairs there were around 20 people, mainly Thai, but some foreigners waiting to be tested.

I was about last in line. My Thai agent explained what was required, good Lord, I felt as nervous as the 17 year boy I was when I first took my driving test in the UK.

The four tests took place in quite a small room with one lady conducting all four tests. Everyone remained present as each person was called to take each test . . . adding to my pressure!

First Test

I was required to sit at a machine with my chin placed on a small bar. I was told not to move and to say out loud what colours I saw to the left and to the right. Oh my God, I was now sweating profusely; I couldnтАЩt see the colours without moving my head. I see very little in my left eye. I kept failing this test. My Thai agent intervened to explain about my eye problem. I could feel everyoneтАЩs eyes on me! I was allowed to pull away from the small bar and was then able to see the colours. Great . . . I passed this test! In real life situations I have found that I move my head from side to side whereas previously I would probably have just flicked my eyes from side to side.

Second Test

I had to stand 6-8 feet away from a small set of traffic lights and when each light changed (not in the same position as real lights) I was to say which colour I saw. Oh my God, yet again I was having difficulty. I heard my agent say тАЬjai yen-yen!тАЭ (Calm down!). My agent again talked to the tester and she asked me to take my spectacles off and cover my bad eye with my hand. Success! I then identified all the colours without problem.

Third Test

I had to sit at a table with two pedals at my foot, an accelerator and a brake. I was to put my foot on the accelerator and quickly press the brake before the red light appeared. After one false start I passed this test. I wasnтАЩt heavy enough on the brake.

Fourth and Final Test

Still sitting at the table, I had a control box with two buttons in front of me. When ordered to do so I was to press the buttons to align two coloured rods in a box 6 to 8 feet away from me. I passed this test.

AllтАЩs well that ends well . . .

At last we were all done and we all trooped out of the small, now oppressively hot, room to pay 205 Baht at the cashierтАЩs office. I then had my photo taken and within 5-10 minutes was given my first Thai driving license. What an ordeal! For some reason I am unaware of, the license lasts for only 1 year. I will have to return in 12 months to apply for a 5 year license. Please someone reassure me that I donтАЩt have to go through all those tests again! :(

Lastly, my Thai agent said if I didnтАЩt have an International Driving Permit things would have been infinitely worse. Apparently I would have had to go through a 3 hour test in the morning followed by another 2-3 hour test in the afternoon! Honestly I donтАЩt think my poor constitution could have endured such a day!

tobias-old
February 8th, 2013, 17:21
Sounds like abit of a ordeal.

Not sure about the UK ones but the ones issued in Australia for international drivers permit are valid for 12 months.

February 9th, 2013, 06:48
Let me get this right.

You want to drive in Thailand which from my observations is among the worst countries in the region India is worse where you have to have your wits about you at all times with one bung eye?

adman5000
February 9th, 2013, 09:42
Crikey Jellybean (MR. BEAN)- can you tell us the make and color of the car you drive so we know to beware?

Let's see:
driving with ineffective insurance
FAILED first test but with intervention of your thai agent and allowed to move your head side to side to see and passed
FAILED second test but with intervention of your thai agent and allowed to remove glasses and cover one eye and passed
FAILED the brake test one first try but passed after allowed to try again
PASSED using two buttons to get your rod in a box 6 feet away (sounds like you should get a Guinness World Record for that one as I can't get my rod in the urinal at that distance)

So I guess if we see a car with Hua Hin plates, with a thai lady, and a guy with his head moving from side to side, with no glasses, one of his eyes covered, only braking every other time, with a 6 foot rod, we'll know it is you. :glasses7:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... bvHSup205C (https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRKqqxBVud_Ls6F5n8KsHhr8iO8h07fP 7a9CHrZxpbvHSup205C)

2lz2p
February 9th, 2013, 10:42
Interesting post Jellybean. For those in Pattaya, a description of the process at Banglamung Land Transport Office is on the Pattaya City Expats Club website - http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/expats/docs/What%20to%20Expect.pdf. They also show the following information regarding getting a Thai driving license:

To legally drive in Thailand you are required to have a driving license - either from your own country or from Thailand that authorizes you to drive the type of vehicle you are operating. If you are using the driving license from your own country, you are required to also have an International Driving Permit. It is also our understanding that if you are in Thailand for more than 90 days, you are required to have a Thai driving license.
Thailand has many laws that are either selectively enforced or seldom enforced. Consequently, you may hear or read statements by foreigners that they have driven in Thailand without having an IDP or have been in Thailand longer than 90 days and used an IDP with no problems. This may well be correct, but, be warned, if you do not meet the requirements, you could be fined if stopped by Thai Police and they decide to enforce these requirements. Also, in event of an accident, a Thai insurance company could use a violation of these requirements as a reason to deny a claim under their policy.
Emphasis added

IDP's are valid for 12 months; however if you are in Thailand for more than 90 days, I have been told, you are considered living here and are required to have a Thai driving license. Apparently, if you leave before 90 days and return, the IDP is still valid to drive until you are continually in Thailand for more than 90 days.

Their website also states:
Your first Thai driving license will be good for one year from the date of issue. Upon expiration of the one year license, you can apply for a five year license. The one year license is considered a "temporary" license - when I obtained mine about 10 years ago, I was told by other Expats that they would issue the 5 year license only after the 1 year license expired - you still hear that, but the Land Transport Office website now states you can get the 5 year license up to 2 months before the 1 year license expires, but local offices have a habit of making their own rules - a friend was recently told at the Banglamung office that he could only apply for the 5 year license 1 month before the 1 year license expired.

Also, I don't know about your local office, but at the Banglamung office, you have to take the physical tests (vision/reaction) each time you renew - for the first 5 year license, you still have to have a medical certificate; but not for renewal of the 5 year license - the PCEC website also has a check list for documents needed at the Banglamung Land Transport Office for each license - http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/expats/docs/thai%20license%20Checklist.pdf. Also, in Banglamung, the color blindness test is colored circles of varying sizes - the examiner points to a circle and you have to call out the color (yes, same same in that you do the test while everyone else taking the tests are watching).

Jellybean
February 9th, 2013, 12:51
Not sure about the UK ones but the ones issued in Australia for international drivers permit are valid for 12 months.

In reply to your post tobias, I can confirm that International Driving Permits (IDP) issued in the United Kingdom are also valid for 12 months. But the point I was trying to make, based on what I had read on another board, is that, apparently, they may only be valid for up to 90 days at a time in Thailand.

In order to give a more substantive reply for the benefit of members I think I had better give due credit to the original source material. I read the topic тАЬHow to get a Thai DriverтАЩs LicenseтАЭ, made by Happy Boy, on gaybuttonthai.com. In reply 2lz2P created a link to Pattaya City Expats Club and I quote the most relevant part of their advice:

тАЬLiving in Thailand тАУ Vehicles
Thai Driving License

тАЬ . . . Thailand has many laws that are selectively enforced or seldom enforced. Consequently you may hear or read statements by foreigners that they have driven in Thailand without having an IDP or have been in Thailand longer than 90 days and used an IDP with no problems. This may well be correct, but be warned if you do not meet the requirements, you could be fined if stopped by the Thai Police and they decide to enforce these requirements. Also in the event of an accident, a Thai insurance company could use a violation of these requirements as a reason to deny a claim under their policy.тАЭ

So after reading the above I thought it prudent to have another go at getting a Thai DriverтАЩs License, better safe than sorry, as they say!

You want to drive in Thailand which from my observations is among the worst countries in the region India is worse where you have to have your wits about you at all times with one bung eye?

BrisbaneGuy itтАЩs not a case of тАЬyou want to drive . . .тАЭ, I HAVE been driving in Thailand for 7 years now and without incident and I have a тАШcleanтАЩ UK Driving License. And I think I still have my wits about me. : )

But you are right, I find that you definitely need a higher degree of awareness on Thai roads than would be necessary on, for example, UK roads and, from a very early stage, IтАЩve got used to expecting the craziest things to happen. For example, like someone overtaking me when I have stopped at a junction on a main road and have indicated that I am intending to turn right!!!!!!

And I believe I am a far better driver than many of my fellow motorists, many of whom I consider to be absolutely crazy, dangerous and, at times, downright reckless.

I hadnтАЩt heard the expression тАЬbung eyeтАЭ before and had to look it up. I do however still have one good eye, which is perfectly acceptable and legal for driving in the United Kingdom and, apparently, Thailand. : )

Let's see:
driving with ineffective insurance
FAILED first test but with intervention of your thai agent and allowed to move your head side to side to see and passed
FAILED second test but with intervention of your thai agent and allowed to remove glasses and cover one eye and passed
FAILED the brake test one first try but passed after allowed to try again
PASSED using two buttons to get your rod in a box 6 feet away (sounds like you should get a Guinness World Record for that one as I can't get my rod in the urinal at that distance)

So I guess if we see a car with Hua Hin plates, with a thai lady, and a guy with his head moving from side to side, with no glasses, one of his eyes covered, only braking every other time, with a 6 foot rod, we'll know it is you.

Now adman5000 you are wrong on, let me see . . . ah yes, one point, I have effective car insurance because my 90 day period does not expire until 13 March 2013 and now that I have a temporary 1 year license I am covered insurance wise. With regard to all the rest, what can I say, yes be afraid, be very afraid!!! : )

But, hey! I wasnтАЩt the only one to make mistakes and get things wrong, almost everyone else made mistakes. I just got really stressed with everyone looking at me. Well, thatтАЩs my excuse and IтАЩm sticking to it. Now can anyone tell me how I get to Pattaya? : )

PS I liked the photo, but isnтАЩt there a rule about posting photos of members without permission? : )

Thank you 2lz2P for the additional information, which is much appreciated. As you see from above I have credited you as the source for persuading me to apply for the license in the first place.

Crikey! So I have to go through all those tests again next year. Ah well, at least I know what is expected of me next time and IтАЩm 100% sure, no doubts whatsoever, that IтАЩll pass every test first time!
:sign5:

rifraf
February 10th, 2013, 10:38
Jellybean, I think you are a courageous man with a very good sense of humour. Congrats on getting your very handy Thai driving licence. I wish you continued safe and happy driving on the crowded and often confusing streets of Thailand.

February 10th, 2013, 16:51
Footage of Jellybean driving around town can be viewed here:

[youtube:1bgijs6e]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8GTHXTEvIc[/youtube:1bgijs6e]

Khor tose
February 10th, 2013, 18:21
I don't see any thing wrong with being color blind in Thailand as no one pays any attention to what color the signal lights are in the first place. Having only one good eye that can focus on the road will put him way ahead of the Thai driver talking on his phone. Hell, in normal Thai traffic---especially in Bangkok---even Stevie Wonder could drive as all you have to do is creep behind the car in front of you.

Neal
February 10th, 2013, 18:26
Well I think I have it made driving in Thailand. Growing up in New York when I get behind the wheel I can damn sure show them how "chicken" is played! :sign5:
I usually win with no problem and leave them wondering how the hell did he do that?! But what really scares me are the falang, especially the Middle Eastern who when looking at the Thais say' Oh heck. I can do that!"

February 10th, 2013, 19:11
Reading about what you have to go through to get your licence there ( and I understand from the above that without the international licence there are many more hours more of testing to do as well) it does beggar the question then as to how after all that teaching and testing that Thai's are such lousy drivers and for a Country who pride themselves on their respect for others and on the whole non confrontation thing how they then turn into crazy aggressive drivers once behind the wheel - or am I mistaking the craziness for just the whole buddhist well if today is my day to die so be it perhaps ??

And Neal out of interest have you ever visited KL ? If so they make Thai's look like saints when driving, they literally would run you over if you try to play chicken with them ( as I nearly found out to my cost several times when there ! )

Have to say I was surprised at the colour test as this isn't something that's done in the UK ( to be best of my knowledge) as if they used that test with the small coloured circles where you have to define the number ( the Isahara test I believe it's called) I would have failed it miserably ( and have done on several occasions - but that doesn't denote colour blindness ( as I'm assuming they are checking for re traffic signal identification etc) but merely colour deficiencies, but that doesn't mean one can't distinguish between red and green signals so I don't quite see the point in using that particular test for driving test purposes ???

February 10th, 2013, 23:49
Well the (immediately) above posters are obviously right!

Never mind Thailand - what the whole world needs to make the roads safer is more one-eyed, colour-blind drivers, not fewer.

If we threw in a few million one-armed amputees who can't steer the car properly and a few million dwarves whose feet can't reach the fucking pedals, the death rate would no doubt be cut in half.

I despair!