PDA

View Full Version : Boyztown parties

Oliver
February 2nd, 2013, 10:02
When one bar puts on a street party, as Oscar's did last night, it seems reasonable to me that it should have some regard for the guests of the four hotels in the soi and for those who'd prefer a quieter drink or chat in the bars.
Why the sound system had to be played at such a deafening level is beyond my comprehension; had the volume been reduced by fifty per cent, I'm sure those enjoying the party would still have had a good time.
And those of us who prefer to sleep before 03.00 would have had a fighting chance to do so.

February 2nd, 2013, 10:29
I guess it's an Asian thing. By not complaining about such parties, you retain the right to have your own party in future as loud and as late as your neighbors did. Maybe Asian ear drums have a much higher tolerance for abuse.

I once lived in a very тАЬlocalтАЭ area of Saigon and had to put up with VERY loud Vietnamese opera music till 2:00am one night. CouldnтАЩt complain because it was emanating from a funeral, where it was thought to keep the minds of the family members from dwelling too much on their loss.

Just part of the price we pay for proximity to attractive partners here in Asia.

arsenal
February 2nd, 2013, 11:26
Perhaps don't book a hotel room right in the middle of an entertainment area. Just an idea.

Oliver
February 2nd, 2013, 12:24
That's not good enough; I've been staying here off and on for sixteen years and am well used to the noise from bars.
A street party that lasts until 03.00 with a sound system that loud is entirely different.
All that is required a little consideration for others.

a447
February 2nd, 2013, 14:29
Oliver,maybe you would have had some success if you had asked the manager of your hotel to say something.

Just a thought.

Neal
February 2nd, 2013, 19:26
You should have said something but I know for a fact that the managers read andd talk about what is said on this frum on a daily basis so conider it mentioned.

Oliver
February 7th, 2013, 10:45
The third street party in Boyztown in a month; yet another occasion when we loyal denizens of the soi, in our four hotels, suffered astounding levels of noise way beyond the usual bar music.
I don't recall being asked for permission for those huge loudspeakers to be placed near where I sleep. Had I been so, I'd have requested that the party be held either inside what must be the biggest venue in the soi, or in the birthday boy's home. I wonder what his neighbours would think of it there.

I have spent more money than I care to recall at Cockpit in the 90s, Throb in the early years of this century and now Copa. The bars have given me much pleasure. However, this lack of consideration for the very people who are keeping a struggling Boyztown going, this lack of understanding or even interest in what we want, is beyond what is acceptable. If you must have a party (and some of us manage to enjoy a quiet birthday dinner with our boyfriend more than the thumping of huge loudspeakers), then you keep it within your own property. No one has the right to impose his entertainment on the rest of us.

February 7th, 2013, 11:17
I do wish some of the bar owners/managers would post a reason or justification for this lack of consideration, but I'm not holding my breath in anticipation. As I said above, this appears to be an Asian thing, but even in Asia it is inexcusable when most of the hotel guests are farang.

I wouldn't count on much consideration during this coming weekend, when Chinese New Year will be celebrated.

stkyricesf
February 8th, 2013, 00:24
Just a thought, but it could be that the business association for the soi is attempting to revitalize the street again. Heaven know's it no longer has the business of the past. I can't believe the rest of the businesses on the soi were not aware of the parties. With the taking down and replacement of the boystown sign, the removal of the old lights, it appears maybe that is the direction the soi is attempting. If it saves the soi, I'm all for it. Maybe when checking in, clients/customer's who want more quiet, could request room's more to the back. I say this with all due respect. :party

colmx
February 8th, 2013, 02:09
That's not good enough; I've been staying here off and on for sixteen years and am well used to the noise from bars.

It seems that you forgot how to enjoy yourself somewhere over those 16 years!

You are staying in an entertainment district... so you should expect noise from those entertainment venues
Did you ever hear of "If you can't beat them join them"?

Boystown venues seem to have been suffering, so isn't it good to see some life back in the street?

Instead all we hear is from moany codgers like you :violent1:

joe552
February 8th, 2013, 02:49
Have to agree with colmx on this one. Boyztown is depressing during the day, but way too noisy at night for me to want to stay there. I like to sleep at night so choose to stay in a quieter area. To complain about the noise in Boyztown is silly.

Oliver
February 8th, 2013, 12:50
I thought that I'd made clear in my two posts a distinction between noise from within bars- tolerable- and noise outside bars which disturbs the entire soi into the night.....but evidently not.
I did try.

Geezer
February 8th, 2013, 15:32
If it's too loud, you're too old.

(Seen on a T-shirt years ago.)

martin911
February 9th, 2013, 01:39
What about the enjoyment of the people that were having fun attending that particular party??? -- should their fun be sacrificed so as you get to sleep by a time that suits you !!!

In fairness moaning about noise when you choose to stay in a place like Boystown kinda takes the biscuit do you not think

I get what you mean about noise that is tolerable/acceptable --but each persons tolerance levels will be different -- what does one do in such a situation?? ---

Stay away from BT i would suggest --Mosaik is one place i would rec --and surely after 16 years staying there a change might not be such a bad idea??

Boystown does seem to be busier of late --esp the 2 places each side of Panorama

newyorkgeorge
February 9th, 2013, 18:52
You miserable old? git! if you don't like staying there, go stay somewhere else, why should people care about what one individual like you thinks? whose being selfish now, i was there, and it was the highlight of my trip, how can anybody not enjoy such a fun atmosphere, and watching all of those young Thai guys having such fun! you really think 3am is late? get a life, or better still, stay at home or go to the Himalaya's, i'm sure you will get peace and quiet there! :party

newyorkgeorge
February 9th, 2013, 18:56
I do wish some of the bar owners/managers would post a reason or justification for this lack of consideration, but I'm not holding my breath in anticipation. As I said above, this appears to be an Asian thing, but even in Asia it is inexcusable when most of the hotel guests are farang.

I wouldn't count on much consideration during this coming weekend, when Chinese New Year will be celebrated.
Why should they? and how do you know what the demographics are of hotel guests, are you some kind of peeping Tom, Pattaya is changing thank god! less old miserable gits like you that do nothing but complain, more young asians here to have a good time! :party

newyorkgeorge
February 9th, 2013, 18:57

It seems that you forgot how to enjoy yourself somewhere over those 16 years!

You are staying in an entertainment district... so you should expect noise from those entertainment venues
Did you ever hear of "If you can't beat them join them"?

Boystown venues seem to have been suffering, so isn't it good to see some life back in the street?

Instead all we hear is from moany codgers like you :violent1:
Oh, thank god someone who agrees with me! well said! :party

davidsobe
February 10th, 2013, 03:35
I strongly agree with Oliver's comments on keeping the noise down and having a cutoff for it. I can't believe that there were THREE loud street parties going late in BoyzTown this past month. I have been traveling to Pattaya and staying mainly in BoyzTown for a decade. I never experienced that. While some posters think that the loud, late street parties will help rebound BoyzTown, I believe they are incorrect. These loud late parties -- except for Chinese New Year, which I love -- are all new to me. Most of us go there to pick up Thai guys at a reasonable hour, have sex and then go to sleep, so we can enjoy the following day. So the loud street noise actually turns me off and will simply prevent me from ever renting in BoyzTown again. I have recently discuss this with a lot of acquaintances who visit Pattaya and are in agreement with me. Quite a few friends are now recommending that I stay in the Jomtien beach area for future trips. So next winter I will probably spend all of February in one of the gay hotels in Jomtien beach area or perhaps View Talay 7 -- my first time to do that. A change of location is always good. I will also be closer to the Dong Tan beach, which I visit every day and get a foot massage.

February 10th, 2013, 05:00
Most of us go there to pick up Thai guys at a reasonable hour, have sex and then go to sleep, ........ Quite a few friends are now recommending that I stay in the Jomtien beach area for future trips........ A change of location is always good.

Re the most of us words there - no speak for yourself there I'm afraid, I'll happily sit in the Soi until 3 or 4am if I'm in the mood and the parties are full flow and re the change of location as you say sometimes a change is good and perhaps it's the start of a change of emphasise in that area i.e. boystown = party town and the beach area being more suited for those who don't want to party so much or as hard ?

Sounds a bit just like natural (dare I say it age) progression to me just and will probably all work out anyway in the end simply under the laws of supply and demand, i.e. if no one wants the the parties running late then they will stop and if people do then those that don't will simply move elsewhere with those that do want then taking their place perhaps, all part of the normal cycle of life just surely?

However to back up the OP's original point I CAN see how it would be pain in the ass if after staying there for many years and that not being the case that over night these parties started without any notice or opportunity to move your booking - that I think would tick me off too somewhat.

Oliver
February 10th, 2013, 15:21
I've added up the number of nights I've spent in Boyztown since 1995 and the total comes to about 600; nearly two years.
During that period there were three street night parties (I don't include Chinese New Years and events like those at Le Cafe Royale which are evening, rather than night, events) and they were all during my recent stay.

The parties were not for Thais but for falangs. By about 2400 the number of people actually attending, certainly the last two, must have been about two dozen. The punters in the the three bars on the corner "attended" (how could they not?) but during my stay they were doing that every night anyway, parties or not. I noted that if any of those attending wanted to go home to bed at 0200 to sleep, they could have done so...unless they were staying in Boyztown.

May I ask one of the posters to try to keep his comments civil? I hope he had a good night's sleep in New York on Wednesday night; I didn't in Pattaya, yet managed to avoid abusive comments about even those who disturbed me.

February 10th, 2013, 16:45
Oliver, have you considered switching your Hearing Aids to a lower setting?

:dontknow:

Oliver
February 10th, 2013, 17:04
Ah but Scottish-Guy, that is precisely the problem; my hearing is fine- it's the youngsters who dance the night away close to massive loudspeakers who get hearing problems. They start regretting it by early middle age while I can still interpret different recordings of Mozart symphonies with precision.

By the way, I am amused by the ire my innocent comments provoked. Our New York friend should remember that , without we miserable (sic) old gits, there is no Boyztown; no Oscars, no Copa, no Panorama, no BBB. And so no money for owners to indulge themselves by putting on lavish parties.

Of course, falang youngsters (not that I ever see many) will claim that they still have NAB et al. But wait a minute; without we miserable old gits, will the hordes of Isaan guys still be coming to Pattaya? and will the cute Thais dancing in NAB at 0400 be there unless we miserable old gits have provided the money that buys their whiskey either directly or indirectly?

Come to think of it, the younger generation of falangs should feel nothing but what Thais call "getanyuu" (deep gratitude) towards us miserable old gits; we keep Pattaya (and its attactive girls and boys) going. Without us, NewYorkGuy would be partying in Christopher Street, not Boyztown.

February 10th, 2013, 18:51
I have to concur with Oliver there a bit as when I was "younger" I used to go to Nab etc to pick up a guy or whatever and over the course of the night was often asked to join various tables for a glass of whiskey where the table usually consisted of one ageing farang and maybe 6 or 8 hot thai guys with his time taken up with just one of them leaving me free rein with all the other guys, whereas now I go and find that "I" am that ageing farang ( ok maybe not with just one guy taking up my time as I'm not quite there yet :-) with a table of Thai's and they are ones asking other younger guys to join us for the craic (while I pay of course ) - but hey I guess that's evolution for ya ! :-)

And I seriously have to concur about the hearing thing as unfortunately I was the guy you describe Oliver who after years of playing in a loud band in clubs and attending night clubs all over the world and importantly in Thailand where it has to be the loudest almost painful level of music I've experienced anywhere, I am now the guy who IS losing his hearing (thankfully slowly) just as you describe. So for any younger guys reading this ( if there are any on here) take note, ear plugs aren't as crazy an idea as they seem !!

However being the sort of person that always tries to see things in a positive way I figure that it's that very hearing loss that would enable me to sleep if staying in Boystown when said parties are in full flow ( ok I'd probably be down attending them so moving on....) so oliver it appears your perfect hearing is actually the problem here and I humbly suggest that you consider attending a few more of these partiesand a couple more nights at NAB just to ensure you pick up some of this very useful hearing loss stuff and then you'll sleep like a baby too ! There, problem solved !! :-)

February 10th, 2013, 19:31
I welcome the friendliness, the bonhomie of NIrish's posts in this (and other) threads. We may sometimes disagree with what he says, but certainly not with the way he says it.

colmx
February 10th, 2013, 20:30
without we miserable (sic) old gits, there is no Boyztown; no Oscars, no Copa, no Panorama, no BBB. And so no money for owners to indulge themselves by putting on lavish parties.

Oliver i think the point here is that you may (or may not) be old... but you don't have to be miserable!

Where else in the world can you have 200 available and smiling young men for fun in such a small space?

So the party went on till 2, so what! you still have 6-7 hours that you can sleep and then have a meaningful day
You might even find that the guys that you are with would like you even more if you would just try to tone down the misery a bit and lighten up

anonone
February 10th, 2013, 20:49
While I sympathize a bit for anyone staying in BT expecting the nights to be quiet (as apparently they have been in the past), I am delighted to hear that there are some things going on past 1 AM. I have mentioned before how amazed I am at how quiet the gay areas are once 1 AM rolls around.

Due to a combination of time zone changes and excitement at being back in Thailand, I am often awake most of the night. I would be very happy to have some options for hanging out to the wee hours of the night...without having to trek out to NAB, Idol, Dave Man, etc. especially if I don't want to get involved with a big group.

After so many threads about how quiet the gay areas of Pattaya have become, it is a refreshing change to hear about some activity. :tongue3:

February 10th, 2013, 21:22
i totally agree Anonone - it never ceased to amaze me that after going to all the trouble of getting people there the city decides to close places at 1am ( in theory anyway) and like yourself I have found myself many a night thinking, it's either to early for a club (or I wasn't in the mood to get ripped of for 500 baht for a bottle of heineken) which left either str8 bars ( of which nearly all open until at LEAST 3am if not more) or the dreaded karaoke bars which are all right every once in a while but aren't exactly entertainment and you're stuck with however you go in with usually, so whilst I understand peoples aversion to noise and wanting a good nights sleep etc I absolutely welcome a but more life about boys town - which by the way I think is in no small part to the Russians starting to move in a bit more as a waiter friend in one of the bars in BT tells me that's almost half their custom now late at night and they spend big money and hence the boss is very happy to keep the bar open late(r) for them ( and so all of us too) and he's actually putting on loud Russian music for them once the majority of farangs leave as it keeps them there even longer and my friends typical knocking off time is now 3am or after as opposed to the bar being empty and him being let go at 2am.

* oh and thank you bob, very nice of you to say that.

martin911
February 11th, 2013, 00:45
I had some sympathy for the Op s predicament re his sleeping being disturbed and therefore had tempered my first reply accordingly --but having read some of his subsequent replies in which he is saying that the younger guys visiting Pattaya should be grateful --Grateful !!!!! :pukeleft: :pukeleft: to him and his like for the very fact that Nab or some of the other gay places exists in the first place is some bucket of piss

There is prob some truths in what you say yes -but for somebody to come out and actually say something like that pretty much sums up the sort of person that he prob is -a moany auld git -- the type i go out of my way to avoid like the plague

Interestingly enough judging from chats ive had with guys here --a lot of their farang customers tend to be unhappy with a lot of things in Thailand !!!

dab69
February 11th, 2013, 07:28
I can relate with sleep deprivation. Actually had to go see a doctor in TH a few years back.
Couldn't sleep on the flight then so was up for ~30 hours straight. Then the excitement of
going from dark/cold USA to the warm candy store of sunny Thailand- could only sleep for 4-5 hours .
Add to all that jet lag. Then hotel remodeling. Usually remember the ear plugs though they don't help much.

Not accustomed to having any music on while I sleep either.
Long ago learned to have friends sleep elsewhere, as I am accustomed to sleeping alone.
(would be up all night just looking at their beautiful body and admiring)

Oliver
February 11th, 2013, 12:06
I have no idea from where Colmx derived his impression that I was miserable. I spend a lot of money travelling three times to Thailand each year....and I wouldn't do so if I were miserable there. Nor, by the way, am I miserable here in London. Despite the bloody weather.

The sleepless three nights- the parties lasted until -0400-didn't make me miserable only irritated because they interfered with my enjoyment of the next day in Pattaya.

Perhaps it is a question of age; I enjoyed my birthday party in Pattaya at Le Bordeau with my boy friend. Just the two of us. For many of us, loud music with a thumping bass is not synonymous with enjoyment. And I have to say that P.,who spent eight years in Pattaya as a young man, agrees with me. As a country boy , he likes waking up to the sound of birds. At 0600.

February 11th, 2013, 15:08
...Long ago learned to have friends sleep elsewhere, as I am accustomed to sleeping alone.
(would be up all night just looking at their beautiful body and admiring)

No idea how old you are dab69 - but if you're over 55 you're lucky you're not up all night pissing!

:evil4:

latintopxxx
February 12th, 2013, 03:29
...careful...first school boy uniforms...and now golden showers...have u no shame....

joe552
February 12th, 2013, 03:49
I think the next one is tartan skirts with long socks :laughing3:

Oliver
February 12th, 2013, 17:55
And what will he wear underneath? I recall seeing a hairy backside under a kilt in Trafalgar Square.
It was long ago....obviously because Scotland had just beaten England in a football match.
For a few seconds I wondered whether I should turn straight.

February 12th, 2013, 21:59
FYI - I have often visited bars in BT, Sunee, and Jomtien in full highland dress (which includes the aforementioned bare-arse).

Hell I've even been on the back of a motorbike taxi from The Venue to BT with the wind blowing up my philabeg!

This has previously been discussed on SGF and although I was slightly coy about my identity at the time I am happy to reveal it now:

Tonight in Sunnee Harry Lauder made a return to the scene. Some portly guy dressed in a costume no self respecting Scotsman would be seen dead in delighted us all in his wanders around the Soi . I think he must have been American but claiming some Scotch ancestry. Can anyone confirm this?

Update.....

Harry Lauder arrived (with entourage) at The Venue, drank a bottle of Black Label in double-quick time, then sped off in a motorbike taxi with the wind billowing up his kilt all the way to Boyztown, where he proceeded to mince about on stage in LCR singing "Quando Quando Quando" with Khun Toi

Quite shocking really.

I don't know how he has the audacity - I think he must be an alcofrolic.

:occasion9:

:party

Neal
February 12th, 2013, 23:05
And unfortnately I can vouch for this. :pukeleft:

Oliver
February 13th, 2013, 15:12
I'm all in favour of national dress, providing it doesn't cause alarm and distress. I've seen Japanese guys walk into Soi Twilight bars dressed in the garb of The Seven Samurai on more than one occasion.

Marsilius
February 13th, 2013, 17:16
And, presumably, when they visit Soi Cowboy they put on outfits from The Magnificent Seven?

ceejay
February 13th, 2013, 17:20
And, presumably, when they visit Soi Cowboy they put on outfits from The Magnificent Seven?
Wouldn't know about that, but most farang become Peter Pan when they go to Nana Plaza