PDA

View Full Version : The Sun probes sinister Thai party island Koh Phangan

Neal
February 1st, 2013, 02:34
IT is 2am on a humid night on the Thai island of Koh Phangan, and the infamous Full Moon Party is at fever pitch.

Girls in skimpy bikinis spew luminous liquid from their mouths, their bodies rejecting the syrupy cocktails they have been guzzling for hours.

As they heave up into the sea, lads sway in the shallows urinating into the water. Girls pull down their bikini bottoms to do the same.

Dozens of other young people strip off to dive in and cool off, dunking their heads under the waves and spitting mouthfuls of sea water at each other тАФ oblivious to the soup of human waste they are swimming in.

Meanwhile a 50,000-strong scrum of people jostles its way along the hundreds of bars along the beach.

All of the bars throb to the sound of loud house music, turning this beautiful stretch of shore into the worldтАЩs biggest nightclub.

It was outside the Zoom Bar that British backpacker Stephen Aston, 22, was killed on New YearтАЩs Eve.

A fight broke out between two rival local gangs, just yards from where Stephen was dancing.

As the losing gang ran away, one member span around to fire off a shot from his homemade gun. A stray bullet hit Stephen.

His died on this beach where, four weeks on, youngsters are downing buckets of potent Thai whisky and locking lips with random strangers. They dance and cavort near the spot where he drew his last breath.

This is the first Full Moon Party since that terrible tragedy. As the name suggests, these monthly events happen whenever there is a full moon and attract thousands of backpackers to the island each year.

Websites will have you believe the Full Moon Party descends straight from the hippy dream which lured many here in the Sixties and Seventies.

But there is little evidence today of the hippy mantra of peace and love.

Koh Phangan is a violent and dirty place where criminal gangs are out to get you. And, if the stories are to be believed, the police are too.

Some tourists claim drug dealers are in cahoots with bent cops, selling punters something either fake or a nasty cocktail of pills and powders, only for a watching policeman to swoop. Then they demand a bribe of 5,000 Thai Baht тАФ around ┬г100 тАФ to let you go free.

If you cannot pay, you are off to the Bangkok Hilton тАФ the nickname for the cockroach-infested prison in the Thai capital.

But that does not seem to deter the many youngsters who flock to these parties to drink cheap booze, take drugs and indulge in shameless antics.

Nor are they put off by the sickening crimes and sex attacks that are not uncommon at these events.

If anything, the notoriety of the Full Moon Party seems as big a lure as any of its other temptations.

One Australian girl fails to hide a macabre grin as she tells us: тАЬOne girl we went to school with was raped by three men just on the other side of the beach there.тАЭ

By all accounts, Stephen Aston was not part of the hedonistic Full Moon Party set.

At home in Purley, south London, he was a hard-working investment broker. As he danced the night away here, in a bid to get over the death of his dad a month earlier from a brain tumour, he found himself in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Sadly the realities of his senseless death seem lost on this latest bunch of party animals, although it has given them a fresh story to trade.

тАЬI heard he was a really good boxer and he was beating a load of them up for chatting s*** to his girlfriend,тАЭ says a British girl, so drunk she can barely stand.

тАЬSo they pulled a gun and he went to grab it out of their hands, so they shot him in the face.тАЭ

Only a month on and StephenтАЩs sad story has become a part of ghoulish Full Moon Party folklore.

Although most of the revellers here are from Australia тАФ to them it is the equivalent of popping over to Benidorm or Tenerife тАФ Brits are everywhere.

Most of them are travelling around the Far East, but cannot resist stopping off at Koh Phangan to see for themselves the wild excesses of the Full Moon Party.

тАЬItтАЩs all anyone talks about when travelling through Thailand,тАЭ says Tom, a backpacker from Kent. тАЬItтАЩs absolutely mental, IтАЩve never seen anything like this. I saw a white guy get knocked out cold by a Thai bloke dressed in kick-boxing shorts.

тАЬOne punch and out like a light. The guyтАЩs girlfriend was screaming for help but no one came.тАЭ

Lee Jones, also from Kent, says: тАЬMagaluf and Ibiza are nowhere near as crazy as this place.

тАЬI wouldnтАЩt buy drugs out here, though. IтАЩve heard they sell you things like Rohypnol then rob you when youтАЩve passed out. I donтАЩt trust the locals at all.тАЭ

Channel 4тАЩs controversial TV show What Happens In Kavos is currently lifting the lid on the wild antics of British teenagers seeking sun and booze in Corfu away from the watchful eyes of their parents.

But the Full Moon Party makes that documentary look like an episode of Songs Of Praise. By 3am couples are openly having sex on the beach, thinking they have found a secluded spot but actually in full view of hundreds of leering party-goers.

At one end of the beach is a crumbling set of steps known as тАЬMushroom MountainтАЭ.

At the top is a rickety little bar selling milkshakes made from magic
mushrooms.
It is not illegal here, and people are downing the grey, sludgy concoction as if it was water.

Some are sat in a huddle on the floor, eyes as round as dinner plates, as the hallucinogenics kick in. Others sway uneasily on the single barrier between the bar and a 50ft drop to the rocks below. A Brit called Kelly tells us: тАЬI love it here тАФ you can do what you want.

тАЬYou can buy any drug going on the beach, you just gotta be careful of cops. IтАЩve taken MDMA and itтАЩs really strong. But I canтАЩt find any of my friends.тАЭ

Other revellers tell me the drug dealers and crooked cops are in cahoots to extort money from travellers who want to buy narcotics.

University student Daniel Ridley, from Perth, says: тАЬI was buying speed off this Thai guy, and the next thing I knew two cops had me by the arms.

тАЬThey didnтАЩt wear uniforms, other than their polo tops had police logos, and they were carrying guns. I thought I was done for, IтАЩve heard stories about Thai prisons тАФ theyтАЩre the sort of place you never come out of. But they just frogmarched me to the cash machine and told me to take out 5,000 Baht.

тАЬIтАЩve never been so relieved in my life, I had visions of my mum visiting me in jail.тАЭ

It is not just bent police that tourists need to worry about.

Rapes and muggings are commonplace at the Full Moon Party, with an average of three sex attacks at each monthly bash.

At the New Year party when Stephen was fatally shot, an Israeli woman was gang-raped on a secluded part of the beach.

In 2007 an Israeli man died after being stabbed eight times in a bar brawl. And in 2004 a gang gunfight left three Thai people dead. By the early hours, the beach is littered with the comatose bodies of those who have drunk too much.

Their downfall is almost certainly the notorious bucket cocktails тАФ actual buckets of booze containing an entire bottle of vodka or whisky and high-caffeine energy drinks.

They sell for about ┬г6 each, and after just one you will be lucky if you can stay on your feet.

Dawn breaks on a scene of utter carnage. Some of the excesses have been washed away by the sea, Mother Nature doing her best to expunge the filth which pollutes these white sands.

But she will never succeed in turning the tide against the dark side of the moon.

More pics see: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/fe ... angan.html (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/features/4771404/sun-investigation-sinister-thai-island-koh-phangan.html)

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/fe ... z2JaSEuF9Z (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/features/4771404/sun-investigation-sinister-thai-island-koh-phangan.html#ixzz2JaSEuF9Z)

February 1st, 2013, 03:13
Well I can certainly vouch for the whole bent cop side to that article as I witnessed it myself on several occasions whilst attending a week long party there - on the other hand myself and ten others had one HELL of a good time and like everything in Thailand if you play the game, tip the right people and behave yourself - no problems - we were sitting in a bar ( outside on the street) opening smoking all sorts (and worrying about that) with the bar man ( who had openly sold us the stuff) telling us not to worry, ten minutes later the police arrived and arrested the guy in the bar right next to ours ( who was sitting five feet away from us with nothing separating us) and we fully expected to be going with him the state we were in but turns out our bar owner was paying his tea money on time and in the right amount it seems ( which was why he was so brazen apparently), cutting a long story short the guy that was arrested was back to OUR bar about half an hour later lighter for money ( I never heard how much actually :-( and everything carried on as normal, with the other bar owner no doubt getting a rattle at the next tea collection day to remind him to play ball or else.

We also witnessed the conveyor belt in operation of a dealer selling "something" to a guy, two minutes later after the dealer walked away the police pulled up and arrested the guy ( and I assume shook him down for money round the corner somewhere) and then returned, met up with the guy selling the gear ( and we assumed gave it back) and so the whole process started over again......a great afternoons crack and certainly beat watching the jetski scams in pattaya.

There was also the time of the dealer discussing and agreeing to bury his empty coke bottles ( which were full of e's) in the sand under our porch for a small "consideration" again with police almost standing watching him and it was quite clear that he was burying it not stop the police arresting him but to stop the other ( many) dealers working the beach stealing his large stash or robbing him of it while he was away getting rid it in small amounts to avoid any danger.

I can also attest to the honesty of the Thai dealers ( I'm not sure that's ACTUALLY true of course) as one dropping a little something from one of them that we'd bought and nothing happening we were having a moan about that to an expat business owner there who chastised us for being so foolish as to buy from a Thai dealer and he then gave us some of his stuff which we immediately took - only for BOTH items to then kick in at the same time which ensured that the next several hours where one hell of a fun roller coster ride !! :-)

Or the bar where........or I could go on and go :) ha ha needless to say even though it was all a bit mad, bad and crazy it WAS also one hell of an exceptionally good fun party trip at the time ! :-)

zinzone
February 1st, 2013, 07:57
NIrish Guy: You talk about bent cops and honest drug dealers and admit your own involvement in the drug trade. Do you behave like this in your own country? You come to Thailand and brazenly commit crime and you seem proud to boast about it.
You might as well tell as what other illegal activities you got away with when you were in Thailand........
Unbelievable.

February 1st, 2013, 09:34
ZZ: Aren't we all brazenly comitting crime when we hire boys for sex? Isn't prostitution illegal in Thailand?

zinzone
February 1st, 2013, 11:05
Paying another adult for sex is not illegal in Thailand. Dealing in dangerous drugs is.
Get your facts straight bobsaigon to avoid making yourself look stupid.

February 1st, 2013, 11:14
There are fines and jail terms for prostitution. It appears that only a stupid person would contend otherwise.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Legal situation and historyProstitution had been illegal in Thailand[3] since 1960, when a law was passed under pressure from the United Nations. The government has instituted a system of monitoring sex workers in order to prevent their mistreatment and to control the spread of sexually transmitted diseases.[11] The 1960 Law was repealed by The Prevention and Suppression of Prostitution Act, B.E. 2539 (1996).

Thailand has an ancient, continuous tradition of legal texts, generally described under the heading of Dhammasattha literature (Thai pron., tam-ma-sat), wherein prostitution is variously defined, and universally banned. The era of traditional legal texts came to an end in the early 20th century, but the significance of these earlier texts on both the writ and spirit of modern legislation cannot be overlooked.[12]

The current legal framework prohibiting prostitution is the Prevention and Suppression of Prostitution Act, B.E. 2539 (1996). Under the act, persons who solicit sex "in an open and shameless manner" or "causing nuisance to the public" are subject to a fine of 1,000 baht, while persons mingling in a "prostitution establishment" face a jail term of up to one month and/or a fine of up to 1,000 baht. Prostitution is defined as any act done to gratify the sexual desire of another in exchange for money or any other benefit. The term prostitution establishment is not clearly defined, although it may be broadly interpreted to include any place where prostitution takes place, especially in cases involving child prostitution, which carries heavier penalties (up to six years if the prostitute is younger than 15). Otherwise, the law is not usually enforced against prostitution in private places. The act also imposes heavier penalties against owners of prostitution businesses and establishments: a jail term of three to fifteen years, higher if it involves underage or forced prostitutes.[13][14][15]

The Criminal Code also contains penalties for pimping or being supported by money earned from prostitution.[16][17]

The "Entertainment Places Act of 1966" is one of the modern laws regulating massage parlors, go-go bars, karaoke bars, bathhouses and similar establishments. Under this law such establishments are required to be licensed. The law does not expressedly permit prostitution, but allows for "service providers" and "bath service providers," differentiated from regular, non-sexual service staff.[18] For example, there are massage parlours where men come and look at women, who are sitting separated by a glass wall (known as a "fishbowl"), and may choose whom they want. The women go to a room where they bathe and massage the customers, but in reality may do much more than that.

[edit] Legalization attemptIn 2003, the Ministry of Justice considered legalising prostitution as an official occupation with health benefits and taxable income and held a public discussion on the topic. Legalisation and regulation was proposed as a means to increase tax revenue, reduce corruption, and improve the situation of the workers.[6] However, nothing further was done.

zinzone
February 1st, 2013, 11:28
You are trying to cloud the issue I raise, namely its about the OP boasting of his antics in breaking the law in Thailand by his drug activities.
Anyone can cut and paste out of context some blurb about prostitution in Thailand. I was not talking about pimps etc., but I was referring to paying another adult for sex which, to repeat, is not illegal in Thailand.

February 1st, 2013, 11:37
Please provide a citation/link/reference for your claim that prostitution is not illegal in Thailand.

zinzone
February 1st, 2013, 11:55
Read what I say. If you want a citation do some proper internet research and not just an irrelevant cut and paste job.
Again you are trying to obfuscate the issue I raise.

February 1st, 2013, 12:09
You have not offered any evidence that prostitution is legal in Thailand. At least I came up with a citation, which referenced commercial sex, so the citation I gave was appropriate and relevant. I am not trying to cloud the issue. Yes, illegal drug use is a crime. And go-go bars, etc., where most readers of this board go to find partners, are engaging in activity which is also punishable by law. Absent any pertinent citation on your part, I think we have exhausted this topic.

Neal
February 1st, 2013, 16:12
As a previous go go bar owner I do believe I will iterject here for one moment. Prostitution here in Thailand is illegal. Street walkers get arrested continuously and thrown in jail until they pay a fine. Girl or boy go go clubs are technically illegal. I hope that satisfies both of you and should you wish to continue this discussion you my but preferably by PM although under duress I wil possibly answer openly.

arsenal
February 1st, 2013, 16:28
In Thailand, to sell yourself for sex (prostitution) is illegal. To pay someone for it is not. Strange but true.

Oh yes, and bad bad NIrish. :argue:

Neal
February 1st, 2013, 16:38
That may be so but I would hate to try it out. Definitely the one who gets paid goes to the Hilton but the one buying will probably need to pay his way out of it. Legal or not.

February 1st, 2013, 17:08
@ zinzone - ha ha good try but I'm not biting, firstly I'm not boasting or commenting either way about the rights and wrongs of anything I'm merely passing on my experiences of life, if you don't like reading them simply move on. And to answer your direct questions about do I / have I behaved like this is my own Country - Yes, many many times and LOVED it - and many others too I should add, I like to spread it around and lo and behold I always seem to find others who think the same when in clubs and bars all over the world - funny that :-) And "perhaps I'd like to tell you what other laws I've broken.....hmmm thats a tough one.....I did ride a motor bike without my helmet once - sorry :-( I hope that hasn't upset you Too much ! lol And lastly and just to clarify ( as I'm sure you're guessing already anyway ) I really could care less what silly knee jerk reaction judgemental people like yourself think about stuff, I've seen and heard the protestations all before and over the years usually see those that have shouted the loudest being guilty of WAY much more than I could ever dream of so I tend not to let it bother me, I know who I am and what sort of person I am ( a nice one people generally agree) and I'm quite happy with that, if you're not to be honest I really could care less.

Oh and I'm not sure what age you are but here's a news flash for you - some people have been known to have a drink, smoke a joint and or drop an "e" at a rave etc etc, I can "assure" you that that doesn't make them a bad person :-) - except in the mind of people like you perhaps, mind you some religious nutters that I know are nothing short of total and utter bad bastards so I find making snap judgements about people to be quite pointless so tend to make my own decisions in life and about people and things like that without having to a sheep and basing my snap judgements of people on silly my things like do they break "the law" - but HEY I HOPE you have never broken the speed limit or anything - even by 5 miles an hour as if so well I'm sorry I just can't talk to you ever again as people speeding DISGUSTS me and I think they should all be locked up immediately!! :-) - or are we perhaps getting into talking about what are acceptable levels of breaking the law perhaps ? if so that's an interesting concept ! Let me know how that works out for you ? :-)

So I don't know whether you were trying to get a rise out of me or are "genuinely" shocked that not everyone lives to your own "high" standards ( sorry you'll have to excuse me while I stifle a giggle as you're posting your comments on HERE of all places :-)) so sorry if my life doesn't match your own view of the how the world is or should be - but hey that's life, I'm sure you'll get over it :-)

But thank you your post did make me start my day off with a laugh at your ( fake) righteous indignation lol - always so funny to witness in people and if you were trolling - good try and if you were serious - get a grip man, you sound like you're about 90 ! :-)

Oh and one last thing - don't be going to Koh Phangan and certainly don't be going to any of the full moon parties - you'd HATE it as there are lots of people there from all over the world all being bad boys and girls - shame on them for living their lives how they see fit and not how you would prefer eh ! :-)

a447
February 1st, 2013, 19:13
zinzone wrote:
Paying another adult for sex is not illegal in Thailand.

If this is true it would seem that maybe we farang are, on the surface, not doing anything wrong.

In many western countries, the farang could be guilty of a crime by association, or guilty of being an accessory to a crime (under art and part liability principle), if it can be shown that the farang was aware that by paying for sex, the other party was committing a crime. Simply associating with a prostitute, of course, is ok. The farang must participate in the actus reus - the actual paying of the prostitute for sex in this case - and/or attempt to conceal the act from the authorities.

I would be really interested to know if this is the case in LOS.

If it isn't, then that would not surprise me.

If it is, then we had all better be careful!

And if it is true, then others cannot criticise NIrishguy of breaking the law.

Any Thai legal people out there who can clarify the situation?

joe552
February 1st, 2013, 21:01
Why have clarity when we can have a bitchfest? :violent1:

I think NIrish Guy is a disgrace - a man of his advanced years partying with youngsters. :old:

still, if you can't beat them, join them

latintopxxx
February 1st, 2013, 21:08
...I dont do drugs, except for alcohol....but as for the other crap I get up to when in Thailand...guess technically they could throw me in jail for a very long time....but then thats why i love visiting...as long as you pay your bills..in full..on time...and dont push the proverbial envelope too much then I certainly do get away with a lot....but then I act like this even at home and get away with it as well...I believe that a bit of self confidence and bravado go a long way...

February 1st, 2013, 22:32
More importantly I was reading just a few weeks ago that they are talking about bringing in new laws in Thialand ( although this may have been bye laws just in Pattaya I can't recall) TO make the act of purchasing the services of a prostitute illegal, if that does happen can I assume then that all those that care about the law so much will cease and desist from their previously lawful activities ? Somehow I doubt that ? :-)

Oh and Joe I didn't say that the partying I mentioned was today or yesterday, those particular instances were several years ago now, however I do of course reserve the right to kick the ass out of life and be as bad as I see fit at any given opportunity so I'll never say never again :-)

joe552
February 1st, 2013, 22:59
you know I'm just jealous, NIrish :notworthy:

Alex303
February 2nd, 2013, 01:39
I have just made the mistake of bothering to read that tabloid diatribe....as per usual for the tabloid press in the UK...exaduration heaped on being extremely selective with the facts!

I've been to Koh Phangan many times and its certainly not ALL about the full moon parties, its a stunning Island with some amazing places to see. I went to a particularly 'killer' 3 day dance festival a few years ago at Paradise Waterfalls near Chalok Lam and i certainly don't recognise half the utter tosh the Sun published from back then or more recent visits.

There are many many people who do the whole winter 'season' out there year in...year out...and just love the scene and having fun!

February 2nd, 2013, 01:55
I can also fully back up what Alex has said above as whilst the full moon parties were fun and are what they are, like them or loath them ( I wouldn't have missed it for the world and it definitely a "life experience", but Koh Phangan itself was also a beautiful place in itself away from all that madness and like Alex I spent some time travelling round the island and have some lovely memories of it, including walking in a forest early in the morning, with the smoke from a fire waffling through the trees only for me to walk into a clearing and come across a fully grown elephant and her baby standing glancing towards me as I walked ever closer ( until I noticed them of course and stopped in my tracks) - pic below ( hopefully!), I also visited a lovely waterfall and drove around a very small towns stopping for food and drinks and throughly enjoyed myself - actually I called in to an Irish bar in one of the out of the way places and the guy serving me came from about ten miles from where I live now if I remember correctly, reminding me that the world is indeed a small place these days !

February 2nd, 2013, 03:11
The Sun newspaper is the last place i would look for any truth about anything....shouldent it be them that should be investigated for years of printing lies and slander about people and places.
when ever they do tv programs or news reports about Thailand they allways highlight the negative things about this great country.....if you've travelled around Thai ...you will know its most of the time nothing like what they would have you beleve
It would be nice if they did a programe about the rural districts like Isaan ..and show you the real Thailand

a447
February 2nd, 2013, 07:28
I was reading just a few weeks ago that they are talking about bringing in new laws in Thialand ( although this may have been bye laws just in Pattaya I can't recall) TO make the act of purchasing the services of a prostitute illegal

NIrishguy, I guess that kind of answers my previous question in relation to the law regarding prostitution.

if that does happen can I assume then that all those that care about the law so much will cease and desist from their previously lawful activities ?

No, probably not but we may have to be more careful. And the BIB will no doubt be able to collect more tea money from the bars and perhaps even start to intimidate the farang walking along the street with a boy in tow.

February 2nd, 2013, 07:49
I wasn't thinking of yourself personally there A447 but perhaps more the likes of Zinzone et al, who proclaim to be such fine upstanding members of the community etc, who would (I assume) never dream of breaking the law - any law - but should that law change in some way my question then was more directed at them as I wonder would if alter the type of "fun" they get up to when visiting Thailand and such places in any way, I doubt it somehow ?

egel
February 2nd, 2013, 22:53
I'm waiting for the Russians to discover Koh Phangan, THEN I will go and watch the fun!

February 2nd, 2013, 23:35
Might I ask what the gay sex scene is like at these parties?

February 3rd, 2013, 00:00
Speaking personally I didn't find any !! - and it wasn't for the want of looking I can assure you, there were certainly no gay bars as such but saying that the whole beach / town where the beach party is held appeared to be a fairly transient area and also people tend to be there with friends and other backpackers so the need for specific bars would be a lot less than in Pattaya etc, Im sure of course on the law of averages that there were a reasonable number of gay people about but that week seemed for everyone to be more about having collective fun rather than being segregated off into small groups, so definitely a BYO sort of place if thats what you were going for I would imagine.

Khor tose
February 3rd, 2013, 00:15
NIrish Guy: You talk about bent cops and honest drug dealers and admit your own involvement in the drug trade. Do you behave like this in your own country? You come to Thailand and brazenly commit crime and you seem proud to boast about it.
You might as well tell as what other illegal activities you got away with when you were in Thailand........
Unbelievable.

You've really got to be kidding me. What a self righteous attitude to take. Hell smoking weed is now legal in my state and it should have been years ago. The worst crime ever committed, other then alcohol prohibition in the US, was America's misguided war on drugs. Do some real research and keep your holier then thou attitude to yourself. Thank you Irish for all your input on this party Island.

Alex303
February 3rd, 2013, 01:16
Nice pics NIrish...that brought back some nice memories.

The last couple of times i went there i hired one of those small Suzuki 4x4's and had a great time with some friends exploring bits of the island we'd never made it to on bikes before...Thong Nai Pan beach is a great place to hang out and chill for a couple of days (beautifull beach) but the road is a really rough in parts...in some places not much more than a dirt track.

I honestly think the whole Island is much much nicer than Samui.

zinzone
February 3rd, 2013, 08:39
Unbelievable.

You've really got to be kidding me. What a self righteous attitude to take. Hell smoking weed is now legal in my state and it should have been years ago. The worst crime ever committed, other then alcohol prohibition in the US, was America's misguided war on drugs. Do some real research and keep your holier then thou attitude to yourself. Thank you Irish for all your input on this party Island.

-No doubt certain things are legal in your state, but when coming to Thailand its better to try to obey the laws that apply in Thailand rather than makes excuses about legality elsewhere.
In certain Arab countries they chop off culprits fingers and hands for stealing.
Do you think that law should apply in Thailand?!

Alex303
February 3rd, 2013, 16:53
A few old pics of Koh Phangan...

The First one is of Haad Rin beach where the full moon parties take place (certainly did'nt look too sinister to me)...this was back in 2000 when a friend and i were back-packing our way around Thailand (i was in my early 20's), spent a week or two living in a Bungalow up in the rocks at the end of the beach and had this as our view every day!

Even back then the full moon parties had big crowds as i remember someone had left a message on the wall of the bungalow thanking all the thousands of people they'd shared the beach with on the turn of the Millenium.

[attachment=3:10c6mdpe]Th17.jpg[/attachment:10c6mdpe]

These next two are from the other (quieter) side of the island going up from Thong Sala towards Chalok Lam

[attachment=2:10c6mdpe]KP2.jpg[/attachment:10c6mdpe]

[attachment=1:10c6mdpe]KP3.jpg[/attachment:10c6mdpe]

Last one is of a 3 day festival at Paradise waterfalls near Chalok Lam...New Years Eve 2001/2002, without a doubt one of the best festivals i've been too

[attachment=0:10c6mdpe]KP1.jpg[/attachment:10c6mdpe]

As the old saying goes...don't believe all the hype!