View Full Version : Hookah,shishi smoking of waterpipes in bars

lonelywombat
January 28th, 2013, 05:47
Over the weekend I was chatting with bar owners and patrons from our Northern side of Melbourne and the matter of a crackdown on Hookah smoking in bars was mentioned.I had mentioned that Sunee Plaza was inundated with bars and it was taking off like a rocket.

The point made to me that these are completely safe and not habit forming.

I do not have the time to search this week as I am travelling, but I am sure that smokers have posted here details of the strength of the item smoked, indicating it can be full on drug smoking. I would like to get more info and a quick check failed to get what I was looking for in our search records.

It did not appear that anything was being done to combat this in Pattaya but any or all info would be interesting.

cdnmatt
January 28th, 2013, 16:58
It'll give you a nice buzz for 20 - 30 mins, but that's about it. That's why they hang out in the hookah bars for so long -- each hit only lasts a short period of time. Wouldn't exactly classify it as a drug, and definitely no more addicting or damaging than alcohol or cigarettes.

If they're going after closing them down in Australia, it's probably simply because the tobacco and alcohol companies are lobbying the government to do so, as they don't want new competition.

January 28th, 2013, 17:28
The long term effects of Shisha pipe smoking are not conclusive yet as not enough research has been done into the subject, however at best it is accepted that they are equally as dangerous as cigarette smoking HOWEVER a large proportion of the scientific community state that they believe Shisha smoking to be MUCH worse than smoking ( up to 200 time worse even ! - link below). Whether that figure is correct or not I don't know and a quick google search will show you many sites with many figures but I don't think anyone is claiming that it is "safe".

And to the OP are you maybe getting confused and thinking that the substance being smoked is herbal like "grass" etc ? If so, it's not, it's totally legal and tends to be various fruit flavours which as Matt has said you get a very small lift from ( no more than a cigarette I thought) so it's not the "high" you might expect if smoking cannabis etc, although I guess in theory theres no reason why you couldn't do that as a shisha is of course just a big "bong", but the stuff they're smoking in the bars etc is all fully above board- but again highly unhealthy just like cigarettes and actually I wish this message would get out more as I hate to see young people who don't and would never smoke sitting smoking shisha's puffing away as they "think" and assume it's a safe pastime and just a bit of harmless fun to share with their friends. :-(

http://www.healthxchange.com.sg/healthy ... ettes.aspx (http://www.healthxchange.com.sg/healthyliving/ManagingChronicIllnesses/Pages/Shisha-200-Times-More-Harmful-Than-Cigarettes.aspx)

pauldmitchell13
December 5th, 2013, 13:01
Over the weekend I was chatting with bar owners and patrons from our Northern side of Melbourne and the matter of a crackdown on Hookah smoking in bars was mentioned.I had mentioned that Sunee Plaza was inundated with bars and it was taking off like a rocket.

The point made to me that these are completely safe and not habit forming.

I do not have the time to search this week as I am travelling, but I am sure that smokers have posted here details of the strength of the item smoked, indicating it can be full on drug smoking. I would like to get more info and a quick check failed to get what I was looking for in our search records.

It did not appear that anything was being done to combat this in Pattaya but any or all info would be interesting.

Unfortunately, people mistakenly assume Hookah smoking is safer and less addictive than cigarettes. Read an April 18, 2013 press release from the American Association for Cancer Research which studied the difference between smoking cigarettes, affordable bongs and smoking hookah and found that hookah smoking led to a different pattern of toxic exposure which may cause cardiovascular diseases and leukemia.

christianpfc
December 6th, 2013, 10:42
Even if they are safe (health-wise), the glowing coal poses a fire risk and wonder how many fires have started or how many people got burned. I haven't read a single report, but I am sure such accidents happened.

They are tall, there is a long hose, one day someone will knock one over. Broken glass, water, and a piece of glowing charcoal rolling somewhere on the floor. It's a miracle that I haven't witnessed a hookah being knocke over (or the aftermath) yet, given that often alcohol comes into play as well.

And one day a hookah will block my view of a cute boy. Ban them!

timmberty
December 6th, 2013, 12:44
christian i know you like skinny boys, but a hooker being hidden behind a hookah. ive never seen one that skinny before

December 6th, 2013, 13:23
And one day a hookah will block my view of a cute boy.Isnt this whats known as a tautology?

jinks
December 8th, 2013, 22:52
Too late for me.

lonelywombat
December 29th, 2013, 11:33
From Pattaya People weekly action against at last

PAGE 10
PATTAYA PEOPLE WEEKLY ISSUE 426 | SATURDAY 28TH DECEMBER 2013 TO SATURDAY 4TH
JANUARY 2014

Sheesha Inspection in Pattaya
After receiving reports that a number of unlicensed entertainment
venues and Middle Eastern restaurants are not complying with
the law by allowing minors to smoke Baraku or Sheesha tobacco
and drink alcoholic herbal liquors, officers went out to investigate
on Tuesday evening. According to the law such places have to
have a permit to allow them to offer the fruit flavoured tobacco.
Despite many shutdowns, many unauthorized operations have
sprung up in Pattaya, especially around the Arab quarter near
Walking Street. Before being granted a license, an operator is
required to submit details of the bar for inspection. On this
occasion, even though operators tried to hide their equipment,
a total of 40 Hookahs and a large quantity of Sheesha tobacco
were confiscate