PDA

View Full Version : The day the music died

BonTong
January 25th, 2013, 17:22
Four long years ago, and on the eve of the fiftieth anniversary of Buddy Holly's death I was at a funeral. If you think this has nothing to do with gay Thailand, read this and think again. This could happen to anyone of us:

The day the music died (http://www.chiangmaicitynews.com/blog.php?id=1312)

Jellybean
January 25th, 2013, 18:22
What a strange coincidence, I was just thinking about David this morning. Although it is over 30 years since I last saw him, my thoughts turned towards him for no apparent reason and I had a very distinct memory of how soft his skin was.

With regard to yaa-b├вa, and those who use this drug, I think it is worth reminding ourselves, from time to time, of the potential dangers of bringing strangers; especially those who we may suspect are drug users, into our homes, or even our hotel bedrooms whilst in Thailand.

As I said on another, related, post, R.I.P. David.

Halfhansum
January 26th, 2013, 02:15
That is so awful, I cant even imagine the terror that the poor guy must have gone through ..
A few months ago, there was another murder of a guy, in i think Vietnam ? And the two low-life's
actually filmed it on their phone ...
Does anyone know what sentence these scum got ?

BonTong
February 3rd, 2013, 13:36
Another take on the story here Chiang Mai Gay News - The day the music died (http://www.gayinchiangmai.com/News/2013/day-the-music-died-2/)

Khor tose
February 3rd, 2013, 15:45
Another take on the story here Chiang Mai Gay News - The day the music died (http://www.gayinchiangmai.com/News/2013/day-the-music-died-2/)

Yes, but you are not being completely fair to at least one bar at night bazaar. If the boy is known to the owner and you ask him, he will tell you whether or not it is safe to take the boy home. The owner of that bar "Secrets" is trustworthy and friendly to his customers. Really not fair of you to tar him by just saying night bazaar bars.

BonTong
February 4th, 2013, 08:02

Yes, but you are not being completely fair to at least one bar at night bazaar. If the boy is known to the owner and you ask him, he will tell you whether or not it is safe to take the boy home. The owner of that bar "Secrets" is trustworthy and friendly to his customers. Really not fair of you to tar him by just saying night bazaar bars.

The article linked to does not mention "night bazaar", it only says "Sleaze Alley" the, now pretty much defunct enclosed alley right behind the D2 Hotel. Secrets bar is no longer in that location having moved a year back (their anniversary party was last week - I would have gone if it hadn't rained :crybaby: ). The bar most implicated in this sad episode, who's manager at the time made statements about the boys involved, closed a couple of years ago.

Notwithstanding the semantics, your point is simply not relevant in this case. A couple of the boys responsible for David's murder were well known to the manager of the bar involved (and likely to the manager of Secrets Bar too ;) ). They were also known to David himself. No one expected they would turn out to be cold blooded killers!

However, your advice to ask the bar owners (and also some regular customers) for a character reference on any freelancer you plan to engage is of course good common sense. And I agree, "Secrets Bar" would probably be one of the better places to do that (though they might be able to offer an opinion, I doubt in the case of freelancers they would have copies of the boys ID or work permit). However, the moral of the story is there are ALWAYS risks in taking a boy from a bar, go-go, massage, Gay romeo, Thapae gate, Muang Mai or wherever. Boys come and go often - so there will always be someone who has to risk the "unknown". Moreover, even purportedly "good boys" can turn into the devil incarnate when excessively "amped up". :idea1: As demonstrated by a recent violent incident at none other than the super safe "Secrets Bar".... :8(

At least in the case of Chiang Mai's go-go bars the owners should, in theory, have a copy of the boys ID and Tabien Ban, and in the case of non-Thais' have a work permit for them. Again, no guarantees, but it does reduce the risks.

Khor tose
February 4th, 2013, 10:54
A
The article linked to does not mention "night bazaar", it only says "Sleaze Alley" the, now pretty much defunct enclosed alley right behind the D2 Hotel. Secrets bar is no longer in that location having moved a year back (their anniversary party was last week - I would have gone if it hadn't rained :crybaby: ). The bar most implicated in this sad episode, who's manager at the time made statements about the boys involved, closed a couple of years ago.

Moreover, even purportedly "good boys" can turn into the devil incarnate when excessively "amped up". :idea1: As demonstrated by a recent violent incident at none other than the super safe "Secrets Bar".... :8

There you go again. It isn't just in what is said but what is left out. Yes, tit was the old sleeze alley, but you make it sound current and do not distinquish between the good bars and the bad bars. Secondly, you somehow fail to mention the recent violent incident as Secrets did not involve a customer and the perp was know to everyone, including the police as a nut case, but was still allowed to sell food out of his cart there. Third Secrets gets far more customers then most, if not all, of the bars in the area and probably will have an incident just based on volume which makes it the same as any other place in Thailand. A country with 20,000 gun murders a year isn't a safe place to begin with. Should we all go home? Truthfully, I suspect you are engaged in a personal vendetta and not giving good advice in this instance.

BonTong
February 4th, 2013, 12:26
A

Moreover, even purportedly "good boys" can turn into the devil incarnate when excessively "amped up". :idea1: As demonstrated by a recent violent incident at none other than the super safe "Secrets Bar".... :8

There you go again. It isn't just in what is said but what is left out. Yes, tit was the old sleeze alley, but you make it sound current and do not distinquish between the good bars and the bad bars. Secondly, you somehow fail to mention the recent violent incident as Secrets did not involve a customer and the perp was know to everyone, including the police as a nut case, but was still allowed to sell food out of his cart there. Third Secrets gets far more customers then most, if not all, of the bars in the area and probably will have an incident just based on volume which makes it the same as any other place in Thailand. A country with 20,000 gun murders a year isn't a safe place to begin with. Should we all go home? Truthfully, I suspect you are engaged in a personal vendetta and not giving good advice in this instance.

Hilarious! First you miss quote the article in an attempt to promote Secrets bar, you then resort to a defamatory personal attack and accuse me of having a personal vendetta about something that YOU brought up. Neither the article, or this thread mentioned any bar by name. Finally you accuse me of giving bad advice when I was actually agreeing with your advice! Unbelievable.

Furthermore, the article and my OP on this thread both make crystal clear that this all happened FOUR YEARS AGO, I don't see how anyone could think that was current news. If anyone has some agenda here it is not me, and I find it particularly distasteful that you've chosen to use a thread that was in memorium of someone who died in tragic circumstances to attack me.

Just for the record, the only sentence in the article referring to any of this simply stated: "It was a brutal and senseless murder perpetrated by three hill tribe bar boys that heтАЩd met in Chiang MaiтАЩs Sleaze Alley, befriended and let stay in his home." The words "Sleaze Alley" are linked to a gay guide which makes clear that Secrets Bar is not in Sleaze Alley. The whole sentence is a matter of fact that can be read in numerous news publications that came out at the time. And the international press certainly didn't "distinquish between the good bars and the bad bars" SIC

Khor tose
February 5th, 2013, 08:47
Hilarious! First you miss quote the article in an attempt to promote Secrets bar
I am travellng at the moment in northern Thailand with some farang friends, so really don't have the time to give your the reply you deserve, but your opening made it clear what you are trying to do. No I am not trying to promote Secrets, but to defend them from your attacks, but you are right in that promoting is the name of the game. You are not engaging in a personal vendetta, but trying to get people to come to your out of the way bar, by slinging mud at a good bar that gets more business in one Friday night then you get all month, This whole thing of yours of knocking the night bazaar bars and associating them with violence and underaqge is exactly what all is about. Gee, isn't there any way you could plaster your name on several other places in your messages on this board. What a cheap way to advertise your bar, by slammng a good bar with good people. When i return I will notify the farang owner of your post, but he is too old and laid back to go after you, but If I owned that bar I would sue you,. I know this, as long as that crap---and that is what it is--is on your web site I will never direct anyone to it again. Believe me I have much more to add and will when I return. It is about time to tell people the whole story and I will.

Khor tose
February 6th, 2013, 16:05
Recently someone posted this video on utube and it was referenced by a member of this board.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67nd4HZ9 ... _embedded# (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67nd4HZ9844&feature=player_embedded#)!

I was at this bar when this was filmed and I can tell you this was a set up as I have never seen a child preyed upon, or "offed at this one bar that is located near the night bazaar. This bar was in sleaze alley for a five years with these owners, in the front where everyone could see what took place in this bar, and in all that time no one ever brought any accusation of child molestation against this bar. For the last year it and one other bar moved to the night bazaar area, but close to their old home. One of these bars has a pool table that is free to all the young men and the occasional minor who come by for free plays. They used to be all Akha tribe boys, but I now believe that has changed. Two very young flower boys who must do 50 bars a night, and have been doing so for years, stopped and played pool, and were suddenly joined by this other boy (Tony?) and a man who was filming the whole thing. I watched to make sure this was not some creep collecting boy photos but he soon went away. Someone had to direct this man to this bar, but for the record, I have no idea who it could have been. Logic might also suggest that if someone was out to stop child molestation they would be filming the men who do pick up boys at Taepae gate. All I know is that no-one who knows this bar or the good people who own it, in my opinion, would think this film was real and post it like it was a true story. I am reminded that Scottish guy is always saying be careful about these NGOs that make up stories to raise money, Apparently it does happen. As for me, I have absolutely no tolerance for child molestation and would never bother to defend or condone it in any form. One reason i choose this bar as one I like to go to.