View Full Version : The Lights Come Down in Boyztown

Neal
January 25th, 2013, 11:18
Well I thought I would never see the day but I was sitting having breakfast at the Ambiance and watched as a few strands of bulbs and wires came down for what I believed was the monthly ritual of bulb changing. It suddenly occured to me that there were too many wires and too many bulbs being lowered and no new boxes of bulbs to be seen so I had to out and see what was happening. Well the circus lights are down on Soi 3and not going back up I am happy to say.

frequentflier
January 25th, 2013, 11:35
Might I ask why you are happy that the lights have been taken down??
If the was the big sign I would agree but the lights??

Neal
January 25th, 2013, 15:53
Because they were something out of the 60's or 70's and it looked like a circus. Sometimes things unfortunately need to change and this was one that people did not want to change. Either new lighting or some other idea was needed. Do you keep the sme decor in your home for 30 years?

Oliver
January 25th, 2013, 18:49
Boyztown certainly benefits from offering a vibrant welcome to visitors. I suggest that the bar-owners' money would be well-spent on suitable lighting and displays.
My second visit here was in February 1996 and the Chinese New Year lights and lanterns were still up....the soi looked incredibly exciting, particularly to someone who had just spent four dark hours (sic) in a taxi from the old airport. That was before the motorways, of course. Not to mention twelve hours on a plane.
I don't think I've ever seen it looking so good.

frequentflier
January 25th, 2013, 22:38
I have always liked the lights,they create a nice ambiance in the evening.The soi will look dull without them.Hopefully they will be replaced with something similar.

newyorkgeorge
January 27th, 2013, 16:58
quite agree, they looked drab and tired, but now it is pretty dull down there, so hopefuly they will replace them?

egel
January 27th, 2013, 21:19
so hopefuly they will replace them?
With Fairy Lights?

February 2nd, 2013, 18:58
So, just out of interest and for those of us not currently in Thailand can someone local tell us so were the lights ever replaced with new lights in the end ( or some other form of glittering fabulous gay illumination ) or is the street now in the same relative darkness to every other Soi, if so I'm sure it's all the sadder looking for it :-(

Neal
February 2nd, 2013, 19:28
It's nowhere near "sadder looking" still lit up by all the neon signs etc. It just doesn't look like a 1970's circus. I m sure they will get together and do some other decorating in the next few months.

rifraf
February 2nd, 2013, 19:50
I was in Boyz Town last night and have to agree that it is still the sexiest looking soi in Pattaya. I especially like it when they decorate the area for Chinese New Year. It then looks both sexy and classy. As to the circus effect, the hoards of wide-eyed Chinese tourist goups with cameras in hand, who trapise through Boyz Town and Pattayaland are undoubtedly doing their best to keep that aspect very much alive. Very unfortunate, indeed.

February 2nd, 2013, 20:04
I would look over it if there was something to actually SEE ! But what, a load of bored tired massage boys half heartedly mumbling "massage" to everyone and anyone that walks past and a load of older farang guys all sitting around watching each other drink, I really don't get the attraction.

Jellybean
February 3rd, 2013, 14:42
. . . they were something out of the 60's or 70's and it looked like a circus.

I note that Neal describes the lighting that has been removed as, тАЬ. . . something out of the 60тАЩs and 70тАЩs . . .тАЭ. I was just wondering, what is the modern day equivalent? Is it spotlights, lasers, neon lighting or something completely different. I would be genuinely interested to know.

And does anyone think that whoever was responsible for authorising the removal of the lighting has a plan in place for putting up an alternative?

Neal
February 3rd, 2013, 15:15
Today's lighting is LED, those small miniture lights. Have some small trees or other nice greenery on the street and led lights within. Also there is not one that authorizes the lighting, they work as a team and make decisions jointly. y contacts there tell me that they are still looking for something that would look better.