PDA

View Full Version : Le Cafe Royale Hotel up for sale?

davidsobe
January 24th, 2013, 05:45
Some locals in Pattaya said that Le Cafe Royale Hotel is up for sale. An asking figure of around 70 million bahts has been mentioned. That is $2.3 million USA. Can anyone confirm this? :scratch:

lonelywombat
January 24th, 2013, 06:19
I have often wondered why something was not done by the estate , to improve the business for sale. my conclusion was there was nothing left to spend.

I am not sure what role David maintained as he was until late last year also managing his former bar, and more often seen down there than in his own place.

The interesting thing was the split between the two hotels Copa and LCR back to separate hotels. I never understood the reason . Maybe it might start to come out now.

frequentflier
January 24th, 2013, 22:45
its for sale for 45 million baht.

frequentflier
January 25th, 2013, 04:13
Statement from LCR.re sale.

stevehadders
January 25th, 2013, 18:24
Its good to see , at least, that the owners are being transparent (it is posted on their website also). Lets hope the process is swift, so as not to cause too much instability.

psd1315
January 25th, 2013, 21:27
IтАЩm interested in a possible partnership, let me know if your looking. Send me a message.
Thanks, David

dab69
January 27th, 2013, 08:17
damn, only one year from now I can withdraw my 401K pension without penalty.

Still remember Ian saying he wouldn't sell for less than
3(?) million pound sterling.

January 27th, 2013, 08:27
Don't worry Dab 69. With its current management at the helm, it will still be for sale! :sign5:

aot871
January 27th, 2013, 15:39
The trouble with buying the cafe is the amount of money that will need to be spent afterbuying it. 75% of the bedrooms nee to be upgraded. Then a new manager for the hotel will have to be found. While Tom is a decent guy He is an ex school teacher never having worked in the hotel business before, and is never seen in the hotel after about 1pm. When Ian Mc knight was the manager , he was around from about 8am untill 5pm. Also there is too many staff on at night, it has never changed its staff numbers since the hotels glory days when Ian and Robbie owned it

newyorkgeorge
January 27th, 2013, 17:05
Did you say 45 million? or 4.5 million? if it's the later i'm interested, if it's the former, they must be bonkers! 45 million for what? an empty bar & restaurant, a delapadated hotel with very few customers, i have stayed there in the past, and the rooms were pretty tired then, over priced and very old beds! now days people don't need to stay in "gay hotels" all hotels are gay friendly, and i have never had a problem with bringing a boy back, most new ones are modern, well furnished, and are available at about half of what cafe royal charge, if someone (derranged!) does buy it, i hope they have very very deep pockets! beeter just give the money to a deserving charity!

Neal
January 27th, 2013, 17:24
NY George there is not only a post above saying 45 million but a PDF file atatched above from Cafe Royale saying 45 million.

lonelywombat
January 28th, 2013, 04:45
The 45 million for all fittings,stock and services is just about US1.5 million. This does not include the rental figure and that would be interesting.

Many years ago, Ian McKnight claimed all the land between and inclusive of Serene Hotel to Second Road, was owned by the Buddhist Church.

There has been no interference as far as I am aware, by the owners as to how the soi operates.

But it is useless for anybody that does not have experience in operating a hotel to even consider.

dab69
January 28th, 2013, 06:56
you have to look closely at the webpage index page.
the announcement is on a scroll that looks like a menu.

frequentflier
January 29th, 2013, 05:34
. This does not include the rental figure and that would be interesting.
If you read the statement it says it is Freehold...

arsenal
January 29th, 2013, 12:15
If it's freehold there is no rent to pay.

aot871
January 29th, 2013, 14:05
Not that im bothered , either way , but i was told in the past that the freehold belonged to the temple

lonelywombat
January 30th, 2013, 05:40
here is a copy of their notice. I don't believe they really understand the word freehold.
The rest is a direct quote from their ad
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,

In view of the rumours currently circulating with regards to Le Caf├й Royale we would wish to clarify the situation.

Le Caf├й Royale is being offered for sale at a price of 45 million baht.

This long established centrally situated superior accommodation 19 bedroom fully licensed Hotel/Restaurant/Bar is offered for sale total freehold.

The sale price includes all fixtures, fittings, infrastructure, and full Thai registered company rights.

As previously stated, we wish to dispel any inaccurate rumours.

If you have any interest or questions please feel free to contact us and also share this information.

Best regards,

David and Tom

newyorkgeorge
January 30th, 2013, 14:24
Don't worry Dab 69. With its current management at the helm, it will still be for sale!

I agree with the other poster, tom and david are nice guys, but tom has no idea how to run a hotel, and david likewise with the bar/restaurant, if they did, it wouldn't be up for sale, but how can you possibly get a return on your investment when the place is empty! :dontknow:

ultimo
January 30th, 2013, 16:41
You are being very presumptious as to why the place is up for sale. You no doubt have some greater information than the rest of us in presuming the place isnt making a return on investment!!
Maybe the owner,who is actually straight, is fed up with listening to too many bitchy people, like yourself, and just wants out. Maybe it does not fit in to his portfolio of investments any longer. Ever thought about it in that way?
Pray tell us about your successful ventures in NYC so that we may judge your capabilities of running a place. The fact that you thought it was only worth 4.5mill would have me worried about your business talents!!

frequentflier
January 30th, 2013, 22:29
I hope someone buys it soon.It could do with an inflow of money to upgrade some of the rooms and maybe add a penthouse or two.I have stayed there many times,as recently as Christmas and the New year.They have spent money on parts of it and it shows.
The management and staff are very helpful and I wish them all the best for what must be a worrying time for them.

pepperami
January 31st, 2013, 01:25
The management and staff are very helpful and I wish them all the best for what must be a worrying time for them.

+1
My favorite place to stay in Pattaya, and its the staff that make it a home from home.

February 3rd, 2013, 22:26
Hahaha, I know the manager. Everything is always for sale at the right price. You have money to much? Invest it in such. Loosing money garanteed!

newyorkgeorge
February 4th, 2013, 21:04
You obviously have not been in the place lately, and sadly, nor has anyone else! that's why it's up for sale, because it is empty, you do not have be a businees genius to work that one out, empty bar and hotel= no money! everybody knoews that the place has been losing huge bucks for many years now, i guess the owner got fed up ploughing the baht into it?

ultimo
February 4th, 2013, 23:38
Actually I was in there tonight and I would think there would have been around 70 punters in there. Obviously you were not!
As I said earlier, I definitely would search for business advice elsewhere than from you. Have you tried to put in the 4.5 million bid yet?

adman5000
February 5th, 2013, 00:59
Although I have not visited this year, I always stay at either the Ambiance or Le Cafe Royale when visiting PTY. I have been treated well at both establishments. I know there are more economical places to stay, but I find the location about as convenient as it gets. I am admittedly a creature of habit and feel comfortable when I know the staff, know the area, know where to find what I am looking for, know they will help me if I need it. I don't know anything about the success of their business formula but always felt it was fairly well run for a place in Thailand from a customer viewpoint. I am sure there are many reasons it could be up for sale and wish them the best of luck.

latintopxxx
February 5th, 2013, 03:46
...stay in the gay red light district....no thanks...at night its passable with the bright lights and cute "boys"...but during the day time it resembles a ghetto and smells like one...always stay at Jomtein...beach front...quiet at night....walks along a passable beach...spend the day on the beach...baht bus runs all day and night so access to Pattaya real easy.

adman5000
February 5th, 2013, 07:11
Different strokes for different folks. If I want beach, I go to a real one as your description of daytime Pattayaland is how I view Jomtien. When I off a guy, I much prefer to walk back to my room rather than to wait and ride a baht bus. But I will ride the baht bus during the day if I decide to visit the beach. I do not spend much time in Pattayaland during the day. I am normally at the mall or movies. Maybe next time I will reverse it and give it a try.

newyorkgeorge
February 5th, 2013, 16:48
Numbskull. last night they had a charity party, go there tonight, business as usual, ie: empty. And there is no point me putting a bid in, unless you could redevelop the buildings, why would you want to waste 4.5 million, let alone 45! :sign5:

loke
February 5th, 2013, 22:29
If I win the lottery I will buy it . First prize тВм 10 mill ;)

Then I will tear the place down and rebuild it .

ultimo
February 5th, 2013, 23:03
NYG. Yes you are correct .it was a charity event. Are you suggesting no money was to be made by Caf├й Royale on that night? (you do not have be a businees genius to work that one out, empty bar and hotel= no money!) So you also know the occupancy rate as well, at this moment eh! If you are genuine I am sure that you could find out if you could develop it. But you seem to be all talk and little action. Probably could not even afford the 4.5 million.

stevehadders
February 6th, 2013, 16:30
Well let me throw my thoughts into the melting pot! I have visited Pattaya for a number of years now, around 15 I do believe, and started at the relatively young age (for Pattaya ) of 28. I have stayed largely at Le Cafe for most of my visits. When I first visited it was the good days of Ian Reid, Ian Mc Knight and of course Robbie. Soi 3 (BT) was really thriving with a busy piano bar at LCR every night, but at the same time Jomtien and Sunnee were nowhere near as developed for the gay businesses like they are today, and neither was Soi 2 or Soi1 for that matter. The complete landscape has changed, in my opinion.
To be fair to Le Cafe there has been investment in the rooms over the last couple of years (at least executive room upwards, not sure about standard rooms), which was well needed, as well as installation of the lift etc. The location is superb for me, as I like the accessibility to the malls during the day (if I wanted to be near a beach I would go to Krabi not Jomtien, hence I visit Jomtien every couple of days), and the terrace is still popular and good place to people watch, with friendly staff etc. The problem they have, is what to do with the piano bar, and I dont think there is an easy answer - everybody remembers the good old days, but those are gone with the choice available today........if you sit and look at Ambiance for example, you dont see many people sat on the terrace, and virtually noone in their coffee shop/restauarant so I guess they have the same issue! The piano bar is packed during events like charity nights, anniversary etc etc, and so the answer may be to just open it then, and just serve on terrace/coffee shop at other times concentrating on the Hotel. Now, if we take it as a 19 bed Hotel with a terrace bar,is it worth 45M, that is another question........but I guess you never pay the asking price!

newyorkgeorge
February 9th, 2013, 18:47
NYG. Yes you are correct .it was a charity event. Are you suggesting no money was to be made by Caf├й Royale on that night? (you do not have be a businees genius to work that one out, empty bar and hotel= no money!) So you also know the occupancy rate as well, at this moment eh! If you are genuine I am sure that you could find out if you could develop it. But you seem to be all talk and little action. Probably could not even afford the 4.5 million.

Obviously you know nothing about business's here in LOS, most charity nights are run for that reason "charity" most establishments barely cover their costs at these events, ask any of the bar owners, and yes, i could afford 4.5 million, but not 45 million, but either way, i can think of far better investments than this one, if it's such a bargain, why hasn't anyone bought the place yet?

ultimo
February 12th, 2013, 10:01
Deleted. Flaming.

Geezer
February 12th, 2013, 15:37
The quality of posting on this board has deteriorated. Reading it is not a pleasant experience. Presumably the private message feature of this board is still available for those who wish to abuse others.

Some time ago I was talking to a friend who manages various boards only one of which was gay. I asked him if other boards were as bitchy as gay boards. He answered that indeed they were not. His single gay board contained more bitching than all the others combined.

February 12th, 2013, 16:46
Hmmmm I do take your point Geezer - but I for one do not regard SGF as some kind of learned journal for professional pooves called Claude or Cedric.

I see SGF rather as a jocular online magazine - where one can find both interesting information and good old knockabout custard pie fights between the regulars.

There are far worse Thailand- oriented gay fora out there - where all they do is (illiterately) bitch and talk about "darting people up the arse"

TOQ
February 12th, 2013, 17:03
Now tell me please, what is wrong with an occasional nice game of darts?

February 12th, 2013, 17:25
Well.....when the bullseye is all dried-up, shrivelled and crusty...........

:sign5:

stevehadders
February 26th, 2013, 22:59
Has there been any developments? I noticed the "For Sale" banner that was on their website is no longer there.......any information would be interesting