PDA

View Full Version : What music do you listen to in Thailand?

Jellybean
January 15th, 2013, 17:58
So I ask the question - What music do you listen to when in Thailand and why?

I brought a selection of CDs out with me and do so on every trip. I like to listen to music whilst swimming, doing light exercise or prior to going out.

This time I brought my favourite club music of all time тАУ HRG тАЬHe never lost his hardcoreтАЭ. It still gives me the goose-bumps when I listen to it.
It reminds me of the club called Trade at Turnmills, in London. It was the clubтАЩs anthem and was always a great favourite when played.

I think it was the first nightclub in the UK to be given a 24 hour license in 1990. At the time it seemed totally weird to be going to a club at 3.00am and leaving at 1.00pm. It was the best gay club in the world, and I am correct in every respect in this matter! :sign5: I spent the best 10 years of my life going to that club.

I once was able to go into the club before it opened to the public and I saw all the staff gathered on the dance floor and watched as they did the sort of ritual you see super stars and world famous bands perform just before they go on stage. The DJ then played тАЬHe never lost his hardcoreтАЭ at full volume in an empty club . . . wow!

I also brought out a Tony DeVitt CD, Tony, sadly is now deceased, was one of the star DJs at Trade

Another CD that I brought out for the first time is the тАЬQueer as FolkтАЭ two CD compilation from the UK TV series. I hadnтАЩt listened to it for some time and was surprised to hear the Divine song тАЬYou think youтАЩre a manтАЭ. It brought a flood of memories back to the times I saw Divine perform at the nightclub Heaven in London. I recall that he always used to say, тАЬFuck you very much!тАЭ at the end instead of the customary, тАЬThank you very much!тАЭ

I even saw him once at Kings Cross Station in London, out of drag of course, dressed in a suit and probably heading up north for another club performance.

The thought then occurred to me . . . I wonder if Neal has ever done drag. Hmm . . . I thought he would make a great Divine impersonator and IтАЩd definitely pay to see him, say at his former bar, Happy Place, on a charity night. So Neal, what do you think, are you up for lip-syncing to, тАЬYou think youтАЩre a manтАЭ and dressed and made up as Divine?

I wanted to insert a YouTube clip of Divine singing the above song at this point, but IтАЩm afraid I donтАЩt know how to. Can someone more technically proficient than me post the clip?

francois
January 15th, 2013, 18:20
I suppose there is a difference between listening to music and hearing it? All I hear is the music blasting in many of the go go bars and even more so in the sois of Sunee coming from every source.

Otherwise the only music I listen to is the bf singing and playing his guitar.

bing
January 15th, 2013, 21:43
HI -- When Memory Bar was in North Pattaya in the middle 1990s, it seems they played ' Broken Hearted Woman' by
Jessica Jay, 5 or 6 times a night. It got to me and is still my favorite song. You can find it on You Tube if you are not familiar with it. It is still one of the first songs I put on my MP3. You also might like 'By The Rivers of Babylon' by Boney M is also one of my toe tapping favorites. It can be found on You Tube as well.

Impulse
January 16th, 2013, 02:07
Just had all my music loaded on two of my ipods. Here is some of what is on it and I will be listening to in a couple of weeks from now.

Dead kennedys, Ramones, Shonen knife, Eno, Roxy Music, Early Genesis, Fat Boy Slim, T-Rex, Moby, Monkees, Buzzcocks, April March, Amanda Lear, Mott the Hoople, Killers, Slade, Sweet, Gold Frapp, Sparks, New york Dolls, Iggy pop, Bowie, Air, Lamahl, Baltimora, Fiction Factory, Rainbow, The Go Team, Velvet underground, Cheap trick, Mama Cass Eliot, Nancy Sinatra, Petula Clark, Soft Cell, Beach Bois, The Damned, Kraut, Primitives, Lou Reed, King Crimson,Turtles,

And since music and sex are from the same area of the brain, I would like to have an orgasim while listening to "Buy nothing Day" by the Go Team, which really puts me in another world.

January 16th, 2013, 05:31
Throbbing Gristle appeals to me - but I tend to steer clear of Revolting Cocks.

:occasion9:

Sooty
January 16th, 2013, 15:14
If there happens to be music programme on the BBC World Service then I go for that; otherwise my iPod stands me in good stead as it does at home.

cameroncat
January 18th, 2013, 08:12
My Thailand trips are when I finally get around to listening to all the new albums I have on my iPhone. Just don't seem to have time back at home...

anonone
January 18th, 2013, 08:41
If in the room, we usually have the Music lifestyle channel left on the TV.

Pretty good mix of music for us. Mostly Western dance / pop music with a good deal of Thai popular songs thrown in as well.
The only thing I don't get is the odd Christmas song interspersed, regardless of the time of year :dontknow:

The only time my iPod is in use is when relaxing on the beach, or during an early morning walk/jog.

fedssocr
January 18th, 2013, 10:34
I just either have my mp3 player or my phone.

But I always stock up on CDs of the Thai indie stuff that has come out since my last trip. And here at home I listen to Fat radio 98fm (now, used to be 104.5) to get a little taste of Thailand. Usually I will listen to BBC6 for a few hours and then change over to Fat in the afternoon at the office. Gotta love the internet for stuff like that! I use the TuneIn radio app on my phone to listen to those things.

Jellybean
January 18th, 2013, 12:02
But I always stock up on CDs of the Thai indie stuff that has come out since my last trip.

Thai music, now thereтАЩs a thing. I have quite a few Thai music CDs in my car. They were left there by one of my Thai ex-boyfriends. I had to endure them for the 6 hour drive up to i-saan and the 6 hour drive back to Bangkok and at all other times when we were driving around i-saan.

I remember saying to him on many an occasion, тАЬAre there no happy tunes?тАЭ They are seemed incredibly depressing to my ear . . . music to slit your wrists to I thought!

Maybe it was just his choice that was at fault, maybe other members have heard happy, uplifting, joyous tunes, but so far I havenтАЩt!

neoncrusade
January 20th, 2013, 04:34
I listen to Russian Orthodox chant in the morning to clear my head from the night before.

I then listen to Sun Ra while getting ready to go out in the evening so that I can be wide eyed before I get legless.

When I'm out with Thai friends I prefer to go to where I can listen to per cheewit.

Over the years I've brought home upwards of 50 Thai music CD's......LOSO still being my favourite.