View Full Version : Bangkok Help!

January 15th, 2013, 16:12
I do not understand Thai at all - and I have had experiences in the past where one letter in a street name can make all the difference and where No 20 in a street can be half a mile from No 19.

So, my question is this - are these 2 addresses anywhere near each other, is it the same road at all - or is that one letter the killer?

1. @ Home Hotel - 55/1 Soi Phetkasem 57 Phetkasem Road Laksong Bangkae, Thonburi - South, Bangkok, Thailand

2. Siam University - 38 Petkasem Road; Phasicharoen; Bangkae Bangkok 10160; Thailand

I have emailed the hotel, asking the question, but it is anybody's guess if they will understand my enquiry.

Thanks in advance to any Bangkokonians (or internet sleuths) who can shed some light.

:hello2:

cdnmatt
January 15th, 2013, 16:25
No idea if this is right or not, but: http://goo.gl/maps/QAEsL

If it's wrong, get angry at Google not me.

pong
January 15th, 2013, 18:46
Siam uni has 2 locations-I know those mainly from sitting in buses and whizzing past, so I cannot tell which one this is.
They MAY be pretty close, but chances are more that they are miles apart. Sois 38 and 55 are opposite sides but they are not neatly opposite (like 55-56 would be-they are not) Phetk is endless-its the old road leading to the seaside and the west, then south.
it also has ENORMOUS jams at the mo, as they have started works for extending the MRT=Metro (but as skytrain here), so former 3 lanes are now2 both ways.
BTS is extended in this/next week to somewhere along Phetkasem though-name is bangWA. But the main SIam is miles+more from there. JUst by that new end of BTS and along main rd Phetk there is a reasonable lookingnew HTL- name like Bed[s]@BTS or so- maybe agoda or booking/hotels.com can help with that.
(just by very coincidence my own sweet BF has started a study there-sundays only- for some newish style computer/programming thing, which I barely understand what it means)
Bang Khae is one of BKK's suburban districts, but it is NOT Thonburi (unless some ignorant one thinks all west of river is Thonb-it is not)
Do you have the postcode for that HTL? if also 10160, it should be at least less as 2-3 kms apart.

January 15th, 2013, 19:17
Thanks Matt - by that calculation it's 15km so no good to be near Siam University .

I've found another 3 hotels which seem to be way closer.

A House
273/169 Soi Tedthai 53 paseechaleon, Thonburi, Bangkok, Thailand 10160

14 Resort
2/1-3 Petkasem Road, Soi 35/1 Bangwaa, Pasicharoen, Bangkok 10160, Thonburi - South, Bangkok, Thailand

Bed by BST
134/12-14 Petchakasem Road Soi 26/1 , Pakkhlong Phasicharoen, 10160 Bangkok

Might be useful info for anybody wanting to stay in this area.

Prices $15-20

Thanks.

EDIT - Hi Pong, see above. I didn't know Siam University was split over 2 sites - jeez- that'll be another complication! If I had more hair, I'd tear it out.

AND I fucking hope your "sweet boyfriend" isn't mine as well! :sign5:

:evil4:

llz
January 15th, 2013, 23:42
The map linked above is not accurate ; your Hotel will be on Soi 57 and not at the pointed place (which is somewhere on a sub soi coming from Soi 81). So At Home Hotel Phetkasem will be much closer to the supposed location of Siam University.
You can check the Hotel location at http://www.agoda.com/asia/thailand/bangkok/at_home_phetkasem.html

January 16th, 2013, 01:51
Thanks llz but even with the amendment it's around 7km - the other ones are closer - the Bed by BST seems no more than 15 mins walk from Siam University.

BF will be looking at it tomorrow.

:hello2:

GWMinUS
January 16th, 2013, 07:15
OHHHHH
US$15-20 per night.
Poor Dad should have book there...
I am paying US$100 at Siam Heritage!!
:violent1: