PDA

View Full Version : Farangs and marijuana

Dax
January 12th, 2013, 12:14
Are farangs given a marijuana test when there is a raid in a bar or traffic stop? What are the consequences if you test positive?

Khor tose
January 12th, 2013, 13:44
Are farangs given a marijuana test when there is a raid in a bar or traffic stop? What are the consequences if you test positive?

Since Marijuana stays in the urine for at least 30 days I would say none, if you have been here under 30 days as what you do in your own country is none of their business. If they find the drug on you, I've heard that for 100,000 bht or less the evidence goes away, but only have this by word of mouth.

January 12th, 2013, 17:47
I my experiences of being around (Thai) testing they blatantly don't want to test farang just Thai, I assume this is as to "process" a farang if he tests positive might be a whole other ball game from quickly processing and bailing ( or bribing) a Thai.

The one time I WAS told to join a long line of Thais waiting for pee testing by a junior police officer while driving to Issan the senior officer nearly when went mad when he looked up and seen a farang standing in front of him as I reached the top of the queue and he immediately dispatched me back to my car again untested and even though he was speaking Thai i could tell he was tearing strips of his junior officer for putting me up the line in the first place.

So, whilst I wouldn't say it could never happen I don't think you've anything to fear from being in an area should a raid take place if that's what you're asking as in MY experience it is only Thai's the police are interested in, also I'm not even sure if the standard pee test they use picks up smoke anyway as I thought they were more designed / aimed at meth / ice / e / speed detection anyway?.

And just do you know when my last Thai friend failed the pee test for meth I think it cost (me) about 4000 baht on the spot to make it go away, so even if tested positive its not the end of the world - possession of course as someone else has mentioned is a whole other ball game and is the reason why I just wouldn't bother doing / holding ANYTHING whilst in Thailand personally as its just not worth the crap that unfolds around you if your caught and who's to say the .5 of a gram for personal use doesn't turn into something COMPLETELY different by the time you reach the station and all of a sudden you've BIG problems ahead.

And before anyone starts I'm not condoning drug use one way or the other, we're all adults here and people can make up their own minds what to do in life, I'm simply passing on my experience in answer to the OPs question.

pong
January 12th, 2013, 19:34
No- agree with NIguy.
BUT; in sevaral areas farang ARE checked for having such substance on them-in a rather old-style way. Empty your pockets. Ekamai busstation is very well known for it, but in general TongLor plice (=that district of BKK) is well known for shaking down farang.
AFAIK all farang sitting in prison in TH for drugs had more substantial amounts and types of that stuff on them. But I did not check each and every.

Dax
January 13th, 2013, 07:18
Thanks, guys. I appreciate the information. After about twenty years of not partaking of the evil weed I have been lighting up every so often with a couple friends and find myself enjoying it immensely. On past trips my BF and his friends would sometimes light up but I always declined fearing the big bad BIB. I just did not want to run afoul of the law and create stupid problems for myself in Thailand.

It's good to know what I can expect. Again, thank you.

anonone
January 13th, 2013, 09:49
I would caution that partaking of the "big bad weed" in Thailand is far different than having it in your system during a random drug screen.

Like NIrish, I am far from telling everyone that pot is evil and making judgements about its use, but I would be very nervous being around the actual drug in Thailand. There is a risk there. If the police become involved and you are accompanying / partaking in the drug use, my guess is you will face the consequences...as the one with the deepest pockets.

Be careful there....

Dax
January 13th, 2013, 12:07
Anonone: I am more concerned about traveling to Thailand with THC in my system and the subsequent problems I might encounter with the Thai legal sytem and our ever diligent BIB. I have never done drugs in any country but the good ole USA and then only marijuana.....I think. All kidding aside, thank you for your note. Take care.

anonone
January 13th, 2013, 12:24
I understand Dax, but when you indicated BF and his friends would light up and you declined...I assumed you were with them during this time.

Just a friendly reminder to be careful. If the Police happen to take note, you will be thrown in with them regardless if you smoked it with them.

Dax
January 13th, 2013, 13:16
Anonone: The BIB are always in the back of my head. That is why I declined. I was not really thinking of potential complications further on down the road. I won't allow anyone to light up in my place. Thanks for opening my eyes. Khap kung ma kahp.

anonone
January 13th, 2013, 13:26
Mai bpen rai krap.

Just want everyone to have a fun, hassle free time

Chok dii krap