PDA

View Full Version : Getting Custom Tailored Suits Made

bruce_nyc
January 9th, 2013, 11:58
I heard that one can get custom tailored suits made at super reasonable prices in Thailand. Is this true? How is the quality? How are the prices? Styles? Can anyone recommend a great place to go for this... especially if it's in Pattaya...?

pong
January 9th, 2013, 17:44
ANY tourist area in the whole of Th is now pestered with those Indian taylors-with just eyes open you cannot help seeing them anywhere a bigger HTL sprouts up. Their only advantage is they speak good english. For the rest: caveat emper- the cheaper the price, the worse the quality.
BTW-most are not Indian, but even poorer Nepali or Burmese.

January 9th, 2013, 19:40
Bruce there's a genuine tailoring shop / tailor shop area just up the Soi which runs up the the side of Tuk Com ( the side of the karoke bar). As pong has mentioned there are a wealth of shops who claim to be tailors but are simply agents who then take your order to the tailor himself and I guess work on a margin ( which to be fair there is nothing wrong with as long as you get what you want) but personally I like going to the guy who IS making the suit so that HE can measure me correctly and allow for my bugling muscles etc ( ha yeah I mean belly there of course lol).

So I suggest you try that shop ( you can see the guys physically making the suits out the back whilst there) and if you don't like there for any reason there seems to be a host of other small sweat shop type places all within that area you can have a look at too. Oh re cost I asked when I was there last week and was given a ball park figure of ┬г100 British Pounds for a made to measure suit, however you can negotiate a better price if you're buying a few and don't forget you can add in the extra pair of trousers to make the suit last longer and get them to make you some nice shirts to go with your new suits while you're there as you'll buy them cheaper there than off the rail perhaps even !

Hope that helps.

January 9th, 2013, 21:15
I tried a number of the tailoring shops over the years - but the very best one was the first one I ever used and I no longer go anywhere else.
I am still occasionally wearing suits I bought there 11 years ago and they are still good.

It's more or less opposite Boyztown at the main road side of BT (ie not the Beach road side) - cross the road and walk past the mini-soi which leads to the Welcome Plaza, and in about 100 yards you'll see the shop.

The name of the shop is NINO FASHION and the Telephone number (off the label in my jacket) is 038 - 423347.

NIrish is right - some of the tailor shops are appalling and I have received jackets/shirts cut so frugally that I could hardly breathe out, or arms that were cut 2 or 3 inches too short! Of course I refused to pay in such circumstances and they have had to remake the whole item, but I was never happy with the goods.

The shop I am pointing you to, I highly recommend.

:hello2:

adman5000
January 10th, 2013, 00:52
Bruce- I have been very happy with the quality and especially the fit of things I have had tailor-made in Thailand. I bought mine in BKK. I especially like the tailored shirts. BUt I have also purchased suits (many come with two pairs of pants), sports jackets, etc. Because I bought a lot and did not feel like hauling it around and back with me, I had mine shipped back to the USA for a reasonable price.

My favorite place fitted me on day 1, had me come back on morning of day 2 and tried the outline on, then came back for final fit end of day 2. I liked this as it made sure everything was a good fit.

I am traveling now but will post the name of the shop when I return next month.

Magnum
January 10th, 2013, 02:02
It's not an insider, but if you stay in BKK go directly to Rajawongse Clothier by Jesse & Victor. WOW, I love their suits. I'm tall and it's hard to find fitting suits/shirts for me, but Jesse&Victor have. I often get compliments for my suits. There are cheaper ones but they are really worth it. Suit about 12.000B.

Neal
January 10th, 2013, 02:23
If ever in BKK along the river, there is a clothier called "Boss" and he was just down that soi from Shangri-la. Thee are several up there but over time I had tried them and th sucked with quality of material. I tried Boss and was able to wear his casual shirts and things for many years. His stuff as he always said was a few bucks more but it was done correctly and professionally. Highly recommended!

The shirts are perm press and high quality material. The stuff I get in most othe places was garbage.
PS The tailor on Soi 2 Pattayaland called Robinson's after a couple of tries is way off my list. Poor quality poor workmanship and no desire to make the fittings correctly. Alo put the tags on the "outside" of the shirts which looked stupid but great for his advertising. :tongue3:

dab69
January 10th, 2013, 03:11
not much for suits here but the tailor shops have great selections of shirts in good style and cool comfort.
Damn malls there seem to have T-shirts mostly and WAY overpriced shirts that require ironing.

January 10th, 2013, 17:39
@ Neal and Dab - ah HELLO what's all this about buying shirts that don't even require ironing, have you not read the back of your gay club membership cards where it states you must ensure that you look 'FABULOUS" at all times and non ironed shirts are for the lazy str8's out there who have giving up caring anymore, I'll look over it this time but anymore of this shoody behaviour and I may have to report to both to the gay mafia for some direct action to be taken ( and I dont mean them nipping out to your condo's to do a quick spot of ironing and sewing on of sequins for you - non iron shirts indeed - shame on you both !! lol

January 10th, 2013, 18:18
If the thread is mutating into how to look "fabulous" and what are the most fashionable clothes to wear in order to attract that special prostitute - then until we hear from His Royal Highness the Grand Narcissist himself (aka Bucknaway) - I can not take it seriously

:party

dab69
January 17th, 2013, 07:18
watching USA Science channel "How DO They Do It?". They featured Raja's in BKK as THE place to go.
unfortunately they didn't mention what street/area.