PDA

View Full Version : Old Threads

Neal
January 6th, 2013, 23:09
I have now gotten a little ahead of all the things I wanted to do first and recently have been looking and reading old threads. Many of the topics are still questions that are relevant til today and I think them very interesting. Sure I know you can take time and paw through them and find many of those topics but I thought it might be of service to you if every week I took about 5 or so good old threads and bumped them to current for you to read nd even still comment on. Sure I also know several of you don't like when old threads are pushed to the current area but I think it good to look at. What do you guys think of this?

Liamog
January 7th, 2013, 00:04
I think it would be a good idea. Guess we're all bound to have missed some that might be of interest. And if someone doesn't want to read them they don't have to.

cdnmatt
January 7th, 2013, 00:31
I wouldn't recommend it, but just my opinion. Sometimes the past belongs just there, the past.

Some of the threads contain various stories, emotions, arguments, and opinions which people may not want to be reminded of.

Thai Dyed
January 7th, 2013, 00:53
I wouldn't recommend it, but just my opinion. Sometimes the past belongs just there, the past.

Some of the threads contain various stories, emotions, arguments, and opinions which people may not want to be reminded of.

"The moving hand writes, and having writ moves on. Neither all your tears, nor all your wit, shall lure it back to erase half a line, nor change a word of it." -Omar Khayyam, Rubaiyat

Neal
January 7th, 2013, 01:41
I am not focusing on all threads or hreads that really have arguemnts. I am referring to threads that contain questions and discussion thaat were just as relevant then as they are today. I can preface the titles to say OLD so that if people do not want to read them they realize it is just like a record, an oldie but a goodie.

Daniel-old
January 7th, 2013, 02:07
I would give it a go Neal. If there's no real interest, nothing is spoiled by discontinuing the practice.

Mancs
January 7th, 2013, 02:46
I would read them- a lot of material stays relevant.

billy2bs
January 7th, 2013, 03:06
Well my Old Threads I usually gather up at the end of the winter. put then into a box, and bring them down to the Goodwill store where they are put to use by some needing people. :party

Jellybean
January 7th, 2013, 13:52
I think it would be a good idea. Guess we're all bound to have missed some that might be of interest. And if someone doesn't want to read them they don't have to.

I think Liamog summed it up nicely for me. I donтАЩt think IтАЩve anything to usefully add to his post.

Khor tose
January 7th, 2013, 16:12
This obviously isn't a poll. The board owner can do as he pleases, but it sounds all to much like something Beachlover would do on a regular basis and not my cup of tea.

Neal
January 7th, 2013, 16:17
This obviously isn't a poll. The board owner can do as he pleases, but it sounds all to much like something Beachlover would do on a regular basis and not my cup of tea.

Yes, I understand that ultimately I can do as I please but I asked for opinions. Now about the second part about this is something Beachlover would do....would you care to explain yourself as that went right over my head.

Khor tose
January 7th, 2013, 22:03

Yes, I understand that ultimately I can do as I please but I asked for opinions. Now about the second part about this is something Beachlover would do....would you care to explain yourself as that went right over my head.
I'm sorry Neal, I thought you knew that Beachlover was and is famous for opening old topics. Really, I have not made this up---help somebody.

January 7th, 2013, 23:30
I have to support KT on this - re-opening old threads is one of Beachlover's trademarks.

Neal
January 8th, 2013, 00:11
Well whether an old topic is re-opened or not was not really what was on my mind. The thought that:

A. Yes, some of these threads do get discussed over and over and over probably does happen BUT

B. Some are just fun to read as they apply to today.

I assure you that was all I was thinking of and that many of them would have the "bump" removed and they would be archived again within a week or so anyway and if they were interesting and had further comments, people would be able to add to them. As an owner, I just think I have an obligation to try to not only come up with topics but to keep things live and interesting, no? Now if you want me to try and tell you what gave me the idea I think I would now be at a loss as I sometimes even have trouble keeping my mind on what is at hand not to mention that it really seems that my spelling has gotten very bad since the stroke and I have to get spell chek activated on this new computer. I thought it was the computer and since I have purchased this new one it is doing all the misspellings here also, so it is obviously me.
Please bear with me til Choke comes over and does what he needs to do. :tongue3:

ceejay
January 8th, 2013, 06:07
If you think some threads are worth keeping (some of Christian's trip reports come to mind as an example) how about opening a new forum section for them, and making it read only so that no new posts can be made? Anyone who wanted to raise the subject again could start a new thread in the main forum.

adman5000
January 8th, 2013, 07:34
How about posting an example? To build upon the last idea, you could also categorize them such as trip reports, Thai habits and customs, or whatever and they could be used as resources rather than to beat a topic to death (once again).

Personally, I don't get too excited about old posts that someone reignites long after it was first written. I much prefer current updates and experiences.

Khor tose
January 8th, 2013, 08:52
If you think some threads are worth keeping (some of Christian's trip reports come to mind as an example) how about opening a new forum section for them, and making it read only so that no new posts can be made? Anyone who wanted to raise the subject again could start a new thread in the main forum.

Darn good idea--allow me to second this.

Neal
January 8th, 2013, 12:58
All threads are saved.
If you are interested in reading his old trip reports all you need to do is a serch under Cristianpfc trip reports. I if this is not what you mean then please re-word and try again or PM me.

ceejay
January 8th, 2013, 16:30
I gave Christian's trip reports only as an example. I was not suggesting a separate forum for them.

What I mean to suggest is that posts with a permanent value should be put in this read-only forum. They might be about trips to places most forum members have not visited or Thai cookery or how to book a long distance train or what a Thai ID card looks like and where you find the date of birth on it - anything where the value does not diminish with the passage of time. It would be of particular interest to new members (especially ones who have yet to visit Thailand) and anyone else who wants to browse around in it for ideas for new things to do and general information on Thailand and who is, maybe, looking for something new to see or do. A random collection of information like that could be a great resource - it's difficult to search for info on places you've never heard of and things you've never even thought of doing.

Neal
January 8th, 2013, 19:08
Sounds interesting as then people would then not necessarily have to look through all the garbage unless they wanted to. Big project but it can be done.

bruce_nyc
January 9th, 2013, 12:10
Old threads that are informative.... are just as good as new threads. Personally, I have no problem with anyone resurrecting old threads. The information will automatically get updated, as new replies correct old information and add new information to it. It is very beneficial. Old threads are as good as old books.

Additionally, all the old original contributors will be notified of new replies... and will update the information as needed... in response to new questions.

I think old threads very valuable tool... especially when it comes to answering those "Frequently Asked Questions" that keep coming up again and again and again. Why not keep all the answers to a single question... all in one thread... old or not...?

( If there are some old threads that should not be resurrected... Well, perhaps they should have been deleted long ago. Remember, old threads are still being read... regardless of whether or not they are replied to. Them being obscure to those who only read the NEW posts... does NOT make them obscure on Google searches... nor on Forum Searches... Like it or not, they ARE still being read by many many people. If they shouldn't be read... and they add no value... like arguments only for argument's sake, Perhaps they should be deleted. )

Neal
January 9th, 2013, 12:33
We have a no deletion or editing policy in force for the last few months and who is to decide what is to be kept? No tat won't work. Informative maybe in another area but nothing deleted.