PDA

View Full Version : money

paperboy
December 28th, 2012, 05:57
hi everyone

im planning a trip to siem reap in june, and when i see websites and reports, it seems they only accept USA dollars

so im comming from Europe and will have euros, whats the best thing to do, try and get some here in spain from the bank or wait until i get to thailand, or will they accepts euros too??
thanks for any advice

paperboy

Neal
December 28th, 2012, 06:03
They ook all sorts of money. Had exchange booths etc. The atms give out US dollars and that is what they use the most but they all have charts in their pockets for exchange fees. Dollars, Thai baht and Cambodian was what we used with no problems. From gasoline to 7 - 11's

pong
December 30th, 2012, 19:32
as Neal says-they acceptar todos.
BUT- you will also need to pay (the official price is 20 US$ cash) for an entry visum-you wikll pay far more in other money. Its wise to get a stack of cash US$-certainly if you can get the at a favorable rate in Espana- to cover that and other expense. Generally BIG amounts are done in US$-and small amounts/small change is done in Riel(as otherwise any small things tend to cost the one do-lah). In border areas-now incl. SReap -they will also take THB cash.

ceejay
December 31st, 2012, 16:22
It's better to get the dollars in Spain. If you get euros exchanged for dollars in Thailand you will get hit for 2 lots of exchange fees, because they will exchange the euros into Thai baht and then exchange these into dollars.
Get plenty of $1 and $5 bills. Large denomination notes are hard to use except for paying hotel bills and other larger purchases, simply because the vendors won't have change for them, or if they do, you will end up with a huge wad of Cambodian Riel. Make sure the dollars are new and crisp - if they are old and worn you may have trouble getting them accepted.

Neal
December 31st, 2012, 16:26
Best return is on a credit card or ATM as it gives you the true exchange rate but you can't use them everywhere so go to places you can use them.

Krazy4thai
January 5th, 2013, 18:33
I deliberately took enough US$ to cover my budgeted expenses. Luckily Igot a very favourable xge rate in Oz last July. $US is the preferred currency in cambodia, everything is priced US. Last year the standard xge rate they worked on was US$1 = 4000 riel. It was confusing at first as change is usually given as a mix of $$ and riel. Seems to me they treat riel much the same as other countries use coin. 1000r = 25c etc etc. I even recieved 100r notes on occassion 2.5c , hardly worth the paper they're printed on. Use them for disabled persons or kids that pester you (not recommended to give tids very often, or you'll end up with a permanent entourage) Kids tend to be ultra persistent in their quest for our cash.
I was told before I went that they'll only accept small notes 1 -5 , but that wasn't necessarily the case. Small business owners and eateries are quite willing to accept 10s & up, but 420 and above should be pristine or they may be refused, not always of course, best not to take the chance though. be aware there are still a few US$2 notes there, they are virtually worthless I dont understand why, they shouldn't be out there at all, One day I unwittingly tipped a boat driver on tongle Sap with a $2, (generous me I thought) until his face dropped and he asked if I had 2 ones. My guide then explained the situation.
so if asked for my advice it would be. Cange your Euros into what you think you might need before you go, get quite a few 1- 5-10s if you can ,for your first few days while you get used to the way they use currency there. I found that generally they understood some confusion on my behalf and were very patient as I stood there slowly counting the notes to work out what the heck was going on. Maybe I'm just thick :dontknow: :happy7:
No matter what the coversion rate of Euros to riel is, it is (or was) worked on US$1 = 4000 riel. (as at last July)

cheers

Sooty
January 6th, 2013, 08:41
When I went to Siem Reap I took plenty of USD in small denominations ($20 and below) and was pleased I did so as I didn't find anywhere including my guesthouse that took credit cards. I did notice a couple of banks in the Old Market area with (I think) ATMs but generally don't use my UK cards abroad and certainly not in the Land of Scams (Thailand) and in foreign ATMs generally; it's just too much trouble when the bank stops your card because they suspect (almost automatically when in Thailand) that it's being used fraudulently unless you've remembered to tell them before you go - and sometimes not even then. Cash is king and USD is infinitely preferred. Unfortunately if what you're buying ends up with a fraction of a dollar in the price you will get riel as change; I used them for tips.