PDA

View Full Version : Coloured People in Thailand

Monty-old
May 28th, 2006, 12:51
While in Perth I meet up with an old black friend, he asked me how Thai's will treat a Abo his words, (black fellah) in Pattaya as he will be visiting me next month.
I told him most Thai's don't care what colour you are, but I and the farlang will called you coloured.
He told me I was A bloody cheaky white fellah.
COUPLA TINGS YOU ORTA KNOW.
FIRSTLY,
WHEN I AM BORN, I'M BLACK.
WHEN I GROW UP , I'M BLACK.
WHEN I GET SICK, I'M BLACK.
WHEN I GO OUT IN THE SUN, I'M BLACK.
WHEN I'M COLD, I'M BLACK.
WHEN I GET SCARED, I'M BLACK.
AND WHEN I DIE I'M STILL BLOODY BLACK.

BUT YOU BLOODY WHITE FELLAH'S

WHEN YOU BORN YOU PINK.
WHEN YOU GROW UP, YOU WHITE.
WHEN YOU GET SICK , YOU GREEN.
WHEN YOU GO OUT IN TA SUN, YOU GO RED.
WHEN YOU GET COLD YOU GO BLUE.
WHEN YOU GET SCARED, YOU YELLOW.
AND WHEN YOU DIE, YOU PURPLE.

AND YOU GOT THE BLOODY CHEEK TO CALL ME COLOURED,,,,,,,

Then he laughed his head off, then bought me a beer.
and told me we gonna have a bloody good time, when this boody Abo queen gets to Pattaya.

catawampuscat
May 28th, 2006, 14:58
The Color Purple is a great movie and book and some of my best friends are purple.. Or it that pink??

May 28th, 2006, 16:27
Some of my friends each fish - often on Fridays. Does this make them Roman Catholics? However it certainly gives the lie to the notion that fish is brain food - how many intelligent Roman Cathoilics do you know?

lonelywombat
May 28th, 2006, 17:46
[quote="Monty"
and told me we gonna have a bloody good time, when this boody Abo queen gets to Pattaya.[/quote]

Does he do the chicken dance as well.

May 28th, 2006, 23:28
On Loyalty: The uses and abuses of a complicated virtue

National Review

, April 5, 1999 by Roger Scruton

Mr. Scruton, the philosopher, is author most recently of The Intelligent Person's Guide to Philosophy.

'If I had to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I should have the guts to betray my country." E. M. Forster's notorious words were published in 1951, after the Second World War. But they remind us of the period between the wars, when so many of Forster's upper-class literary friends became agents and fellow-travelers of the Communist party. When people like Burgess, Maclean, Philby, and Blunt betrayed their country, their choice was not between their country and their friends, but between their country and its enemy. Nevertheless, it was with romantic images of friendship that they justified their conduct. In the homosexual circle in which they moved-the "homintern," as W. H. Auden aptly described it-the image of "the friend" had a special attraction. The friend was the symbol of the only loyalty that mattered, a loyalty that was private, secret, nurtured in opposition to the world of normal people. All rival obligations-to spouse, parents, family, and country- counted for nothing, being merely the philistine requirements of middle-class bores.

Of course, it may be doubted whether the members of the homintern actually experienced the "higher" loyalty that inspired them. Their homosexual affairs seemed romantic only because they had to be concealed; in reality, the homintern were as fickle as any dealer in second-hand goods.

What mattered to them was not actual friends, but an ideal of friendship, whose charm consisted in the fact that normal society could not live up to it. Measured against this ideal, King and Country lost their claim to obedience. And to show their contempt for King and Country, the homintern threw in their lot with the Communists.

For the complete article (OK, you can only find the real article in the forum's archives):
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/ ... 2#continue (http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1282/is_6_51/ai_54460542#continue)

Surfcrest
May 29th, 2006, 00:22
Have we run out of Gay Thailand issues?
It appears as though this thread has little to do with Thailand, all be it this fellow is allegedly going to Pattaya.

I told him most Thai's don't care what colour you are, but I and the farlang will called you coloured....... and told me we gonna have a bloody good time.....

IтАЩm a firm believer that the source of racism is a general lack of education.
The above statement seems to support this theory.
You are a great guy, IтАЩm sure MontyтАж.but this thread you started is crap and belongs in the toilet.
тАж.and, that was a great boat cruise you organized back in April, wasnтАЩt it?

how many intelligent Roman Cathoilics do you know?

Trolling for trouble again Colonel?
I know most intelligent Roman Catholics can at least spell Catholic, unlike you.
J.F.K comes to mind, if indeed to are really talking about CatholicsтАж..and Pope John Paul II, Pierre Elliot TrudeauтАж.and if I were to go on would only belittle you by your inappropriate statement.

This thread should be moved to the Global Forum, unless someone can actually relate it to Gay Thailand, beyond its side reference. Better yet, the Toilet Forum if it existed.
Remember, some of the people you are laughing at to their expense are members here.

Sadly

Surfcrest

May 29th, 2006, 00:46
In Shanghai, friends who are opening another restaurant to cater to Aussies and other Westerners told me last visit that it is easy to rope in customers, and minimal work required to meet their needs. They said that it is not like preparing a banquet for humans, but more like slopping hogs, as long as the trough is cleaned regularly.

I reminded them that this kind of racist attitude is antithetical to the government's aim of increasing the flow of tourist dollars to China. They shut up instantly. From the start, it was apparent that there was no point in discussing ideals of human relations with them.

Homintern's lack of sensitivity is a foregone conclusion. However, the attitudes that belong in a bygone era - and highlighted in the remarks of Monty are less understandable unless he wishes to attract like-minded people to his businesses.

Boygeorge, why boycott? Please do retire at Monty's Bed and Breakfast. You may be intellectually a pure match for this segment of the Aussie brotherhood.

Men of color such as myself can have a better time when gay and other bigots are isolated at a particular and indentifiable set venues in Pattaya and Bangkok. Perhaps we should post a list of gay and gay friendly businesses in Pattaya and other cities in Thailand where black and other men of color are targets of both loud and quiet racist comments tolerated and even engaged in by business owners.

May 29th, 2006, 01:11
Perhaps we should post a list of gay and gay friendly businesses in Pattaya and other cities in Thailand where black and other men of color are targets of both loud and quiet racist comments tolerated and even engaged in by business owners.

I wonder how many of these bigots, especially those that see jokes and snide comments at the expense of 'coloured' races to be a source of humour have the guts to repeat their comments face to face.

Methinks very few!

Smiles
May 29th, 2006, 02:54
" ... in reality, the homintern were as fickle as any dealer in second-hand goods ... "
. . . and to think all this time I thought Homintern was just another run-o'-the-mill fat bald old (antique?) cunt.
A nation of shop-keepers, indeed ~ (WARNING: "Irony Watch" :ky: ... Napoleon being bigoted against the damned English ... who invented bigotry ~ for everyone else.)

Cheers ...

May 29th, 2006, 08:12
Black people used to be called coloured people, I got a load of abuse on here once for calling an oriental "an oriental". I'm not racist, I just think people need "educating" when it comes to race, irrespective of whether one is black, white or even pink.

cottmann
May 29th, 2006, 10:30
Black people used to be called coloured people, I got a load of abuse on here once for calling an oriental "an oriental". I'm not racist, I just think people need "educating" when it comes to race, irrespective of whether one is black, white or even pink.

I have always understood that black is an absence of colour, rather than a color, so I have never understood the basis for referring to certain groups of people as "persons of colour!"

May 29th, 2006, 10:48
IтАЩm a firm believer that the source of racism is a general lack of education.Racism is at one level merely another form of generalization that gives us shorthand rules by which to order our lives. Every Western businessman with whom I talk in Thailand (boygeenyus excepted) says тАЬI will never, ever, ever go into business with a Thai.тАЭ ItтАЩs generalization, itтАЩs based on what they observe going on around them тАУ but is it racism? If not, what is it? Statements such as тАЬAll black men have big cocksтАЭ can, I understand, be disproved (are you there bucknaway?), as can тАЬAll Asian men have small cocksтАЭ тАУ both are stereotypes based on either a misconception or personal experiences that really mean to say тАЬmostтАЭ rather than тАЬallтАЭ. It depends on the sample size (sorry about the pun)

тАЬIn Asia, face is everythingтАЭ. ThatтАЩs (generally) true, but is it racist? Or is racism simply a label itself that people apply to an opinion they donтАЩt like? Racism tends to be a charge levied against middle-aged white men and in my opinion thereтАЩs a racist agenda being pursued there by those who make the accusation (after all, itтАЩs middle-aged white men who run the world). Then, of course, based on contributions by the membership of this Forum, IтАЩd say that Native Americans all suffer from the Victim Syndrome

Surfcrest
May 29th, 2006, 17:12
тАУ both are stereotypes based on either a misconception or personal experiences that really mean to say тАЬmostтАЭ rather than тАЬallтАЭ. It depends on the sample size (sorry about the pun)

Then, of course, based on contributions by the membership of this Forum, IтАЩd say that Native Americans all suffer from the Victim Syndrome

Thanks for demonstrating your consistent ability to be both full of contradictions and full of....

Surfcrest

May 30th, 2006, 04:03
Thanks for demonstrating your consistent ability to be both full of contradictions and full of.... Thanks for biting again, Surfcrest dear boy. As far as I'm aware you are the only Native American contributor to this Forum, so my sample size is one, from which I extrapolate ...

You are of course familiar with Bayes' Theorem - I'm sure you use it to add value all the time

bucknaway
May 30th, 2006, 07:01
I remember when I first asked that question on a message board. One guy told me I would be disappointed because the Thai guys prefer white European men and shunned guys with dark skin. I was told by another guy to ignore the skin issue because I am a foreigner and the dark skin issue is a Thai/Asian issue for the most part. He suggested that I will be received like a "Rock Star" and will be looked at as if I were a rare find among the common visitor to Thailand.

When I go to Thailand I am treated like a celebrity and have never felt unwelcome, shunned or discriminated against because I am black. Just the opposite. I go to bars and saunas that I am told are Thai for Thai. At one sauna that I was told was Thai for Thai, I had to struggle with a guy who I was sure was going to rape me, Because of my twisted ankle I was not able to fight him off but when other heard us struggle and came to see what was causing the noise, he let me go.

As a matter of fact, the only time anyone looked at me and judged me for my skin color in a negative way was by a white European guy in Chiang Mai. He was walking with a Thai woman and I was 40 feet behind them (Limping on my bad foot) He turned around, saw me and stopped walking until I limped past them. The woman with him with a confused questioning look. But I chuckled too myself because I knew.

While in Perth I meet up with an old black friend, he asked me how Thai's will treat a Abo his words, (black fellah) in Pattaya as he will be visiting me next month.
I told him most Thai's don't care what colour you are, but I and the farlang will called you coloured.
He told me I was A bloody cheaky white fellah.
COUPLA TINGS YOU ORTA KNOW.
FIRSTLY,
WHEN I AM BORN, I'M BLACK.
WHEN I GROW UP , I'M BLACK.
WHEN I GET SICK, I'M BLACK.
WHEN I GO OUT IN THE SUN, I'M BLACK.
WHEN I'M COLD, I'M BLACK.
WHEN I GET SCARED, I'M BLACK.
AND WHEN I DIE I'M STILL BLOODY BLACK.

BUT YOU BLOODY WHITE FELLAH'S

WHEN YOU BORN YOU PINK.
WHEN YOU GROW UP, YOU WHITE.
WHEN YOU GET SICK , YOU GREEN.
WHEN YOU GO OUT IN TA SUN, YOU GO RED.
WHEN YOU GET COLD YOU GO BLUE.
WHEN YOU GET SCARED, YOU YELLOW.
AND WHEN YOU DIE, YOU PURPLE.

AND YOU GOT THE BLOODY CHEEK TO CALL ME COLOURED,,,,,,,

and told me we gonna have a bloody good time, when this boody Abo queen gets to Pattaya.

Smiles
May 30th, 2006, 07:19
" ... As a matter of fact, the only time anyone looked at me and judged me for my skin color in a negative way was by a white European guy in Chiang Mai. He was walking with a Thai woman and I was 40 feet behind them (Limping on my bad foot) He turned around, saw me and stopped walking until I limped past them. The woman with him with a confused questioning look. "But I chuckled too myself because I knew".

Maybe he was just concerned that because you were limping you perhaps needed a bit more room and courtesy than would a person who was perhaps a bit more dextrous ~ leg-wise? Have you noticed the sidewalk conditions common in Thailand towns?
Just a thought ...

Cheers ...

bucknaway
May 30th, 2006, 07:28
No. I was far enough away from them and he looked back from time to time and the look on his face told me all I needed to know. He did not want me walking behind them. It could be for a host of reasons. Maybe he was attacked before or heard stories.... Who knows... I don't let things like that worry me or rent space in my mind. I simply chuckled and move on. I mean... Who knows why men do what they do?

TOQ
May 30th, 2006, 07:33
No. I was far enough away from them and he looked back from time to time and the look on his face told me all I needed to know. He did not want me walking behind them. It could be for a host of reasons. Maybe he was attacked before or heard stories.... Who knows... I don't let things like that worry me or rent space in my mind. I simply chuckled and move on. I mean... Who knows why men do what they do?

I know why I do some of the things I do :))

john

Smiles
May 30th, 2006, 07:45
" ... Who knows... I don't let things like that worry me or rent space in my mind. I simply chuckled and move on ... "
You absolutely did not, buster ... you judged him a racist. On that one small moment of time.

Cheers ...

bucknaway
May 30th, 2006, 08:09
Nope, I did not judge him a racist. I just judged that he took a look at me and responded to my skin color and age. Was it racist? Maybe not. When you walk down the street with your special boy and hold his hand, kiss him or hug him... When others scowl or make sour faces... Do you think they are looking at you as a homo or is it their acid reflux?

Maybe your right?? Maybe the scowl on his face when he looked at me as I passed was one of sympathy for my limp. And that double-take he did when he looked behind himself and saw me.. his sudden stop, the dominant stance he took and pulling his woman close while keeping his eyes on me as I neared and passed him on the empty sidewalk... Then his crossing the street with her... But they were nice enough to walk with me kinda... but were too fast for me and were blocks ahead of me in no time at all. I did catch up to them when they were sitting outside at a beer garden on my side of the sidewalk. And again when he saw me, the smile left his face as he watched me pass.

Anyway.... Wars have been fought over racial indifference... And I don't care to fight a message board war (again) over such a multifaceted issue. Better men than you and I have had this debate. Debate turned to war and thousands have died and the argument was never settled.

And it ain't gonna be settled here either I guess LOL :)

bucknaway
May 30th, 2006, 08:21
Cut it out mister! Being cheeky is not allowed in this thread! :flower:

john

TOQ
May 30th, 2006, 08:46
Cut it out mister! Being cheeky is not allowed in this thread! :flower:

john

Ive been bad, I apologize sir, I wont let it happen again....

john

Smiles
May 30th, 2006, 08:48
" . . . I don't care to fight a message board war (again) over such a multifaceted issue . . . "
Pardon me a moment for not having the decency to let this go BlkCuteGuy . . . but now it's a "multifaceted" issue: when you deem it to be so.

If I recall correctly, the "issue" was pure black & white (no pun) when ~ some long time ago ~ you vehemently objected to the use of the word "nigger" ... no matter what the context . . . no matter if someone was only attempting to make a point . . . no matter that the point they were trying to make was "on your side".
It certainly wasn't "multifaceted" then. Everyone then ~ who simply used that word, reasonable context or not ~ was a 'racist' ... .

But now ~ for your convenience ~ it is a "multifaceted" issue . . . ?

Cheers ...

PS . . . but I sincerely apologise to those oldsters on the Board who went through this crap before. I shall not carry it further than this.

bucknaway
May 30th, 2006, 09:01
So how was your weekend? I went to Camp Oneida (A gay campground). It was very nice and a big crowd! Over 1000 guys! :drunken:

" . . . I don't care to fight a message board war (again) over such a multifaceted issue . . . "
Pardon me a moment for not having the decency to let this go BlkCuteGuy . . . but now it's a "multifaceted" issue: when you deem it to be so.

If I recall correctly, the "issue" was pure black & white (no pun) when ~ some long time ago ~ you vehemently objected to the use of the word "nigger" ... no matter what the context . . . no matter if someone was only attempting to make a point . . . no matter that the point they were trying to make was "on your side".
It certainly wasn't "multifaceted" then. Everyone then ~ who simply used that word, reasonable context or not ~ was a 'racist' ... .

But now ~ for your convenience ~ it is a "multifaceted" issue . . . ?

Cheers ...

PS . . . but I sincerely apologise to those oldsters on the Board who went through this crap before. I shall not carry it further than this.

May 30th, 2006, 09:07
Just wondering if you term everyone who is unfriendly, aggressive, or indifferent to you -- or who just doesn't like your looks -- a "racist".

Dodger
May 30th, 2006, 09:08
During my reading of this thread I found myself chuckling... ...then cringing...then laughing.

First of all, anyone with one ounce of common sense would know that Monty did not intend his remarks to be racist. (I was chuckling)

Then you have a few of the Boards HIGHLY EDUCATED INTELLECTUALS attempting to stir up a racist issue, whilst making racist slurs themselves in the process. (I was cringing)

Then comes this brilliant statement...
IтАЩm a firm believer that the source of racism is a general lack of education. (I was laughing)

I'll never forget the time I walked into a gas station toilet with my best friend Cobert to take a piss. Cobert, which is a nickname derived from his real name Roberto Cordero, was the drummer in our band and quite proud of his heritage as a full-blooded Mexican. As we both stood at the urinal our eyes focused on a joke which was scribbled on the wall which stated..."Mexicans are living proof that Indians fucked Buffalo's." After letting out a burst of uncontrollable laughter, Cobert looked at me and said..."How do you think we Mexicans feel about stuff like that." Cobert and I grew up together and loved each other like brothers, although he dropped out of school at a very early age and wasn't very educated. My response to him was..." How do you think the Buffalo's felt." He wasn't quite sure what I meant by that, but he started laughing his ass off anyway.

mai pen rai

bucknaway
May 30th, 2006, 09:35
Stop the fighting.... Give peace a chance :geek:

Just wondering if you term everyone who is unfriendly, aggressive, or indifferent to you -- or who just doesn't like your looks -- a "racist".

May 30th, 2006, 09:43
How can we have peace when you're going around branding anyone who doesn't take a shine to you as a "racist"?

bucknaway
May 30th, 2006, 09:55
(Eating Popcorn) I can't wait to see how this turns out :bounce:

How can we have peace when you're going around branding anyone who doesn't take a shine to you as a "racist"?

May 30th, 2006, 10:27
The first step, dear, would be to look at yourself in the mirror and acknowledge to yourself that there are hundreds of reasons unrelated to your skin color why people might not like you. You can start with your political beliefs.

Dodger
May 31st, 2006, 05:37
Hey Bucknaway...

Scoot over...I'll take some of that popcorn from you. Boygeenyus is going to teach us all something now...LOL

bucknaway
May 31st, 2006, 05:58
Sorry Dodger... Get your own bag... I think I will need all of mine to sustain my strength for when I am up on the cross... Whoops! Here it comes.....

http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=1558