PDA

View Full Version : Phnom Penh Weekend

December 3rd, 2012, 13:01
Maybe Alzheimer's is kicking in. I thought I had posted this earlier, now I can't find it on SGT/Asia. Sorry if it's a repetition.

Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:47 am

Phnom Penh Weekend: At the airport, can get visa on arrival, though itтАЩs a hassle if a lot of people arrive at once. I got mine ahead of time at my local Cambodian consulate (1 photo + about $25 US in local currency). Passport control at the airport takes your photo and inkless fingerprints. Saw mention of a $20 exit fee, but it never materialized, possibly discontinued. Can also get Visa Online, but that exceeded my computer skills.

Almost all transactions in Phnom Penh are in US dollars and that is what the numerous ATMтАЩs dispense. If you bring dollars with you, make sure they are in good condition. Hundred dollar bills especially must be nearly pristine. Most frequently used are the $1тАЩs, $ 5тАЩs and $10тАЩs.

Shorts, tee shirts, polo shirts were all I wore. Footwear of your choice, though sandals with black socks do not meet minimum fashion standards even in Phnom Penh.

Sorry, no site-seeing updates available. I was just in PP hunting for entertainment.

Thursday 23 Aug 2012. Arrived at Manor House Bed and Breakfast Hotel at 5pm, hooked up with a friend who flew in from Thailand for a few days. Manor House is тАЬadequateтАЭ, maybe 3 star, 12 rooms with A/C, e-safe, coffee/tea maker, fridge, writing desk, laminate flooring being installed as I write, swimming pool, free basic breakfast. Rooms are around $40-$50/night. Foreign/gay run with some very cute staff who are, unassailably, 100% straight. They were born that way.

Hotel staff photocopies ID cards of all joiners. No one under 18 allowed.

Shoes are left at the entrance to the hotel lobby. Not a problem for me, though I did witness one unshod ladyboy joiner who was claiming that someone had absconded with his sandals. I can imagine his choice of footwear, but canтАЩt imagine anyone actually stealing them.

Getting around PP is mostly by tuk-tuk, everything seems too far to walk. Tuk-tuks here are more comfortable, slower moving, safer than the Bangkok versions. There are regular drivers who wait outside the hotel. Trustworthy.
Mr. Sna, tuk-tuk No.001, was my favorite.

First evening, we went to Hatha Khmer massage. I had a good experience, my friend did not. $10 for an hourтАЩs oil massage, plus tip for boy ($10-$20 depending on just how much he did for you). Not like some Thai massage places where the boys automatically get naked and are prepared for a mutual happy ending.

After the massage, we went to Blue Chili, supposedly THE place to find agreeable freelancers. Had my friend and I been under 50 yrs of age, perhaps our charm and good looks would have sufficed to attract some interest. As it was, we sat for an hour watching a small number of not especially cute guys. We were then approached by two apparent regulars, the type who start to use тАЬdarlingтАЭ as soon as they sit down with you. But at least they donтАЩt expect a drink as in the Thai bars. They donтАЩt get a percentage for тАЬboy drinksтАЭ. We left the bar unaccompanied.

Friday night we started by having a vegetarian dinner at KтАЩnay, which adjoins K2 bar. K2 was devoid of human habitation aside from a bored waiter, so we went to Rainbow Bar, billed as a quiet, relaxing place to find some company. Either we were too old, or, as we suspected, the boys thought we were a couple and did not want to intrude. (My friend said next time we bar hop together we should each wear a T-shirt saying, тАЬIтАЩm not with himтАЭ). Left Rainbow after one drink and moved on to тАЬ2 ColoursтАЭ.

тАЬ2 ColoursтАЭ was lively with their weekly lip-synch show performed by ladyboys using the bar top as their stage. We spied two guys around 20 but they didnтАЩt look like they fancied an evening with us, so we asked the tuk-tuk driverтАЩs help in finding some young companions. Tuk-tuk driver subcontracted the task and we were driven around for 20 minutes by someone who had no clue where to find the objects of our desire. Returned to тАЬ2 ColoursтАЭ, saw the same two guys we had noticed earlier. My friend, by then emboldened by several beers, simply asked them if they would like to come back to our hotel with us. The cute one went to him and I had the less cute, but quite acceptable 20 yr old. They were from Siem Reap, in PP for the weekend. Minimal English ability, fairly good in bed.

But a money boy is a money boy no matter where he lives. In addition to the usual $20 per session fee, our new friends were not shy about suggesting other ways we could help ($200 for my guy so he could get a passport; $2,500 for the other guy so he could study at university). We declined the opportunity to help.

They were with us Friday night for short time and most of Saturday. Saturday night my friendтАЩs guy remained. My fellow left around 11pm because he was going to take an early morning bus to Battambong to see his sister, recently involved in a motorcycle accident (remarkably similar to Thai boysтАЩ stories).

Sunday morning: had breakfast with my friend and his young man who was extremely uncomfortable sitting at table with us since he thereby announced his money boy status. Sunday afternoon my friend had to leave Cambodia and his boy was apparently hoping that I would elect to assume the role of provider. But I had had enough. IтАЩm basically of the 12 hour butterfly variety. Beyond that, especially without a common language, and with a boy who isnтАЩt even trying to show a sign of friendliness, it is time to clean house.

Sunday night solo for me. Monday night, I went back to Hatha Khmer Massage and was disappointed.

Other: the Night Market at the riverside has Friday evening pop concerts but we did not encounter the promised тАЬlots of young guys availableтАЭ. The riverside is also recommended for cruising. Heart of Darkness disco is mostly gay IтАЩm told, but my disco days are long gone, so I canтАЩt confirm. Sorya Mall, 2nd-3rd floors. Lots of shoddy goods for sale, but the rumors about boys were unfounded. (Try to avoid malls on weekends when they are frequented by families with uncontrolled screaming rug rats). Hero Spa massage is said to be much the same as Hatha Khmer.

If youтАЩre young and good looking, you wonтАЩt need any guidance from an old fart such as myself. Just smile at the right guys and if youтАЩre lucky, youтАЩll find enjoyment. Or, if youтАЩre older, with a good supply of $100 bills, the freelancers may be attracted, but itтАЩs all hit and miss. The boys who know how to provide you with a good time are mostly over the border, in Chonburi province. Nevertheless, there are visitors and residents in Phnom Penh who sing the praises of the undeniably cute Khmer guys with their smooth dusky skin, and I have to admit that the Khmer smile is usually genuine, much more so than the perfunctory show of teeth in LOS.

December 3rd, 2012, 15:43
Another possible destination I can cross off my list. Interesting that Netflix believes Cambodia is a gay paradise like Thailand.

December 27th, 2012, 23:27
I think he was only referring to the tolerant nature of the Cambodian people towards gays - not to the availability of gay "entertainment" in Cambodia.

He said, "Not a gay place but Cambodia seems about like Thailand... nobody seems to care or even notice if you're a gay-ish couple".

However, I think he was wrong. They definitely do notice if you're a gay couple and the owners of several Phnom Penh hotels do care about a single man's intent in visiting Phnom Penh, going so far as to state specifically on their websites that no sex tourists are admitted. You can show up and check in with your Thai or Cambodian bf (or gf), but you can't bring in joiners at these places.

Brisboy82
December 29th, 2012, 19:11
I actually find Cambodia in some ways more friendly than Thailand. Of course there's no gogo bars etc but the guys are very friendly and forward and action is not hard to come by if you're a fit 30 year old. Not sure how it would go for you old guys tho ;)

Neal
December 29th, 2012, 20:45
In my report I think I mentioned that I not only found it extremely friendly but easy to find yourself many boys that could easily be available. I found it a bit laid back and quiet like Chaing Mei.

December 29th, 2012, 20:50
Well, yes, Brisboy, wouldn't life be wonderful if we were all fit 30 year olds. Speaking for myself, this old guy is only as successful as the amount of money in his wallet. But never mind, I still think the Khmer boys are great even if they are not all beating a path to my bedroom.

yedo111
December 30th, 2012, 02:48
If you want to meet cute Khmer boys , Heart of Darkness disco is the place .

You will find a mix of all ages and gender there , it was great fun during my last visit .

Well maybe not a place for 70 year olds sexpats
:tongue3:

December 30th, 2012, 10:16
Yes, I KNOW it's not for 70 yr old sexpats, and I KNOW I'm not a fit 30 yr old. :old:

Somehow, I hope to recover from these hurtful age reminders. :crybaby:

lonelywombat
December 31st, 2012, 13:24
I did an application for an Australian visa trip and was recommended to stay at Manor House . I was not looking to go out and had expected to stay in and dine there. Not available.

I spoke to the manager/owner and he said come back and I will show you where to go,

When I arrived back he has drawn a map of the local restaurants only a few hundred yards away and gave me a rundown on what was available. I was taken by the French restaurant, got some good advice re the wines and was told it was a favorite. Great food , wine ordinary but enjoyed my self. The following night my friend staying in Phnom Penh called around and we went back again.

We had a few too many drinks to recall the names of the bars we dined at and had more than a few drinks, but another very enjoyable night.

Today I got an email from some locals from home, who took that advice this week and also had a great couple of nights there. Apparently it is also the local backpackers area and they told me they had a few stories for when they return.

I have not seen a description before of the local area and hope it might help those who plan to visit in the future.

goji
January 14th, 2013, 01:24
Maybe you just got unlucky.

I reckon Cambodia's better for finding moneyboys than Vietnam, Laos or Malaysia & usually managed found several of them in The Blue Chilli.