PDA

View Full Version : Bangkok New Years

cirac
December 2nd, 2012, 23:20
Hi everyone - first post but long time reader of this forum :happy7:

Would love to hear some suggestions to any organized events or recommendations for a solo traveler (Asian, stocky, mid-30s) to Bangkok over the New Year period (specifically 28th Dec - 3rd Jan). Any comments greatly appreciated.

Rush, Yet Again
December 3rd, 2012, 08:05
While many hotels have special dinners that night, and a lot of clubs have special events planned, the biggest affair is the countdown at Central World on New YearтАЩs Eve. ItтАЩs a zoo. Ratchadamri Road in front of the mall is packed with part-goers - sardines in a can have more elbow room. Better to go earlier in the day and reserve a table at one of the beer booths (which if I remember correctly runs about $75 - you get booze/food coupons of that value to use that night). If you take the BTS there, buy your return ticket on your way out of the station to save yourself a few hours of waiting in line to do so after the party is over.

A still packed but less chaotic choice is at Sanam Luang (field) by the Grand Palace. ItтАЩs an older more local crowd with enough room you can sit down on the ground.

Both events offer local entertainment.

Soi 4 gets packed early on; a lot of visiting gays choose that as their spot to ring in the new year, though there is usually not much in the way of an organized party going on.

Bar boys tend to find an off for the night so they too can go out and party. So the gogo bars, some of which throw a тАШpartyтАЩ are not well-stocked with guys that night. If a companion for the evening is part of your plans, you are better off grabbing a boy early or the night before and taking him to one of the larger events. Or to your hotel room - which is a great way to finish the year off with a happy ending.

cirac
December 3rd, 2012, 09:01
Thanks for that! Was in Bangkok for New Years last year but ended up just stuck in the alley way in DJ Station - had balloons come down once midnight came about and I just left. Thus the need to plan this time around. Perhaps need to find either a local or farang friend (which I probably need to know how to go about finding) to hang about prior to the celebrations - just so it's not just a one man show :evil4:

Michal2012
December 3rd, 2012, 12:19
I love solo travel because I get to eat, visit and sleep whenever or whereever I want. However its about the only time that I slow down enough to realize that it could be just a little nicer if I had a sweetheart to share the experience with. Go now. DonтАЩt wait until you have a companion. Stay in hostels and travel cheaply and you will meet people from all over the world in a way that cocooned at a western hotel wonтАЩt faciliate.

cirac
December 4th, 2012, 22:49
Thanks Michal - yes being a solo traveler is fun when you work on no one else's schedule but your own. It's strange for me to add this (given that I am traveling to Bangkok) but I do prefer farangs than my Asian counterparts... Unless there's a bar that I can 'off' one of them, it'll be a challenge! :dontknow: I've already booked my accommodation but it is along Silom Road so hopefully that's going to be handy. At least with a traveling companion we can hit the bar, sit around and perve - As a solo traveler I may be reeking a little too obviously, signs of desperation (and may be seen doodling too much on the smartphone instead) :evil4: Any suggestions still tremendously appreciated!