PDA

View Full Version : A few observations

arsenal
November 23rd, 2012, 16:33
Well back home nearly a week now so I thought I'd write a few of my Pattaya observations. None of the areas were particularly busy, either straight or gay but Jomtien seemed to be the busiest although generally I was only passing through.
Boyztown was its usual self-important self. Only one bar livened me up and as I have written that was X-Boys Pattayaland. They have a Cambodiaan boy here...he's a delight. A brief visit to G.U.Y on Walking Street for a beer in an empty bar at 150 Baht and a demand to leave the 50 Baht note as a tip...refused.
The boys are now quoting 1500 Baht for short time but will accept 1200.
I enjoyed several massages at Narcissus, Throb, Scandic and that one next to Petite Planette restaurant in Day/Night. Scandic can offer you a Vietnamese boy if you fancy.
I ate at two of the restaurants in Day/Night. Petit Planette was ok and Cuisine au Buerre was better but a little more expensive. I think C o B has been taken over by a Thai woman and there seems to be a schoolchild (her son I think) there. I find this soon leads to a 'family' style atmosphere which I do not like. If the child is there when I return then I shall not eat there again.
L'Olivier in Jomtien was also very good but again a little more expensive.
I also visited The Glasshouse twice and it's still the most beautiful restaurant Patttaya has to offer. Great food, great drinks, great location, great everything.
Most of the bars in Sunnee were as I remember them, a couple of new ones. In one of the new ones the barman told me he had a gun and he wanted to fight me. Outside someone tried to sell me ice. But most of the boys here are actually quite pleasant and friendly.
Eros has filled the void currently left by Krazy Dragon. It's a fun bar where nudity and saucy behaviour are never far away along with comfortable furniture.
A new experience for me was getting stuck in flooded roads and the bike conking out. Two good Samaritan Thais had positioned themselves and as soon as someone's bike stopped they waded in and pulled them out.
All in all a good trip. Very enjoyable.

joe552
November 23rd, 2012, 17:28
Thanks for the report, arsenal. Where is The Glasshouse restaurant?

Liamog
November 23rd, 2012, 20:00
Most of the bars in Sunnee were as I remember them, a couple of new ones. In one of the new ones the barman told me he had a gun and he wanted to fight me. Outside someone tried to sell me ice.

Can you let us know which one so we can avoid it. If you don't want to state the name publicly please PM me.

Good report. Brief and informative. A novel concept :ink:

*************** PLEASE DO NOT DO THAT ON THIS BOARD. OF COURSE FEEL FREE TO SEND HIM A PM. DaBoss *******************

Geezer
November 23rd, 2012, 23:53
Petit Planette was ok and Cuisine au Buerre was better but a little more expensive. I think C o B has been taken over by a Thai woman and there seems to be a schoolchild (her son I think) there. I find this soon leads to a 'family' style atmosphere which I do not like. If the child is there when I return then I shall not eat there again.

Cuisine au Buerre has been owned and operated by the same husband (French) and wife (Thai) during the 13 years I have lived here. I find the fare delicious. If one finds "family style" unpleasant I think one need not be concerned. I have eaten at the restaurant several hundred times, and only seen a family there three or four. Tonight there were three farang/Thai boy couples which is usually the case.

newalaan
November 24th, 2012, 04:01
All in all a good trip. Very enjoyable.
Thanks for taking the time to post arsenal, I wish more visitors would get back to posting their experiences, not just of Pattaya but of anywhere in Thailand. Current, updated info is very uselful to those booked to go there soon. At one time some couldn't be bothered to post reviews and reports because they often attracted the smart-arse sniping ambushers, it seems DaBoss has taken steps in general to keep the worst offender(s) on a short leash, it would be great to see reports and reviews on all aspects of Thailand make a 'comeback' here.

G U Y......a beer in an empty bar at 150 Baht and a demand to leave the 50 Baht note as a tip...refused. The boys are now quoting 1500 Baht for short time but will accept 1200.
Glad you didn't give in to the demand at G-U-Y. That is taking the piss. Are you talking about all boys in Pattaya across the board you encountered quoting Bt1500 short? Boys from the bars only? Did you always 'discuss' the expected tip before the deed?

Cuisine au Buerre has been owned and operated by the same husband (French) and wife (Thai) during the 13 years I have lived here. I find the fare delicious. If one finds "family style" unpleasant I think one need not be concerned. I have eaten at the restaurant several hundred times, and only seen a family there three or four. Tonight there were three farang/Thai boy couples which is usually the case.
I must admit like Geezer, when I pass CoB every day/evening when in Pattaya, although I have seen some (very few) females (could be katoey) it has mostly been male farangs together or male farangs with thai friends. I really couldn't describe it as 'family' orientated, or heading in that direction....it's not as if it's like a bar where customers would be "interacting" with boys.

PLEASE DO NOT DO THAT ON THIS BOARD. OF COURSE FEEL FREE TO SEND HIM A PM.
This is a reference to Liamog asking for the name of the bar where a barman claimed to have a gun, and arsenal was offered ice. Would there be a legal obstacle in naming that bar even if the info is accurate? Many bars are named on this forum regarding many various 'happenings therein' including instances which would be regarded as illegal. I would certainly like to know which bar. I would also appreciate a PM regarding the name if it is unable to be named on the thread, and would be happy to pass on that name so arsenal is not overwhelmed by requests.

Neal
November 24th, 2012, 04:10
Newalaan thanks for asking. The problem with Thai law is how does Arsenal or me for that matter prove in fact that there was a gun? Remember the Thai law does say that it is not the accused that has to prove his innocence but Arsenal and this board that has to prove that bar person is guilty. I don't believe that there would be y=that evidence, although maybe there is, and therefore we and Arsenal if located would be held accountable for damage done to that bar,.
I hope you understand the problem, and I am here for your suggestions but I think the best way is for Arsenal to decide if he wants to take that chance and give that info out by PM or not.

Thanks!

arsenal
November 24th, 2012, 07:47
Joe: The Glasshouse is past Na Jomtien and off of Sukumvit. It's right on the beach. Please read my full review.

Liamog: It really doesn't matter which bar, it could have been any and all of them at some time. It was just part of my overall Pattaya experience.

Geezer: I don't mean diners, I mean the owners child. Restaurant owners and their children often let their private lives come into the restaurant, it is that which I do not like.

Newalaan: I do ask the boy what he is expecting, yes.

Geezer
November 24th, 2012, 08:42
Restaurant owners and their children often let their private lives come into the restaurant, it is that which I do not like.

Well, I suppose it would be best to eschew Cuisine au Buerre.

nanette
November 24th, 2012, 10:39
As per arsenal's observation, I've also encountered a Cambodian bar boy, but this time at X-boys Bangkok about 2 weeks ago. He pointed out to 5 other countrymen of his on stage. It was a pleasant experience with an attentive & athletic man. We could communicate mostly in Thai & some english.
They all have to do visa runs every 15 days to continue working at the bar. None of the boys appeared in the least feminine.

November 24th, 2012, 13:26
Newalaan thanks for asking. The problem with Thai law is how does Arsenal or me for that matter prove in fact that there was a gun? Remember the Thai law does say that it is not the accused that has to prove his innocence but Arsenal and this board that has to prove that bar person is guilty. I don't believe that there would be y=that evidence, although maybe there is, and therefore we and Arsenal if located would be held accountable for damage done to that bar.Isnt that a totally compelling reason to have the bored and its ownership located in another country not Thailand????

Liamog
November 24th, 2012, 23:40
Liamog: It really doesn't matter which bar, it could have been any and all of them at some time.

Matters to me arsenal. I would prefer to know before going into a bar that there is a possibility I will be threatened with a gun. Forewarned is forarmed. (Not literally armed!)

I'm not naive nor unusually averse to violence. I realise places like Sunnee operate on the edges of the law or just outside it. I realise that by going there I am subjecting myself to some additional risks that I might not face in a more family orientated tourist area. I realise that this is so for all bars in these areas to a greater or lesser extent. So be it.

That said I do think customers of Sunnee and similar places can protect each other a little by sharing our experiences. Whether it's rip-off bars, annoying mamasans, theft or violence (or threats of it) we can forewarn our fellow travellers on boards like these. Please reconsider sharing the bars name, privately as DaBoss says, it gives other board members the chance to make more informed decisions about where they drink.

arsenal
November 25th, 2012, 12:38
I never said the barman had a gun, I just said he told me he did. I will not name this bar by pm or otherwise.

November 25th, 2012, 13:43
Can you tell us how it came to pass that he told you he had a gun and wanted to fight with you - it doesn't sound like normal behaviour.

Liamog
November 25th, 2012, 23:46
Seems we need Sherlock Holmes to unravel this. The strange case of the gun in the bar.

Captain Swing
November 26th, 2012, 04:32
Seems we need Sherlock Holmes to unravel this. The strange case of the gun in the bar.

Rumored gun. Kind of like the dog that didn't bark in the night.