PDA

View Full Version : Caveat emptor . . .

Jellybean
November 21st, 2012, 21:38
. . . Let the buyer beware indeed!

http://www.andrew-drummond.com/2012/11/ ... using.html (http://www.andrew-drummond.com/2012/11/exclusive-hua-hins-awfie-big-housing.html)

I thought members might be interested in seeing an article by the journalist Andrew Drummond about a developer in Hua Hin which highlights some of the pitfalls and dangers of buying property in Thailand. I have a particular interest in this case as I bought a house, off-plan, from the developer 7 years ago.

I was very lucky, a year later my house was, more or less, ready on time and I was able to move in with only some minor snaggings to deal with. I didnтАЩt have any major issues until 2 years later in 2008 (as the world economic crash started to take hold) when my neighbours and I heard about numerous problems with his other developments. It soon became obvious that he wasnтАЩt going to finish off the communal aspects of our development or complete the last two houses as we heard he was running out of money from new house purchasers. Ten of the twelve houses in our street were however completed and the owners of the two remaining houses are, I am sorry to say, currently taking individual legal proceedings against the developer.

Over the next two years my neighbours and I engaged in frequent negotiations with the developer, but, sadly, each time we thought we had reached an agreement he would resile and negotiations would collapse.

After those two fruitless years we eventually concluded that we would have to resort to more formal action and took legal advice. Our lawyer issued several written warnings, but they were ignored. We were then left with no alternative but to take legal proceedings through the Thai courts, which dragged on for a further two years. I am happy to report that two months ago we won our class action against the developer and were given legal control of our estate and the right to finish off the development ourselves, but, regrettably, at our cost.

We decided not to pursue the matter of costs and penalties on the grounds that we had already spent enough on lawyersтАЩ fees. And, importantly, we were advised that we could have been involved in further, protracted legal proceedings for up to another two years with no guarantee that we would ever be able to enforce the courtтАЩs judgment and receive a single Baht in compensation and costs from the developer.

We are currently installing a permanent electricity supply at our own cost тАУ for two years the developer refused us permission to do so despite the fact that we were paying twice the normal rate on a temporary supply. Our next action, which I hope to contribute to when I arrive back in Thailand, in just over two weeks time, is to agree on how we finish off the communal aspects of our small estate.

I count myself very lucky; there are a great number of people in the neighbouring estates who have lost a considerable amount of money with no prospect of their houses ever being completed. And I donтАЩt think it is any exaggeration to say that many have had their lives ruined.

It would be disingenuous of me to say that the difficulties and extra costs over the last 4 years have not, to a certain extent, blighted my enjoyment and experience of life in Thailand. I have however tried to reduce the impact by adopting a, тАШsuch is lifeтАЩ or тАШT.I.TтАЩ attitude by not letting this unhappy episode totally dominate my life or sour my view of Thailand. I was also extraordinarily lucky in another respect, I was able to rent out my house for most of the last 4 years and buy a condo in Bangkok where I have spent the majority of my time when not back here in the UK. I am happy to say IтАЩve not had any problems with the condo to date and, thankfully, you donтАЩt have to go through the annual rigmarole of producing company accounts as you do with the ownership of a house.

But with the benefit of hindsight I certainly wish I had not gone down the road of buying a house in Thailand. Although I acknowledge there are bound to be many foreigners ( and I know quite a few) who have bought properties in Thailand and have had no problems or regrets whatsoever.

When asked for my opinion, I always advise people who are thinking about moving to and buying property in Thailand to at least, in the first instance, consider renting rather than buying. In my view itтАЩs a lot less hassle and offers far greater flexibility.

ikarus
November 22nd, 2012, 11:03
Thanks for posting this. Unfortunately, many people are not willing to share their negative experiences while, in fact, one can learn a lot of useful things from posts like yours. Did you use any lawyer while buying the condo in BKK? If yes, I would appreciate
if you could provide a reference. If you do not want to post such an information, I would appreciate pm.

a447
November 22nd, 2012, 14:07
Jellybean wrote:
When asked for my opinion, I always advise people who are thinking about moving to and buying property in Thailand to at least, in the first instance, consider renting rather than buying. In my view itтАЩs a lot less hassle and offers far greater flexibility.

That's exactly the same advice a number of boys gave me when, in a moment of madness, I considered buying a condo in Pattaya.

November 22nd, 2012, 15:00
If renting, there's no property for you to be diddled out of - or pushed over the balcony for !!

Jellybean
November 22nd, 2012, 16:09
if you could provide a reference. If you do not want to post such an information,

Ikarus when I looked around for a lawyer when buying my house in Hua Hin I turned to a local lawyer. I have to say however that I wasnтАЩt impressed and didnтАЩt really have a lot of confidence in his abilities. I mentioned this to a recent acquaintance and he told me I really couldnтАЩt afford to skimp on legal fees (not that that was my intention!) and suggested I use Tilleke & Gibbins in Bangkok.

I went up to Bangkok and met with them and was very impressed. Surprisingly their fees were roughly comparable to the cost of solicitorтАЩs fees for conveyancing in London. But as my new friend said to me, тАЬDo you want to open your door one day to be faced with someone telling you it wasnтАЩt your property and he wanted you to leave?тАЭ Well no, I didnтАЩt тАУ who would? :) So I paid their legal fees in the belief that the legal process would be properly carried out and I wouldnтАЩt have any future problems over the legal title to my property.

I was so impressed with them that I used their services again when I bought my condo in Bangkok. When I first used them their offices were close to Central Department Store near Wireless Road, but they have since moved and their new address and contact details are below.

Incidentally, if you are thinking of buying property in Thailand it is my understanding that you must also have a Thai Last Will & Testament as Wills drawn up outside of Thailand have no legal effect. Tilleke & Gibbins will also help you draw up a Will.

Tilleke & Gibbins International Ltd
Supalal Grand Tower 26th Floor
1011 Rama 3 Road
Chongnonsi Yannawa
Bangkok 10120

Telephone: +66 2653 5555
Email: bangkok@tilleke.com

That's exactly the same advice a number of boys gave me when, in a moment of madness, I considered buying a condo in Pattaya.

What highly intelligent boys you hang out with a447. Wish I had been so lucky 7 years ago! Oh, what a lot of heartache I could have avoided! :)

If renting, there's no property for you to be diddled out of - or pushed over the balcony for !!

How right you are Scottish-guy. Like most people here, IтАЩve heard numerous stories of farang taking the highly unusual and deeply painful method of committing suicide by throwing themselves off a balcony. I remember on one occasion being quite reluctant to go out on to my 21st floor balcony with my former boyfriend and his new Thai тАЬfriendтАЭ when they came to visit me shortly after we split up. They seemed too keen to get me to join them on the balcony, but I declined on the spurious grounds that it was too cold! Talk about paranoia!:)

zinzone
November 22nd, 2012, 17:14
Likewise I thank the OP for sharing this experience. I believe we should also be grateful to Andrew Drummond. He is fearless in trying to expose some of the outrageous criminal scum that come to Thailand or are here already. These criminals have no mercy and will use every method to try to rob, scam and exploit from others. They feel safe in the knowledge that once they have stolen or tricked people the prospect of the innocent getting any redress is small plus these crooks know have a good chance of getting away with their crimes.They not only operate in real estate, but in numerous activities such as financial services, for example boiler rooms etc etc. The difference between Thailand and other countries is as stated once these criminals have in effect stolen your money , getting it back or getting any justice is unlikely.

I agree with what another poster has said: we can all learn from posts like the OP's.

ikarus
November 23rd, 2012, 09:05
if you could provide a reference. If you do not want to post such an information,

I was so impressed with them that I used their services again when I bought my condo in Bangkok. When I first used them their offices were close to Central Department Store near Wireless Road, but they have since moved and their new address and contact details are below.

Incidentally, if you are thinking of buying property in Thailand it is my understanding that you must also have a Thai Last Will & Testament as Wills drawn up outside of Thailand have no legal effect. Tilleke & Gibbins will also help you draw up a Will.

Tilleke & Gibbins International Ltd
Supalal Grand Tower 26th Floor
1011 Rama 3 Road
Chongnonsi Yannawa
Bangkok 10120

Telephone: +66 2653 5555
Email: bangkok@tilleke.com

Thanks, Jellybean. And judging from what you said they will be able to help not only in BKK ( I am interested in Pattaya).