PDA

View Full Version : Obama visit

November 16th, 2012, 13:27
I red somewhere that Obama is visiting Thailand soon is this true do we know if he will be bringing flowers and grapes with him?

Neal
November 16th, 2012, 13:33
President Obama will be visiting with leaders of Thailand, Myanmar, and Cambodia from November 17 to 20.

I imagine Bangkok's intolerable traffic will become a bit worse when he gets there.

Today's Wall Street Journal reports:

By JARED A. FAVOLE

President Barack Obama is traveling to Myanmar, Thailand and Cambodia from Nov. 17 to 20, the White House said, his first foreign trip after winning re-election and reflecting his renewed push to strengthen U.S. ties in Asia.

In Myanmar, Mr. Obama will meet with President Thein Sein and opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi to help encourage MyanmarтАЩs тАЬongoing democratic transition,тАЭ the White House said. In Cambodia, Mr. Obama will attend the East Asia Summit, and in Thailand he will meet with the countryтАЩs prime minister to reaffirm U.S. relations.

Throughout the trip Mr. Obama will discuss a broad range of issues including тАЬeconomic prosperity and job creation through increased trade and partnerships, energy and security cooperation, human rights, shared values and other issues of regional and global concern,тАЭ the White House said.

The trip comes after a hard-fought re-election campaign in which Asia, particularly China, was a major topic. Mr. Obama has said he believes ChinaтАЩs rise to power could be beneficial to the U.S., while he has also challenged some of the countryтАЩs economic operations.

The president has taken steps to refocus U.S. diplomatic and military efforts in the region, including pledging to extend a U.S. missile-defense system in the region and placing Marines on AustraliaтАЩs north coastтАФmoves that have prompted concern from Beijing.

тАФBob Davis contributed to this article.

pong
November 17th, 2012, 12:50
am now in HCMC=Saigom, left from DMK on AirAsia on fr 18-and a large but quite old B747 USA was standing there. There was an informative officer on board the platformbus and we asked-chatted happily some time in Thai. This was the securitystaff-also 2 airforce grey/green large planes, to prepare things. he woild arrive sun =tomorrow, and after a visit to the king will also visit Burma. Expect half of BKK-big city/old town to be cut off and fenced off, i guess for joe public.

November 19th, 2012, 01:03
So,as Mr Obama is now in Thailand ( or just left ?? ) what was the outcome, crazy traffic, no difference, no one noticed or everyone was excited ?? I'm guessing the no one noticed one is about right perhaps ??

cameroncat
November 19th, 2012, 06:00
The Current Air Force One was manufactured in 1991. Due to be replaced by 2017 with either a 747-8 or a modified 787.

adman5000
November 19th, 2012, 07:33
I saw him on the news tonight in the USA talking to Hillary and a monk at Wat Po in BKK.

egel
November 21st, 2012, 03:52
I saw him on the news tonight in the USA talking to Hillary and a monk at Wat Po in BKK.
Haha, every time I go to Wat Po they tell me its closed for a Presidential Visit. Maybe for ONCE it was true!