PDA

View Full Version : When being old means you are more valuable (MOT)

Davey612
November 16th, 2012, 11:36
Hello everyone,

I am sure my title for this topic picked your interest. You must be thinking, "yeah, something about old falang and money." Actually, it is about a book.

First, I haven't been on this forum for ages. People change, tastes changes, interests changes. I have been wandering around other parts of the world. But I have decided to return to Thailand next year.

That is when I started opening boxes with all my "exotica" books and magazines that date back from the beginning of the cultural revolution. Kidding. But one of the books that I started to read again was the second edition of "Men of Thailand." I vaguely remember that I bought it sometime in 1996, when I was preparing my first trip to Thailand the next year. I was almost going to throw it to the recycle bin, but then I decided to do a Google search to see if there is a new edition. Well, no. But Amazon.com shows that it is worth $120 US as a collector's item. Ah, something worth more than my Lehman Brother's bonds.

Anyway, it is amazing that it has been over 15 years since I first travelled over there. No instant website reservations. Maybe Emails. Some faxes and phone calls. Memorable experiences, specially my introduction to the Coffee Boy bar in Chiang Mai. I am sure all you guys have similar memories.

dab69
November 19th, 2012, 07:33
remember deliberately leaving my co[y of TMOT 1996 in LCR hotel books
as I was afraid to have US customs stumble upon it on my return

Davey still has a great avatar pic :sign12:

dab69
November 22nd, 2012, 06:40
one copy on ebay
Buy it now ($100) or Best offer

put in a bid($25) but they rejected it

two copies on Amazon for $64.98

was really hoping to reread some parts,
especially about the bars in Pattaya at that time

maybe you could scan some pages for
the forum and submit it for historical reference/"posterity"?

christianpfc
December 19th, 2012, 20:47
At the Thais4life bookshop in Pattaya, they had one or two copies from the 90s, for 80 Baht each, when I visited two weeks ago. They had significant signs of usage (as has the copy I bought there last year).