PDA

View Full Version : New Boyz Town Sign Up Today

aot871
November 15th, 2012, 20:33
I have just seen the new boys town sign

Marsilius
November 15th, 2012, 20:51
Unless it's the angle from which the picture was taken, this seems more in-your-face than the old sign.

In that case, those theories being put about that the "big players" were about to reinvent Soi 3 as a bland non-gay-specific area didn't prove to be true after all.

frequentflier
November 15th, 2012, 23:46
Is that sign really necessary?
I dont like the idea of asian tourists being paraded down the soi while people are having their meals at the hotels.Having your pics taken while you eating is an invasion of privacy.I say get rid of the Boyztown name on the sign.Of course it will not happen..

dab69
November 16th, 2012, 00:39
rarely do I eat hanging from the sign anymore...
HATE getting my picture taken next to it

used to eat at the LCR terrace nightly watching the boys report for duty about 7:50 ish
big deal if somepne takes my picture eating

Halfhansum
November 16th, 2012, 00:49
What does it say underneath ?? Doesnt look like Thai writing . :dontknow:

joe552
November 16th, 2012, 01:38
Looks like Thai to me, but I don't read Thai so don't know what it says. "Abandon hope all ye who enter here" perhaps? :dontknow:

Neal
November 16th, 2012, 01:48
Yes it is Thai. I would assume that it says Boyz Town. The reason I say this is because the law here in Thailand is that signs that are in English must also be translated into Thai language so they can be read by Thai speaking people. The Thai letters on 99% of all signs are much much smaller because the crazy law says that the charge for erecting a sign will be based on the area of the Thai letters and not the space the entire rest of the signs take up. So that's why it probably says Boys Town.

Next time you are out walking around look at some signs and on everyone that is in English look at the real small Thai writing. It will be the name in Thai pronunciation. I know that from the Happy Place signage.

neddy3
November 16th, 2012, 04:46
What does it say underneath ?? Doesnt look like Thai writing . :dontknow:

It reads 'BOYS TOWN'.

A font used which closer resembles Western letters.

Oliver
November 16th, 2012, 15:40
Sorry to be pedantic, but there should be an apostrophe after the "Z"......"Boyz' Town."

painai2
November 16th, 2012, 16:16
The two large words in Thai script in the sign are pronounced "Boy Tow", with the s in Boyz and n in town silent. The silent letters are written in the Thai script, but are not pronounced. The words in the bottom right corner are pronounced "Pattayalan Soi 3", with the d in Pattayaland being silent.

Neal
November 16th, 2012, 17:43
:sign5: OK shoot me. The point is that the intent is to make it sound like Boys Town. Help me Marsilius!! :tongue3:

November 16th, 2012, 17:57
Having read the post from Painai2 - I am left wondering:

If indeed Thai script can be manipulated phonetically in such a way as to get a Thai speaker to say BOY TOW as in the usual pidgin English version, then why can't it be manipulated so that a Thai speaker will say BOYZ TOWN? Does the Thai language not contain the "S" "Z" or "N" sounds?

I don't get it.

:dontknow:

Marsilius
November 16th, 2012, 18:38
I'm happy to help in most matters, DaBoss, but I know as much about Thai script as I do about quantum physics.

On this issue I will defer to painai2 who gives the appearance, at least, of knowing what he's writing about.

Halfhansum
November 16th, 2012, 20:30
I think i prefer the old sign .. At least it was ap'propriately bent .. :happy7:

joe552
November 16th, 2012, 21:25
at last Oliver gets his apostrophe :occasion9:

christianpfc
November 16th, 2012, 21:53
If indeed Thai script can be manipulated phonetically in such a way as to get a Thai speaker to say BOY TOW as in the usual pidgin English version, then why can't it be manipulated so that a Thai speaker will say BOYZ TOWN? Does the Thai language not contain the "S" "Z" or "N" sounds?

In Thai there are no words that end in "S" or "Z", there are letters that are pronounced like "S" or "Z" when in the middle or at the beginning of a word, but at the end they are prononced like "T". There are only few consonant clusters in Thai language, and they occur at the beginning of a word. A Thai would insert an unwritten "O" or "A" between "W" and "N". So without muting the final letters, it would be pronounced like BO-YAT TA-WAN (completely different dirstribution of letters to syllables).

painai2
November 16th, 2012, 22:29
Did Christian not notice that there is a gaaran or silence character (р╣М) above the last consonant in the words to indicate that that letter is not pronounced? That's often the case when a loanword from another language keeps the same spelling in the Thai language, but has a letter that the Thai does not pronounce. In this case, the words Boys Town would be pronounced the same by a Thai, just leave off the s and n will saying it.

francois
November 16th, 2012, 23:23
The words in the bottom right corner are pronounced "Pattayalan Soi 3", with the d in Pattayaland being silent.

Painai; would or would not the words in right corner be pronounced "Pattayalan Soi Sam/Sahm rather than an English 3(three)?

painai2
November 16th, 2012, 23:32
Francois, yes, of course, a Thai pronounces the number 3 as sam/sahm. It's interesting how seldom you see a Thai writing numbers using Thai script. They write the numbers as Arabic but say them using Thai pronunctiatioin.