PDA

View Full Version : Loy Krathong November 28th 2012

christianpfc
November 13th, 2012, 23:51
This year's Loy Krathong (р╕ер╕нр╕вр╕Бр╕гр╕░р╕Р§Ñ€â••Ð—) will be on November 28th and I will be in Thailand, but I don't have a plan where I will spend it.

This will be my first Loy Krathong. Any advice about travelling and booking hotels on Loy Krathong? Is the festival just one day or does it extend around the main date? If I spend it with a Thai friend, will this send a message I do not intend to send (I do not intend to become boyfriend, spending Loy Krathong together is just by coincidence, our paths just cross by chance on Loy Krathong)? Do Thais spend it with family or with friends?

colmx
November 14th, 2012, 04:38
HI Christian...
Don't you normally visit Thailand around Christmas/new Year?
No plans to go there (at that time) this year?

Sorry i can't help much with your OP... But from the 2 LKs that i have attended... both were seen as kind of a romantic setting...
So in my opinion asking someone to join you on LK may send out the wrong message!

newalaan
November 14th, 2012, 05:10
If I spend it with a Thai friend, will this send a message I do not intend to send (I do not intend to become boyfriend, spending Loy Krathong together is just by coincidence, our paths just cross by chance on Loy Krathong)? Do Thais spend it with family or with friends?
I agree with Colmx (and yourself) in that you may definitely send out the 'wrong message' going with a specific boy, to avoid this you wil have to make it absolutely clear you want to 'join' some friends just to experience the event. Many boys do go home to be with family, but many are just happy to be with friends and use the occassion to think of those close to their heart no matter where they are. In my bf's village it turns into a week long celebration with no work in the fields etc...Many of the relatives do come home for it.

Never yet experienced it myself, if the date fell close to the start of November one year I would def make an effort to be in Thailand at that time. I would think arrangements for hotels etc would have to made well in advance in the likes of Sukothai and Chaing Mai etc..

fedssocr
November 14th, 2012, 06:05
LK in Sukhothai is awesome and worth doing. But I agree you probably needed to book something a while ago. Phitsanulok is also really neat at LK. They have these spinning light displays all around town and down by the river they have colored fluorescent lights hanging in the trees.

In Sukhothai and Phitsanulok the festivities start a few days before the main event on the actual day.

Of course you read all the time that Chiang Mai is great as well.

anonone
November 14th, 2012, 18:13
I will be in Thailand for LK this year as well, also my first time for it.

BF and I will probably hit up one of the beach vendor parties at Dongtan Beach for the night....not sure yet. We will decide about it once I arrive.

As for sharing the night with a new Thai friend, I would think the outcome would be dependent on the particular Thai. Some might perceive it as "fate" and want to fall in love. Some might be happy they found someone to party with for the night.

Who knows Christian....maybe this is the night you will find your perfect Thai boyfriend? :love4:
Not always a bad thing to be a romantic at heart...good luck.

fedssocr
November 15th, 2012, 06:51
There is definitely romance in the air then. When I was in Sukhothai you could practically feel all the hormones going around. Hundreds of teenage boys and girls looking to hook up.