PDA

View Full Version : The "Mafia" ??

November 12th, 2012, 18:24
So, on reading an article posted below from a link by A447 as written by a doorman at a club in Bkk, he was asked what annoyed his night etc to which he said drunk people and "the mafia" which lead me to wonder what exactly is meant by that phrase in Thailand?

http://bk.asia-city.com/nightlife/article/bouncer-pong

Obviously there's the old famous italian idea of the Mafia where it's a definite organisation, with leaders and formal up the line reporting structures plus their junior hench men out enforcing the bosses wishes and the like but i've also found in other places that the term mafia is a very general term bandied about just to mean general "bad guys" whether that just be a group of bad guys or perhaps 10 or 20 "hoods" who are continually working / torturing an area and annoying the locals but aren't in any way "organised" outside of their own small group, or it's maybe even several groups of hoods and thugs perhaps just out throwing their weight about in general who may "look" like an organised group and so may sometimes get referred to as "mafia" as if you cross one they'll come back with their mates the next night and cause trouble etc - thus perhaps leading people to believe they are actually more organised or "connected" then they really are - so which is it do we think ? - a formal top to bottom, structured organisation that has branches and contacts stretching right across Thailand absolutely exists and pervades every level of Thai society OR is it just bands of loosely organised thugs / criminals who by their nature tend to know each other in different cities etc who stick together and so pass their money making rackets and ideas around each other.

And I DO realise before anyone points it out that the two examples above are almost identical but my point was as to the structure of the organisation and is it as big and as organised as us mere mortals sometimes assume and give then credit for ( if credit is the right word !) perhaps OR just a lose group of unorganised local thugs in each town ?

PS if I wake up with a horses head on the pillow beside me tomorrow morning I guess we'll have our answer ! lol

joe552
November 12th, 2012, 19:29
and if you DON'T wake up tomorrow, we'll all have our answer :occasion9:

Marsilius
November 12th, 2012, 19:32
Using this board's search facility end entering the word "mafia" brings up 20 pages of posts where the word has featured in one context or another. Seems that there's a consensus that something may well be "rotten in the state of Thailand"!

November 12th, 2012, 19:53
... if I wake up with a horses head on the pillow beside me tomorrow morning....

If that should happen, I sincerely hope that you will have the consideration to let us know the name of the bar you offed the horse from.

I know several Pattaya size queens who would be most excited by the possibility.

:occasion9:

ceejay
November 12th, 2012, 21:09
NIrish Guy - you might find it interesting to Google "Kamnan Poh".
http://www.bangkokpost.com/lite/topstor ... ma-at-work (http://www.bangkokpost.com/lite/topstories/316364/democracy-is-simply-karma-at-work)

Sooty
November 13th, 2012, 15:50
The Mafia and the Thai police - same same.

Neal
November 14th, 2012, 18:02
Ya know Sooty, I have tried to take a back seat to the forum for the last several weeks and be more quiet than usual so as not to get the instigators posting crap-ola about my very very limited editing or deleting but it doesn't seem to work. The second I pop my head out, snap there are a few posters I love that are ready to pounce.

I want to answer a few things here.
#1 Owners of many places, the majority of bars and things on a particular soi in Boyz Town have changed, been sold. Therefore it is objectionable at least to me and and a few owners who I took hours today and listen to, to pin on them the reputations from past. They and I agree that complaints and such are no longer relevent today and the term Mafia and such should really be avoided. To answer the OP's question, the boys use it all the time to refer to other boys either one or more that can try to intimidate other boys or even sometimes falang. It's not the Mafia as we know it. Sure there are some intimidating Russian and other people here that throw their weight around but it is not the real Mafia as we know it. Sicilian mobsters running around Pattaya.

#2 Some have discussed the term cartel with me. Hmmmm another thing that we the people of the forum have possibly mistaken business with mafia or cartel. It is common here in Thailand and almost all other countries I can think of that if Joe Blow on the street is charging and getting 200 baht for a drink, well why not me too? That there are no mysterious meetings discussing prices but actually as did I with Happy Place, when I was near ready to open, I went around and got everyone elses menu and priced it deliberately lower. Sure I could have charged the same but I did not want to. Yes, I did say that I was approached by one group who said "This is what we charge and I hope you will stay the same", but it was not a threat and people as well as bars change and the person I am referring to is gone anyway. Changed hands so to speak. So it is the past.

#3 Everyone keeps talking about Boys Town high prices for a drink. Many properly argue and I can say it is damned well true, they have a show and these shows are not cheap. Sure, some bars appear to ride the coat tails of the show bars and charge 180 or so for a drink and have no show. Why? Well I don't know so you need to clue the other bar owners and me in as to why they think they need to and post the answers. But you always don't have to GO IN!

4. As with anything else, someone told me today, "I don't eat at Mati Hari's because I can't afford to eat there. I don't bitch about the 10% tip at high priced restaurants cause I don't eat there. Sure a person can say it is not done where I come from and up to them but I am not going to use lame excuses like I need to look at everything and choose how much I will leave. I won't run to Sawatdee or another board and bitch about their prices. He also said that he doesn't go to Boys Town and drink because it is too expensive for him and he drinks in Jomtien Complex or Sunee. He knows that the prices in the bars in BT reflect air conditioning, shows, and knowing that prostitution and go go bars are ILLEGAL some people get a hefty price so that they can stay open. All these costs go into the cost of the drink. Hmmmm makes sense to me. He said like in the restaurant, he does not drink a coke or mixed drink in Boys Town or Boys Town area or Pattayaland whichever you want to call it because he can't afford the drinks. He does not go there and then run to the forum to complain about it. Shit, all makes sense to me!!

Now let's talk about those men in brown , Sooty. When I came to Thailand some 12 years ago, I was told if I wanted to live here or visit here regularly there were three topics of discussion I should not speak of. One is the Royal Family, 2 was the Army, and three was the police. I have not and will not. I will tell you that Happy Place runs just fine and the questions of work visas are not an issue as is everything else. Take a clue from this everyone. Let's not discuss it here or anywhere else. It just ain't wise. I know.