PDA

View Full Version : Gifts for Thai friends

christianpfc
November 12th, 2012, 03:01
Gifts for Thai friends

My general problem: A Thai friend invites me to his home and I stay there with him (and parents of relatives depending on the situation) for one or two nights (including breakfast and/or dinner at home). If we go out I will pay for restaurant and transport and entry. But still: how can I show my appreciation for their hospitality? Some gift from Germany or Thailand that is easy to transport. And how to avoid counter-gifts (for which I have no use)? (I am not a gift person. I don't want any gifts and usually I don't give any gifts.)

In practice (from Trip report Ko Sichang):

The whole trip (from ferry port Sri Ratcha and back) cost me 700 Baht (no expenses for hotel, no whoring around, no expenses for food apart from one lunch we had together). Now my burning question: what can I bring for P and/or his foster parents when I come back? I think they are middle class (house with many rooms, some oft hem not occupied, big TV and frige, P has his own тАУ small тАУ room with aircon and fast computer and fast internet and two flat screens), how can I show my appreciation of their hospitality? The situation is even worse: I came empty-handed and left with some postcards P bought for me as a souvenir and a cotton wool tote bag that was a gift from his boss.

In this particular case I might invite him to тАЮFlight of the GibbonтАЬ near Sri Ratcha which is easy to reach from his place and which he showed an interest in.

Mancs
November 12th, 2012, 05:02
An idea from another forum: different whiskey miniatures to sit in the display cabinet? Or something else that can be displayed?

adman5000
November 12th, 2012, 07:01
When I have stayed or dined as guests of Thai families, I have brought a gift basket (that may include a bottle of liquor) available at most Thai supermarkets such as Big C or TESCO/LOTUS. Sometimes I have added flowers/garlands for buddha.

Neal
November 12th, 2012, 08:26
Actually if you go to Foodland or many other shops you may "go shopping" and then have the items you have selected nicely put into your customized basket and wrapped in plastic as they do. Very nice. I think mothers don't like the idea of liquor as gifts but fathers do. Stay away from perishables.

gumblebee
November 13th, 2012, 04:36
Most Thais I know reallly like perfume from Europe.

You'll just have to use your judgment as to which one to to choose.