PDA

View Full Version : Vientiane & Luang Prabang - any advice?

louis50
November 2nd, 2012, 19:25
Hi Guys,

I'll be in Laos for 12 days over Christmas and New Year and would really appreciate any up-to-date info on where to meet local guys as well as recommendations on interesting places to visit. I'm staying at Lao Orchid hotel in Vientiane and Santi Resort in LP. Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot

newyorkgeorge
November 3rd, 2012, 00:15
My advice, dont go! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

November 3rd, 2012, 04:23
Lol have to say Louis the above was the very first thing I thought as well, especially for 12 days !! But didn't want to sound negative as I'm guessing its already all planned, so to try and be positive from memory one of the gay bars is called CCC bar and I found the staff to be friendly, I also found a nice french restaurant in which to fine just around the corner from it. Re some of the guys on gay Romeo if that's your thing I was warned by a few locals to just be careful as some on the guys maybe weren't perhaps as honest as they suggested on their profiles - but I guess you can find that anywhere, anyway hope you enjoy anyway.

nanette
November 3rd, 2012, 10:08
Just go & enjoy the friendly people, nice river & mountain sceneries. Laos is very laid-back, but hotels, restaurants & transportation are acceptable to most visitors.

Spend some time chatting with the guys on Gayromeo. I've met a few this way & have had some satisfying encounters.
Some hotels/guesthouses are explicit about not allowing commercial sex workers(females) to your room, but many others don't cause too much trouble... from my many visits there.

Last week I stayed at Sinnakhone hotel on Francois Ngin road in Vientiane, & the staff at reception didn't make any issue about one guy spending the night with me, & another coming over for a hot afternnon romp. These were guys from Gayromeo, in their early twenties. The first guy even took me to his nearby village by the Mekong river on his motorbike. He only asked for gasoline money & a T-shirt & boxer short that took his fancy, & we also went for meals at several Lao restaurants. The second guy was happy with just the sex & a small tip for petrol. I didn't feel insecure with any of my encounters so far.

There is the GQ bar on Chao Anou road near the Mekong river with friendly staff, but on most nights the place was pretty quiet.
If you meet a willing guy, he can take you explore the other bars & discos frequented by gays.
Don't think too much. Laos is a nice place for tourists. :happy7:

a447
November 3rd, 2012, 17:19
If you are looking for gay sex, take newyorkgeorge's advice.
I did write a report on my visit in 2011 in which I mentioned the Heng Heng massage place in Vientiane. Nice happy ending. Walk up the street away from the hotel until you reach the main road. Turn left and you'll find it opposite the Novotel Hotel.
Also, if you step out of the Lao orchid and turn left and walk about 30 metres or so, you will come across a gay bar on the other side of the road. I picked up a guy from there and he came back to the Lao Orchid with me. No problem.
I wandered along the riverfront and up to the fountain - both places are supposedly gay cruising areas - but saw nothing.
As for LP, I didn't finds any gay action. I visited the one and only "gay" bar but it was dead. I believe it may have closed. But it didn't matter, as LP was simply awesome!!

http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/laos-report-t21341.html?hilit=Lao%20Orchid might be of some help.

christianpfc
November 4th, 2012, 02:48
I was in Laos for a week in January/February 2011, some of your questions will be answered by reading my report: http://www.gaybuttonthai.com/viewtopic. ... 42&p=23560 (http://www.gaybuttonthai.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2542&p=23560)

kjun12
November 4th, 2012, 03:46
When you get back from Laos please let us know what your experience is. I have only heard that it is a boring place.

pong
November 4th, 2012, 07:53
just as boring-or maybe a little less, as the average Isany town-after all they speak the same, nah? But nature is infinitely more beautiful.
Was in LP years+years ago, when they still warned about the ''dangerous'' bus ride to there. Got seduced in the early morning by a guesthse breakfast waiter-who seemed to eager to make a date. The 1 and only disco then opened from 22 till 23 or so and only did lao music-the real meatmarket was after, when everyone was kicked out.
Check-if you want some preparation-the usual sites like utopia, travelgayasia, fridae, gayscout or maybe even a note on trevvy (from SIN)
For me it is amazing that more+mpore Lao gay guys seem to make it to BKK's massage parlors.

louis50
November 4th, 2012, 09:06
Thanks very much for all the info/advice. Will have a look at all the reports/websites that have been mentioned. Despite some people saying 'don't go' I'm really looking forward to it.
I'll post a report in the New Year when I get back to Jakarta that hopefully will be of use to anyone planning a trip to Laos in the future.

Thanks again, guys.

Neal
November 4th, 2012, 13:46
I don't think anyone should ever say not to go somewhere. What intrests one may intrest another. Have a great time and hope you find it interesting and report back.

Brad the Impala
November 5th, 2012, 05:20
Luang Prabang is the gayest place I've been to, anywhere in the world. It seemed to have the highest proportion of gay men, and local to LP, that I have found anywhere. Maybe my experience was an aberration, but see no reason to think that. Some of you guys just can't see beyond the numbers on underpants scenario to see the rest of the world. I was there ten years ago, and doubt that it has got any less gay since then. Recommend the drive from Vientiane for spectacular scenery.

Monte
November 5th, 2012, 07:12
Having spent a week or more in Vientiane half a dozen times in the past four years, I would declare emphatically that it is by far my favorite Southeast Asian capital. Charming, attractive, quiet, laid back, welcoming, and inexpensive, this small city offers the best food outside France, the most reasonable hotel rates, and the lowest liquor prices to be found in the region. For the most part, the boys are poor and very appreciative of a generous farang. Gay life may be discreet, but itтАЩs very available. I always stay at the Hotel Douang Deuane (http://www.agoda.com/asia/laos/vientian ... hotel.html (http://www.agoda.com/asia/laos/vientiane/douang_deuane_hotel.html)) where comfortable, spacious, and immaculate rooms are $25 per night, including breakfast, free wireless, refrigerator, TV, and speedy elevators. Agoda says sold out in December, but I had no problem booking two rooms for early December by e-mailing the hotel directly (dd_hotel@hotmail.com).

Like Rangoon, Vientiane is a town that time forgotтАФfull of gorgeous, crumbling French colonial mansions, attractive temples, empty streets, and absolutely splendid restaurants. Most amazing in this day and age is the American embassyтАФguarded by a single, unarmed policeman dozing in a chair at the front gate!

yaraboy
November 7th, 2012, 03:00
I have lived in Vientiane for 3 to 4 months a year for 4 years. My BF and I have a house there. Regarding bars likely the best bet is CCC bar. GQ is not as popular. Hotel Douang Deuane is well located but I think a little tired. Lots of accommodation under $50 available. I agree that food choices are excellent. For really good lao food go to Lao Kitchen (near Culture Hall)
City has lost some of its charm with rapid growth,constant construction and too many cars but is still very liveable. The new Mekong walkway is very nice.
Boredom is not a factor for me but a visitor wanting big city amenities might feel that way after 3 or 4 days.

Anyway Vientiane is worth a visit and there is no shortage of hot looking guys

fedssocr
November 7th, 2012, 08:30
I enjoyed my visit to Laos a few years ago. Preferred LP much more than Vientiane. Hope to get down to Pakse some day.

I didn't find it to be particularly gay but I wasn't really on the lookout for it there.

Enjoy the atmosphere in LP. Definitely go to the Kuang Sii waterfall. And take the boat ride up the Mekong.

When you are in LP stop by Big Brother Mouse and lend them a hand. www.bigbrothermouse.com (http://www.bigbrothermouse.com) They publish children's book in local languages and give them away to school kids in villages all over the country.