PDA

View Full Version : Don Mueang to Pattaya - Best transport

goteed1
November 1st, 2012, 09:40
I'll be flying into Don Mueang on a Friday afternoon (right before NYE) and was not sure about the best way to get into Pattaya. I don't think they have any established bus service yet like BKK, so would a taxi be the best idea? Do the private taxi services do this like BKK? Also, on a busy Friday afternoon, how long would the ride be and what do you think a taxi would cost.

Another note, I'll be in Bangkok for a couple of nights the weekend before and I was checking hotel rates on Agoda (through the link here of course) and noticed that the Tarntawan is MORE expensive than the Dusit Thani?

$143 a night for the basic room? Without breakfast? When did this place get so pricey? (Link below if it works)

http://www.agoda.com/asia/thailand/bang ... d&tyra=1|4 (http://www.agoda.com/asia/thailand/bangkok/tarntawan_place_hotel.html?asq=7K3muzopUqI8Focr0XP 3WJugigTVSJePLoQj%2bYebENJCvGaGqeHSzaCEgFcwtI69SVR PguCwpkVedtNVPAna0MB7uQC66E5SpO6NTjOFXy%2f41%2fXLI GaEnTCg8hVZkFqd&tyra=1|4)

ceejay
November 1st, 2012, 10:30
Yes, a taxi is probably best. Yes, the private firms will pick up from Don Muang. I suggest you email Mr T Taxi (mr_ttaxi@hotmail.com). It'll be about 1000 baht to pick up, maybe a little more for DMK. Mr T always confirms the price when he confirms the booking. I've never done the Pattaya DMK journey at a really busy time but generally it has taken me one and a half to two hours.
As for the Tarntawan, I've seen this before with Agoda. Lord knows where they get these prices from. I always book the Tarntawan direct by email or through their website.

NickysGayPattaya
November 1st, 2012, 11:48
You might like to look at post257706.html?hilit=don%20mueang#p257706 (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/post257706.html?hilit=don%20mueang#p257706)

Just to pull one small piece

1) Bus from Jomtien to Suvarnabhumi as before (134B from the place on the corner of Thappraya and Thepprasit Roads) then taxi from Suvarnabhumi to Don Mueang (quoted cost around 500B - allow UP TO 2 HOURS depending on time of day for the taxi alone). Total journey time between 2 1/2 hours (if you're very, very lucky) and 4 hours.

2) Minibus from Pattaya to Victory Monument (100 B from many places, including outside the family mart in Pattaya Tai just East of Wat Chai and before you get to Tukcom) and then taxi to Don Mueang (quoted cost around 200 to 300B. again allow around 90 minutes). Total journey time between 3 and 4 hours.

So I agree - private taxi is best. However I'd allow more like 3 hours and possibly more than that on a Friday afternoon.

This post pretty thoroughly covered the subject, and as far as I know nothing's changed since this was written - APART from a new flight service from DM to U-Tapao. And with all that's been said I wouldn't take that as a serious option

Nicky

Marsilius
November 1st, 2012, 13:27
Reminds me of how awful the Don Mueang - Pattaya - Don Mueang journeys used to be before the opening of the new airport. In building BKK, Taksin did one good thing for tourists at least, even if the interior design was woefully botched (e.g. ludicrously inadequate provision of lavatories) until the issues were later addressed.

pong
November 1st, 2012, 15:46
1.the request was for a trip TO PTY-so time has jyst to be taken what it will be-no need to catch flights. One may expect THAT friday to empty out the whole of normal BKK and giant jams on any expressway.
2.for the benfeit of those indeed using lower cost publ transity: FRom PTY any of those minibuses to Vict Mon wold be best-or a direct bus to Swampy and then the free shuttle bus to DMK from there (2/hour from m6.00-21.00-you must have a same or next day booking on AirAsia-but thats not checked). From the Vict Mon. are buses every minute along the main highway along DMK-buses 29,510 or tollwaybus 538. Or use the 59-goes via Sena/Bang khen-and make a final stopoff at sauna's like Cruising or the new GAYA or a massage at some 5-6 places-the last one under the flight-approach is K-male.

arsenal
November 1st, 2012, 16:29
At 1000 Baht (plus 100 tip and 15 for the iced coffee I always buy the driver) for a taxi waiting for you in arrivals to whisk you to your hotel door I cannot understand why anyone would subject themselves to the misery of a bus.

christianpfc
November 1st, 2012, 23:18
I use public busses a lot in Bangkok. But I have come to question if it is worth walking 10 min, then wait 10 min for the bus, and then walk again 10 min to my destination when all can be done in half the time by taxi and will cost just 50 baht more. On the other hand, I will never meet my future boyfriend when I am sitting in a taxi, but I might meet him when I am waiting for the bus or sitting in the bus or walking to or from the bus stop.

But back to the op: I always stay a few days in Bkk when I arrive in Thailand and before I leave Thailand, so I don't have this problem. (Ooop, that was not the question, but here is my opinion nonetheless.)

goteed1
November 2nd, 2012, 08:28
Well, a taxi it is. Least hassle. Looking forward to my first visit to Pattaya and New years in Pattaya as well. Any suggestions as to where to ring in the new year?

ceejay
November 2nd, 2012, 09:54
Any suggestions as to where to ring in the new year?
Provided you don't mind crowds, the Bali Hai Pier (far end of Walking Street from Beach Road). There'll be live music, a countdown for the New Year and fireworks to follow.

Marsilius
November 2nd, 2012, 12:33
It's more fun for gay visitors to spend the time in Sunnee Plaza where the boys pour out of the bars onto the street at midnight to join in the celebrations. I imagine the same thing happens in Boyztown too, even though the clubs are run rather more tightly there.

goteed1
November 4th, 2012, 06:41
"It's more fun for gay visitors to spend the time in Sunnee Plaza where the boys pour out of the bars onto the street at midnight to join in the celebrations"

Well, then, my NYE plans are set. If you see a drunken farang running around Sunnee Plaza at midnight with a giant butterfly net, just say hello. Thanks for all of the advice.

max

RonanTheBarbarian
November 5th, 2012, 04:15
I believe that the Bell Travel Service now has three buses a day from Don Muang to Pattaya, if the times suit they could be a cheaper option.

According to their website the price is 350 baht per person. From what i can see their model will involve bringing you from DM to BKK airport, and then on down to Pattaya on their regular BKK to Pattaya service.

egel
November 6th, 2012, 01:11
$143 a night for the basic room? Without breakfast? When did this place get so pricey? (Link below if it works)

I guess because:
1. You are staying for a weekend and
2. It is near New Years Eve.

Enter any other dates and the usual prices appear. (2300 Bt).

peeseua
November 6th, 2012, 10:14
I believe that the Bell Travel Service now has three buses a day from Don Muang to Pattaya, if the times suit they could be a cheaper option.

According to their website the price is 350 baht per person. From what i can see their model will involve bringing you from DM to BKK airport, and then on down to Pattaya on their regular BKK to Pattaya service.

Thanks for this, Ronan. Here's the relevant link to their page if anyone's interested.

http://www.belltravelservice.com/routes_rates.php#

I'm not sure that it'll do me any good as their last bus from DM leaves at 6.30pm and my flight probably touches down around 6.00pm or occasionally later, so I might still have to either take a taxi directly to Pattya or else spend a night in Bangkok first. For comparison, that would work out to something like -

Taxi from DM airport to Pattaya - 1500 Baht

against

Taxi from airport to Surawongse Road - 300-700 Baht
One night in a hotel there - 1100-1200 Baht
Other expenses (e.g. meals, BTS to Ekkamai, etc.) - 200 Baht
Getting from the bus stop to Sunee Plaza - 200 Baht
(and this is just a conservative eestimate of expenses not including any fun I might have at Soi Twilight that first night)

I guess the choice is obvious since I'm an el cheapo sex tourist and prefer to get to Pattaya as quickly as I can to party as cheaply as possible before spending a night or two in BKK on my way back and getting my rocks off for a last time (but at a much higher price).

:party

christianpfc
April 3rd, 2013, 23:13
I use public busses a lot in Bangkok. But I have come to question if it is worth walking 10 min, then wait 10 min for the bus, and then walk again 10 min to my destination when all can be done in half the time by taxi and will cost just 50 baht more. On the other hand, I will never meet my future boyfriend when I am sitting in a taxi, but I might meet him when I am waiting for the bus or sitting in the bus or walking to or from the bus stop.

This post caused some bewilderment: http://bangkokbois.wordpress.com/catego ... es/page/3/ (http://bangkokbois.wordpress.com/category/thailand-travel-tips-and-tales/page/3/)

Now I have a case to support my claim.

Some time in February I was waiting for bus 29 at the corner Phayathai - Rama 4 road near Sam Yam MRT station late at night. A Thai man (age about 60) approached me and said something like "Hello, you are late today" which gave me the impression that he either knows me or expected me (probably just a trick to get my attention - it worked). After some general chat (good English), he asked how long my cock was and what brand of underwear I am wearing. He even got me to lift my T-Shirt by asking if I was slim and isisting on seeing my body. Finally, the penny dropped and I asked him if he liked men or women. He replied "I like you" and suggested we go to my place for a drink and more. I politely declined and he soon lost interest.

This is my only potential hook-up by using public transport. From this incident and spottings of cute on various trips and my average use of public transport, I calculate a probability of a hook-up while using public transport of once every 230 years.

(subject overlaps with people spotting / hook up on public transport where-are-your-favorite-people-watching-spots-thailand-t28479-15.html (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/where-are-your-favorite-people-watching-spots-thailand-t28479-15.html))

Back to the original question (in the meantime I had a similar problem: living close to Don Mueang and travelling to Pattya), I can advise which is the cheapest way: take the free transfer bus between Don Mueang and Suvarnabhumi (they might ask for a flight ticket) or bus 554 or 555 (about every 10 minutes, they end at the public transport center, not at the passenger terminal) to Suvarnabhumi and then bus 389 (aka "Sex Tourist Express", leaves every full hour, stops at public transport center and passenger terminal) for 134 Baht to Pattaya (various stops along Sukhumvit, last in Jomtien). Travelling time about 1 hour from Don Mueang to Suvarnabhumi and 2 hours from Suvarnabhumi to Pattaya.

Beachlover
April 4th, 2013, 13:44
I have come to question if it is worth walking 10 min, then wait 10 min for the bus, and then walk again 10 min to my destination when all can be done in half the time by taxi and will cost just 50 baht more.
Yep... That's why I don't catch the bus in Bangkok or anywhere in the world... Just don't have the patience to hang around waiting.

In Bangkok I alternate between taxis and skytrain (unless I'm being driven around by friends/family). I take taxis by default but when it's peak hour and I know the traffic will be dead standstill bad, I take the skytrain.

christianpfc
April 5th, 2013, 15:46
Here my detailed description of the probably cheapest way (could save 34 baht by taking free shuttle bus between the airports) to get from Don Mueang to Pattaya:

My optimization of the trip is now complete. There were topics about how to get from Don Mueang to Pattaya, it's almost the same, just add 5 minutes.

Friday 29.03.2013 Bkk to Pty
walk 15 minutes from my work place to bus stop (opposite Wat Lak Si), wait 10 minutes for bus 554 (Don Muang - Suvarnabhumi, could take bus 555 as well)
15:00 - 15:54 bus to Suvarnabhumi Transport Center (the bus does not pass Passenger Terminal) 34 Baht
buy ticket for bus 389 (Suvarnabhumi - Pattaya) 134 Baht, time of departure 16:45 (from Transport Center, 17:00 from Passenger Terminal)
16:36 - 16:46 from Transport Center to Passenger Terminal (yes, they were indeed leaving earlier then the ticket said)
16:58 - 19:04 from Passenger Terminal to Jomtien
walk 5 minutes to Jomtien Complex where my guesthouse is

cost: 168 Baht, duration: approximately 4 hours (1 hour local bus, 2 hours Bkk to Pty, 1 hour walking or waiting).

Sunday 31.03.2013 Pty to Bkk
14:30 leave Jomtien beach, pick up my luggage in Jomtien Complex (I check out before noon, leave my luggage at the reception, and spend part of the afternoon at the beach, thus maximizing my time in Pattaya without paying for another night), walk to bus stop in Jomtien
15:00 bus leaves to Bangkok, ticket 134 Baht
17:29 bus arrives at Passenger Terminal (this is where most passengers get off, only three stay)
17:36 bus arrives at Transport Center
17:45 - 18:41 bus 554 (could take bus 555 as well) to IT-square 34 Baht
walk back home about 20 minutes

cost and duration as above

Thus, my optimization is finished. "price quality time choose two" The only problem that remains is that I will have to wait one hour if bus 389 is fully booked.

If you wonder about the transport center, I had problems finding it on a map, but finally got it, here is the location:

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=13.71 ... z=19&z=199 (http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=13.712224,100.769766&hl=en&sll=13.712242,100.769777&sspn=0.001806,0.00327&t=h&mra=mift&mrsp=0&sz=19&z=199)

Full topic on http://gaybuttonthai.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5567