PDA

View Full Version : buying the condo in pattaya

Chris2324
October 31st, 2012, 01:15
we decided to buy the condo so we can spend winters here with rest of you guys.
so any recommendations for real estate agent? i also need a good thai lawyer since i want my lawyer to independently review contracts etc. apart from real estate agent.
please help me

Manforallseasons
October 31st, 2012, 01:25
Being a long term condo owner in Pattaya my best advice at the moment would be to rent, Pattaya is changing rapidly, the resale market is weak and there is no reason for it to change in the immediate future. If I had to do it again I would only rent for the time I want to be here, rentals of every type and price are readily available.

October 31st, 2012, 10:17
Please do consider carefully the response of Manforallseasons.

I would buy a condo in Thailand if (1) I were prepared to wait 5-10 years to re-sell or (2) if I intended to give it to bf or leave it to him in my will. Otherwise, renting is the only thing that makes sense to me at this time.

My house in Pattaya was on the market for three years. Originally asked 8 mil Baht. Sold it this year for 6.5 mil Baht and had to pay an agent a few thousand USD to get the money out of Thailand.

bruce_nyc
October 31st, 2012, 15:31
Before even reading any replies... and having no experience with this in Thailand whatsoever.... That's exactly what I was going to say....

Rent. Rent. Rent.

Smart people rent. Rich people rent.

Even if you want to leave money to your boyfriend(s) in your Will.... Do that separately.

Rent your house or apartment.

You'll probably get much better service for a lot less money too.

And if not, switch to a new place next trip.... as easy as switching hotels!

travelerjim
October 31st, 2012, 20:33
Great advice from other posters...

RENT...RENT...RENT

A renters paradise...many fine and nicely furnished condos
available at deep discounted prices from before.

Good Luck...and keep your $$$ in your home country.

tj

Neal
October 31st, 2012, 20:55
I agree with rent but not sure I agree that the reason is to keep it in your home country although maybe yes that may be where you want it.
I would think that the reason to rent is the market for selling here and throughout the world. I would figure out how old you are, how long you expect to stay there and think about it. I mean everyone is taking a beating now and some things could get worse rather than better. My thought would be as the other poster said and that is to rent and always have the abiity to move when you want rather than getting all hung up on having to wait a year or two to sell before you can move.

Now I know this part is not thailand but I lived in a very nice exclusive area. The house was appraised at 1.3 million dollars just a few years ago. I have been trying to sell it and can't get an offer over $600k !! The mortgage is close to that! :crybaby:

Chris2324
October 31st, 2012, 21:20
thank you guys for advice but we decided to buy, now since noone here could tell me of a good agent, i think i will use rainbow properties.
are they any good? anyone had experience with them?
in udon now, since noone could tell us about nice men spa here in udon, we looked it up on utopia

travelerjim
November 1st, 2012, 01:04
thank you guys for advice but we decided to buy, now since noone here could tell me of a good agent, i think i will use rainbow properties.
are they any good? anyone had experience with them?
in udon now, since noone could tell us about nice men spa here in udon, we looked it up on utopia

Buyer Beware!

Is Noone to be the one named as Owner of the Condo?
Or is it to be in your name as a fooreign owner?

Strongly suggest it be in your name solely...
then you can have it pass to Noone via Will...

Otherwise you might be surprised one day to have family of Noone
move into your condo and you are SOL...Shit out of luck!

Be smart...OK to take care of loved one day...but trust yourself ONLY now in Thailand.
The condo should not be in any name but yours! and absolutely NEVER in a Thai Company Name.

Other expats have made mistakes and regret it later...sometimes earlier than ever thought.

tj

lexusgs
November 1st, 2012, 01:12
TJ,

I think the OP is talking about no one being able to help. I don't think he actually has a partner named noone. Unless I am mistaken of course........
Could be a wind up. You never know on here do you..lol

Cheers

November 1st, 2012, 02:09
I can only think of Peter Noone - famously of Herman's Hermits and insignificantly of The Tremblers - but he's a bit old to be a catamite.

No doubt someone can work the song titles I'm into Something Good, Something is Happening, No Milk Today, and Mrs Brown You've Got a Lovely Daughter into a suitable bit of innuendo :sign5:

Impulse
November 1st, 2012, 03:15
I would say buy...but it depends on what your exchange rate is. If you can afford it there are some advantages by owning. I bought two condos in Thailand in an effort to get my money out of my home country (USA),as our currency is being devalued. You need to own real things, not paper assets. Thinking of opening an offshore account in Singapore also. Of course you must remember the phrase "easy to buy, hard to sell"...I'm having a bitch of a time selling my car right now. I'm not a finacial advisor...I'm better.