PDA

View Full Version : Rip off prices

aot871
October 30th, 2012, 18:21
While in pattaya last week , I called into the cafe royale to see some friends staying there. As it started to rain i decided to wait untill it had stopped, so i ordered a can of coke . I was charged 100bht for this which i think is a complete rip off for a drink at 2pm in the afternoon just from a normal bar. Is this the normal price from a bar or would you join me or not in saying its a rip off

October 30th, 2012, 18:31
To be fair to them in a normal bar ( not beer bar) that's not perhaps a million miles away from what you'd expect to pay - you say a "can of coke" but I'm guessing it can with a glass, ice, maybe lemon etc - none of which is special but I would imagine in and around that figure is "about right"- maybe slightly on the higher side of things perhaps but i don't think you could say rip off - of course if you go to a 7-11 it's going to be cheaper but when in a "fancy" bar I guess that's what to expect - and this isn't to say their prices aren't a rip off sometimes as I think they're right on the edge of too high a LOT of the time myself, but 100 baht for a coke, yeah, it's slightly high but not so far off "the norm" these days I guess as know in my local bar here ( in the UK ) a coke is around ┬г1.85 I think against your ┬г2.00 (ish) figure there.

Oliver
October 30th, 2012, 18:50
I'm sympathetic but you must remember that this a hotel bar, not a host bar, and hotel bars are always more expensive. It also provides a view of what is to me , a gay tourist rather than a jaded expat, one of the most interesting streets in the world. The prices don't seem to me to be out of sync with bars like Panorama. For hotel residents, the costs of food and drink are more than compensated for by the excellent value afforded by the rooms.

Neal
October 30th, 2012, 18:51
Well I am sure he also left out that he probably sat at the dining table outside or inside and there were napkins on the table,k a straw in the glass, and service. No I am sorry to say that you are not quite fair in your assumption that they were overpriced in my honest opinion.

Chris2324
October 30th, 2012, 19:05
i would say it is a rip off, when we went to jomtien beach, coke right there on the beach was not more then 50bath, food is also cheap.

being a businessman fair price of a soft drink in go go bar should not be more then a 100 bath and 50 in the bar, considering wholesale prices and labor costs in thailand.

October 30th, 2012, 19:10
Chris you're right generally but Cafe Royale is a hotel and one would expect to pay more there so in this case it's not that bad - but if it was a beer bar you're absolutely right - and as for go go bars - well hell sure we just know that they just rip off their customers ALL the bloody time as hell they could charge 99 baht for a beer if they wanted to but just use excuses like having "dancing" boys and air con and cheap plastic straws and things to try and justify bumping up their ridiculous prices !! ( ok Neal - your turn he he ) Hell if as it seems we're going to start this trolling and flaming game on the board we may as well do it right eh ! lol

October 30th, 2012, 19:17
I don't have an issue with 100B for a coke - as NIrish, DB, and others have said it's not outrageous in the first place, it's a hotel terrace bar, and there is added value in that it's clean, tidy, the waiters are very attentive and will do anything to help you - you can just sit and watch the world go by. And both the managers not only nod, but speak! :evil4:

I do think that LCR can be overpriced for food though - example Fish & Chips is about 375/395B whereas you can get a far more substantial and better quality dish round the corner at Palmer's for 170/180B (both prices from memory) - and this applies to almost everything from breakfasts to dinners. Yes, I know that Palmer's does not compare with LCR in ambience or decor, but if I'm just eating alone I don't care about that .

So, in what is now my all-too-infrequent trips to Pattaya, if I'm eating during the day I'll probably go to Palmer's and I keep my LCR dining custom for when there is nowhere else open or if I'm in a small group in the evening and we want to pay extra to be in a "nicer" place. I can easily see an analogy there between drinking a 50B coke in a Sunee beer bar or having a 100B one on LCR's terrace.

I'm interested in Oliver's comment about the LCR rooms being good value - I have not looked recently but the standard ones were very tired and shabby the last time I looked (maybe 3 or 4 yrs ago) - so I assume they've been refurbished since then? Don't tell me to look at the website - I've never believed website photos since I made the huge mistake of booking rooms @ Howard's on the strength of website photos.

UncleTom
October 30th, 2012, 20:21
On the other hand if you are in the UK why not pop into
The Chang Noi Restaurant at the Birch & Bottle Pub, Northwich Rd, Higher Whitley, Northwich

"Thai Omelette: A very traditional dish, a large omelette stuffed with chicken, mushrooms & peppers not spicy in the least."
A snip at GBP 8.20

http://www.changnoi.co.uk/

Not sure if this includes Service + VAT :dontknow:

newalaan
October 30th, 2012, 22:49
Chris you're right generally but Cafe Royale is a hotel and one would expect to pay more there so in this case it's not that bad
I called into the cafe royale to see some friends staying there. As it started to rain i decided to wait untill it had stopped, so i ordered a can of coke . I was charged 100bht for this which i think is a complete rip off for a drink at 2pm in the afternoon just from a normal bar
I wouldn't consider this a rip-off, it's certainly at the upper end of 'acceptable' for the many credible reasons already mentioned by other posters, the only one i would take slight issue with is a couple of posters claiming because the terrace/lounge is attached to a hotel it is able to justify 'hotel' prices because of that. Given that the terrace/lounge there is not exclusively for residents and is openly touted as a bar as alternative to Oscars, Panorama etc.. in that respect i would treat as such, however it is a step above standard beerbars and i think the price has to reflect that. Considering agogos (outwith showtime or without shows) charge coke in line with alcohol which is outrageous there are worse rip-offs and abuses by bars in Pattaya to consider than LCR, such as BzBzBz charging the same price of Bt180 for an orange juice outside the show-bar on the terrace where there is no show and none of the things consistant with being in a bar, aircon etc.. i'm not sure if that is the same at Copa but wouldn't be surprised. Not that their pricing compatibility could be described as anything other than coincidental of course, well maybe lets just say there is an occassional 'price matching for consistancy' element.

Neal
October 30th, 2012, 23:10
Chris, if you think it is a rip off then don't go to a hotel terrace lounge and go back to the beach and get your drink and food there. :occasion9:

francois
October 31st, 2012, 01:46
Think positive, only 100 Baht; a thimble of wine costs far much for some cheap plonk.

firecat69
October 31st, 2012, 06:04
It is a rip off. Lets not forget they are a restaurant. When you order a meal there which is certainly priced at the high end they also charge this ridiculous price.

I have not been in awhile but I don't believe even Manhattan Steak House has the nerve to charge that amount. And if you want to compare it to the USA. That is $3.50 and I have never been charged that even in the finest restaurants in NYC . $2.50- $2.75 would be the upper limit and at many of those places refills would be free.

zinzone
October 31st, 2012, 08:11
OP: what a totally cheap charlie waste of time poster you are. Convert 100 baht into sterling or dollars and that also reveals what a Miser you must be.Go go bars charge more for a coke and their over heads are less than a hotel. Next time go to the nearly 7-11 and buy your coke there and then stand in the Soi outside the hotel to await your friends. If its raining you can get a free shower at the same time.
:evil4:

Dear oh dear:

What a cheapskate.

markie1
October 31st, 2012, 09:23
If you think that was a rip off go sit in copa inside or outside a coke cost you 180 baht ,and that is not a can or a single bottle,it's pored from a cheap large nasty flat bottle coke.,now that's what I call a rip off

Up2U
October 31st, 2012, 11:00
While in pattaya last week , I called into the cafe royale to see some friends staying there. As it started to rain i decided to wait untill it had stopped, so i ordered a can of coke . I was charged 100bht for this which i think is a complete rip off for a drink at 2pm in the afternoon just from a normal bar. Is this the normal price from a bar or would you join me or not in saying its a rip off
Expensive yes, ripoff no. Hotel terrace bars are always priced high, they are profit centers for hotels so I don't patronize them. I suggest you don't go to lcr bar or cafe because their are better options.

blazer
October 31st, 2012, 11:19
Yes, you are right. A complete rip off at 2 in the afternoon. No way to attract a lunch crowd.

It is an appropriate price in the evening.

aot871
October 31st, 2012, 16:30
Regarding the last message , from Bruce nyc, I dont know how any one can compare the pattaya hilton to the lcr, The first is a 5 star the latter is at best a 2star , Just look at what the hilton charges for its week day buffet lunch approx 400bht , all you can eat , then look at what the cafe charges for a meal .

bruce_nyc
October 31st, 2012, 16:33
My point is.... They are both hotel bar / restaurants. No one goes there for their bargain basement pricing.

If you don't like the prices, vote with your feet..... and don't go there. It's really as simple as that.

If no one goes there, they might lower their prices. On the other hand, if some people love going there, they will make a decent living.... and the place will not close its doors and end up a boarded up vacant hole with a big FOR RENT sign on the front.

"Up to you."

Chris2324
October 31st, 2012, 16:46
I think they are open thanx to us and our patronage, but as I said million times considering the prices here and labor costs drinks are overpriced

lukylok
October 31st, 2012, 16:54
I think they are open thanx to us and our patronage, but as I said million times considering the prices here and labor costs drinks are overpriced

And then .... is there a law fixing the margin ? If they want to sell a coke at 200 bahts, it's their right.

You don't like it, you can't afford it, tough titty ! Go somewhere else and stop whining.

lexusgs
October 31st, 2012, 17:02
Some reasonable points made here. I think LCR needs a bit of creative management. The place always looks so empty. It really is such a waste of space. Personally, I don't think the drinks are that overpriced. The place just lacks a reason to go! There are many nights where the place is virtually empty. The manager who I do know seems to be happy to leave things as they are. The owner I guess does n't really bother too much about profit. Still I think he must be happy sitting on quite a relatively valuable piece of land.

bruce_nyc
October 31st, 2012, 17:10
What I really recommend most is:

Open up an equally appointed terrace next door... with lower prices.

( Then you can come back here later and explain to us why your prices aren't even lower than they are... )

:ow:

In my own business, whenever a customer complains about my pricing.... I offer to help them open up a business to compete with my own. I recommend that they open up a business --- just like mine --- and charge lower prices. I tell them I will help them in any way I can. I promise I will. And I assure them I am being 100% serious.

So far, no one has taken me up on the offer. But it sure does shut them up.... And, from that point on, they become my best customers. :8(

Neal
October 31st, 2012, 17:14
I am sorry but I have to agree. You wanted to get out of the rain. You stepped up and asked for a Coke. Did you ask for a menu? Did you ask how much is a Coke? No.
You have a mouth, ask and if you don't like it, you have 2 feet, go elsewhere.

October 31st, 2012, 17:17
To address the original topic - the bottom line here is that there are some people who think that any business has a duty to welcome their custom - and at a price which they think is reasonable. I see these people every day, I know what I'm talking about here (for a change!) - they want the best service and product but are only willing to pay a price which makes delivering that level of product and service quite unsustainable.

That is not reality - a business positions itself to accept a certain section of the market and the pricing is a major way of defining that section.
If you want to appeal to the bottom end of the market then you price your goods and specify the level of service you can therefore afford to provide accordingly, to attract that type of price-conscious clientele.
Similarly, if you want to attract the top end of the market, you price accordingly to enable you to provide a higher level of service and/or product and to keep (what you have now made) the unsustainable bottom end out - unless they are prepared to "trade-up".

As a potential customer, you have a right to make a choice - sit in a low-class joint, maybe be served by a dirty-fingernailed waiter, and drink 40B coke. Alternatively, you can choose to sit somewhere more pleasant with great service and well presented attentive staff and pay 100B/200B.

What you ought not to do, is voluntarily go into what is quite obviously a higher class establishment and then bitch about the price - or go into a rathole because the rock-bottom price appeals to you but then complain about the standards.

:dontknow:

Neal
October 31st, 2012, 17:49
Ok. this thread was about rip off prices and I believe we have covered that pretty well BUT if someone still needs to be heard, by all means go ahead.
We have also covered where the tips go when inside the envelope and that some people may have misunderstood other peoples comments and that tips are divided amongst staff. Seems we have also gone into who to give tips to. In the hand or not in the hand. Well we did cover in another thread tips in general so if someone sees a need to open a thread as to in the hand or not in the hand, go ahead but no here on this thread please.

Neal
October 31st, 2012, 19:47
I asked just a few posts ago if you would PLEASE not continue talking about tipping in this thread. To go to the tipping thread. PLEASE

Neal
October 31st, 2012, 20:48
Done and thanks!