PDA

View Full Version : Hotels and Arrivals

GWMinUS
October 27th, 2012, 06:41
I will be visiting Bangkok in February, for the first time in 6 long years.
Here are a couple of questions for you guys...

My friend from the Philippines will be flying in the day after I arrive. So I will go to Suvarnabhumi Airport to meet him. Is there an Arrival Area inside the airport where I can wait to meet him. He will be arriving on Cebu Pacific Air so do all passengers exit at the same place?? If no arrival area, should I try to meet him at a Tourist Desk or Transportation Counter in the airport.

Next question is for me. I plan to take the Express Train from the airport to the Silom area.
Do I get off at Makkasan Station and transfer to the MRT Phetchaburi Station. I have a bad leg and walking 200 meters might not be the best for me. Maybe I should exit there and take a taxi to the hotel??
The other option is going to the Phyaya Thai Station, transferring the BTS, then transferring again at Siam to get to Sala Daeng.

Final question... hotels. I am looking to book for about 2400 to 2600 B per night for 8 nights.
I have stayed at the Tarntawan in the past. But it is a long walk to the Clubs and Bars.
What about Bally's Studio Suites, it is close to Soi 4 and convenient to the BTS.
But I worry about noise from the BTS and Silom traffic.
Other choices are Siam Heritage and the Saladaeng Colonnade Apartments.
The Colonnade Studio looks very nice and I think I can make that walk.

Thanks for your comments and other suggestions.

George

pong
October 27th, 2012, 10:17
1,re meeting: it is-like at any INtern. airpt in this world, of course not possible for normal beings to go into the Arrival area=beyond the controls etc, unless you have a boarding pass for some flight same day. Alas-there is No way to know where any pax are to arrive-there are at Swampy 2 main exits at the end of 2 main immigr.halls. Get that mobuy fone.
2.trains: if you insist on the often much longer wait for the express-as such there is good news- they now run to EITHER Makkasan OR Phyathai, which has a much more easy transfer into the BTS=skytrain which runs above Silom, which also has No luggage check. But you still have to go down some stairs all by yourself.

October 27th, 2012, 10:48
The drivers and hotel reps wait for incoming passengers at Gates 3 and 4. You could tell your friend to meet you at one of these gates. He turns right after picking up baggage and exiting past Customs control.

200 meters is also about my walking limit. It might be more than that from the Arrivals area to the other end of the airport where there are taxis and shuttle buses. You might consider having your hotel provide a car. Driver would wait for you at Gate 3 or 4 and you would not have a lengthy walk. If you book through Agoda, it might be necessary for you to contact the hotel separately to arrange for a car. Yes, it might be at least double the cost of a taxi, but it might be worth it.

I used to stay at Tarntawan regularly but their prices kept going up and quality of furnishings kept going down. Main draw of the Tarntawan is the ease with which you can bring joiners to your room. I am now staying next door to Tarntawan, at the Siam Heritage. A suite here is only $10 more per night than one of the front facing Surivongse rooms at Tarntawan. Both of these hotels are equally distant from Soi Twilight (about five minutesтАЩ walk) but a much longer walk to the Silom clubs.

I also stayed several times at the Colonnade, very nice, easy walk to Silom, but too much of a walk from there to Soi Twilight. Then thereтАЩs the Rose Hotel on Surivongse, about one minute walk to Soi Twilight. Also, opposite the Siam and Tarntawan, the de Arni and the Tawana.

The Surivongse hotels appear to be populated mainly by (straight) tourists from China and SE Asia. If youтАЩre looking for a more gay ambience, then I guess Tarntawan would be the right choice.

If you and your friend are going to be bringing тАЬguest visitorsтАЭ (joiners) back to your room, Siam Heritage might charge you 900 baht per visitor. The Montien charges 1,500 per joiner! No charge for joiners at the TarntawanтАж unless youтАЩre planning an orgy. :party

a447
October 27th, 2012, 10:58
There are numerous exits, so you'll have to wander along all of them to meet him. I had trouble back in July when I thought there was only one exit and was wondering why my pick up from the hotel hadn't arrived. I later found him waiting outside another exit! So just tell him you'll be waiting outside exit 1 (or is it called exit A??) and let him do the walking.
If you are having trouble with your legs, why not just catch a taxi? It's only 300 baht max.
As bobsaigon indicated, there are often exhorbitant joiner fees. I'm shocked at the fee charged by the Montien, as I was actually considering it art one stage.
Not any more - I'll stick to the Rose.

Sooty
October 27th, 2012, 11:53
A typically useless set of responses about the airport including a misleading one from a447 - no surprises there.

Passengers should exit via the door that's nearest to the luggage carousel on which the luggage from their flight will be available. Even if they have only hand luggage that is the rule if you are to find them. Inside the exits are not labeled A, B, C etc. but outside they are, and the Arrivals board will tell you (waiting outside) which exit (A, B, C etc.) is nearest the luggage belt for the flight on which your friend will be arriving. I'd be inclined to give him your mobile number so he can SMS you if you fail to meet. Limo drivers and hotel greeters all seem to know this rule but there's now a standard meeting place for limo drivers.

There is no walkable link from Makassan to the MRT. Take the airport train all the way to Phya Thai and then transfer to the Skytrain there. Good luck with the transfer; it is usually full by the time it leaves Victory Monument etc. to get to Phya Thai. If you take the "suburban" rather than the "express" airport train from the airport you will save around 15 minutes but the cost difference is substantial - for the two of you almost cheaper to take a taxi. The alternative is the Airport bus which leaves from the ground floor and one route (A1?) will take you straight to Silom for only 100 baht each as I recall (a little while since I've been to Bangkok but not as long as you). As I say, for two of you it's almost as cheap to take a taxi, depending on the time of day.

If you must take the Skytrain there's a change from Airport link at Phya Thai and another at Siam to the Silom line. More trouble than it's worth in my opinion especially if you have to hump suitcases.

a447
October 27th, 2012, 12:09
sooty wrote:
including a misleading one from a447 - no surprises there.

Care to back that up,Sooty?

GWMinUS
October 27th, 2012, 12:23
Hello Bob and thanks for the information.
Are Gates 3 and 4 the same?
Which of these gates would be easier for him to locate?
Are they clearly marked??

This is my Filipino friend's first trip overseas.
And he is very worried about not meeting me in BKK, as am I!!
May I go inside the terminal lobby before the security check points?
As you can at most airport here in the US.
In that case I will watch the Arrivals board and try to find his Gate.
Unfortunately coming from the Philippines, he will not have SMS.
But I will email him my mobile number after I arrive in BKK.

As to hotels, I thought Bally's Studio Suites would be convenient for both Telephone Bar and walking to Soi Twilight. And easy to take BTS to the malls and the River. I am just concerned about the noise!!!
I do not know how the Rose is now. Back when I did "short time" there, it as bad!!!
I looked at the Siam when it first opened. Very nice. But had forget about the Joiner's fee.
My friend is not into casual sex, in fact he is not attracted to Asians. So I guess that will not be an issue. HAHAHA

Thanks again

October 27th, 2012, 13:21
I donтАЩt know why responses above were тАЬtypically uselessтАЭ, but I would agree with Sooty that taking taxi or hotel car is the best choice.

Gates 3 and 4 are adjoining. They are exit doors and the numbers are clearly placed above each of them. Arriving passengers go through passport control, pick up luggage, proceed past Customs (random baggage check possible) and then exit the Arrivals area. No way to see them before they come out. If there is a board showing which luggage carousel the baggage is on for that flight, then you could guess where heтАЩd exit. IтАЩd still opt for meeting at Gates 3 or 4. YouтАЩll see this all when you arrive, so can give more detailed info to your friend.

Take a look at Google Street View of Bally. If they have triple pane windows facing an inner courtyard, it might not be noisy. If not, wow, itтАЩs just a few feet from the constant Silom traffic.

Rose Hotel is MUCH better than the old days. Totally renovated, even respectable enough for families (but still very welcoming for gay guests). Take a look at their website and reviews on Tripadvisor.

Stories about Bangkok have certainly reached your pinoy friend. IтАЩm sure it will be an exciting, eye-opening experience for him. Enjoy. (And you can also be confident that security/personal safety is not nearly as much of a concern around Silom/Surivongse as it can be in Metro Manila.)

October 27th, 2012, 14:11
BTW, when your plane lands at Suvarnabhumi, the walk to passport control could be 500 meters. Probably good to request a wheelchair, no matter what your age is, when you check in for the Bangkok bound flight. Wheelchair also gets you into the fast track line for passport control. I usually tip the wheelchair attendant 200 Baht.

a447
October 27th, 2012, 18:36
Hello!!
Sooooty! Sooooty??
Well,.....? Where are you?
Don't run and hide.

Come on, back up that statement.

October 27th, 2012, 19:06
As a slight aside to the main post re people who may have difficulty walking etc in the seemingly ever longer walk to the gates at airports does anyone know if when you see a few people whizzing past you on the noisy back to back golf buggy thing and getting taken right to the gate / passpost control I assume that's a service you prebook and pay ? Or is that something laid on by the airlines free of charge if you tick the " I need some assistance" box when booking ? I should add that there's damn all wrong with me except sheer laziness and I wouldn't have the nerve to "actually" ask for such a service ( although I might book it ! ) as there's many a time when it's whizzing past and I'm hauling my ass down towards the gate that I would happily throw one of the infirm people off it and bribe the driver to get scooted to my gate without a second look behind me to see if the infirm person even landed safely or not ! :-) - And before anyone moans I AM joking :-) But seriously :-) I "have" always wondering is that a chargeable or a free service ?

Neal
October 27th, 2012, 19:14
In Hong Kong airport there is a charge and most other airports it is free. Rarely and maybe only once and I think ity was Air Asia, they had the balls to charge me. I say balls because my condition is well known and they know it. Also I don't think the time with Air Asia I got a golf cart. I think they only provided a wheel chair! I don't know what the deal is in Bangkok as I have also only recvd a wheelchair.

a447
October 27th, 2012, 19:38
Nirish guy, I'm guessing you'd only need a wheelchair on your way home, after a couple of weeks of shagging. I imagine you sprint thru immigration on arrival!

October 27th, 2012, 19:46
Some time back, Thai Air had a golf cart stationed near international transfer desk to take passengers to Immigration. That lasted only a couple of months. No charge.
No charge for a wheelchair at Narita. My offer of tip was accepted once and refused once. No wheelchair charge in Manila, but tips eargerly accepted. Never any wheelchair or golf cart charge anywhere in the US but a tip is definitely expected. And no one asks why you want a wheelchair. If you're still recovering from excesses in LOS, why not get a little assistance, or, conversely, why not, on arrival, save your energy for upcoming entertainment?

October 27th, 2012, 19:51
ha ha you have NO idea how true that statement is !!! On the way in I'm like a spring lamb, chomping to get at it and on the way out I'm a spent force, trailing my way to the gate, usually dragging myself to swampy for an 11am flight on the sunday after being out on the saturday night and so having no sleep and having left DJ / GOD and then going back to the hotel for one last marathon session and then wishing I could just die from both the hangover and exhaustion kicking in ! So, you've got it in one !! And this trip coming I've actually a 12 hour lay over to deal with as well so I think the VIP lounge will be getting a visit to ensure I at least can relax and catch up on SOME sleep so I can arrive back at my office on Monday on the 8th of jan or whatever ready to start the year fresh and reinvigorated- as my co workers seem to think I've been lying relaxing beach in thailand for three weeks - ha ha if only they knew eh !! lol

October 27th, 2012, 21:03
Yup, nothing like being horney as an antidote to jet lag. Takes me two weeks to recover from a flight to the US, and two hours to be ready for fun after I arrive in LOS.

GWMinUS
October 27th, 2012, 22:23
Thanks for all the replies!!
I did find a good plan of the BKK Airport. So I see the 3 Exits to the Arrival Lobby and Doors 4 and 5.
I think I will tell my friend to meet me at the Information Desk in the center or the Lobby.
Then we can take a taxi back to Silom.

Yes, I broke my leg 3 years ago. It has never been the same.
When transiting through HKG I always request wheel chair assistance and tip US$10.
It makes it much easier to get across that hugh terminal and find the correct gate.
I did see Express Service at BBK, but the charge is USD75. Too much for a retired old Dad!!!

Bob, I will take another look at the Rose. It is a good location and I remember it has a nice swimming pool for the HOT afternoons. They do charge for internet, but that is OK. Does anyone have a suggest as to the room and location to request?? Other than one Large Bed, or as they say in the Philippines; a Matrimonial Bed.
:lam:
Thanks for all the info!

PS Plan to take my guy to Babylon one afternoon. Maybe that will change his mind about Asian men???

Neal
October 27th, 2012, 22:30
GWMinUS, if you tip $10 US in HKG think of taking the golf cart. Faster, nicer and if I remember its about the same price.

October 27th, 2012, 23:03
I don't know what "Express Service at BBK" means, but I do know for sure that there is no charge for wheelchair when it is provided by your airline. And that will take you directly to Fast Track Immigration.

I think I decided against staying at the Rose simply because of that internet charge. I spend a lot of time on line. From what I've read, the rooms at the Rose are small, so try to get one as large as your budget will permit.

In Manila, I loved sharing the "matrimonial bed" and jacuzzi at the Pan Pacific with my young pinoy guy. The one in Cebu wasn't bad either. :happy7:

Mancs
October 28th, 2012, 03:17
I used the meeting point at Arrivals and here is a video on you tube to show it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_zGJmRA8oU

GWMinUS
October 28th, 2012, 05:26
In Manila, I loved sharing the "matrimonial bed" and jacuzzi at the Pan Pacific with my young pinoy guy. The one in Cebu wasn't bad either. :happy7:
OH so you have also booked the Queen Room with the Jacuzzi overlooking the Bay... Well worth it!!
I took my other Pinoy BF there and he was thrilled. Used all the bubble bath soap!!! On his handsome body!!

I stayed once at the PP in Bangkok. But a bit too fancy and expensive for what you get.
I love Tarntawan Place, the staff and the breakfast.
How is the breakfast at Siam Heritage?? The Executive room looks very nice and I can book on Agoda for USD68 to 80.

Thanks for all comments...
:salute:

billy2bs
October 28th, 2012, 06:29
I seriously suggest Ballys Studio Suites there..It is right near everything and I dont thing it will bother for any noise. I have stayed severayl times and it was great and the breakfast is easily most satisfactory unless you are a gourmet or fussy eater. As for arrival...take a fast taxi trip for speed and dirtectness and get a locatrion to go to find you. Surely get the phone numbers togethere as I think it will be the safest thing for you to do to hook up...Have a grand timeeee

October 28th, 2012, 09:31
Siam Heritage breakfast is OK. Eggs cooked to order, and a variety of Asian and Western dishes available, many more offerings than Tarntawan provides. Served from 6 to 10am. Drawback at Siam is that at breakfast you are surrounded by straight Asian tourists, loudly communicating in various tonal dialects, whereas the Tarntawan offers a more subdued, a more gay ambience. On the other hand, at Siam, most guests will not even bother to wonder what the relationship is between you and your bf. At Tarntawan, they will assume he's a Thai moneyboy. I don't know if that is a factor to be considered.

Yes, the bubble bath at the PP. The weekend consisted of bubble bath, sex, hanging out naked, going to Robinsons mall to eat, then bubble bath, sex, naked, eating, etc., etc. Thanks to the mall food, he gained a kilo and thanks to other activities, I lost a kilo. That was his first time staying at a 5 star hotel and he appreciated every moment.....as did I.

For the clubs, certainly Bally's would be the better location, for the boy bars, then it would be Surivongse. I don't do clubs. There is no place I'd rather be than Soi Twilight on a busy night, surrounded by hundreds of attractive young men.

Alex303
October 28th, 2012, 19:07
Hi, what is the full name of the hotel in Bangkok that you refer to as 'PP' please?...you've got me very curious with that one. Sounds like somewhere i'd like to check out with the Boy Special. cheers

October 28th, 2012, 22:24
PP = Pan Pacific Hotel

bruce_nyc
October 29th, 2012, 03:05
Our version of the "5 star, bubble bath, sex, barely leave the room or hotel property" experience was at Le Meridian in Bangkok. With some Starwood points, we booked a room very cheaply. Then as a Platinum Member or somesuch, we got a free upgrade to a suite. That was a magical long weekend for all 3 of us. Even when we did leave the room, it was to go to the pool area, the spa area, the amazing restaurants, the beautiful lounge, etc.... all inside the same hotel.

All three of us were very happy with the place. "T" was visibly thrilled and excited... on cloud nine... the entire time. Like a little kid, he was so happy there. You could see it in the enthusiasm of his every little action, and smile, and jumping around with joy. It was clearly a dreamy experience for him.... As if to be saying with his every expression, "I could get used to living this way." :-)

I still have the notepad paper where I found him doodling over and over, "Good Room. Happy. Love. Love. Love." :-)

And the location is even closer to Dream Boys than Tarntawan.

( Which is which again? I can never remember the names of the areas. Which area is the one with Dream Boys & Dick's Cafe....? And which area is the one with Telephone pub and Balcony pub....? )

October 29th, 2012, 08:07
Dreamboys and Dick's in Soi Twilight (aka Soi Pratuchai or Soi Duangthee or Boy Soi). The clubs are in Silom 2 & 4.

These areas are known collectively as Heaven (to me at least).

Massage last night by a Burmese boy (Myanmarese?), earlier in the week by a Cambodian guy, and in between by a couple of lovely Thais. No need to go to Phnom Penh or Yangon. All I want is right here in BKK. :happy7:

Alex303
October 29th, 2012, 12:49
thanks

PP = Pan Pacific Hotel

GWMinUS
October 29th, 2012, 21:05
Alex,

Sorry the PanPacific Hotel is in Manila.
The one in Bangkok has changed to the Crown Plaza, a Holiday Inn brand.
The PP in Manila is worth the expense!! It is located in Malate and within walking distance of the Gay Clubs and Discos.
It is only a block from the HUGH Robinson's Mall. Not sure if that is the same Robinson's as in Bangkok. But it is very up scale.
On my first trip to Manila, I got "picked up" by two wonderful Pinoy guys in the mall. But that is another story...

CHEERS

Alex303
October 31st, 2012, 06:24
Many thanks for the info...its much appreciated !

GWMinUS
November 2nd, 2012, 03:30
OK Guys, I have booked my hotels in Bangkok.

First visit, 8 nights at the Siam Heritage Hotel. This one with my Filipino BF.
Second visit, 3 nights at Tarntawan Place. I may be "on my on" so wanted more flexibility.
Thanks of all the advice and the good YouTube video. I sent it my BF so he will feel comfortable arriving at the Airport. NOW, if I can just learn how to pronounce "Suvrnabhumi"!!!

Hotel and trip report in February...
Cheers
:glasses7:

joe552
November 2nd, 2012, 04:16
I think you'll find most of us pronounce it "the airport" :occasion9:

Hope you have a good holiday. I'd be interested to hear what you BF thinks of Bangkok. My experience of Phillipino boys being very limited (only 1 visit so far but thinking about Manila for next year as a change from Pattaya).

gaymandenmark
November 2nd, 2012, 14:39
NOW, if I can just learn how to pronounce "Suvrnabhumi"!!!

Just say Suvannabum, they will understand, if you are taking a taxi, and just say "the airport", the driver might ask which airport?, in thai, at least from Bangkok.

Jellybean
November 2nd, 2012, 16:46
GWMinUS my Thai teacher told me it is called suwannaphuum, pronounced - su-wan-na-phuum.

If you are feeling really confident you can also say тАУ san─Гambin-suwannaphuum i.e. suwannaphuum airport.

Or you could, as gaymandenmark suggests, simply say, тАЬThe airport.тАЭ The driver would probably ask, тАЬsuwannaphuum?тАЭ To which you could reply, тАЬYesтАЭ or тАЬchaiтАЭ.

peeseua
November 2nd, 2012, 22:33
After a few bad experiences there, I now pronounce it "sunuvabum" - and with a completely straight face, too.

fountainhall
November 3rd, 2012, 08:11
I frequently have to meet clients at BKK and the arrivals area is often one big scrum!

First, for your arrival at BKK, you can request a wheelchair service in advance which should come at no cost from your airline.

Second, your friendтАЩs arrival. There are two international exits from the Customs area тАУ B and C. There is also an A but that is only for domestic arrivals. (sorry Sooty тАУ the customs exits are definitely marked A, B and C inside тАУ I have seen them many times). But your friend should ignore them and just take the exit closest to his luggage carousel. As bobsaigon advised, after exiting your friend should turn right.

As stated in the vdo, the official meeting point is at Door 3 (there are something like 12 doors out of the building running along the length of the terminal). There are some seats located near the Boots shop close to Door 3.

Airport Train. I have never taken it. If you plan to take the fast non-stop line to Makkasan, the fare used to be (still is?) Bt. 150. But if you arrive in a rush hour, expect a long taxi ride to Saladaeng costing well over Bt. 100. I donтАЩt think the Makkasan/MRT link has been completed, and so that would be quite an obstacle course for you, I believe. Much better for you, in my view, is to take the slower and much cheaper City Line to Phayathai (cost around Bt. 45 and takes only 30 minutes). The change to the BTS Skytrain is easy and involves a walk of around 100 m. Since you are going to Saladaeng, having got your Skytrain ticket, make sure you enter the BTS system on your right. There you have an escalator to take you up to the platform. If you go in by the left, you will have to climb the steps with your luggage.

a447
November 3rd, 2012, 17:27
fountainhall wrote:
(sorry Sooty тАУ the customs exits are definitely marked A, B and C inside тАУ I have seen them many times).

How sweet it is! :sign5:

Sooty
November 6th, 2012, 12:04
(sorry Sooty тАУ the customs exits are definitely marked A, B and C inside тАУ I have seen them many times).I must pay more attention next time while waiting for my wheelchair.
But your friend should ignore them and just take the exit closest to his luggage carousel.That is precisely what I said. What I objected to in a447's tedious post was his assertion that for those waiting outside it's a lottery and people have to race from exit to exit searching for their friends. I've always found his posts to be worthless when it comes to giving hard factual data - plenty of opinions though.

a447
November 6th, 2012, 13:45
sooty wrote:
What I objected to in a447's tedious post

It was only "tedious" because you decided to read it all the way to the end!

Do you spend a lot of time reading "tedious" posts? Haven't you got something better to do?? :sign5:

it's a lottery and people have to race from exit to exit searching for their friends

Where on earth did I say that?? Can you quote directly from my post? Well, can you?

I've always found his posts to be worthless

Really? You have to read them before you can make that assertion....don't you??

Do you spend a lot of time reading "worthless" posts? Haven't you got something better to do?? :sign5:

And speaking of "worthless" posts, I'm still waiting for you to back up your previous "no surprises there" post. It's been close to 2 weeks and you still haven't replied.

And while you are at it, please also back up your assertion that my "factual data" is always "worthless."

Based on the amount of time you have spent in Thailand compared to me, I'd back my facts over yours any day. lol

Well, come on! Some examples, please.

Or are your assertions simply....

worthless?

Sooty
November 6th, 2012, 14:46
sooty wrote:
What I objected to in a447's tedious postIt was only "tedious" because you decided to read it all the way to the end! Do you spend a lot of time reading "tedious" posts? Haven't you got something better to do?? Thanks for your advice not to read tedious posts. I have decided to act on it.

a447
November 6th, 2012, 15:24
Sooty wrote:
Thanks for your advice not to read tedious posts. I have decided to act on it.

Glad I could be of some help. (Just staggered that you couldn't work it out for yourself. :sign5: )

Oh, and a convenient, albeit obvious, way of excusing yourself from backing up your worthless assertions.

And while I'm at it, here's some more advice:

Just stick to the facts (based on your limited experience in LOS) and keep your bitter, snide remarks to yourself.

latintopxxx
November 7th, 2012, 15:14
a447...be nice or you will run out of "friends"....eventually.....and remember..you don't have to be right ALL the time...

Sooty
November 8th, 2012, 02:02
a447...be nice or you will run out of "friends"....eventually.....and remember..you don't have to be right ALL the time...I'm not sure how old he is - although I can guess - but his immaturity is front and centre.

GWMinUS
November 8th, 2012, 08:23
OHHHHH
Think my request for advice has deteriorated into name calling, as often happens...

In any case, I am on my way to BBK in February.
And will be excitedly waiting at Exit Gate 3 for my Pinoy Prince.
Hope we both have a great time.

Thanks for all the advice!!!
George :bounce:

morse
November 10th, 2012, 08:52
Have your bf meet you at Starbucks-a floor up from the arrivals area. Take a taxi to your hotel. I always take the rail link to Phya Thi (unless it is a midnight arrival), but I travel light and and have no walking issues. A Taxi is a better option for the two of you. You may find the hike from the plane to immigration a challenge.
***** A word of caution on your bf coming from the Philippines.***** Two years ago my bf from the Philippines (he was 20 then) was refused boarding to fly to Thailand. I had sent him money to purchase a rt ticket and cash to have money in his pocket, but immigration wanted some "official document" from someone-ie, me. that I would be suporting him in Thailand. There was no way to get an acceptable document to him when he was at airport immigration in Manila-we were in phone contact- so I ended up going to Manila on the next available flight. I don't know your bf's situation, but beware if he is young and has no credit card. Thailand apparently is leary of young men without obvious means or means of support coming into the country

GWMinUS
November 11th, 2012, 01:32
Morse,

What you say about him getting through Immigration in Bangkok has crossed my mind.
He will have his return ticket on CebuPacific with him. And I will give him a copy of the Hotel Reservation.
I also told him to have his Professor write a letter, stating that he is there for his Tourism Studies to better understand tourist sites in Thailand. I certainly hope that is enough...
You surprise me saying the problem occurred in Manila. I would think it might come up in Bangkok.
I will be there waiting and he will have my mobile number.

Here's hoping no last minute problems!!!
George

gaymandenmark
November 11th, 2012, 05:39
***** A word of caution on your bf coming from the Philippines.***** Two years ago my bf from the Philippines (he was 20 then) was refused boarding to fly to Thailand. I had sent him money to purchase a rt ticket and cash to have money in his pocket, but immigration wanted some "official document" from someone-ie, me. that I would be suporting him in Thailand. There was no way to get an acceptable document to him when he was at airport immigration in Manila-we were in phone contact- so I ended up going to Manila on the next available flight. I don't know your bf's situation, but beware if he is young and has no credit card. Thailand apparently is leary of young men without obvious means or means of support coming into the country

Sorry but I don't understand why he had problems with the Manila immigation, he was leaving the country, do they control how much money you have in your pocket or on cards when you leave the Philippines?

But I can understand if he was rejected by the airline if his papers and passport was not in order.

morse
November 11th, 2012, 05:56
The problem was not immigration in BKK. He never got that far. I can only surmise that there is some Thai policy in place either with the airline or the Philippine immigration folks to control potential problems in Manila before they get to Bangkok. I have no further information other than it did occur and since then I have been reluctant to try to bring him to Thailand (it is his dream to visit Thailand) and have made several trips to the Philippines. Good luck!

Sooty
November 11th, 2012, 13:42
I know some Philippino people and like India their own Immigration people prey on them and try to get bribes as they enter and leave the country. Maybe it was something like that.

Neal
November 11th, 2012, 13:47
I know when many people are leaving several countries are checked for many things because they do not want their citizens stuck in another country without the means to get back home and be a problem not only for the Embassy and airlines etc but everyone.