PDA

View Full Version : Gay Beach - Good-bye Yellow Brick Road

Up2U
October 24th, 2012, 21:09
A few days ago, after major tree trimming by the City, the beach vendors often referred to as the gay beach (Rit's, Jim's, etc.) decided upon themselves to rake sand over the "yellow brick road" completely covering it. The intent, I am told was to expand their areas for massage and to perhaps recapture space lost to beach erosion. I can't say I am happy because you can no longer walk by these vendors using the path and the shade but must use the main road which can be hotter. They will lose foot traffic too and maybe some customers. There is a handicapped gentlemen in a wheel chair I've seen at Rit's - not sure what he is going to do.

TravellerDave
October 24th, 2012, 22:30
I cant see the point of covering the path with sand, although I think up to now the path was kept clear by the concessionaires as the sand tended to blow over the path and there was a step up to the beach.
I dont think there was a shortage of space for massage although Ive never been there at peak season and I would be surprised if chairs are placed there as it would not be a good position not having a view of the sea.
I will be there in a couple of days and will be interested to see developments.

Neal
October 25th, 2012, 04:19
Are you quite sure that the beach people did it as I was told that the city did it in order to get rid of that big step up from that walk way. While I use my scooter to that area it is not that big of a walk from the main path to the chairs as now I dont have to climb that incline to get to the chairs. Only talking a few more feet. I checked it out by going there today.

dorayme
October 25th, 2012, 07:34
It looks like the pictures are of the section that the brick path washed out a long time ago and was never fixed. That section was Past the While Hotel and in front of the Rabbit. On Sunday the path in front of Rit, etc. was clear down to Somboon's and the White Hotel.

Up2U
October 25th, 2012, 09:03
It looks like the pictures are of the section that the brick path washed out a long time ago and was never fixed. That section was Past the While Hotel and in front of the Rabbit. On Sunday the path in front of Rit, etc. was clear down to Somboon's and the White Hotel.

Sunday it was clear. This is not the area you described but the sections between the public restroom and Jim's Place including Rit's, the area often called the Gay Beach. Over the years the sand has piled up along the back of these sections. Most sections made a stair or two in the sand so stepping up was easier. The concession staff, not the City, raked the mounds of sand down on to
the walk-way. I watched it happening. This was done because they got tired of clearing the sand from walk-way and relocating and perhaps creating more room for massages. It is concessions responsibility to maintain their area and they took the easiest and laziest solution. Of course, the unintended consequences are restricted access for people with mobility issues or people walking who enjoyed the shaded pathway.

Neal
October 25th, 2012, 12:55
You say the easiest and laziest way out but after thinking about it, I believe one can understand. First the sidewalk was full of missing bricks as well as gullies and everything else that caused bumps all along the pathway. The sand problem was there and needed to be cleaned up at least two times a day and even then to no avail. I think rather than just taking care of certain things, the city should have figured out how to fix it and done so and not left a 2 and 3 day chore up to vendors who pay and are trying to service customers. The walk from the main roadway to the old pathway is about 10 steps and for handicapped persons I experienced very quick and good service from where I normally sit and the vendor can either pull a scooter to thier place or just leave it parked on the main walkway.

Up2U
October 25th, 2012, 17:23
I suppose I'm making a big deal out of nothing. The best pavement was the walking paths as the road is abused by cars and heavy trucks. I think of the guy in the wheel chair and what happens to the rest of pathways if other concessions do the same thing. Of course, there are many options too. All the concessions are gay friendly. There are gay sections opposite Samboon's/White House. The Rainbow flies the gay flag and has Free Wifi and pillows.

Neal
October 25th, 2012, 19:14
Up2U- Not a BIG deal out of nothing but it is what it is. Three people come to mind instantly. At Rit there are two motor chairs that arrive. One I believe with assistance can walk it and the other I am not sure as I do not know him well. I do believe I saw the one who I am friendly with get assistance and while I did not concentrate on what happened, I did see him make it to his cjhair. The third is me and I arrive on a stand up scooter but have always had a horrible time making it up the incline from that pathway to the sand and it was always near falling getting down and needed assistance from not one but TWO attendees to get off the sand to the walkway.
I find the distance about ten steps more but alas, there is no incline or decline to fall on. So see? We all wish for different things. This unfortunately makes me happy and more safe.

Up2U
October 25th, 2012, 19:59
I'm happy the new arrangement works for you and if I were in your situation I would happier too. But, my problem is that the City spent a lot of time and money for beautification of the beach and the entire walkway could be lost if other concessions do the same. I respect your view and I'm sure you do mine. :salute:

Oh I do respect your view and for the most point agree. The problem is that this isThailand and that this was NOT properly thought of. I do n't hink this was the "best" solution for myself or others but it is what it is. I also don't agree with chopping down all these beautiful trees in the parking lot, the place where I sit at Niyom's Place, and what they did to the trees at Beach Road. I think it was the stupidest thing they could have done to start chopping away at 10 am when customers were there when they could have started at 7 am or after 4pm BUT what can I do. Nothing. I would rather have the walkway, the shade and maybe some cement steps to get up the incline. There were a lot of other options but alas, this is the one that they chose and this is the one I live with. :dontknow:

Up2U
October 26th, 2012, 17:25
Just another note. I was talking to friends and they told me the berms or sand wall was there for a purpose. It is for flood control and mitigates wash-outs. Before reaching the gay concessions along the pathway, actually the old gay area (before the shift), you can see sand-bags placed there by the City. Here's another pic.